Slowest wheel change ever?

CMcBain
4/28/2018 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 1:50pm
I'm just going to go ahead and start this topic, I haven't changed a wheel on WP forks or factory Lugs, but that was pretty ridiculous. If anyone has any closeups of the axle/lug setup on Andersons wheel that'd be cool. ML512? I also found it humorous that the mechanic was wearing goggles while doing the wheel change... Do they get sponsored too? All I could think of was "For a f*&*N Tickle"?? You can bet that team Husky will be practicing wheel changes this week!
|
Sully
4/28/2018 7:28pm
Sounds like you're assuming that the axle a rotor were fine. My guess would be they were jacked up, and that's what caused the professional mechanics to have a hard time changing it in the amount of time it would have taken you from your couch...
As for the goggles, guess you didn't notice how dusty the track was? I'd probably have been wearing them, too.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
4/28/2018 7:34pm
Two laps = 1 min 40 seconds. Without setting out your tools ( have them in a backpack) see how long it takes you to get your front tire swapped start to finish. If you can do it in 2 minutes, I’d be impressed!
Ebs
4/28/2018 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 7:36pm
Less than 2 minutes from him pulling off to realizing whats wrong to getting him back out there. That's slow? You watch too much NASCAR.
MotoX85
4/28/2018 7:37pm
Yea, way to slow. Needed some drama to try and get people to watch Vegas. Couple more weeks of GPs and then the nationals start.

The Shop

Beeby
4/28/2018 7:38pm
Yeah it’s painful to watch when a championship is to play for but the pressure of that championship is also on those guys that also work their arses off. I’ve struggled to get the spindle through a front wheel in my garage with no time pressure. It’s not like they practice it like F1. To me the pressure getting to them shows how much it means.
4/28/2018 7:41pm
IF they run the acerbis disk cover it has a built in spacer which isn’t straight forward to install from what i’ve heard. They did fine but I do think they will be doing some fire drills this week
ML512
Fantasy
36th
4/28/2018 7:44pm
IF they run the acerbis disk cover it has a built in spacer which isn’t straight forward to install from what i’ve heard. They did fine...
IF they run the acerbis disk cover it has a built in spacer which isn’t straight forward to install from what i’ve heard. They did fine but I do think they will be doing some fire drills this week
The wheel that came off had a brake disc guard that mounts with a spacer. It appears the spare wheel that was ready was set up with standard spacers and went on without one. As a note, they run Talon hubs which use their own spacer.
yzfmonster
4/28/2018 7:48pm
Notice that the KTM mechanic was right there as well, even lending Husky a bike stand. And KTM's rider has the most to gain by Anderson's misfortune. The "team" (KTM/Husky ) alliance was intriguing to watch--class acts on both sides.
CMcBain
4/28/2018 7:49pm
I actually went back and looked at it and it is pretty quick. No doubt quicker than I could do it. It just seemed like it took forever watching it at race speed. I still feel like it could have gone smoother. As far as the the axle being damaged perhaps but the spare wheel didn't have a bent disc which is when they got slowed down. I just thought that they wouldn't drop the wheel spacer like I always do, or would have some sort of hub/lug that would make it easier. Didn't mean any disrespect from the couch-no doubt they were in full panic mode.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
4/28/2018 7:49pm
ML512 wrote:
The wheel that came off had a brake disc guard that mounts with a spacer. It appears the spare wheel that was ready was set up...
The wheel that came off had a brake disc guard that mounts with a spacer. It appears the spare wheel that was ready was set up with standard spacers and went on without one. As a note, they run Talon hubs which use their own spacer.
Oi, can you find out what Anderson yelled out as he left the mechanics area please? I promise not to Photoshop you, at least not until a good opportunity comes up anyway.Laughing
Rabbit
4/28/2018 7:51pm
Tomac takes longer to pick up his bike and get going after a tip over.
toroP
4/28/2018 7:56pm
Rabbit wrote:
Wink
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
4/28/2018 8:00pm
yzfmonster wrote:
Notice that the KTM mechanic was right there as well, even lending Husky a bike stand. And KTM's rider has the most to gain by Anderson's...
Notice that the KTM mechanic was right there as well, even lending Husky a bike stand. And KTM's rider has the most to gain by Anderson's misfortune. The "team" (KTM/Husky ) alliance was intriguing to watch--class acts on both sides.
I noticed that too. I think as long as the championship lands under the KTM/Husky roof they'll be happy no matter who wins it.

This will be Husky's first big bike SX Championship right? If so, glad it's Anderson that will deliver it to them. Husky/Hewitt stuck by Anderson all those years and it will finally pay off for them. Great to see the white bikes have success as well.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
4/28/2018 8:05pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
Oi, can you find out what Anderson yelled out as he left the mechanics area please? I promise not to Photoshop you, at least not until...
Oi, can you find out what Anderson yelled out as he left the mechanics area please? I promise not to Photoshop you, at least not until a good opportunity comes up anyway.Laughing
I think all of us are wondering what Anderson said. Pretty sure there was a few curse words in there so not sure we'll get the full version of it if any. Hope so.

Hey Anderson, stop lurking and post under an alias.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
4/28/2018 8:06pm
It was actually pretty quick, but it did look like they spun their wheels a little with something that wasn't cooperating.
calvinm48
4/28/2018 8:10pm
Slow AF
ISDE guys do a tire change in like 3mins.
Everyone was in a panic. I get it, not ideal situation by any means. He’ll lock it up in Vegas, just a little suspense.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
4/28/2018 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 8:16pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think all of us are wondering what Anderson said. Pretty sure there was a few curse words in there so not sure we'll get the...
I think all of us are wondering what Anderson said. Pretty sure there was a few curse words in there so not sure we'll get the full version of it if any. Hope so.

Hahaha no doubt but, it sounded like he said "that's racing" or something? I'm probably way off, just curious.

EDIT: May not have been him that yelled out either?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
4/28/2018 8:27pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think all of us are wondering what Anderson said. Pretty sure there was a few curse words in there so not sure we'll get the...

EZZA 95B wrote:
Hahaha no doubt but, it sounded like he said "that's racing" or something? I'm probably way off, just curious. EDIT: May not have been him that...
Hahaha no doubt but, it sounded like he said "that's racing" or something? I'm probably way off, just curious.

EDIT: May not have been him that yelled out either?
Oh he definitely said something just not sure what he said.

Any of you insiders have that info yet lol.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
4/28/2018 8:32pm
Should have a bag of tools for front wheel change with the front wheel, bag of tools for rear wheel change with the rear wheel. Would've shaved a couple of seconds for the mechanic digging thru that back pack for the right stuff
luna966
4/28/2018 8:38pm
I'm wondering why deano pulled into the pits? Possible he got signaled to pull off incase they needed to poach a part off his bike?
ktmwoods
4/28/2018 8:40pm
Rabbit wrote:
bwaaaa hahahaha that shit is funny
Xeno
4/28/2018 8:55pm
A front wheel change takes longer than a rear wheel change. That’s because of the spacers and the fork lugs can rotate out of alignment.
We practiced a lot of wheel changes for Baja races. The absolute fastest a rear wheel can be changed during a race is 30 seconds- and that’s with all the tools laid out ahead of time. A front wheel takes around 60 seconds.
4/28/2018 9:03pm
A few things I noticed the teams need to work on.

Piss off the hand tools. Have a cordless impact gun with a 10mm for the axle pinch bolts ready. Same thing have the front axle nut socket ready.

Spread the pads once the wheel is out. You can see the husky guys trying to put the new wheel in and then have to remove it and spread the pads open.

Im sure they will be practicing these in the future.

MR. X
4/28/2018 9:09pm
He went 2 laps on a supercross track ,thats less then 2 minutes .
TeamGreen
4/28/2018 9:31pm
Imagine how slow it seemed to Jason...
FWYT
4/28/2018 9:34pm
Xeno wrote:
A front wheel change takes longer than a rear wheel change. That’s because of the spacers and the fork lugs can rotate out of alignment. We...
A front wheel change takes longer than a rear wheel change. That’s because of the spacers and the fork lugs can rotate out of alignment.
We practiced a lot of wheel changes for Baja races. The absolute fastest a rear wheel can be changed during a race is 30 seconds- and that’s with all the tools laid out ahead of time. A front wheel takes around 60 seconds.
And you guys are using an impact, have things like spacers that stay with the wheels and little tricks like
tapering the back edge of the brake pad so the disk slides in easier, too, right? So under the circumstances; not too bad.
NorCal 50+
4/28/2018 9:35pm
Mechanicals are part of racing. This has probably been mentioned, but Anderson jumping in like he was going to get it done made it look like his crew was messing up, bottom line. I was thinking, DUDE you don't do that!
ob
4/28/2018 9:38pm
They definitely could use some practice with that. There was a lot of fumbling around
ferencik73
4/28/2018 9:44pm
yzfmonster wrote:
Notice that the KTM mechanic was right there as well, even lending Husky a bike stand. And KTM's rider has the most to gain by Anderson's...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I noticed that too. I think as long as the championship lands under the KTM/Husky roof they'll be happy no matter who wins it. This will...
I noticed that too. I think as long as the championship lands under the KTM/Husky roof they'll be happy no matter who wins it.

This will be Husky's first big bike SX Championship right? If so, glad it's Anderson that will deliver it to them. Husky/Hewitt stuck by Anderson all those years and it will finally pay off for them. Great to see the white bikes have success as well.
The KTM mechanic is jade dungey, who’s originally from Minnesota (Minnesota nice) & maybe it was just instinct for him to help out a rider especially a top rider who used to train with his brother Ryan dungey. It might not have anything todo with the teams or their competition.

Post a reply to: Slowest wheel change ever?

The Latest