Since we're questioning a few things after Brian Moreau's crash...

2/18/2020 8:39pm
I tried mounting my gopro under the visor (TLD SE-4), but found that it actually blocked a little of my vision. I typically am looking ahead with my eyes aimed somewhere close to below the visor, and the gopro encroached on that area.

Chin mounting is the best option. It gives the best perspective for spectators, and you as the rider dont even notice its there.

Currently rocking the Dango Gripper mount, but it doesn't quite fit right on the TLD SE-4. I'm told they are working on a revision that will fit the TLD SE-4 better.
GPR245
2/18/2020 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 9:48pm
In DH Mountain Bike racing the UCI only allows cameras to be mounted under the visor. I don’t know if that would affect vision of a rider looking far down the track as I’ve never mounted one there.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2020 9:52pm
Rider972 wrote:
A camera didn't hurt this kid lack of experience on a Pro Supercross track did. You guys have to be kidding me te GoPro would have...
A camera didn't hurt this kid lack of experience on a Pro Supercross track did. You guys have to be kidding me te GoPro would have just broken off. I am not sure what the FIM's reason for letting European Riders just hop onto a Profesional Supercross track is without having to go through the Futures program like American riders do but that is exactly why it was started to get young inexperienced riders a chance to race on a mellowed out track but still on the big stage and yes the FIM is the true governing body of supercross they stole it from the AMA on a technicality almost 20 years ago the AMA is there by name only. That kid never should have been out there in the first place so if you want to blame someone blame the FIM! I doubt camera no camera neck brace no neck brace or anything else would have helped him the way he went down was horrifying you knew right away something bad had happened. Thats why they wont release the crash footage they have it but its not something that should be plastered all over the internet. I just pray when the swelling goes down he will get full feeling back in his lower body. It can take 66 months for nerves to heal up so just send him positive comments and thoughts to help him in his recovery since the people who hold these events really dropped the ball with rider safety on this one.
Um, I think you're horribly confused on many of your facts, not the least of which is that Brian had been racing French Supercross events for quite a while before he landed here. It's not like it was his first time on a Supercross track.

The FIM stole it from the AMA? Wrong. The FIM is involved because it's classified as a World Championship series.

AMA there by name only? Wrong. Who do you think runs the events?

How do you know they won't release the footage? (Not that I particularly want to see it.)

From photos I've seen, the camera did break off. But I'd also suggest that there were "complications" after that.
2/18/2020 10:12pm
Is there any 3rd party footage out there of the crash or the medic response other than the photos online? Not that any of us need to see it, but I it would obviously be a critical piece of evidence to investigate how everything unfolded. I would think that someone captured this on film, but maybe not considering it was practice?

The Shop

2/19/2020 12:46am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 12:52am
I think Go Pro WANTS them on top of the helmet. So you know at a glance they have one on. Sells product. Its like a status symbol.
CPR
2/19/2020 1:37am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 1:38am

This is one of the best perspectives I've ever seen. Was thinking it's a chest mount?
Fraser
2/19/2020 2:08am
ML512 wrote:
It's a shame the session from GoPro didn't sell well. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/18/405195/s1200_31cKXd0Wv_L._AC.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/18/405196/s1200_s600_50F2B09A_6B81_4C21_8915_B3D6424679F5.jpg[/img]
It's a shame the session from GoPro didn't sell well.

Indeed, That's a photo of me from a few years back!. I'm on my third Gopro session now, still a few available on ebay luckily.I think its their best camera and I still mount it under the visor as above. A stone smashed one beyond repair, anotther drowned in the South Pacific after I forgot to close its door after charging.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
2/19/2020 2:28am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 2:29am
dboivin wrote:
run mine under visor so i don't snag trees. you just have to flip the view setting to what direction is up in the settings. (camera...
run mine under visor so i don't snag trees. you just have to flip the view setting to what direction is up in the settings. (camera is upside down).

I mount mine in the same way, Gives a great view. The new 8 automatically changes settings for you when mounted upside down.
2/19/2020 3:43am
I've worn one several times, and I even used to duct tape Hi8 camcorders to my helmet during Baja rides in the early 2000's. I'll have...
I've worn one several times, and I even used to duct tape Hi8 camcorders to my helmet during Baja rides in the early 2000's. I'll have to dig up some photos of that. Talk about adding a heavy load on top of the helmet...

But to your point, I don't think I've watched more than 5% of all the helmet cam footage I have. But maybe some day when i'm an old fogey in a recliner I'll dig into them.
Exactly my point. I wore the camcorder in the camelback with the wired cam taped to my helmet in the early 2000s. I’ve also worn newer HD go pros. But regardless of the quality, I just don’t care to re-watch it back. Reminds me of the people at a concert who are video taping the entire time on their cell phone, like they’re actually going to re watch that someday.
2/19/2020 4:13am
I've worn one several times, and I even used to duct tape Hi8 camcorders to my helmet during Baja rides in the early 2000's. I'll have...
I've worn one several times, and I even used to duct tape Hi8 camcorders to my helmet during Baja rides in the early 2000's. I'll have to dig up some photos of that. Talk about adding a heavy load on top of the helmet...

But to your point, I don't think I've watched more than 5% of all the helmet cam footage I have. But maybe some day when i'm an old fogey in a recliner I'll dig into them.
Exactly my point. I wore the camcorder in the camelback with the wired cam taped to my helmet in the early 2000s. I’ve also worn newer...
Exactly my point. I wore the camcorder in the camelback with the wired cam taped to my helmet in the early 2000s. I’ve also worn newer HD go pros. But regardless of the quality, I just don’t care to re-watch it back. Reminds me of the people at a concert who are video taping the entire time on their cell phone, like they’re actually going to re watch that someday.
Any time I've tried to get anyone to watch my cam footage, it takes about 2 minutes before their eyes start to glaze over.
I suppose my videos are just not exciting/interesting enough. They're a great idea, but are they really necessary? In my case probably not.
Ryguy125
2/19/2020 5:19am

Exactly my point. I wore the camcorder in the camelback with the wired cam taped to my helmet in the early 2000s. I’ve also worn newer...
Scrambled wrote:
Any time I've tried to get anyone to watch my cam footage, it takes about 2 minutes before their eyes start to glaze over. I suppose...
Any time I've tried to get anyone to watch my cam footage, it takes about 2 minutes before their eyes start to glaze over.
I suppose my videos are just not exciting/interesting enough. They're a great idea, but are they really necessary? In my case probably not.
I only wear mine to rewatch my crashes. Usually some good funny groans that i like to show my buddies
2/19/2020 5:56am
ML512 wrote:
It's a shame the session from GoPro didn't sell well. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/18/405195/s1200_31cKXd0Wv_L._AC.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/18/405196/s1200_s600_50F2B09A_6B81_4C21_8915_B3D6424679F5.jpg[/img]

I buy refurbished Session 5's and mount 'em under the visor or on the chin. In an enduro, you can't have something hanging off the top or side of your helmet or it'll just get ripped off by a tree. Ask me how I know this.

Forty
2/19/2020 7:14am
When these GoPro first came out I GoPro’ed the shit out of everything man moto, trails, MTB, snow board, parties hell I set it up at night to see what the damn cat was doing , I thought it was the coolest. I’ve got a pile of cameras and mounts and cards and endless video on my computer that I never watch ........except one race in 2012 where I mounted it facing behind me and I managed a hole shot and won.

It was interesting to see the movement behind me and how my buddies raced each other.

They are cool but for me the shine is gone. I’ll still hook one up if I MTB a new trail or if I ride a MTB trail for a future race it’s good to study some video.

PFitzG38
2/19/2020 7:37am
I’ve always mounted my gopro under my 6D visor. No worries, a side benefit is I can use it as a sun block. GuyB you are completely correct about the dangers of a cam on top your head. Common sense really. Ski helmets stopped making full face cause chin bars dig into the snow. Think about it
Fraser
2/19/2020 8:24am
I’ve been asked what mounts I use for the gopro under the visor- so here’s some pictures-

cody41
2/19/2020 10:30am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:43am
We might as well go to open face helmets, so the mouth piece does not dig into the ground.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/19/2020 10:43am
Why does everybody need a helmet camera anyways? I understand a professional racer or serious amateur could benefit from reviewing the footage. But why people (weekend...
Why does everybody need a helmet camera anyways? I understand a professional racer or serious amateur could benefit from reviewing the footage. But why people (weekend warrior to casual riders) are so fascinated by rewatching something they’ve already experienced in first person?
Probably the same morans that take pictures of their kids. You already know what they look like!

sarcasm
shuggs
2/19/2020 10:52am
With the advances in technology why does GoPro design square/ rectangular cameras?? Why not something long and slim (6cm long with lens in middle by 2cm deep) that could attach to underside or helmet peak?
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/19/2020 10:53am
soggy wrote:
rule number 1 of a spinal injury is keep them as still as possible. they were dragging him off the track by his armpits.
drifto614 wrote:
Exactly, someone had to have seen him pile drive himself. These cameras break away just like the visors do. If they are conscious, minimal movement and...
Exactly, someone had to have seen him pile drive himself. These cameras break away just like the visors do. If they are conscious, minimal movement and then first rule of thumb of a potential head or neck injury is neck brace or spineboard. They just dragged him off and then sat him upright. The kid has a fractured C7 vertebrae and he's being bounced around all the way back to the medic trailer.

honestly, i don't call for people organizations to be sued much. But I would have to heavily consider it if im Brian and/or his family if this injury is life altering, they violated his standard of care. those medical personnel shouldn't be allowed back on the track either.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/19/2020 10:53am
shuggs wrote:
With the advances in technology why does GoPro design square/ rectangular cameras?? Why not something long and slim (6cm long with lens in middle by 2cm...
With the advances in technology why does GoPro design square/ rectangular cameras?? Why not something long and slim (6cm long with lens in middle by 2cm deep) that could attach to underside or helmet peak?
^^ Scroll up they did, it was discontinued cause they didnt sell enough from the sounds of it.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
2/19/2020 12:49pm
I race MTB as well and most USACycling national races DO NOT allow the POV cameras.
rallendude
2/21/2020 7:33am
ML512 wrote:

Almost all off-road riders that use cameras use this mounting. A top mounted camera will get you yanked off the bike. I wouldn't think a top mounted camera was strong enough to cause a neck/spinal injury but I could see where it might add to the severity.

The session is a plenty capable camera. I love mine. And mounting under the visor just makes a lot more sense. I guess in a hard lawn dart situation the camera could be pushed through the goggles. That would be my only worry.
Mr. Info
2/21/2020 8:41am
Simple mount on the front fender and back fender just like NASCAR away from the rider.
JOSHJ
2/21/2020 8:54am
Not for nothing, but how is there no footage of this from the stands that has been leaked to shown EXACTLY what happened from start to finish. Granted to 2 photos tell a lot, but not the entire thing. Not trying to down play what the A-Stars crew did here, but a video would be more telling.
2/21/2020 9:04am
Scrambled wrote:
Any time I've tried to get anyone to watch my cam footage, it takes about 2 minutes before their eyes start to glaze over. I suppose...
For me doing track days its more fun for riding buddies to see my footage of them and me to see their footage of me. Other than that barring passing or a crash it gets kind of boring to watch, unless you are trying to improve by checking your line, braking, and accelerating points, and for moto jumping/landing points.

Post a reply to: Since we're questioning a few things after Brian Moreau's crash...

The Latest