Since it's the off season. Here's my neck brace story

Related:
Create New Tag

11/19/2017 3:00 AM

I raced the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix this past weekend and I only remember bits and pieces because I landed on my head.

My buddy and I had been looking forward to it for a pretty long time. We had this great idea where we would buy discount Halloween costumes and maybe start a Lake Elsinore GP tradition by dressing up for each of our races.

Practice was fine, but in my first race I remember running off the side of the trail at some point and my only real memory from the race is when I remounted back on my bike. My fork guard and front brake line were ripped off and my visor was smashed. I remember thinking, "shit, another concussion." I don't really remember anything else from that day besides bits and pieces.

I wish I remembered more, because I obviously face planted due to the damage to my helmet, but the most interesting part was that the only other pain I had was on my spine right between my shoulder blades. The pain was pretty much right where the lower part of my leatt is in contact with my back. The brace transferred the force to a stronger part of my spine/body.

I really think it did save me from death or paralysis. I just figured I would share my story if anybody was on the fence about riding with one.

After the crash with my broken fork guard and visor.
Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2017 3:09 AM

Glad you're ok bro!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


11/19/2017 5:46 AM

If that's not lit kit award worthy then what is?

|

#1
KX125

11/19/2017 5:57 AM

First off, glad you are ok.

Secondly, allow for the annual off-season VitalMX neckbrace debate commence.

|

United States of America

11/19/2017 5:59 AM

People can say what they want about neck braces. I’d rather have one on during a bad crash than be laying there with a broken neck wondering what If I would have worn one. Glad you are ok!

|

11/19/2017 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 6:04 AM

If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand neck brace end up having a fractured vertebrae there.

Does your brace have the single support bar that is aligned with spine, or where there is one on each side?

Edit: glad you're ok. Nice costume. I've wanted to do something similar with a thrift store suit.

|

11/19/2017 6:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 7:18 AM

I wear one for peace of mind, but never really had to 'test' it. Its an older EVS unit. What would you guys say the best neck brace currently on the market is?

|

11/19/2017 6:40 AM

I think what really saved you is that cow onesie.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

11/19/2017 6:52 AM

Camp332 wrote:

First off, glad you are ok.

Secondly, allow for the annual off-season VitalMX neckbrace debate commence.

Why you gotta be such a Brotagonist, Bro!

|

11/19/2017 7:03 AM

you kept riding after you crashed and got knocked out? why

|

11/19/2017 7:04 AM

I no longer wear one but they can be safe, like the other guy Erik said though if you still feel pain go get it checked out. I was racing at Glen Helen coming down the first steep hill caught a kicker caused me to nose wheelie and slam head first into the bottom destroyed the neck brace I was wearing, kept having pain went had X-ray done and I broke my c-7 right where the brace ended.

|

Thank you,
Fly Racing, WPS, Dt-1, Mika Metals, Maxima, 100%, Motostuff, Factory Connection, Evs

11/19/2017 7:23 AM

Sorry about your nasty crash, but damn son you were looking like prime rib out there!

|

11/19/2017 7:56 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

you kept riding after you crashed and got knocked out? why

I feel like this is obvious, but I’ll bite. When you’re concussed, you’ll do some strange things. Been there, done that. You’re not even close to thinking correctly. Hence, having a concussion...

|

11/19/2017 8:37 AM

I used to wear a leatt. I raced xc and was going over a bridge made of logs and washed out, rammed my head into the bank of the creek. The next 5 days my collarbones hurt so bad i tried not to move at all. Not sure what woulda happened had i not had it on. But i used to have a phobia over a spinal cord injury and researched the hell out of it, and almost every story the rider said they jammed their head into the ground and their body kinda crumpled up

|

11/19/2017 8:39 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

you kept riding after you crashed and got knocked out? why

mxbrian15 wrote:

I feel like this is obvious, but I’ll bite. When you’re concussed, you’ll do some strange things. Been there, done that. You’re not even close to thinking correctly. Hence, having a concussion...

Ask Stew about Daytona...which he doesn't really remember.

I think we've all pretty much been there at one time. I finished an off-road race once with a nasty concussion...or at least I was told I did...I don't remember that entire week, still!

|

11/19/2017 9:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 9:03 AM

I’ll bite. Human nature to point to some protective device and go “Look guys, this piece saved me!” Or “My Dr. said if I didn’t have this gizmo it had been lights out!” That’s swell. Truth is you don’t always know. I don’t wear one anymore because of several reasons. The main one being they don’t allow your body to do what it does naturally which is tuck and roll, specifically towards a shoulder. I got a massive concussion and compression fractures of T-5, 6, and 7 which I’m reminded of every day. My SE2 helmet chin guard was completely cracked in two. Do I blame the brace? For the fractures, possibly, but no way to know. For the concussion, absolutely. I would never give anyone crap for wearing one or not. Personal choice.

|

11/19/2017 10:55 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand neck brace end up having a fractured vertebrae there.

Does your brace have the single support bar that is aligned with spine, or where there is one on each side?

Edit: glad you're ok. Nice costume. I've wanted to do something similar with a thrift store suit.

Yes it has a single support bar. I think it's actually one of the originals that they came out with. I have thought about getting my back checked, but there wouldn't really be anything they could do. They would probably give me meds for the pain, but it really isn't bad. It is a week later and it's slowly improving.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2017 12:12 PM

To the OP: Seriously get an X-ray! That tab on the Leatt most likely has little or nothing to do with the pain. You might have compressed a vertabrae or 2. Spine like a chain, fold it too far and it breaks. My crash was in 2010 and Kyphoplasty was new then, Dr. didn’t recommend. Big mistake. Those compressions are like stepping on a carboard box. They basically shoot an expoxy and it expands the vertebrae back to normal shape. When you have compressions, muscles, tendons, not aligned, lots of nagging pain forever. It’s called a surgery but not hardcore like getting cut open. Check into it!

|

11/19/2017 12:25 PM

Glad you're ok. Eat mor chiken!!

|

Indecision is a choice

11/19/2017 1:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 1:17 PM

RCMXracing wrote:

To the OP: Seriously get an X-ray! That tab on the Leatt most likely has little or nothing to do with the pain. You might have compressed a vertabrae or 2. Spine like a chain, fold it too far and it breaks. My crash was in 2010 and Kyphoplasty was new then, Dr. didn’t recommend. Big mistake. Those compressions are like stepping on a carboard box. They basically shoot an expoxy and it expands the vertebrae back to normal shape. When you have compressions, muscles, tendons, not aligned, lots of nagging pain forever. It’s called a surgery but not hardcore like getting cut open. Check into it!

Alright. I found a local place that can do the x-ray. I work in an ER so I'm hoping I could get an order for an x-ray from one of the docs rather than having to go to an urgent care or anything like that.

I looked at my helmet again and it's kind of strange, there is no damage to the mouth piece, it is all just the visor. No scratches or anything. It was extra shitty because I also have a fox with MPS, but wore the shoei because my sister in law just painted it.

My other argument for neck braces is that in a big head hit you are going to go completely flaccid immediately if you're out cold, so you will have no muscle tone and will fold like a pretzel. The brace could help save your neck in that situation.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2017 3:07 PM

Glad your okay! I feel strange riding without one. I also have a Leatt

|

11/19/2017 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 3:21 PM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand neck brace end up having a fractured vertebrae there.

Does your brace have the single support bar that is aligned with spine, or where there is one on each side?

Edit: glad you're ok. Nice costume. I've wanted to do something similar with a thrift store suit.

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

Yes it has a single support bar. I think it's actually one of the originals that they came out with. I have thought about getting my back checked, but there wouldn't really be anything they could do. They would probably give me meds for the pain, but it really isn't bad. It is a week later and it's slowly improving.

I've had that leatt, a-stars, and Atlas. Looking back that original leatt isn't really a good design with that single bar. Do yourself a favor and give the Atlas a try, I wouldn't wear anything else.

|

11/19/2017 5:19 PM

Brace or no brace, I think you benefited from a little bovine intervention.

|

11/19/2017 5:25 PM

Long time ago when the Leatt come out I purchased one but it was so uncomfortable that I used once and sold it . Two year ago I got the Atlas and loved it, u can't even feel that u have it on. Year ago I had big get off in milestone. I jumped in to the whoops and my foot slip of my foot peg I got tossed backwards on my head and back, pretty gnar gnar. After the crash I was totally ok , no concussion or neck pain but my helmet and neck brace was cracked and can see heavy marking from the helmet on my neck brace . The neck brace totally supported the helmet in that crash. So yea I am pretty sure that the neck brace saved me from extended injuries. I will never ride without one after that!

|

Born in Prague,living in LA,so if you don't like my spelling,blow me!

18 YZ450F
16 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
17 Yamaha MT-10 FZ-10 165 Hp RWP
06 CRF450X street legal supermoto
06 RM250 smoker
1992 CR250R basket case
2006 CRF50








11/19/2017 5:50 PM

I've started doing a lot of enduro/hare scramble type stuff, way less guys use neck braces in the off road scene it seems. I always wear my Atlas, even after it broke my collar bone when I lawn darted head first, my neck was totally fine.
I prefer the design of the Atlas due to where the force is transferred to, and if you're shorter in the neck it gives more clearance between the brace and the helmet.

|

11/19/2017 5:55 PM

I think I'll give the Atlas a try. I've been running the leatt for a really long time.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2017 6:03 PM

I feel like they transfer more energy to your head

|

11/19/2017 7:19 PM

It was the Brovine duds Bro

|

11/19/2017 7:32 PM

rongi#401 wrote:

I feel like they transfer more energy to your head

Yes. But you run that avatar, so I find it hard to take you seriously. wink

As for the OP's story, I think it's udderly amazing.

|

11/19/2017 11:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2017 11:16 PM

rongi#401 wrote:

I feel like they transfer more energy to your head

GuyB wrote:

Yes. But you run that avatar, so I find it hard to take you seriously. wink

As for the OP's story, I think it's udderly amazing.

more energy has been transferred to my head over the years.

i have a whole explanation to why i think that they actually cause more head trauma than not wearing one. but theres no way to know. unless some type of very unethical clinical study is done on a live person... :-O

also you know my brother, so you know theres a genetic trend at work

|