Sidi SRS vs TA

rohleder644
I’ve got a few pair of sidi crossfire 3’s. Overall, I dig them. They’re light, a comfortable fit (for me), and they look bitchin. But I feel like I don’t have much “pedal feel”. I just kinda feel vague with my brake and shifter operation. I’ve wondered if this was a result of the extra stiff srs sole. Certainly the ta’s would offer a little more feedback. But how much? Enough to be noticeable? Do I need to quit crying and deal with it like the overwhelming majority of sidi users? You don’t see many ta versions floating around. Also, I’ve got 3 pairs of these things. My riding time is laughable at best these days. There’s at least a chance they still need some break in. Is that even a thing with the srs sole?
|
willbilly
12/15/2021 5:28pm
I got the TA specifically for pedal feel. I believe the toe box is also thinner with the TA. Been very happy with them and when the soles wear out I send them to Randy at Pro Boot. He does great work.
loftyair
12/15/2021 6:01pm
I've also been a 'ta' guy, the '2' though. Haven't tried the 3. Same as above and you, more feel for me.
12/16/2021 12:56am
Cross fire 3 SRS has poor pedal feel compared to the crossfire 2 SRS. The TA is way better for pedal feel but if the crossfire 3 SRS fit good the TA fit a lot wider in the foot.
Bearuno
12/16/2021 2:13am
SRS for me!

I don't feel a damned bit of difference with gear shifting, and, I've not used a rear foot brake lever for a decade and a half, so, no problem there.

I love being able to change soles (MX/ Enduro / SM) in a few minutes, and, I've never worn an SRS sole out. Stitch on Soles, and other brands Glue on Soles, last only a few months ( when I'm riding a lot) for me, which I find strange.

The Shop

yz133rider
12/16/2021 5:17am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2021 5:18am
Sidi atojo is the best boot I’ve ever used. Safer than the crossfires, more feel and I just changed out the soles couple days ago.
rohleder644
12/16/2021 6:14am
yz133rider wrote:
Sidi atojo is the best boot I’ve ever used. Safer than the crossfires, more feel and I just changed out the soles couple days ago.
Did you have much experience with the crossfires? And the atojo offers more feel? It looks like the pro’s haven’t universally moved to the atojo. There’s still some guys running the crossfires. I wonder why?
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/16/2021 11:35am
I have the CF3 TA and the Atojo. I agree with YZ133rider the Atojo has much better ankle support and much more effective hyperflexion and hyperextension stops. I don't think there is a huge difference in feel, and I have a decent amount of hours in both. The Atojo has two issues for me. The ankle is a hair tighter and they hurt more to walk in (but not ride in) although the more I use them the better they feel. The Atojo has the pleather upper, and they are not as durable as the hard plastic on the CF3 that extends to the very top of the boot. The CF3 has an additional CE rating for that extra protection. This has only been an issue when getting tangled up with other bikes. It is not something that has issues until a spinning tire or titanium foot peg gets a hold of it. I have been able to repair them with Shoe goo. Ideally the Atojo would have the plastic shin plate extended to the top of the boot or maybe thicker pleather (or actual leather) up there.

I have quite a few hours on the CF3 and those grey plastic replaceable plates on the inside of the boots really take some damage. Not that I have broken them, but they do get scratched up quite a bit for me so I know they are working. I thought that was a bit of a gimmick, but apparently they make the boot more robust. I have seen Tech 10s cracked/cut in that spot. The Atojo has the same plates as the CF3.

Why have some top riders stayed with the CF3? Good question, as an MX race boot for a pro I think the better support of the Atojo is what you want. I think one of the guys who the Atojo is named for is still in CF3 (Prado maybe?). The CF3 TA might be a better enduro boot if you don't need the extra ankle support as the TA sole grips better on wet ground especially trying to walk up hills.
rohleder644
12/16/2021 3:45pm
Well, that was an incredibly thorough and insightful response. And yet, I think I’m even more unsure of which way to go haha.
murph783
12/16/2021 4:38pm
wrc777 wrote:
I have the CF3 TA and the Atojo. I agree with YZ133rider the Atojo has much better ankle support and much more effective hyperflexion and hyperextension...
I have the CF3 TA and the Atojo. I agree with YZ133rider the Atojo has much better ankle support and much more effective hyperflexion and hyperextension stops. I don't think there is a huge difference in feel, and I have a decent amount of hours in both. The Atojo has two issues for me. The ankle is a hair tighter and they hurt more to walk in (but not ride in) although the more I use them the better they feel. The Atojo has the pleather upper, and they are not as durable as the hard plastic on the CF3 that extends to the very top of the boot. The CF3 has an additional CE rating for that extra protection. This has only been an issue when getting tangled up with other bikes. It is not something that has issues until a spinning tire or titanium foot peg gets a hold of it. I have been able to repair them with Shoe goo. Ideally the Atojo would have the plastic shin plate extended to the top of the boot or maybe thicker pleather (or actual leather) up there.

I have quite a few hours on the CF3 and those grey plastic replaceable plates on the inside of the boots really take some damage. Not that I have broken them, but they do get scratched up quite a bit for me so I know they are working. I thought that was a bit of a gimmick, but apparently they make the boot more robust. I have seen Tech 10s cracked/cut in that spot. The Atojo has the same plates as the CF3.

Why have some top riders stayed with the CF3? Good question, as an MX race boot for a pro I think the better support of the Atojo is what you want. I think one of the guys who the Atojo is named for is still in CF3 (Prado maybe?). The CF3 TA might be a better enduro boot if you don't need the extra ankle support as the TA sole grips better on wet ground especially trying to walk up hills.
Does the lack of a top buckle bother you? I have ginormous legs, and knee pads that extend down into the boot. Closure is definitely an issue on some boots. Got srs2’s currently and gonna either go for crossfire 3’s (probably TA based on these responses) or atojos before long here
yz133rider
12/16/2021 4:54pm
yz133rider wrote:
Did you have much experience with the crossfires? And the atojo offers more feel? It looks like the pro’s haven’t universally moved to the atojo. There’s...
Did you have much experience with the crossfires? And the atojo offers more feel? It looks like the pro’s haven’t universally moved to the atojo. There’s still some guys running the crossfires. I wonder why?
I destroyed my ankle in a pair of crossfires. And never thought I’d use sidi again and the atojo was released and is drastically safer than the crossfires.

The crossfires can flex side to side insanely bad with very little support and that’s how my ankle got destroyed.

The atojos are a tight fit at the ankle early on but broke in and feel amazing now.

I wore 3 pairs of riding socks and rode a stationary bike with them on to force them to break in some as like already said they were tight to begin with.

But now I absolutely love them.

The upper is showing wear and I’ll probably put some shoe goo across the upper where it’s wearing to help it last longer.

But I can’t generally keep a pair of boots longer than 6 months I absolutely destroy soles.

So being able to replace soles and keep them going longer is amazing for me.

I do not trust the crossfires tho and wouldn’t recommend them to any friends. The atojos I 100% would.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/16/2021 6:40pm
wrc777 wrote:
I have the CF3 TA and the Atojo. I agree with YZ133rider the Atojo has much better ankle support and much more effective hyperflexion and hyperextension...

murph783 wrote:
Does the lack of a top buckle bother you? I have ginormous legs, and knee pads that extend down into the boot. Closure is definitely an...
Does the lack of a top buckle bother you? I have ginormous legs, and knee pads that extend down into the boot. Closure is definitely an issue on some boots. Got srs2’s currently and gonna either go for crossfire 3’s (probably TA based on these responses) or atojos before long here
I don’t even notice the lack of a top buckle. In fact I don’t even worry about the Velcro being pushed down hard. I wear the Leatt 3df knee pads so they don’t stick very far down in the boot. The top most buckle holds everything together pretty well.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
12/16/2021 6:58pm
I have the atojos and agree with what the other have pointed out: great boot, well balanced between weight, feel and protection. The pleather on the gusset portion above the shin plate is too weak and it will tear quickly but won’t cause structural issues or additional water ingress. It’s just a little ugly. The ankle is tight at first because the molding for the cuff is kind of shaped like a grocery store taco shell. That’s about the best way I can describe it. It breaks in and gets rounder through that part, but it takes a while.

As for feel, it’s admittedly not great. That said, the Atojos were a full inch shorter front to back than the 2016 Tech 10s I had in the same size (12M) so what I lot in feel I got back in mobility and ease of use on the shifter side and avoided accidental brake stabs.
jordand20
12/17/2021 2:42am
wrc777 wrote:

How is the fit between the two? I have CF3 TA and they're very wide. Wider than SG12. Everyone says that SRS versions are slimmer. But there is a significant width difference between CF2 TA and CF3 TA that no one admits. People tend to just say shit online because they had some experience with something from the same brand a decade ago (that's how I've ended up with CF3 clown shoes). It's a pain trying to find a premium, narrow boot.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/17/2021 3:47am
wrc777 wrote:

jordand20 wrote:
How is the fit between the two? I have CF3 TA and they're very wide. Wider than SG12. Everyone says that SRS versions are slimmer. But...
How is the fit between the two? I have CF3 TA and they're very wide. Wider than SG12. Everyone says that SRS versions are slimmer. But there is a significant width difference between CF2 TA and CF3 TA that no one admits. People tend to just say shit online because they had some experience with something from the same brand a decade ago (that's how I've ended up with CF3 clown shoes). It's a pain trying to find a premium, narrow boot.
The Atojo is narrower at the front. Heel is probably similar between the two. Atojo is narrower than tech 10 and sg12 too.
gkelm
3/27/2023 9:12pm

Picking this thread back up!  Bought a barely used set of Atojos, and the overall fit is good, but just walking around the house is killing my ankles. 

When I tried sets on in a shop, CF3 size 45 fit right, but the Atojo felt better in 44, which is what I have. I like a snug boot.

I see that some of you say they break in…was planning to sell them, but maybe I should give them some time? 

wwdiii
3/28/2023 3:15am

I have a pair of grey Sidi’s I bought couple years back, I think crossfire 3’s.  I think I bought them cause they were on sale. Put them on top shelf in the garage and forgot about them.  Noticed them the other day.  I need to get them down and break them in.  

wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/28/2023 3:50am

My first set of atojo hurt my ankles to walk in but felt great on the bike. They should loosen up some. If anyone wants to try atojos they are on eBay for $266 right now from chrome burner. 

Spoonguy
3/28/2023 4:01am

I always buy SRS. I ride maybe 250 hours a year or more, and stand on the pegs a lot. I go through a couple soles a year.

Spoonguy
3/28/2023 4:02am
wrc777 wrote:
My first set of atojo hurt my ankles to walk in but felt great on the bike. They should loosen up some. If anyone wants to...

My first set of atojo hurt my ankles to walk in but felt great on the bike. They should loosen up some. If anyone wants to try atojos they are on eBay for $266 right now from chrome burner. 

I buy Airoh Helmets from them.

Natester551v
3/28/2023 5:48am
wrc777 wrote:
My first set of atojo hurt my ankles to walk in but felt great on the bike. They should loosen up some. If anyone wants to...

crazy good deal...thanks for the heads up!

Post a reply to: Sidi SRS vs TA

The Latest