Silly Season... 2022 !

mirramaxx
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2021 9:54pm
Little bit of news trickling out already.
https://racerxonline.com/2021/04/02/musquin-plessinger-silly-season-news

Sounds like AP7 could go to KTM but has option for another year on blue, could this be another Webb or Barcia type switch? The Platform from Yamaha to the Orange brand worked out pretty well in 2019.

Also Marvin might be locking in another year on KTM, it would be a 3 bike 450 team!
I hope Marvin can make another run for a title either SX or nationals, guy is super fast but has had a rough go.

Cheers Vital Villagers !
|
Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
4/5/2021 7:51am
Someone made a topic earlier this week, “What if Plessinger”, and what if he went to KTM. A lot of us, even me, thought this guy was losing his marbles due to the off week. I take back my comment lol
IWreckALot
4/5/2021 8:06am
mirramaxx wrote:
Little bit of news trickling out already. [url=https://racerxonline.com/2021/04/02/musquin-plessinger-silly-season-news]https://racerxonline.com/2021/04/02/musquin-plessinger-silly-season-news[/url] Sounds like AP7 could go to KTM but has option for another year on blue, could this be...
Little bit of news trickling out already.
https://racerxonline.com/2021/04/02/musquin-plessinger-silly-season-news

Sounds like AP7 could go to KTM but has option for another year on blue, could this be another Webb or Barcia type switch? The Platform from Yamaha to the Orange brand worked out pretty well in 2019.

Also Marvin might be locking in another year on KTM, it would be a 3 bike 450 team!
I hope Marvin can make another run for a title either SX or nationals, guy is super fast but has had a rough go.

Cheers Vital Villagers !
I'd like to see Marv win but he's just not on pace right now. Will be interesting to see what he can do if he can stay healthy.

And I'm all for AP hitting the KTM route. It may not be the bike, but it also may be the bike. (DEEP. . . I know). I don't think he'll go backwards on any other bike and I'm all about changing things up when their current setup isn't working for them.
4/5/2021 9:29am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 9:30am
Marvin will be 32 yrs old at A1 in 2022. He seems like a really great guy but that's old for a supercross racer. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he retired and started a family with his wonderful wife.
mirramaxx
4/5/2021 6:24pm
Marvin will be 32 yrs old at A1 in 2022. He seems like a really great guy but that's old for a supercross racer. I wouldn't...
Marvin will be 32 yrs old at A1 in 2022. He seems like a really great guy but that's old for a supercross racer. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he retired and started a family with his wonderful wife.
I know Justin Brayton is 36 or 37 now ? Marv was on the gas and even TQ'ed before a few mishaps put him down and out the past few rounds.

I figured Roczen and Webb will stay put, curious to see what Jeremy Martin will end up doing.

The Shop

Johnny Ringo
4/5/2021 6:27pm
Another guy KTM just buys instead of developing talent on their own
Zycki11
4/5/2021 6:27pm
Marvin will be 32 yrs old at A1 in 2022. He seems like a really great guy but that's old for a supercross racer. I wouldn't...
mirramaxx wrote:
I know Justin Brayton is 36 or 37 now ? Marv was on the gas and even TQ'ed before a few mishaps put him down and...
I know Justin Brayton is 36 or 37 now ? Marv was on the gas and even TQ'ed before a few mishaps put him down and out the past few rounds.

I figured Roczen and Webb will stay put, curious to see what Jeremy Martin will end up doing.
Martin is staying on Star 250 for another year. From what I understand, his shoulder will require surgery. But he is strengthening it now and giving outdoors a go. If he starts slow will most likely pull out and go under the knife.
Jdawggg
4/5/2021 6:39pm
Can pretty much say that about any current team.. Kawasaki didn't develop Tomac Honda didn't develop Roczen only one would be Cianciarulo then all the way back to Villopoto
xrmark
4/5/2021 7:19pm
Yea cause Suzuki developed RC...
Johnny Ringo
4/5/2021 7:46pm
xrmark wrote:
No but they developed Dunge
shortshift5
4/5/2021 7:55pm
xrmark wrote:
So Plessinger is supposed to tank his career just because Yamaha hired him to ride a 250? Nobody has been able to ride that fat blue pig consistently. Have you followed how that web guy did switching brands?
4/5/2021 8:23pm
Devastating, I hope KTM can recover.
BS12
4/5/2021 10:43pm
Tough spot for AP... or is it? Dude has come on in leaps and bounds this year, clearly jelling with the bike right now.
ZOBITO
4/5/2021 11:03pm
BS12 wrote:
Tough spot for AP... or is it? Dude has come on in leaps and bounds this year, clearly jelling with the bike right now.
Tough spot for Musquin, IMO.
Motofinne
4/5/2021 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 11:20pm
BS12 wrote:
Yeah it would be rough to jump ship to KTM after Yamaha kept him around after his initial struggles. I could see him being loyal to them, even though getting on a Factory KTM and potentially also the Baker program is a step up from the Yamaha 450.

And KTM will with 95% certainty have a new generation bike for the next season that is probably better than the current bike.
davistld01
4/6/2021 4:17am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2021 4:18am
Marv has been with KTM forever, and although he might never see his dream of a SX Championship come to pass, he’s still faster than most and is a good team rider. He’s probably not trying to break the bank with a contract salary request either (giving them room to hire Pless)...so I think keeping him would be a no brainer for KTM. Plessinger is riding tons better than I ever thought he could, on a bike nobody thought could do the job either. He’d be a great teammate to Cooper as well. I think KTM running a three-man team is great for the sport as well.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/6/2021 5:47am
What does that matter? Amateurism in this sport is fucked,who cares what brand ‘develops’ a rider. Wtf does that even mean? And damn near everyone of em rode a ktm 50 that developed there riding skills so you might be wrong anyway.
APLMAN99
4/6/2021 5:48am
xrmark wrote:
And that difference probably sold them 3-4 more RMZs a year, but still deeply discounted.......

And they still lost him just as he was hitting his prime.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/6/2021 5:48am
Plessinger seems like a loyal guy but that KTM ride is the cream of the crop right now so that’s a tough choice. I hope he switches personally just to mix things up.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
4/6/2021 5:49am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2021 5:50am
davistld01 wrote:
Marv has been with KTM forever, and although he might never see his dream of a SX Championship come to pass, he’s still faster than most...
Marv has been with KTM forever, and although he might never see his dream of a SX Championship come to pass, he’s still faster than most and is a good team rider. He’s probably not trying to break the bank with a contract salary request either (giving them room to hire Pless)...so I think keeping him would be a no brainer for KTM. Plessinger is riding tons better than I ever thought he could, on a bike nobody thought could do the job either. He’d be a great teammate to Cooper as well. I think KTM running a three-man team is great for the sport as well.
"Marv has been with KTM forever ..."

French NGS team begs to differ.
Johnny Ringo
4/6/2021 5:52am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2021 5:58am
soggy wrote:
What does that matter? Amateurism in this sport is fucked,who cares what brand ‘develops’ a rider. Wtf does that even mean? And damn near everyone of...
What does that matter? Amateurism in this sport is fucked,who cares what brand ‘develops’ a rider. Wtf does that even mean? And damn near everyone of em rode a ktm 50 that developed there riding skills so you might be wrong anyway.
I’m just making an observation is all. It’s the same thing the Yankees and Dodgers do. Let other teams that are better at it develop the talent and then buy the talent when they’re 450 ready.

I honestly don’t even know why KTM fields 250 teams

P.s. everyone hated Honda 20 years ago for just “buying” guys like RC. Apparently it’s ok now because it’s KTM?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/6/2021 6:07am
I’m just making an observation is all. It’s the same thing the Yankees and Dodgers do. Let other teams that are better at it develop the...
I’m just making an observation is all. It’s the same thing the Yankees and Dodgers do. Let other teams that are better at it develop the talent and then buy the talent when they’re 450 ready.

I honestly don’t even know why KTM fields 250 teams

P.s. everyone hated Honda 20 years ago for just “buying” guys like RC. Apparently it’s ok now because it’s KTM?
As stated previously Honda bought Kenny, Kawi, bought Tomac, etc. even if plessinger stays with Yamaha they will have bought him to stay. Not sure why you frame it negatively
DudeImSoRad
Fantasy
2284th
4/6/2021 7:12am
davistld01 wrote:
Marv has been with KTM forever, and although he might never see his dream of a SX Championship come to pass, he’s still faster than most...

10 years is an eternity in MX racing.
davistld01
4/6/2021 7:26am

Sorry, I didn't say that as a fact...just a casual statement. I'd venture to say that he has been with KTM longer than the vast majority of riders have stayed loyal to a singular OEM. How's that? This late in his career, it probably wouldn't benefit him to seek a contract with another brand...and KTM knows they have a strong support rider in him. It's a win-win.
Question
4/6/2021 7:40am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2021 7:40am
davistld01 wrote:

10 years is an eternity in MX racing.
Plus he was with NGS only 1 year and half. Before that he has been developed by Bud Racing too, where he even gave a try in SX in the US. It was sad for NGS as Losito was doing a great job, but actually a lot of that decision came because Honda was not really supporting them at the time, like they did later with Gajser. I have read that Musquin was making about 1k per month which was just paying his flat and small bills, not that bad if you are 20th but after a rookie season where he finished top 10, he was then leading the championship. The wins and championship bonuses were probably not even in the picture, nor any real career plan. I was also a bit surprised and really mixed when it happened, but this is probably the best decision a rider has made in the last 20 years.

Back to the silly season, I am glad KTM is looking to continue with Musquin, he has had quite a lot of sh.. luck this year, but he is the longest trained athlete by Baker, which shows the profesionalism and commitment, and he still has plenty of speed to make podiums. I was even seeing him as a dark horse for the sx championship this year as he did pretty well last summer and stayed most of the championship in the title hunt.
4/6/2021 7:45am
BS12 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah it would be rough to jump ship to KTM after Yamaha kept him around after his initial struggles. I could see him being loyal to...
Yeah it would be rough to jump ship to KTM after Yamaha kept him around after his initial struggles. I could see him being loyal to them, even though getting on a Factory KTM and potentially also the Baker program is a step up from the Yamaha 450.

And KTM will with 95% certainty have a new generation bike for the next season that is probably better than the current bike.
Yamaha better offer him a new deal then. KTM has job security for AP. I'm sure they are offering something for 2022 and 2023. This would be easy for me, but I also understand loyalty and the sheer fact that it feels like family over there at Yamaha right now.
gt80rider
4/6/2021 10:59am
Jordan421 wrote:
Someone made a topic earlier this week, “What if Plessinger”, and what if he went to KTM. A lot of us, even me, thought this guy...
Someone made a topic earlier this week, “What if Plessinger”, and what if he went to KTM. A lot of us, even me, thought this guy was losing his marbles due to the off week. I take back my comment lol
Pless had a huge upside.... he hasn't really shown it on the blue 450.... but imo he is the only guy on the gate with a shot at next level speed....
Up Wind
4/6/2021 11:59am
xrmark wrote:
So Plessinger is supposed to tank his career just because Yamaha hired him to ride a 250? Nobody has been able to ride that fat blue...
So Plessinger is supposed to tank his career just because Yamaha hired him to ride a 250? Nobody has been able to ride that fat blue pig consistently. Have you followed how that web guy did switching brands?
IMHO being new.....Here are a few thoughts. Cooper may have just been in a different place in his life when he was on the Yamaha. I'm pretty sure he can win on any color right now. Those Suzukis, KTMs and Hondas looked really good with the 94 sitting on them. AP is healthy for the first time since he has been on a 450. The current 1st year 450. STAR program is going to get better every year. AP has a great agent/lawyer/all around awesome person in his corner by the name of David (Lance) Langston. He also has the phone # of one of the best off-road Champs of all time. I'm sure whatever he decides to do will be good for him Smile
Brent
4/6/2021 12:04pm
Um , Max Vohland?

Johnny Ringo
4/6/2021 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2021 12:09pm
Brent wrote:
Um , Max Vohland?

You mean the kid with the dislocated hip that was thrown in with the sharks of 250 Supercross after racing a 125 in the B class last summer? Solid development plan, I see that going well.

The Austrian 250 program is a meat grinder, has been for a while

Post a reply to: Silly Season... 2022 !

The Latest