Silly Season...

kiwifan
6/17/2020 1:06pm
hamncheeze wrote:
450 teams KTM has had 3 riders before: 2016 Dungey, Musquin, Deano, 2017 Dungey, Musquin, Canard. So Webb, Musquin, Ferrandis is not out of the question...
450 teams

KTM has had 3 riders before: 2016 Dungey, Musquin, Deano, 2017 Dungey, Musquin, Canard. So Webb, Musquin, Ferrandis is not out of the question.

Assuming RS Husky stays the same though I'm not sure on Dean's deal.

Plessinger is signed through 2021 with Yamaha. This has been confirmed on one of Matthes' podcasts. If Star fields a 450 rider/team then does factory Yamaha pull out or do we have 3-4 riders on "factory" Yamaha? This would give room for AP, Barcia, McElrath which I can see as probable.

Brayton would likely continue on a Honda with Penrite if that pans out.

AC9 has signed a deal with factory Kawi.

Does RMATV-MC stay on KTM or become the GasGas team? Either way I expect Baggett and Bloss. I think we've seen the unfortunate end of Justin Bogle's career.

MCR/SmartTop/Bullfrog will keep Malcolm for sure. Friese is probable too as Genova likes him and his contract is low. Not sure if Hill has done enough to stay on, the SLC rides have been uninspired. I could see Savatgy here possibly although he probably needs an outdoor team. Craig would also be an option.

JGR and HEP - rumours have HEP being the sole Suzuki team in 2021. Does JGR fold? This whole Suzuki situation leaves Savatgy, Tickle, Noren, and Anstie as well as Breece, Cunningham and 722 in flux. 722 seems to have familial ties, so that leaves 2 spots. Assume Anstie gets a mulligan (Keefer just tweeted he had a big crash at Pala today) so that's a lot of dudes left that rode yellow in 2020 looking for a ride.
kiwifan wrote:
I forgot KTM has fielded 3 riders before, I guess in the new economic environment it makes having 3 riders a bit tricky when balancing the...
I forgot KTM has fielded 3 riders before, I guess in the new economic environment it makes having 3 riders a bit tricky when balancing the books
Husky got 3 riders.
all under the same management.
that is this year, arent we all talking about next season? ...if those 3 are already signed up etc then it probably wont change, I was more referring to a current team having 2 riders then moving to 3 next season
RalphS
6/17/2020 3:03pm
Antonioni wrote:
IMO, in 2021 if Ferrandis ride for KTM compagny, the more likely is that it will not within the KTM official team. 3 riders, why not...
IMO, in 2021 if Ferrandis ride for KTM compagny, the more likely is that it will not within the KTM official team.

3 riders, why not. But 3 including 2 french (and DF and Musquin are not Roczen...) in USA (all the more for an european compagny) : not the wisest option. Not impossible but unlikely.
Also DF will be in 450 for the win. Thus, 3 pilots who are here at each race only for the win within the same team... Very uncommon setup nowadays. Not impossible but unlikely.
And a few other small things, of lesser matter.

Therefore, if Ferrandis is paid by KTM in 2021, he will ride a RockyMount bike. or a RockstarHusq. (or a new team?). But within the official KTM-RedBull-Motorex team, along Webb and Musquin ? It's just unlikely.
Just my thoughts.
DF, MM & CW under the same tent damn, every moto journalist dream. Well the man will school the kids shall they misbehave.
davistld01
6/17/2020 3:31pm
davistld01 wrote:
That's the most plausible thing I've heard about Justin yet. I think he'd do well in a totally new and different environment there. His wife is...
That's the most plausible thing I've heard about Justin yet. I think he'd do well in a totally new and different environment there. His wife is from the UK so he'd have a built-in base already. I think he's pretty much used up his options here too, so maybe the GP thing will be a good thing for him if he indeed can get a good ride.
yurcho44 wrote:
I think it’s crazy that Barcia is out of options. 4 guys have won a main event this year and Barcia is one of them. I...
I think it’s crazy that Barcia is out of options. 4 guys have won a main event this year and Barcia is one of them. I wish MCR would sign him
But he's been mediocre (for his status and probable pay scale) the rest of the races so far in the season. He is not popular with the rest of the riders because of his riding style...and has a demeanor that leans towards arrogance. That combination doesn't inspire most factory teams to want to sign him, or so it seems.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/17/2020 3:55pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
DV12 mentioned that Ferrandis wants to go to KTM a while back. We'll see. I'm just pumped he's moving up. Instant podium threat, IMO. Edit: Those...
DV12 mentioned that Ferrandis wants to go to KTM a while back.

We'll see.

I'm just pumped he's moving up. Instant podium threat, IMO.

Edit:

Those who are saying it can't happen, I'll just say that Husky currently has 3 bikes under their tent. Not sure if Dean will get re-signed or not. If he doesn't, that frees up 1 bike that could move under the KTM tent.

They're already paying the expenses to have that 3rd bike on track so that wouldn't change. Dylan could sacrifice 1 year of salary for a long term gain. Sign a 1 year deal for a smaller salary with bigger bonuses. Don't forget, he's moving up to the 450 class so he'll get his own gear, helmet, goggle, and boot deal.

Come 2022, Marvin retires and Dylan signs a 2-3 year extension deal.

Stranger things have happened.
Do 250 riders not get gear deals?

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/17/2020 4:00pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Gear deals are built in the 250 teams. They don't get individual gear deals.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
6/17/2020 4:41pm
davistld01 wrote:
That's the most plausible thing I've heard about Justin yet. I think he'd do well in a totally new and different environment there. His wife is...
That's the most plausible thing I've heard about Justin yet. I think he'd do well in a totally new and different environment there. His wife is from the UK so he'd have a built-in base already. I think he's pretty much used up his options here too, so maybe the GP thing will be a good thing for him if he indeed can get a good ride.
yurcho44 wrote:
I think it’s crazy that Barcia is out of options. 4 guys have won a main event this year and Barcia is one of them. I...
I think it’s crazy that Barcia is out of options. 4 guys have won a main event this year and Barcia is one of them. I wish MCR would sign him
davistld01 wrote:
But he's been mediocre (for his status and probable pay scale) the rest of the races so far in the season. He is not popular with...
But he's been mediocre (for his status and probable pay scale) the rest of the races so far in the season. He is not popular with the rest of the riders because of his riding style...and has a demeanor that leans towards arrogance. That combination doesn't inspire most factory teams to want to sign him, or so it seems.
I can't disagree but he sure has the potential to spice things up and I'm glad he's out there.
robotsfrom
6/17/2020 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2020 7:46pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
He's already said he and his wife are moving to the UK after his racing in the US is done. I wouldn't be surprised at all...
He's already said he and his wife are moving to the UK after his racing in the US is done. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he moves over to MXGP.
tek14 wrote:
If you have option to move country you like.. UK would not been on my list for sure.. he is gonna miss warm sunny days of...
If you have option to move country you like.. UK would not been on my list for sure.. he is gonna miss warm sunny days of Florida.
His wife's from there and her family is there so it makes sense. And he's from upstate New York not exactly the sunniest place ever.
robotsfrom
6/17/2020 7:58pm
Antonioni wrote:
IMO, in 2021 if Ferrandis ride for KTM compagny, the more likely is that it will not within the KTM official team. 3 riders, why not...
IMO, in 2021 if Ferrandis ride for KTM compagny, the more likely is that it will not within the KTM official team.

3 riders, why not. But 3 including 2 french (and DF and Musquin are not Roczen...) in USA (all the more for an european compagny) : not the wisest option. Not impossible but unlikely.
Also DF will be in 450 for the win. Thus, 3 pilots who are here at each race only for the win within the same team... Very uncommon setup nowadays. Not impossible but unlikely.

Therefore, if Ferrandis is paid by KTM in 2021, he will ride a RockyMount bike. or a RockstarHusq. (or a new team?). But within the official KTM-RedBull-Motorex team, along Webb and Musquin ? It's just unlikely.
Just my thoughts.
3 riders all competing for a win is something DeCoster can handle. He did it in the 80's with the Honda team.

The major things teams will have to deal with when considering hiring Ferrandis is his lites supercross tite with potential for a second one coming soon, and this will definitely increase what he will be asking for money wise. A lot of teams when signing a third rider are usually signing someone who is a consistent top 5 to top 10 guy with hopes for a podium or two a year. Which keeps the contract a bit lower.

Now if any team on the gate is going to find the money to sign 3 potential title threats, it's KTM, based on what they did in MXGP this year signing Cairolli, Prado, and Herlings.

They want to win and are willing to spend the money to do it.
Racerman967
6/17/2020 9:01pm
In the 80’s he had 5 riders competing at times. 3 would be easy for him
Antonioni
6/19/2020 2:15am
Antonioni wrote:

Just my thoughts.
robotsfrom wrote:
3 riders all competing for a win is something DeCoster can handle. He did it in the 80's with the Honda team. The major things teams...
3 riders all competing for a win is something DeCoster can handle. He did it in the 80's with the Honda team.

The major things teams will have to deal with when considering hiring Ferrandis is his lites supercross tite with potential for a second one coming soon, and this will definitely increase what he will be asking for money wise. A lot of teams when signing a third rider are usually signing someone who is a consistent top 5 to top 10 guy with hopes for a podium or two a year. Which keeps the contract a bit lower.

Now if any team on the gate is going to find the money to sign 3 potential title threats, it's KTM, based on what they did in MXGP this year signing Cairolli, Prado, and Herlings.

They want to win and are willing to spend the money to do it.
Unfortunate that my view is a bit too subtle...
6/23/2020 2:43am
How long is Tomac’s deal with Kawi? I tried to google it but didn’t find any specifics. Now that he finally has that SX title under his belt, I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts thinking about hanging up the boots. There’s not anything to win anymore for him, he has a newborn kid and is set for life financially. He is at the age where Villopoto and Dungey called it a day. It would probably be a surprise if he retired after this season, but maybe after 2021. Just a thought.
toddh
6/23/2020 5:57am
How long is Tomac’s deal with Kawi? I tried to google it but didn’t find any specifics. Now that he finally has that SX title under...
How long is Tomac’s deal with Kawi? I tried to google it but didn’t find any specifics. Now that he finally has that SX title under his belt, I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts thinking about hanging up the boots. There’s not anything to win anymore for him, he has a newborn kid and is set for life financially. He is at the age where Villopoto and Dungey called it a day. It would probably be a surprise if he retired after this season, but maybe after 2021. Just a thought.
one more year on his contract.
Racerman967
6/23/2020 7:59am
JT and Weege are both of the opinion that after next season he is done.
kpiper
6/23/2020 8:08am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2020 8:12am
If he wins the SX title again next year he might be motivated to keep going if he is having fun. He says he still loves riding/racing right now.

Injury can quickly change all that though. I think Dungey talked about racing a long time and then that all changed after he hurt his neck.
Adam43
6/23/2020 8:09am
I wonder if he is truly as burnt out as some think?

His dad, the guiding force in his career, had incredible longevity in his sport. Not sure if it's Eli's motivation to get back to the ranch asap, he has his whole life to do that.

I also don't see anyone on the horizon that is an imminent threat to Tomac's dominance.
kpiper
6/23/2020 8:10am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2020 8:11am
They said on the broadcast Sunday that Ferrandis confirmed he is in talks with Yamha for 2021.

hamncheeze
6/23/2020 8:43am
kpiper wrote:
They said on the broadcast Sunday that Ferrandis confirmed he is in talks with Yamha for 2021.

That means nothing. They also talked about Jett’s pet alligator.
soulberg3
7/21/2020 12:15pm
So what's this I've heard Christan Craig moving to Yamaha next year? I've heard it twice now & I can't find anywhere that says he's moving up. The only thing I've heard was that he was doing 450 outdoors & trying to stay in the 450 class (motoXaddicts). Anyone hear anything?
motomoto652
7/21/2020 12:23pm
Could be for the rumored Star 450 team next year. I think pulp said he was going there next year
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/21/2020 12:28pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
DV12 mentioned that Ferrandis wants to go to KTM a while back. We'll see. I'm just pumped he's moving up. Instant podium threat, IMO. Edit: Those...

We'll see.

Edit:

Those who are saying it can't happen, I'll just say that Husky currently has 3 bikes under their tent. Not sure if Dean will get re-signed or not. If he doesn't, that frees up 1 bike that could move under the KTM tent.

They're already paying the expenses to have that 3rd bike on track so that wouldn't change. Dylan could sacrifice 1 year of salary for a long term gain. Sign a 1 year deal for a smaller salary with bigger bonuses. Don't forget, he's moving up to the 450 class so he'll get his own gear, helmet, goggle, and boot deal.

Dean has already signed his Husky contract for next year.

Dylan F will be signing a factory Yamaha contract.

Barcia's ride is in jeopardy.
soulberg3
7/21/2020 12:49pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

We'll see.

Edit:

Boomslang wrote:

Blows my mind that barcia finishes too 5 in SX and Plessinger is the one who got a contract extension.
MX304
Fantasy
3753rd
7/21/2020 12:55pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

We'll see.

Edit:

RichieW13 wrote:
Yeah, a lot of 250 guys have gear deals.
soulberg3
7/21/2020 12:56pm
Plessinger had a 3 year deal.
Both Barcia and Plessinger’s contracts were up this year to my knowledge. I’ve heard that Plessinger signed a one year extension through next year.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/21/2020 12:59pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

We'll see.

Edit:

Boomslang wrote:

soulberg3 wrote:
Blows my mind that barcia finishes too 5 in SX and Plessinger is the one who got a contract extension.
It will be harder for Barcia to nail another top 5 next year and the team will be basing decisions on the long term.

soulberg3
7/21/2020 1:02pm
Boomslang wrote:

soulberg3 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
It will be harder for Barcia to nail another top 5 next year and the team will be basing decisions on the long term.

The only reason it shocks me is barcia had some success this last season, Plessinger hasn’t. Really like the dude, just don’t think the Yamaha is for him. Plus Barcia could be a “mentor” of sorts for ferrandis and help him acclimate to the 450
RalphS
7/21/2020 1:03pm
Hate to say it but we might see Barcia on a privateer Honda
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/21/2020 1:15pm
soulberg3 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:

soulberg3 wrote:
The only reason it shocks me is barcia had some success this last season, Plessinger hasn’t. Really like the dude, just don’t think the Yamaha is...
The only reason it shocks me is barcia had some success this last season, Plessinger hasn’t. Really like the dude, just don’t think the Yamaha is for him. Plus Barcia could be a “mentor” of sorts for ferrandis and help him acclimate to the 450
Mentor maybe but he aint much use in the development side of the bike. Also I see DF as an exceptional rider and he will not need anything from Barcia. DF will be an immediate championship contender where as Barcia is on the backside of his career. RV is the mentor at Yamaha.

Barcia may even be better off in a privately back Honda where a team will build a bike around him.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/21/2020 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2020 1:23pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

We'll see.

Edit:

RichieW13 wrote:
MX304 wrote:
Yeah, a lot of 250 guys have gear deals.
Star, TLD, PC and Geico all have gear deals.
soulberg3
7/21/2020 2:22pm
Boomslang wrote:

soulberg3 wrote:
The only reason it shocks me is barcia had some success this last season, Plessinger hasn’t. Really like the dude, just don’t think the Yamaha is...
Boomslang wrote:
Mentor maybe but he aint much use in the development side of the bike. Also I see DF as an exceptional rider and he will not...
Mentor maybe but he aint much use in the development side of the bike. Also I see DF as an exceptional rider and he will not need anything from Barcia. DF will be an immediate championship contender where as Barcia is on the backside of his career. RV is the mentor at Yamaha.

Barcia may even be better off in a privately back Honda where a team will build a bike around him.
Everyone assumed CW would be an immediate title threat too so who knows

Post a reply to: Silly Season...

The Latest