Sidi X-3 vs Tech 7

About to by my self a pair of first time boots, am looking at the alpinestar tech 7 and the sidi X-3, was wondering if anyone had any idea on which would be best for mainly trail / adventure off-road riding I don't go to hardcore or race so just want best support and comfort. Want them to also last me as long as possible so not sure which are best choice, cheers
|
jeffro667
Fantasy
3599th
9/29/2018 6:18am
butch.mck wrote:
About to by my self a pair of first time boots, am looking at the alpinestar tech 7 and the sidi X-3, was wondering if anyone...
About to by my self a pair of first time boots, am looking at the alpinestar tech 7 and the sidi X-3, was wondering if anyone had any idea on which would be best for mainly trail / adventure off-road riding I don't go to hardcore or race so just want best support and comfort. Want them to also last me as long as possible so not sure which are best choice, cheers
I have the x3`s now, they are comfortable, and are wearing very well. I have no experience with tech 3`s, but I`ve had poor luck with excessive sole wear on previous astars.
MikeID
9/29/2018 7:54am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2018 7:59am
I was in the same position a few months ago. I just bought a set of Tech 7s. I tried both on and liked the feel of the 7s.

I only have about 15 hours on them. So far, they still look new. I don’t see any areas immediadely breaking down. Very comfortable. I felt confident with them quickly.

I’m on a KTM with OEM pegs, no sole wear yet. Those pegs don’t have super sharp edges, and I’m riding off road, so someone who is on the track would be a better source of info about that.

The only issue I have is to me the front of the boot is shorter, and I miss the metal toe guard for shifting up when standing up and back on the bike coming out of corners. It’s fine when sitting down, They are size 9’s, so I suspect a larger size would be fine in this scenario. It’s not a deal breaker yet, but I’m tempted to get a set of X3’s to try out.

Klinger
9/29/2018 8:54am
Hey Butch.mck,
I've spent a lot of time in Tech 7s. You can check out my official Vital Review here: Tested: Alpinestars Tech 7

The cliff notes are that the Tech 7's fit is a little on the loose side. Very comfortable but if you are a half size, go with the smaller (if you are 11.5, go with an 11). As far as comfort goes, the Tech 7 is lighter (less rider fatigue) than top level boots. They have good ankle flexibility without being too floppy/loose feeling like entry level boots can have. Durability has been great and I put a whole crap load of time on the last pair of Tech 7s I had. They were my go-to off-road boot because they were more comfortable for all day riding over Tech 10s.

I haven't worn the Sidi X-3s in a long time. Actually, I wore the X-Treme boots when they first came out, and I can't say for certain that the X-3 would be identical, but the X-3 did replace the X-Treme. Not sure if just a name change or different features. Overall, Sidis are going to be a little narrower in the foot. If you have a wide foot, the Astars are a better bet. If you have a narrow foot, go with the Sidis. If you have a normal foot, you can go with both. The hinge on the Sidis will offer a little more ankle articulation than the Tech 7, but it can feel less protective because of that large range of movement. I can't speak on the durability because I didn't wear them that long.

As for specifically off-road/ADV riding, I've seen a ton of Tech 7s on adventure bikes and off-road bikes. Plus, some pros choose to wear them over the Tech 10s because they are lighter. Mike Brown was one.

They are both solid choices, and I think it comes down to fit (if you have wide or narrow feet).
loftyair
9/29/2018 10:13am
Yep, fit. Even if the x-3 was 10x better, if they don't fit...

The Shop

Doddy
9/29/2018 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2018 11:37pm
Have not had X-3s, but can tell you the Tech 7 is probably the biggest piece of sh!t boot I have ever ridden in or tried on. Less than 20 hours without any razer sharp pegs, and they are almost ready for the garbage. It could be dry for weeks and somehow your boot will still get full of water. I'd say it was a bad pair if the other 3 people in our old group didn't have the same issues....

My opinion is this. I think offroad and trails can be more dangerous(generally) for your feet. I have caught roots, kicked rocks, been dismounted from my bike...... buy a good boot. Garne or SIDI. Worth every penny.

Post a reply to: Sidi X-3 vs Tech 7

The Latest