Sidecar Motocross

level
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2022 12:32pm
You guys ever seen that? I guess it's a European thing been around a while. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them jumping like a 60 foot double with a sidecar on it.
|
8/29/2015 9:11am
sure seen it before , we Dutch got a multiple worldchamp in sidecar MX ...

Ninurta
8/29/2015 9:20am
When you have the chance to attend an SMXGP go for it! These guys are nuts WoohooWoohoo
Krazyk2774
8/29/2015 9:24am
I have heard of it but never paid much attention. That is pretty crazy, those guys are fearless and very talented!

The Shop

Sparky_27
8/29/2015 9:47am
Love watching Chariot racing!!
We have a big international meeting here in the UK this bank holiday Monday!
Weather permitting!!!
Here's some photos from the Frome round of the British Championship earlier this year.

philG
8/29/2015 10:24am
Great track Frome, ridden there in British 4 Stroke back in the day , always ran with sidecars , they used to dig hoooge ruts, and pull massive rocks out up the top field , used to be the size of your head LOL.

Always wanted a go , will try and blag a go at some point , what's the worst that can happen.
Sidecar
8/29/2015 10:38am
philG wrote:
Great track Frome, ridden there in British 4 Stroke back in the day , always ran with sidecars , they used to dig hoooge ruts, and...
Great track Frome, ridden there in British 4 Stroke back in the day , always ran with sidecars , they used to dig hoooge ruts, and pull massive rocks out up the top field , used to be the size of your head LOL.

Always wanted a go , will try and blag a go at some point , what's the worst that can happen.
No blagging needed Phil, you can jump in for a couple of laps sometime!!!!!!

We are in the race at Frome above, see photo.

Building a bike for the Weston Beach Race today and turning spanners for a crew at Langrish on Monday.

Sidecarcross is awesome and needs to be seen in person to truly get the full perspective, most bikes run 80bhp + motors!!!!

Sparky_27
8/29/2015 10:54am
philG wrote:
Great track Frome, ridden there in British 4 Stroke back in the day , always ran with sidecars , they used to dig hoooge ruts, and...

Same here, used to race the trikes at the same meetings as the chairs. Great atomsphere and got to ride some good meetings in UK & Holland. My favourite was GP at Halle in Holland.
Plus one year at the schevenghen beach race we rode with the sidecars. Getting roosted by 1000cc folan is no fun!!!
I would love a chance to have a go, but not fit enough now!!
kongols
8/29/2015 11:26am
JackLHyde wrote:
Why do these guys tape up their boots?
Only passenger does that. When you lean out it could get full of dirt.
RM Mike
8/29/2015 11:41am
I remember the sidecar races when I was a teen at the Madera Lakes track in Ca. back in '77 and '78. We all thought they were crazy. I don't remember much about the bikes but they were based on Euro bikes of that time. Big Maicos and such.
Kanista
8/29/2015 11:48am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 12:13pm
JackLHyde wrote:
Why do these guys tape up their boots?
kongols wrote:
Only passenger does that. When you lean out it could get full of dirt.
it also keeps the boots from opening itselfs.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/29/2015 12:00pm
That is a perfect winter project! How do you talk someone into riding on the sidecar?
kongols
8/29/2015 12:13pm
imoto34 wrote:
That is a perfect winter project! How do you talk someone into riding on the sidecar?
Just look for a craziest person around. He might just do it.
8/29/2015 12:58pm
Go allot to the sidecar races, nice for photos and deep respect for the passengers, by far the most crazy and fittest man out there. Like Kaspars Stupilis who is passenger for the current camp leader, and also trainer for the factory husky riders @ the gp's

Kanista
8/29/2015 1:28pm
sidecar racing is quite complex.
it starts with both riders, wich have to be quite close to each other as it has very much to do with knowing how the other guy is reacting and trust him to do the right things. then both have to be healty and have their minds set the same. it doesnt work longtermed when someone is in it to win it and the other does it just for fun as example. you really should be able to talk with each others about how it feels for you on the track and also accept the others opinion.

then you have the bike, wich needs tons of maintenance. you have so many options enginewise, but finding a setup that works is not always easy. every engine got its weak points and you mostly get to know them when they fail. so keep a second engine ready for exchange.

the suspension is hard to understand aswell. sidecars got a very special front suspension and reacts different then normal forks. very few people really understands how to deal with settings and are able to change the setting to fit the track. of course, the shocks can fail aswell. so keep one complete set as spare of them aswell.

last but not least there has to be a team wich helps you, even if its not raceday. its nearly impossible to do your workouts so you can last a weekend racing, plus keeping the bike in good condition, plus looking after financial supporter.

if all those things fall in place, both riders dont get hurt and you still got some motivation left to do it over and over again, without really getting something as reward, then you are ready to go for some good sidecar-racing! its a hell of a life experience.
8/29/2015 2:40pm
And don't forget, these racers riding the world championship are no pro's. All have to work during the week to keep going in the weekend
Sidecar
8/30/2015 12:37am

What the hell a couple more photos. My brother Rob and me on our EML KX500 and two of my best mates, Tom and Andy Smith, VMC KTM540.
As above, the work and commitment put in by every sidecarcross team is phenomenal, the bike wears out tyres, chains, sprockets, brake pads etc twice as fast as a solo plus the extra strain on the engine means clutches, bearings, gearbox components etc take a real pounding, then there's the damage caused by bumping, ramming, crashing into track marker posts etc, the bikes look battered very quickly yet everybody puts the hours in so our bikes look and run fresh every time out.
It's a lot of hard work but very rewarding.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/30/2015 6:37am
It looks super awkward. Whats the learning curve like?
ti473
8/30/2015 6:47am
I notice how the Brits have their sidecar on the left while others have it on the right, how does it work when they go to an international race and there are both types? I would think it could be awkward, no?
Sparky_27
8/30/2015 9:06am
ti473 wrote:
I notice how the Brits have their sidecar on the left while others have it on the right, how does it work when they go to...
I notice how the Brits have their sidecar on the left while others have it on the right, how does it work when they go to an international race and there are both types? I would think it could be awkward, no?
Nearly all British crews have left hand chairs, though some continental riders do have left hand ones.
But to answer your question they race together. Though some people seam to think that the right hand version has the advantage! It makes the racing more interesting
DownSouth
8/30/2015 9:15am
Someone explain why they run the leading link front ends?

Does the sidecar increase the side load when cornering that could cause standard fork tubes to twist in the clamps?
Sidecar
8/30/2015 10:02am
DownSouth wrote:
Someone explain why they run the leading link front ends? Does the sidecar increase the side load when cornering that could cause standard fork tubes to...
Someone explain why they run the leading link front ends?

Does the sidecar increase the side load when cornering that could cause standard fork tubes to twist in the clamps?
We run the leading link forks because the sideways force on telescopic forks would cause them to stick meaning no suspension while cornering. The side forces on the suspension/wheels etc are massive when cornering, spokes need checking EVERY ride.

As for the learning curve, it's very difficult at first but you soon get used to it, it feels odd not having to balance at first, especially when you ride along a slope or uneven ground. Being British our sidecar is on the left so when you lay the power down hard you have to turn the bars to the right, sort of dragging the front wheel sideways as the sidecar acts like a dragging effect, then when you shut off you have to turn the bars left as you brake as the un braked sidecar wheel then wants to coast/freewheel on meaning if your diving into a left hand turn you start to under steer/push the front end massively, this is when it's critical for the passenger to dive left (into the D as we call it) If your turning right you just chop the throttle late, brake hard and let the sidecar push you into the turn with the passenger over the rear end/ back fender to stop you high siding/rolling over. It's an art form but once mastered is mega.
Kanista
8/30/2015 12:25pm
having the sidecar on the opposite side as your rivals can be odd, because they will make ruts u cant really use. on the other hand it can be a good thing aswell, when the ruts get too deep and you want to avoid them.
plowboy
8/30/2015 1:04pm
I was stationed in England from "77 to "80. I did some club racing and most of the tracks started as "grass". By the time those monster sidecars came off...there was a beautiful track between the banners. Here in the States, if the track is super muddy I always push to let the 4 wheeler's run first. Self serving...yes.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/30/2015 1:30pm
That's awesome Sidecar. One day I'll get to have a go at it.
plowboy
8/30/2015 2:00pm
imoto34 wrote:
Driving...yes. monkey...no frikkin way.Sideways
Sidecar
8/30/2015 2:59pm
imoto34 wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Driving...yes. monkey...no frikkin way.Sideways
Don't be too quick to dismiss being a top level passenger, they are in short supply and get lots of offers to ride, it's a way to be involved in the sport without spending much cash.... The rider/driver tends to own the bike and race truck, fund the entries, fuel, spares, entries, paying mechanics etc and the passenger rocks up and gets the trophy girl!!!!! Well maybe not the trophy girl, you don't get much monster energy type hype at sidecarcross races.
Never thought this thread would last this long on page one, not my thread but thanks for all the interest in my little niche.

Post a reply to: Sidecar Motocross

The Latest