Since it needs no further introduction, I give you the MPS masterpiece:

scooter5002
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2020 3:48pm
Disclaimer: Vital allowing this thread should not be interpeted as a condemnation of MPS' work, or suggesting that you should not do business with MPS. The opinion and truth expressed here is mine, and mine alone.
A brief synopsis of the events leading to this fiasco.
1. Found MPS on E-Bay and wrote down the phone number for future reference. His shop is only a 4 hour drive from my house, and I was through Toledo all the time. Talked about it with a friend of mine from Michigan later, and he mentioned he had a friend with a blown up RM 450, in really nice shape. We discussed doing a Mark Barnett Tribute 500 and how cool it would be, as well as unique. I pounced on the idea.
2. Called George and he was all over it. Claimed he'd done 2 or 3 already, and it would be no problem. Get it down to him, and it would happen. As luck would have it, getting down there during business hours took a couple of months, but I wasn't really in a hurry, it was still fall of 2009.
3. Finally got there in early 2010, I believe, because it was snowing like a bitch when I showed up. Walked in with the frame and George promptly started to backpeddle, didn't want to do the job, I might not like it, and his name would be on it when I tried to sell it. Great, now I've spent $1500 US on a bike I don't need, and needed to sink major coin in it to sell it. I went home with an entire bike stuffed into the cab and bunk of my rig. Awesome.
4. Despite serious misgivings, I took him my 04 CRF 450 frame and had him mod it instead. George was a couple weeks late on delivery, but I had gone to Jamaica for a week, and he was trying to get a couple bikes off to Australia, so I said it really didn't matter. Whenever he got it done was fine with me, and I think I picked it up in late April. Got it home and it sat on the shop floor for 3 weeks, I was so busy with work I couldn't even look at it.
5. Finally started to assemble the bike, or attempt to, on a Friday night. Frist off, the motor wouldn't fit down into the mounts. With the swingarm pivot in, it was out of square to the frame and the mounts. It would fit down between the lower mounts, but hit the upper fronts, if the swingarm pivot was left out on the left side. Out of square roughly half the thickness of the pivot bolt. Nice. I started attacking it with the hand grinder, and after a lot of cussing and swearing I gave up. It need to go to someone who had fab skills, because it was such a mess. I went home and called George on his cel, probably around 9pm on a Friday night. I ripped him a new one about his shit work, and of course the fact it didn't fit had nothing to do with HIM. First response was "Your motor's wrong". Right. Our chat wasn't long, nor did it end well. I won't repeat the language used here. You can guess.
5. Paid a friend to straighten the mess out as best he could, so at least the motor would fit, and had him finish all the fab work, which George was not supposed to do anyway. He was supposed to mod frame only, and provide a headstay and airboot adapter.
6. Called George to ask about rads, and see if he was smart enough to give me a break on price to compensate for the colossal mess on the frame job. He wasn't, and I never called back, since I never ordered them. The call was about price only.
I've taken photos of the hatchet job that is MPS workmanship. You be the judge.

Notice how much aluminum had to be ground away to make everything fit. Warpage from the heat on the rails is the main cause of this. George use engine cases as a jig, and has his welder tack the mounts in place. Then he takes out the cases and starts putting the filler rod and heat to it. On .125 wall aluminum tubing. According to his website though, all work is done to "above Honda and Kawasaki standards". I shit you not.

The subframe and airbox modded by me, thanks to the crew on bannedCR500.com. A great resource for builds.

The "Airbox adapter" George provided. Apparently, and I quote, "You just put the top pivot bolt in and roll the subframe down over top of this adapter with the stock 450 airboot to the 500 carb. It's all we've ever done." You truly have to actually try what he said to appreciate the sheer stupidity of that concept. Pictures don't do it justice.

Despite being provide with the pipe that I was using and an OEM rubber mount, this is how it turned out. Sweet.

More awesome engineering. Anyone ELSE see the folly in this trying to hold back 55 hp of 2-stroke power and keep it from breaking the frame rails? Some guy from Australia had exactly that happen to him. Ironically, I think it may have been one of the bikes shipped right before mine was done, based on the guys timeline of delivery and breakage. He barely rode the bike and it snapped. Gee, you think?

The spacer he built out of aluminum to fit between the motor and the swingarm. Put the proper torque on it, and I'm sure the OEM spacer would hammer that out pretty quickly. The Honda one costs $10.

So, now the evidence is clear as to why I'm pissed about the job. Flat out garbage. Can't quite figure out how some guys can be so happy with his work, either some jobs he's actually gotten right, or some just have lower standards than me. A LOT lower. As in through the floor and under the basement lower.

The defence now has the floor for rebuttal. If you HAVE one for that kind of work.
|
three9zero
12/30/2012 9:13pm
Wow that sucks man.......I guess AJ from service is the way to go.....I have 3 friends/customers with his bikes and they stand the test of time, and abuse.
dirthead1
12/30/2012 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 9:27pm
Christ! That is some of the shittiest fab work I've ever seen. I've done better work with files and drill bits, drunk at 3:00 am, in the middle of Baja than that.

The Shop

BAMX
12/30/2012 9:30pm
It definitely makes a Service honda look like a masterpiece.
TerryK
12/30/2012 9:34pm
A cut Fernco coupling for an airboot? WTF?
TerryK
12/30/2012 9:34pm
BAMX wrote:
It definitely makes a Service honda look like a masterpiece.
That's because SH bikes ARE a masterpiece.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
12/30/2012 10:14pm
That is terrible. And SH bikes are works of art.
edgo897
12/31/2012 4:11am
The headstay needs to go to the back of the frame not the sides, like a CR250 is set up. Those welds aren't the prettiest but they look like they'd hold. If they don't line up then I guess it doesn't matter.
scooter5002
12/31/2012 6:02am
TerryK wrote:
A cut Fernco coupling for an airboot? WTF?
Lol. Exactly Terry. I just happened to look over at my water heater one day as I was leaving the basement. I must have looked like Wile E Coyote as he watches the Roadrunner drop the hammer and disappear. Just shook my head.
I see WhoreGay, Monsieur Klein and MPSDaddy haven't bothered with a rebuttal. Huh. Perhaps they're gathering as we speak, considering all options and angles. Number 1 being, "Holy SHIT, we're going to get CRUCIFIED if we show up. Nice goin' George, you dumbass".
For comparison sakes, go to banned CR500riders.com, visit the AF section. Hit the Stoffers Racing sticky, he has pics of his work. Doesn't weld them himself, and openly says so, but check out THAT workmanship. CNC made mounts, etc:. THAT"S how the job is done properly! Slip, he's the guy I recommended to you. With good reason.
Even if MPS plasma cut out some plate for mounts that actually FIT, would be an improvement over the joke that I got. A 99 CR250 airboot and a plasma cut aluminum plate to take home with you to put on your own airbox. A little homework and R and D goes a long way in customer satisfaction, and your rep is intact. Adds a little in cost to the project, but each bike you send out carries the cost of stuff like that. Spread out over time and you recover it. That's the proper way of doing things.
downard254
12/31/2012 6:36am
Yuk! That's some nasty work. I think I could do a better job and I can't do that kind of job. As far as the Fernco for an airboot, ther is some reasoning for it's use. Fernco's are used primarily for connecting shit pipe together, as that's the Fernco's intended purpose, it matches the work he has done.
scooter5002
12/31/2012 6:53am
downard254 wrote:
Yuk! That's some nasty work. I think I could do a better job and I can't do that kind of job. As far as the Fernco...
Yuk! That's some nasty work. I think I could do a better job and I can't do that kind of job. As far as the Fernco for an airboot, ther is some reasoning for it's use. Fernco's are used primarily for connecting shit pipe together, as that's the Fernco's intended purpose, it matches the work he has done.
Lol. You make a valid point, sir.
motodriller
12/31/2012 7:26am
How much did it cost? Did you give him a deposit? Does he think you owe him more Money?
scooter5002
12/31/2012 8:10am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2012 8:18am
I paid him $1000 when I picked the frame up in April 10. I don't think he figures I owe him more money, but he certainly has an issue with being called out on his shit workmanship. Lol. He finally showed up here just a little while back and started his chest thumping. I've been trashing his work here for a couple years now, and when he saw it, he wents nuts. TerryK deleted some of his B.S. but if I gathered correctly reading between the lines he was threatening to sue Vital and me. For having the AUDACITY to post the TRUTH. I pretty much taunted him because I could, and have nothing to fear. The job results spoke for themselves, and libel and slander only occur when there are lies involved. You can read some of it here.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Interesting-2-stroke-on-d…

Not sure where you at in Washington State, but the guy who runs TOES MX Park had an RM AF conversion done by him. I believe he's up in Royal City Wa, by Pasco, I believe. Maybe contact HIM and get his thoughts on Georges work. As I was bringing in my 04 CRF frame George was working on it. Said the guy gave him THREE GRAND pre-paid to do it. Told me if I had have give him that much I could have had mine done too, because it was a "pilot project". Huh. Yet he said he done 500 conversions before to RMs. Wouldn't you be PISSED if you paid 3G for what I got?! Lol
I lied. Just checked the website, up by Othello off I-90. I used to deliver there years ago, so my memory is rusty. Website hasn't been updated in a while, maybe that bike broke in half and bout killed the guy. God forbid.
Hut
12/31/2012 8:17am
A picture speaks a thousand words, Thank You for the warning Cool
ATKpilot99
12/31/2012 8:24am
Thanks for posting this. Not only to save people the trouble and money but these bikes look like they can be genuinely dangerous to ride.
12/31/2012 8:25am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2012 8:26am
Thank the internet gods for this thread.

At the Two Stroke shootout, while standing around looking at George's personal bike (and holding back my laughter as it looks exactly like this), a man approached him and said (and I quote)

"I built a CR500 conversion myself."

To which George's reply was

"Did it break yet?"

and the whole time he is standing there with this ABOMINATION of a hack job.

I walked away thinking to myself not how horrible the frame looked, but how fucking DANGEROUS it is to ride one of those bikes. Seriously.

I don't know who this guy thinks he is kidding, other than himself.
scooter5002
12/31/2012 8:29am
Pretty much why I'm doing it. I could care less if he goes broke, and I hope he loses a LOT of business over this, but can you imagine landing a huge triple with that headstay and winding up in a wheelchair the rest of your life. George could care less, he's got your money. It obviously doesn't bother him, but it bugs me.
scooter5002
12/31/2012 8:31am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2012 8:32am
125 wrote:
Thank the internet gods for this thread. At the Two Stroke shootout, while standing around looking at George's personal bike (and holding back my laughter as...
Thank the internet gods for this thread.

At the Two Stroke shootout, while standing around looking at George's personal bike (and holding back my laughter as it looks exactly like this), a man approached him and said (and I quote)

"I built a CR500 conversion myself."

To which George's reply was

"Did it break yet?"

and the whole time he is standing there with this ABOMINATION of a hack job.

I walked away thinking to myself not how horrible the frame looked, but how fucking DANGEROUS it is to ride one of those bikes. Seriously.

I don't know who this guy thinks he is kidding, other than himself.
You are the second guy to post that conversation. So that really did happen. In Florida this year?
12/31/2012 8:44am
You are the second guy to post that conversation. So that really did happen. In Florida this year?
No, sleepy hollow in September. I was astonished when I looked at his personal bike.

This hunk of shit. Even with this low quality photo, you can still see the bird shit welds on the lower motor mount.

12/31/2012 8:46am
Here is the same bike, making a whopping 48hp on the dyno. turns out, they dont like radiator hose for an airboot..

scooter5002
12/31/2012 8:55am
Look at the number mounting job on the front number plate. Lmfao. What a friggin HACK! Couldn't even get the guy who does his logos to crank out some backgrounds and numbers for his showpiece. DeCal Works. Custom stuff on the cheap. Lots of places do that kind of vinyl work.
As the personal bike of the business owner, that bike should be a statement of ALL that he's capable of producing. And apparently, IT IS!
12/31/2012 9:05am
Look at the number mounting job on the front number plate. Lmfao. What a friggin HACK! Couldn't even get the guy who does his logos to...
Look at the number mounting job on the front number plate. Lmfao. What a friggin HACK! Couldn't even get the guy who does his logos to crank out some backgrounds and numbers for his showpiece. DeCal Works. Custom stuff on the cheap. Lots of places do that kind of vinyl work.
As the personal bike of the business owner, that bike should be a statement of ALL that he's capable of producing. And apparently, IT IS!
I said the same thing.

It's pretty hilarious, when you see what a guy like Groutaone can do in his garage with a little old fashioned intellect.
DrSweden
12/31/2012 11:46am
Holy crap. I guess the frame have some aluminium value at the scrap yard at least?
scooter5002
12/31/2012 12:55pm
At current market value, about 22 bucks I think. Lol
Kryan5
12/31/2012 1:01pm
My question is who is certifying his welder? Yikes!
PressPassP
12/31/2012 1:09pm
Shit the bed,how could you ever trust riding something like that??
scooter5002
12/31/2012 1:21pm
My guy who straightened that mess out said that structurally, the welds and frame are fine. At 47 years in the trade, I'll take his word. However, it's just such a hatchet job overall, is the real issue. I'm 270 plus in gear, and it's holding up okay, no cracks so far. The second I see one it's done. Actually been thinking of going back to my steel frame, this bike is physically too small at 6'6". It moves around a lot more under me than than it did as a 4-stroke, and it's hard to hang on to, being so narrow and small. Difference in the power characteristics, I suppose.

Post a reply to: Since it needs no further introduction, I give you the MPS masterpiece:

The Latest