Since This Is The 43rd High Point National....

motomike137
6/14/2019 7:12am
That year they were doing "Ryan Villopoto's Happy Hour" to add to the festivities during the weekend and wanted him to do a parade lap on...
That year they were doing "Ryan Villopoto's Happy Hour" to add to the festivities during the weekend and wanted him to do a parade lap on a bike, so why not a 2 stroke. Instead of them shipping his works KX250 from Washington they reached out to me. I am in the industry and live 3 hours away so I got a call from Jeff Cernic and Rob Buydos asking if I could slap a number 2 onto my freshly built 2005 KX250. I immediately said no problem! I'll get it all detailed to be on display... but they quickly said no, RV is going to RIDE it!

I quickly went into the garage and started going through the motor and chassis to get it ready for RV to ride.. After i built it, I had some slight ticking from the motor that I couldn't figure out, which made me nervous. After going through the top end, the clutch and making some calls and test rides it was determined that it just was detonating (very common on those bikes). All it needed was some fresh C12 and a new plug!

I showed up on Friday morning with my bike in the back of my truck and dropped it off at the Factory Kawasaki semi where I met with RV and his mechanic Tanner. He originally was just going to use my plastics and graphics with a number 2 on the bike, but due to sponsor obligations we decided it was best to have Tanner bring RV's plastics and graphics to install on my bike.

Unfortunately weather didn't allow him to ride on Friday but they were able to have him do a few laps during down time with a few other legends on 2 strokes on Saturday. I told Tanner and RV to feel free to adjust anything they need to on the bike; sag, bars, clickers, jetting, etc. But all he wanted to do was adjust the levers slightly. I was a nervous wreck when he hit the track, but couldn't believe RV was riding MY BIKE on the High Point track in front of all these people! He had no problem hitting most of the jumps on lap 1.

After the few laps he came back to Tanner and I thank me for letting him ride my bike. I asked how the bike felt and he said it was good, just the shock was a little soft for him (RV is notoriously known to like stiff suspension). I was so relieved that the bike ran well and that he and the crowd liked it.

The bike stayed by the Kawi semi on display for the rest of the weekend. At the end of the day RV presented me with all his plastics with the front number plate signed, a signed jersey, a signed poster, and more importantly a sincere thank you and hand shake from the 7 time champion. He said that we should do it again next year.

Unfortunately that next year RV signed with Yamaha so there was no chance of having him ride my KX again. I still see Ryan at different races throughout the country and he always seems to make sure to say hi to me. It was a great experience and something I will never forget.

Some more pics and info on the bike build and day: https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2005-KX250-2-Stroke-Build,1301898

Video of him riding it: https://racerxonline.com/2017/06/19/garmin-virb-ryan-villopoto-riding-a-two-stroke-at-high-point
This is the coolest story I've read on here in quite some time! This thread is making me want to leave after work today and do the six hour trek to High Point!
Knobbyjake
6/14/2019 8:33pm

This is when High Point was great to go to. Smaller crowds, access right up to the track, no VIP or hospitality tents blocking the views and Damon Bradshaw on amateur day. Progress is not always a good thing.
GIwasB4
6/16/2019 9:49am
Knobbyjake wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/14/354502/s1200_FB_IMG_1560569177556.jpg[/img] This is when High Point was great to go to. Smaller crowds, access right up to the track, no VIP or hospitality tents blocking the...

This is when High Point was great to go to. Smaller crowds, access right up to the track, no VIP or hospitality tents blocking the views and Damon Bradshaw on amateur day. Progress is not always a good thing.
What year is this?

The Shop

GIwasB4
6/16/2019 9:50am
Knobbyjake wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/14/354502/s1200_FB_IMG_1560569177556.jpg[/img] This is when High Point was great to go to. Smaller crowds, access right up to the track, no VIP or hospitality tents blocking the...

What year is this? Fantastic photo

Post a reply to: Since This Is The 43rd High Point National....

The Latest