Since we're questioning a few things after Brian Moreau's crash...

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2020 10:57 AM

Here's my .02. I'm questioning whether it's time for another form factor for Go Pro (or other brands) of action cameras.

I think the cameras and the footage they provide are amazing. They give us views that we'd never otherwise see, and open our eyes to what the riders really encounter out there. However, I'm starting to wonder whether the top of the helmet mounting is in a rider's best interest when it comes to safety.

Personally, I'd like to see another form factor that would allow for more compact mounting options. Something like what you see on the right.

Photo

Something like this could have a few benefits...like opening up under-visor options, and also moving the weight and mass more towards the center of the helmet...making it feel lighter and less cumbersome for the rider. It also removes the spike from the top of the helmet.

I'll be the first to concede that I'm not an engineer. I'm an end user. I also don't know if what I'm proposing is technically feasible. But I'm also thinking that there may be better options available for what we're trying to accomplish.

|

2/18/2020 11:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 11:11 AM

I've had this same thought many times, there has to be a better design/mounting location. Aside from the top of the helmet not being the safest mounting location it also looks ridiculous.

|

2/18/2020 11:11 AM

Was Brian wearing one when he crashed? It looks like he has a broken mount on top of his helmet in one of the photos.

I agree with the concept. Not sure how likely or feasible it would be for Gopro to change their design. The sensor is located behind the lens so but I'm sure it's possible with a full redesign The battery is most of the mass/weight so if they had a mini version with a very limited 30min battery it could be much smaller. It definitely seems like a better option to mount under the visor.

This would eliminate the whole "lawn dart" effect of the helmet hitting the dirt and being "staked" into the dirt, not allowing it to move/slide freely.

|

2/18/2020 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 11:23 AM

What would be cooler is if the action cams were modular/standardized in form factor (whatever that would be). Then helmet companies or manufacturers of whatever equipment to which they mount could make their product with a built in slot in the chinbar (remove the vent insert, pop in camera), crown, or wherever is deemed best/safest.

|

2/18/2020 11:19 AM

Doesnt Sony have a round camera that can mount under the visor or on the side of the helmet?

Something similar to these tactical cameras
Photo

|

2/18/2020 11:21 AM

I think A helmet camera was attributed to Michael Schumacher's head injury when skiing.

Maybe difficult to heavily conclude that it's a reality without more data?

|

2/18/2020 11:21 AM

How about the AMA step up with a rule to prevent wearing a device on top of the helmet? Let the camera vendors figure it out from there.

|

2/18/2020 11:32 AM

GoPros can be mounted under the visor, I'm pretty sure TWMX did a small article on it (in 2014?) I believe. Not honestly sure why most people don't mount it like that. Better POV, audio and safer.

|

2/18/2020 11:39 AM

Alex814 wrote:

How about the AMA step up with a rule to prevent wearing a device on top of the helmet? Let the camera vendors figure it out from there.

That rule is in place for 2 or 3 years now in the Netherlands (cant have a helmetcam).

|

2/18/2020 11:44 AM

I think here in Aus racing, helmets can not be retro fitted with cameras,
Disappointing, although this was to eleminate the possibility of the cameras causing any additional injuries.

|

2/18/2020 11:49 AM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

Disappointing, although this was to eleminate the possibility of the cameras causing any additional injuries.

Yeah not allowed in Australia since some utter clown affixed a camera to his helmet with wood screws.

|

2/18/2020 11:51 AM

It's a shame the session from GoPro didn't sell well.

Photo
Photo

|

2/18/2020 11:55 AM

USWE has one good gopro mount that you have on your chest but more close to your chin than gopros chest mount,

|

2/18/2020 11:57 AM

Maybe the lens should be part of the helmet and wireless transmit or small cable to a box on the bike with safety disconnect.

All I know is that the Medical crew does a great job and I would not try to second guess what they do.

|

2/18/2020 12:00 PM

Well seeing as most modern helmets have peaks that Magoo would be proud of , and do next to nothing for roost protection, sticking the camera under it has become more widespread in Europe . I struggle to find a useful helmet that actually stops roost , before the chin bar is on my chest.

|

2/18/2020 12:02 PM

Integrated camera resolves the issue------6D design team, are you listening? I'd pre-order in a heartbeat...

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

2/18/2020 12:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 12:07 PM

I've used the under the visor mount in the past with good success (profile pic), out of the way and don't catch on anything bush/trail riding. However recently I've switched to the Dango Gripper mount, that grabs the chin bar of the helmet. Either way the break-way of the camera from the helmet in the event of a crash is something I feel we have little to know knowledge on.

|

2/18/2020 12:05 PM

Under the visor or on the chin guard mounts seem great. But if I were in a crash, those 2 places seem like they could add injury. Eventually building the camera into the helmet seems like the logical choice. It can't be that far off.

|

2/18/2020 12:13 PM

|

2/18/2020 12:14 PM

ML512 wrote:

Photo
Photo

Id like to find a new Hero 5 session for cycling! So small, means aero & light plus looks better either situated underneath the saddle pointed backwards or under the stem. A traditional go pro in either spot is a bit of an eyesore IMO. Completely ruins the sleek look of a road cycle.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

2/18/2020 12:19 PM

ML512 wrote:

Photo
Photo

This is exactly my setup, give a much better video and perspective than mounting in the top of the helmet.

I’m not really convinced that the gopro is causing any injuries since the mounts break away relatively easily, but a simple improvement would be to have the mounts even more prone to breaking off in a crash. There would really need to be some testing on this though, without controlled conditions it’s just a guessing game and that helps nobody.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

2/18/2020 12:23 PM

Red Crawford wrote:

Integrated camera resolves the issue------6D design team, are you listening? I'd pre-order in a heartbeat...

Red,..
I hear ya, but these cameras change, it seems yearly, it would have to be a cartridge style insert, to keep up with the ever changing technology in the Gopro world. On top of that a $800 dollar helmet now becomes $1300 etc, with the camera built in. I'd be pretty pissed if I ate shit in my brand new helmet and it was a right off... but I get what your saying, it makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

|

2/18/2020 12:27 PM

Alex814 wrote:

In the Netherlands, it's not allowed by the Dutch federation KNMV to ride with GoPro (or other camera) on top of the helmet. But it's only for the National Races. GoPro is one of the sponsors of youthstream's MXGP World Championship.

|

High Quality videos on www.mxactive.com

2/18/2020 12:27 PM

run mine under visor so i don't snag trees. you just have to flip the view setting to what direction is up in the settings. (camera is upside down).

Photo

|

2/18/2020 12:33 PM

In New Zealand, we can’t run them in any MNZ event. It has been like this for about 4 years.
No accessories can be attached to helmet, this includes LITPro etc.

|

@TONY351KTM

2/18/2020 12:36 PM

ML512 wrote:

Photo
Photo

It would be awesome if that can some how be fitted with in the mouth piece of the helmet.

|

2/18/2020 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 12:39 PM

Does having a small plastic device mounted on the top of a helmet contribute to and/or increase the likelihood of traumatic brain or cervical injuries?

I ask that in a scientific sense. Has this question been tested and proven/disproven scientifically?

To what degree does the deviation from a perfectly cylindrical encasement (e.g. arai's philosophy) contribute to and/or increase the likelihood of traumatic brain injury? For instance, does the shape of Cooper Webb's helmet increase/decrease/have no impact on aforementioned outcomes? And visa versa.

These are interesting questions.

|

2/18/2020 12:43 PM

GTM wrote:

Red,..
I hear ya, but these cameras change, it seems yearly, it would have to be a cartridge style insert, to keep up with the ever changing technology in the Gopro world. On top of that a $800 dollar helmet now becomes $1300 etc, with the camera built in. I'd be pretty pissed if I ate shit in my brand new helmet and it was a right off... but I get what your saying, it makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

Your points are well placed. I had not considered a cartridge/slot as you suggested----but I see real advantages to your approach.

Of course, if I am a helmet manufacturer, then I'm kinda digging the cellphone model----planned obsolesence with every camera upgrade. 😄

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

2/18/2020 12:44 PM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Id like to find a new Hero 5 session for cycling! So small, means aero & light plus looks better either situated underneath the saddle pointed backwards or under the stem. A traditional go pro in either spot is a bit of an eyesore IMO. Completely ruins the sleek look of a road cycle.

No idea if still available, but I picked up a refurbed session 4 a year or two ago on ebay. Straight from gopro, cheap, and compact. I definitely prefer the session form factor to the standard.

|

2/18/2020 12:46 PM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

pdub187 wrote:

Yeah not allowed in Australia since some utter clown affixed a camera to his helmet with wood screws.

I think you'll find that the decision was because the helmets aren't tested with cameras fixed to them.

|