Skegness beach race 2022

Teejay
Fantasy
889th
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2022 10:48am
Having another go at Skegness this year, is anyone else going/ riding? Was supposed to do it on my RM 250 but blew it up 2 weeks ago 🤦🏻‍♂️ So having to do it on a 250f, not ideal but should be ok. Looking forward to it though hopefully the tide doesn’t come in like last year!
|
philG
10/29/2022 12:22pm
Hardest beach race of them all in the UK .

Fit an expansion tank .

Bruce372
10/29/2022 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2022 1:23pm
Skegness is my home town and now I live in California, but one day, I wanna do that race. I could pit out of my mums driveway and quite literally ride to the start gate!
Bruce372
10/29/2022 1:23pm
There is even a bike shop in skegness on Roman Bank that had a couple of ktm450s when I walked past last winter.... shoulda picked one up lol
10/29/2022 1:28pm
philG wrote:

Fit an expansion tank .

I thought Barmouth was the hardest, fucking hell that shit is hard.

The Shop

philG
10/29/2022 2:31pm
philG wrote:

Fit an expansion tank .

Nowhere near as hard as Skegness.

I did commentary at Barmouth this year, and its a great event, but its a 5 moto format, with 6 or 7 classes running over 2 days, the beach is damp sand that churns up real good, and gives a proper good track, in quite a small area, but you can drive onto the beach with a car and not get stuck, as its quite compacted in most places until the bikes get on it .

Its still hard, dont get me wrong, but nothing like Skeggy.

I was part of the team that put on the first 3 races at Skegness, and you cant get on there with anything other than a quad , or a tracked vehicle, unless it has huge tyres on it , as its not sand, but finely crushed shells, its so dry that you can barely make sandcastles with it .

Also the beach has a weird contour.. you cant see the waters edge from the prom, as it is a long way below the level of the sand, and again , i commentated there for 3 years, you cant even see the riders down the straight from the prom as they are down the slope.

Where they have to dig it out under the pier , to get to the other side, we had to dig at least 8 to 10 feet to get the clearance, and never hit water , as the table there is that low.

I think last year they had a big storm , and the beach got flooded out, they did well to get it to run.

There is a bit of beach just up the coast from Skegness that you can ride on, but its nothing like the beach in the town.

I havent got to Weymouth for their race, which is a beach cross like Barmouth, similar format but just a single day , always gets a good crowd, my mate went for a 'quiet weekend' and had a hotel right by the bit of the beach where they run it .

All 4 UK races have their own pro's and cons, i did Weston 3 times in the first 4 years, but got fed up of the fact that the track was designed to stop you getting round, and didnt bother again, but i have been to watch and pit crew numerous times since.

Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/29/2022 2:49pm
philG wrote:

Fit an expansion tank .

philG wrote:
Nowhere near as hard as Skegness. I did commentary at Barmouth this year, and its a great event, but its a 5 moto format, with 6...
Nowhere near as hard as Skegness.

I did commentary at Barmouth this year, and its a great event, but its a 5 moto format, with 6 or 7 classes running over 2 days, the beach is damp sand that churns up real good, and gives a proper good track, in quite a small area, but you can drive onto the beach with a car and not get stuck, as its quite compacted in most places until the bikes get on it .

Its still hard, dont get me wrong, but nothing like Skeggy.

I was part of the team that put on the first 3 races at Skegness, and you cant get on there with anything other than a quad , or a tracked vehicle, unless it has huge tyres on it , as its not sand, but finely crushed shells, its so dry that you can barely make sandcastles with it .

Also the beach has a weird contour.. you cant see the waters edge from the prom, as it is a long way below the level of the sand, and again , i commentated there for 3 years, you cant even see the riders down the straight from the prom as they are down the slope.

Where they have to dig it out under the pier , to get to the other side, we had to dig at least 8 to 10 feet to get the clearance, and never hit water , as the table there is that low.

I think last year they had a big storm , and the beach got flooded out, they did well to get it to run.

There is a bit of beach just up the coast from Skegness that you can ride on, but its nothing like the beach in the town.

I havent got to Weymouth for their race, which is a beach cross like Barmouth, similar format but just a single day , always gets a good crowd, my mate went for a 'quiet weekend' and had a hotel right by the bit of the beach where they run it .

All 4 UK races have their own pro's and cons, i did Weston 3 times in the first 4 years, but got fed up of the fact that the track was designed to stop you getting round, and didnt bother again, but i have been to watch and pit crew numerous times since.

Yeah the track at ingoldmells is great to ride through winter where everywhere else is flooded. Last year was a weird one, we got up Sunday morning and the track was under around 6 ft of water in places, turned the usual dry powder into sinking sand. Someone told my wife about it early on, she rang me and I thought she was taking the piss until
I looked at the track 😄 Hopefully it’ll stay dry this year.
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/29/2022 2:56pm
Bruce372 wrote:
There is even a bike shop in skegness on Roman Bank that had a couple of ktm450s when I walked past last winter.... shoulda picked one...
There is even a bike shop in skegness on Roman Bank that had a couple of ktm450s when I walked past last winter.... shoulda picked one up lol
I could see how it would be appealing to leave California in November to do a 3 hour rainy beach race in Lincolnshire! 😄
philG
10/29/2022 3:00pm
Bruce372 wrote:
There is even a bike shop in skegness on Roman Bank that had a couple of ktm450s when I walked past last winter.... shoulda picked one...
Teejay wrote:
I could see how it would be appealing to leave California in November to do a 3 hour rainy beach race in Lincolnshire! 😄
I see a deal here... borrow a bike to do Skeggy, you loan one out for world vets at Glen Helen.

I have a 450 Husky , if you can get here by thursday LOL.
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/29/2022 3:02pm
Haha sounds a great plan, will see you Friday night for a beer then Bruce!
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
10/29/2022 3:06pm
Last time and the only time I did a beach race was barmouth and it was that long ago my old man was still footing the bill. Wouldn’t mind having another blast next year, are they really that tough going on the bike though?
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/29/2022 3:23pm
luke11 wrote:
Last time and the only time I did a beach race was barmouth and it was that long ago my old man was still footing the...
Last time and the only time I did a beach race was barmouth and it was that long ago my old man was still footing the bill. Wouldn’t mind having another blast next year, are they really that tough going on the bike though?
As long as you don’t cook it it shouldn’t be too bad, just got to be prepared to strip, clean and re grease everything as the salt gets everywhere and instantly starts corroding everything.
teamddr
10/29/2022 3:25pm
Wouldn’t do Skegness if I was twenty years younger, I’ll leave it to the mad dogs and Englishmen. Fair play to anyone giving it a go.
Bruce372
10/29/2022 3:36pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Teejay wrote:
philG wrote:
I see a deal here... borrow a bike to do Skeggy, you loan one out for world vets at Glen Helen. I have a 450 Husky...
I see a deal here... borrow a bike to do Skeggy, you loan one out for world vets at Glen Helen.

I have a 450 Husky , if you can get here by thursday LOL.
I could do 2023. I even ride a husky 450,.lol
Bruce372
10/29/2022 3:41pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Teejay wrote:
Living in California is cool, but it does come with many compromises
philG
10/29/2022 4:05pm
luke11 wrote:
Last time and the only time I did a beach race was barmouth and it was that long ago my old man was still footing the...
Barmouth honestly, its a tough track, but no long straights to speak of, but it does get rough over the weekend.

This year the weather was shocking on the saturday and the track was fine, its all about not murdering the bike , the track is designed to be raced round, not to stop you getting round, it has a few small well placed jumps, and that is it.

There are no easy beach races, whichever they are , riding or bike wise, but they are great fun.

MXMattii
10/29/2022 5:24pm
Do they have beach races in the USA? Because a big race in Cali or Florida, or just a big sand race in Vegas... It would suite the new World Cup Beach Racing!
LungButter
10/29/2022 8:34pm
MXMattii wrote:
Do they have beach races in the USA? Because a big race in Cali or Florida, or just a big sand race in Vegas... It would...
Do they have beach races in the USA? Because a big race in Cali or Florida, or just a big sand race in Vegas... It would suite the new World Cup Beach Racing!
The enviro nuts would never let us get away with it here. You know, freedom and all that right?

We did get to do some WORCS races at Pismo Beach years ago, I still got a grenaded KX 450 in the garage from that. Starting to look like that ol girl may never run again 🤣
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/29/2022 9:04pm
MXMattii wrote:
Do they have beach races in the USA? Because a big race in Cali or Florida, or just a big sand race in Vegas... It would...
Lake Havasu WORCS is pretty sandy !
Sidecar
10/30/2022 12:56am
My brother and I have just done the Weston beach race on my KX500 powered sidecar and we are off to Skegness with the old girl next weekend… it’s about time you posted a comment on Vital Rob, I know your seeing this and you have an account on here Tongue

philG
10/30/2022 4:04am
Cant wait for your take on Skeggy, would go but i am Commentating at Cadwell, for the last round of the British Supermoto Championship.

i bet you £10 you think of me halfway round the first lap. 'i told you it was deep' .

Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/30/2022 4:08am
Haha I know what I’m getting myself into, looking forward to it, but yes on lap one I will probably be thinking to myself “is this actually fun?”

Always takes me 20 mins or so to get into an enduro, after the initial chaos I usually have fun. The path to the pits and down to the start are the worst at Skeg when you’re doing 3mph!
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
10/30/2022 4:21am
MXMattii wrote:
They’ve had some on the east coast. I raced one at Virginia Beach back in 2000 I believe. It wasn’t the size of the UK races, but it was a ton of fun, or it was for me anyway as I grew up riding deep sand. They were typical moto formats, so it wasn’t anything too gnarly. The UK beach races are another world of crazy though. They look fun, kinda lol.
philG
10/30/2022 5:34am
Teejay wrote:
Haha I know what I’m getting myself into, looking forward to it, but yes on lap one I will probably be thinking to myself “is this...
Haha I know what I’m getting myself into, looking forward to it, but yes on lap one I will probably be thinking to myself “is this actually fun?”

Always takes me 20 mins or so to get into an enduro, after the initial chaos I usually have fun. The path to the pits and down to the start are the worst at Skeg when you’re doing 3mph!
Oh yes, i laughed the first year when people were crashing just riding to the start, was hilarious.

I have known people sit out the start, and let the mayhem subside, save their energy and bike, by chilling till the blockages clear, 2 of my retirements were as a result of getting stuck on the first lap.

I have commentated there wearing shorts in December.. hope its decent weather.
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
10/30/2022 6:02am
I think letting them all go on the start is a solid plan unless you’re planning on winning it. The holding area as carnage before even getting to the start with everyone fighting to get down there.

I’d have been doing the 3 hour race again this year but after having covid 3 weeks ago I still have got a wheezy throat and cough so decided to do the Saturday sprint instead.
SEEMEFIRST
10/30/2022 8:04am
Sidecar wrote:
My brother and I have just done the Weston beach race on my KX500 powered sidecar and we are off to Skegness with the old girl...
My brother and I have just done the Weston beach race on my KX500 powered sidecar and we are off to Skegness with the old girl next weekend… it’s about time you posted a comment on Vital Rob, I know your seeing this and you have an account on here Tongue

Not knowing anything about sidecar racing, the expansion chamber looks like an odd/cruel route.

I assume there's no room for the thing in a normal configuration.
LungButter
10/30/2022 8:16am
langhammx wrote:
Lake Havasu WORCS is pretty sandy !
Is it still at Crazy Horse Campground?

Just as much round rock as sand there.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/30/2022 8:28am
LungButter wrote:
Is it still at Crazy Horse Campground?

Just as much round rock as sand there.
I’m not sure of the current layout. I’ve never raced it, just going off pics and race reports from the past. I’m sure it’s nothing like these full sand races.
Sidecar
10/30/2022 10:38am
Sidecar wrote:
My brother and I have just done the Weston beach race on my KX500 powered sidecar and we are off to Skegness with the old girl...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Not knowing anything about sidecar racing, the expansion chamber looks like an odd/cruel route.

I assume there's no room for the thing in a normal configuration.
All sidecarcross outfits run a big expansion chamber through the sidecar, or route the exhaust that way on a four stroke, our outfit runs really well with this pipe, jetted for sea level etc… she pulls like a train and really hangs onto gears well…
LungButter
10/30/2022 11:06am
langhammx wrote:
I’m not sure of the current layout. I’ve never raced it, just going off pics and race reports from the past. I’m sure it’s nothing like...
I’m not sure of the current layout. I’ve never raced it, just going off pics and race reports from the past. I’m sure it’s nothing like these full sand races.
Copy. If it’s the same venue it was ‘03-‘09 there is a lot of small round rock mixed in and the whole upper section is chopped out hard pack.

It’s a gnarly f’n race though. Short length course gets absolutely brutally rough by Sunday when the Pros go.
Spergen
10/30/2022 1:07pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Skegness is my home town and now I live in California, but one day, I wanna do that race. I could pit out of my mums...
Skegness is my home town and now I live in California, but one day, I wanna do that race. I could pit out of my mums driveway and quite literally ride to the start gate!
Good old skegvagas, can't imagine why you moved? Still a favourite place of mine for a ride out in summer on the Duke for a coffee

Post a reply to: Skegness beach race 2022

The Latest