‘Sir’ Jeffrey Herlings is a Knight, after receiving Dutch Royal Decoration

Sunhouse
1/13/2019 11:48pm
Can’t we be happy that MX is getting some valuable recognition? I remember the Dutch members complaining about tracks closing. Maybe this can present mx in a better light to the Dutch public?
roninho
1/14/2019 1:00am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not aware of how things like this work over there , but it sounds like a big deal , especially to Jeffrey. So a huge...
I'm not aware of how things like this work over there , but it sounds like a big deal , especially to Jeffrey. So a huge congrats to him on getting it. If it's a huge deal to him , and he received it.....then that's pretty Freakin' awesome!
Question wrote:
You are right, I think it is a big deal too. It is not exactly the same in France as it is not a kingdom, from...
You are right, I think it is a big deal too. It is not exactly the same in France as it is not a kingdom, from my understanding it is like Lord in the UK, but to summarize, I think it is very very rare that athletes get this kind of award. That proves that Herlings brings moto mainstream in the Netherlands, which is cool to see. Congrats to him !
You can become 'member', 'knight', 'officer' and 'commander'.
Jeffrey has become Knight.
Per year roughly 2.500 people become member, and 300 knight. It used to be roughly 25 per year officer, and commander is less then 1 per year.

The member is often someone who has been a volunteer for a very long time (as in 25 years chairman of a sport club, etc.). Knight is seen as someone who has achieved something with a bit more impact (olympic sporters who won a medal get one). The officer title is often for business people. The Commander is very exclusive, for example one that has been given is to someone who was chairmen of Feyenoord and a leading dutch university for over 15 years. (like a nfl owner who also is chairmen of Stanford).
1/14/2019 1:12am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not aware of how things like this work over there , but it sounds like a big deal , especially to Jeffrey. So a huge...
I'm not aware of how things like this work over there , but it sounds like a big deal , especially to Jeffrey. So a huge congrats to him on getting it. If it's a huge deal to him , and he received it.....then that's pretty Freakin' awesome!
Question wrote:
You are right, I think it is a big deal too. It is not exactly the same in France as it is not a kingdom, from...
You are right, I think it is a big deal too. It is not exactly the same in France as it is not a kingdom, from my understanding it is like Lord in the UK, but to summarize, I think it is very very rare that athletes get this kind of award. That proves that Herlings brings moto mainstream in the Netherlands, which is cool to see. Congrats to him !
It's not like a Lord in the UK. To become a Lord you have to have been a member of parliament (MP). To be knighted (Sir) you have to have an outstanding contribution to what you do. Technically he should be addressed as Sir Jeffrey Herlings, that's how it works over here.

The Shop

steed 2.0
1/14/2019 1:38am
It's not like a Lord in the UK. To become a Lord you have to have been a member of parliament (MP). To be knighted (Sir)...
It's not like a Lord in the UK. To become a Lord you have to have been a member of parliament (MP). To be knighted (Sir) you have to have an outstanding contribution to what you do. Technically he should be addressed as Sir Jeffrey Herlings, that's how it works over here.
Lucifa.
1/14/2019 1:39am
Can someone tell me what being a knight means? Do you get paid for it? Are you better than your neighbor? At the pearly gate, do you choose your bunk? Is it just some label from the old boys club? Does anyone outside the commonwealth give 6 inches and a fuck?
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
1/14/2019 2:27am
Lucifa. wrote:
Can someone tell me what being a knight means? Do you get paid for it? Are you better than your neighbor? At the pearly gate, do...
Can someone tell me what being a knight means? Do you get paid for it? Are you better than your neighbor? At the pearly gate, do you choose your bunk? Is it just some label from the old boys club? Does anyone outside the commonwealth give 6 inches and a fuck?
Laughing
1/14/2019 4:15am
How many other countries acknowledge a MX rider in such a way if any way at all?

This award shows how cool NL is as a land. To acknowledge moto is great, we should all be happy as MX heads whether you like Jeff or not.

Congrats Jeff !!!!
Question
1/14/2019 5:19am
jeffro503 wrote:
Question wrote:
It's not like a Lord in the UK. To become a Lord you have to have been a member of parliament (MP). To be knighted (Sir)...

Ah sorry i mixed the house of lords and the royal titles.

I have searched a bit, and it is the same in the uk, it is also possible to be awarded as "knight" and so "sir".

Example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elton_John
"For his charitable work, John was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II on 24 February 1998"
BobbyM
1/14/2019 7:16am
Awesome, he's now up there with Decoster. Congrats to Jeff.
ruy
1/14/2019 7:42am
this one :laugh: awesome [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/13/317916/s1200_49949110_528574130983266_6344285944576737280_n.jpg[/img]
this one Laughing awesome

I like more this one
kage173
1/14/2019 12:28pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Can someone tell me what being a knight means? Do you get paid for it? Are you better than your neighbor? At the pearly gate, do...
Can someone tell me what being a knight means? a man awarded a nonhereditary title by the sovereign in recognition of merit or service and entitled to use the honorific “Sir” in front of his name.

Do you get paid for it? Don't think so

Are you better than your neighbor? No

At the pearly gate, do you choose your bunk? Definitely no

Is it just some label from the old boys club? Not even that

Does anyone outside the commonwealth give 6 inches and a fuck? See #4

Post a reply to: ‘Sir’ Jeffrey Herlings is a Knight, after receiving Dutch Royal Decoration

The Latest