Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 3:55am
Anyone use this type of method before? Any advice welcomed, thanks

|
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
5/8/2021 7:22pm
Yes I have.
Not that brand of plugs but a similar system.

I have done maybe 8 pipes or more with my set up.
After about six and while I was heating a dent with acetylene/oxy set up my air inlet gave out.
How did I know?
The pipe blew one way while the valve went another. Pipe blew about 7 feet to my right and the valve about 30 feet the other. It was quite an explosion.
Air pressure set around 50 pounds or whatever the instructions says.

My lesson is not to let heat stay in the pipe once done. Get that heat out but be super careful about relieving it.
Wear gloves and eye pro.
Make sure if a seal goes the pipe cannot launch into you.
I did mine all outside on a work bench set up.

I had no experience with using a torch. But I wouldn’t use anything else.
Bman_145
5/8/2021 8:06pm
Ive done this many times. Lock the pipe in a bench vice. Start with low PSI as the heat will make the air expand and raise the psi. Mapp gas and start on the outside of the dent working it around the area. Be careful around seams and sharp folds as you could get pin holes that would need to be welded back up. Go slow.

And yes, wear all the right safety gear. Even hearing protection in case it goes really wrong.
5/8/2021 8:51pm
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Yes I have. Not that brand of plugs but a similar system. I have done maybe 8 pipes or more with my set up. After about...
Yes I have.
Not that brand of plugs but a similar system.

I have done maybe 8 pipes or more with my set up.
After about six and while I was heating a dent with acetylene/oxy set up my air inlet gave out.
How did I know?
The pipe blew one way while the valve went another. Pipe blew about 7 feet to my right and the valve about 30 feet the other. It was quite an explosion.
Air pressure set around 50 pounds or whatever the instructions says.

My lesson is not to let heat stay in the pipe once done. Get that heat out but be super careful about relieving it.
Wear gloves and eye pro.
Make sure if a seal goes the pipe cannot launch into you.
I did mine all outside on a work bench set up.

I had no experience with using a torch. But I wouldn’t use anything else.
This is exactly why I would never use air and heat. You're making a pressure cooker bomb. Get a Hydroforce Blow out Kit. it uses water to push the dents out so its WAY Safer. I've blow out seams on pipes and it spits a small stream of water and thats it. no dangerous explosion.
5/9/2021 6:00am
Just did this last night with the same kit. Worked great. Zero issues. Dents almost 100% gone. Just watch your gauge.

The Shop

Mucktub
5/9/2021 8:14am
My dad made a setup about 25 yes ago, made clamping setup with a valve from an old inner tube braised to it for the larger end and a piece of tight fitting rubber pipe with a hand file wooden handle stuffed into it all secured with jubilee clips. I used to shit myself when we were blowing dents out, how we didn't get seriously hurt I don't t know. Funny the things you used to do without really considering the consequences.

We quickly learned that around 30psi would get most dents out nicely, the more you have to do it the thinner and weaker the pipe seems to get.
lumpy790
5/9/2021 12:08pm
I do not let the pressure get that high
FHKRacingZ
5/9/2021 12:08pm
As an engineer who designs and builds ASME pressure vessels, I can assure you this is a terrible idea...

If one of them seam welds let go under pressure, you won’t have a face left...

The juice ain’t worth the squeeze on this!
Rovalova
5/9/2021 12:44pm
You must make sure that your pipe is completely free of carbon and oil, burn it out then wash the pipe out and dry properly before you plug it up to start (if you dont things can go BOOM) also I never go over 30psi and use a hnad pump to control pressure never an air compressor. Good luck
bad juju
5/9/2021 8:30pm
thanks everyone, gonna go hydro for this repair.
SilverSpurs
5/9/2021 9:37pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
As an engineer who designs and builds ASME pressure vessels, I can assure you this is a terrible idea... If one of them seam welds let...
As an engineer who designs and builds ASME pressure vessels, I can assure you this is a terrible idea...

I've been doing it for donkey's years this way.
The key is to have a relief valve so the air pressure regulates with the heat. A screw like a Carby bowl drain works well.

30 psi is way too much: more like 5 psi.
Be happy with 90 to 95%. Trying to remove deep creases and dints across weld seams will have you burning holes or stewing the steel.
Thank you.
Pigdog
5/9/2021 10:22pm
What a bunch of pansies. Clamp her up, 60psi and cherry red, comes up like a new one.

You have to get your balls out of your missus’ handbag first though.
FHKRacingZ
5/9/2021 10:35pm
Pigdog wrote:
What a bunch of pansies. Clamp her up, 60psi and cherry red, comes up like a new one. You have to get your balls out of...
What a bunch of pansies. Clamp her up, 60psi and cherry red, comes up like a new one.

How does that saying go?

“If you’re gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough?”
KMC440
5/10/2021 1:09am
Pigdog wrote:
What a bunch of pansies. Clamp her up, 60psi and cherry red, comes up like a new one. You have to get your balls out of...

FHKRacingZ wrote:
How does that saying go?

“If you’re gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough?”
Straight from the Jason Pierre-Paul Aerial Fireworks Display Academy.
Pigdog
5/10/2021 1:39am
No point in doing things by halves. Polish her up with the 9 inch grinder afterwards, then Robert’s your mothers brother.
Skerby
5/10/2021 6:51am
I use tie wire to secure the plugs. It works 90% of the time, then boom! Point away from windows and humans.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
5/10/2021 8:19am
This is exactly why I would never use air and heat. You're making a pressure cooker bomb. Get a Hydroforce Blow out Kit. it uses water...
This is exactly why I would never use air and heat. You're making a pressure cooker bomb. Get a Hydroforce Blow out Kit. it uses water to push the dents out so its WAY Safer. I've blow out seams on pipes and it spits a small stream of water and thats it. no dangerous explosion.
Exactly.
Since my face holds up my hairline, I may as well keep it intact. Shards of metal pipe in my cheek, mouth and eyes seem like a really bad idea.
Talisker
5/10/2021 9:07am
Just send it to a pipe repair shop. Let them take all the risk.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
5/10/2021 11:30am
I've done it this way with no problems, but it is admittedly dangerous. I don't go over 5 psi and I wince the whole time I'm doing it. 30+ is asking for trouble. If you accidentally ignite anything inside the pipe you've made a bomb.

It would be smarter to use something not compressible like water or at least an inert gas like nitrogen.
stillwelding
5/10/2021 12:19pm
Mucktub wrote:
My dad made a setup about 25 yes ago, made clamping setup with a valve from an old inner tube braised to it for the larger...
My dad made a setup about 25 yes ago, made clamping setup with a valve from an old inner tube braised to it for the larger end and a piece of tight fitting rubber pipe with a hand file wooden handle stuffed into it all secured with jubilee clips. I used to shit myself when we were blowing dents out, how we didn't get seriously hurt I don't t know. Funny the things you used to do without really considering the consequences.

We quickly learned that around 30psi would get most dents out nicely, the more you have to do it the thinner and weaker the pipe seems to get.

WTF, is a Jubilee Clip? Grinning
Tracktor
5/10/2021 1:05pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
As an engineer who designs and builds ASME pressure vessels, I can assure you this is a terrible idea... If one of them seam welds let...

I've been doing it for donkey's years this way. The key is to have a relief valve so the air pressure regulates with the heat. A...
The key is to have a relief valve so the air pressure regulates with the heat. A screw like a Carby bowl drain works well.

Be happy with 90 to 95%. Trying to remove deep creases and dints across weld seams will have you burning holes or stewing the steel.
Thank you.
What dent comes out with 5 psi? Even 30 is low you need 40-60 for most dents.

Preheat pipe especially area around dent to burn inside carbon off. Use a pressure gauge to monitor. Map or acetylene torch. tapping around dents sometimes helps them move if stubborn. Cover plugs with wet towel if concerned it will slow velocity. Use eye/face protection.

Done quite a few with both a home made rig and a custom made one....
biondo
5/10/2021 1:37pm
Hi I made a plug from 1 1/2” rubber plumbing cap with hose clamp with presta valve from old
Bicycle tube for large end ...and small rubber plug on tip with both tie wired for safety.. I cleaned inside really well with engine degreasers and hosed out with lots of water! Learned 30psi is max pressure or less ! Had too much first time it sounds like a bomb 💣 when rubber cap blows !!
I had some major dents the only one that gave me trouble was on the seam...
I used my dental lab casting torch with oxygen propane to heat needs to be almost reddish white for dents to pop out ...just go slowly....and I found tapping with small hammer helped smooth out repair...Good Luck👍

5/10/2021 1:41pm
Tracktor wrote:
What dent comes out with 5 psi? Even 30 is low you need 40-60 for most dents. Preheat pipe especially area around dent to burn inside...

Preheat pipe especially area around dent to burn inside carbon off. Use a pressure gauge to monitor. Map or acetylene torch. tapping around dents sometimes helps them move if stubborn. Cover plugs with wet towel if concerned it will slow velocity. Use eye/face protection.

Ya agreed, 5psi of air wont do a thing. Mine I preheated, put in 30 psi, then heated. Watched the gauge and stopped when the gauge got to 60 psi. Very little evidence of a dent ever being there, and that was on a seam.
5/10/2021 1:47pm
Sounds like some people are being a bit melodramatic.

Ive never known any pipe to have enough fuel in to ignite. And in terms of pressure you can really get some in without worry. 5psi won’t do shit, I’d happily go up to 60without a concern. I’ve done dozens over the years. Never a problem. In fact I’m doing one tomorrow.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
5/10/2021 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 3:46am
At 5psi you have to heat the dent with an oxyacetylene torch. I use an old auto body hammer to tap around the dent and they pop right out.

As said before, I still hate doing them this way, but it works.
shawski
5/10/2021 5:16pm
Went from this
to this

Used oxy/acetylene and 50 psi and worked great
SilverSpurs
5/11/2021 12:54am
FHKRacingZ wrote:

I've been doing it for donkey's years this way. The key is to have a relief valve so the air pressure regulates with the heat. A...

Thank you.
Tracktor wrote:
What dent comes out with 5 psi? Even 30 is low you need 40-60 for most dents. Preheat pipe especially area around dent to burn inside...

You use Oxy to heat.

As I said I've done many.
Jeff_Brines
5/11/2021 3:55am
I've done a number using 30-40psi and MAP gas. Zero issues. I don't love it, but it does work.

You won't get anything out using MAP gas below 30psi.

Post a reply to: Sketchy pipe repair?

The Latest