Showa, kyb, ohlins, or wp

dmm698
12/3/2018 6:17pm
So you are looking for kit suspension for your 19 kawi? Do you realize those forks are current showa kit forks that are available for purchase...
So you are looking for kit suspension for your 19 kawi? Do you realize those forks are current showa kit forks that are available for purchase? Exactly the same minus coatings, clicker adjusters, and preload adjustability
Justin345 wrote:
I understand the design and size of the damp. rod and base valve is the same as the A kit variant, but surely there are more...
I understand the design and size of the damp. rod and base valve is the same as the A kit variant, but surely there are more differences between full kit and stock? Coatings and lugs are obvious, but are all internals not CNC’d vice cast with tighter tolerances, etc?
Billet lugs arent going to do a thing for a mere mortal over cast, other than potentially add weight as usually there will be more material there. Look at KYB billet lugs vs cast lugs for size comparison.

I'm pretty sure the inner upper tube is impregnated on the production 19 kx450 upper tube. Other than the placebo effect of the exterior dark kashima, they're essentially the same I believe.

You can put billet pistons in this if you really wanted to.

Basically none of the used dual spring a kit stuff that you see pop up used is better than the production fork. Anybody is entitled to spend however they see fit, but unless you're buying a brand new set of spring works forks from showa, I dont think you're gaining anything. And you're what, 6500$ for a new set, plus clamps? I havent been into the internals of a 2018+ showa a kit spring fork from PC so I cant comment on how they compare to the production 19 kx 450 fork, but I'm sure for 99.9% of the riders out there its not worth the price tag. And i've owned and ridden Kit stuff so i'm not just blowing smoke about how its a waist of money. I'll be moving my kit internals from my old kit shock over to the production body because right now PC doesnt have a body for the 19.
blaze 57
12/3/2018 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 6:29pm
mg311 wrote:
i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the...
i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the best solution for veterans
Why is KYB the best solution for veterans?
mg311 wrote:
because you can have an incredible comfort with a very high bottoming resist front and rear
As far as inserts go been talking to Cory at Pro Tune suspension on Facebook back and forth and he told me he would go with the Dal Soggio spheres over the technical touch KYB kit for vet riders.

He said the sphere are plusher than the KYB's and runs them on his bike.

Still have not decided what I'm going to do. I want to switch out my AER's to spring and I have 10 plus yr experience with the KYB sss suspension on my Yamaha's and they are easy to work on and parts fast and easy to get.
12/3/2018 7:01pm
mg311 wrote:
i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the...
i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the best solution for veterans
mg311 wrote:
because you can have an incredible comfort with a very high bottoming resist front and rear
but you can get that with Showa, WP, and Ohlins, too.
BR8ES
12/3/2018 8:37pm
If it was me, I would go KYB, Showa or WP for the servicibility. Having Ohlins can be a PITA, I know...

The Shop

Flocky11
12/4/2018 12:42am
First post but something I've had a bit of first hand experience on...

I rode KTM's for 10 years up until last season where I switched to Yamaha. Everyone told me how blown away I'd be by the suspension but having switch from cone valves (I had 1 set of silver, then 2 sets of the new black sets), I could not get the front end to handle. Changing springs and valving multiple times it just wasn't happening.

I was then told by a couple of guys on Yamahas that had bought them that A-kit was the way to go and would solve all my issues. A few grand lighter and I now had a fresh set of A-kit front and rear from technical touch...same problem.

The front end would not hold up in the stroke and the only way to solve it was run mega stiff springs, which in turn made me lose the plush-ness that everyone raved about. Spent all year switching settings and testing and never felt fully comfortable. Oh and by the way, the A-kit does need servicing just as much as the new black cone valves. 40 hours if you're riding dry conditions.

I have now sold my A-kit and have a set of cone valve and trax shock on order for my 2019 YZ 450.I know these will hold up and the level of adjustability is infinite with the conical valve internal, plush the 40 clicks of compression adjustment.

These should be here next week and I may make a video comparing my stock yamaha suspension Vs new WP stuff. Bottom line is, it comes down to what you like. I like a bike that sits up in the stroke and holds the front so I've gone WP. I'm sure there will be a few guys on here saying I am mad...
Motofinne
12/4/2018 12:54am
Keefer has been testing the WP CV/Trax setup on the 2019 YZF 450. It will be interesting to read his review.
Flocky11
12/4/2018 3:06am
Yup, I think WP are making a big push to show they aren't just the Austrian manufacturers suspension of choice.

I think it was Vital that just did the test of WP units on the new RM-Z and claimed a massive overall improvement...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/4/2018 5:46am
Flocky11 wrote:
First post but something I've had a bit of first hand experience on... I rode KTM's for 10 years up until last season where I switched...
First post but something I've had a bit of first hand experience on...

I rode KTM's for 10 years up until last season where I switched to Yamaha. Everyone told me how blown away I'd be by the suspension but having switch from cone valves (I had 1 set of silver, then 2 sets of the new black sets), I could not get the front end to handle. Changing springs and valving multiple times it just wasn't happening.

I was then told by a couple of guys on Yamahas that had bought them that A-kit was the way to go and would solve all my issues. A few grand lighter and I now had a fresh set of A-kit front and rear from technical touch...same problem.

The front end would not hold up in the stroke and the only way to solve it was run mega stiff springs, which in turn made me lose the plush-ness that everyone raved about. Spent all year switching settings and testing and never felt fully comfortable. Oh and by the way, the A-kit does need servicing just as much as the new black cone valves. 40 hours if you're riding dry conditions.

I have now sold my A-kit and have a set of cone valve and trax shock on order for my 2019 YZ 450.I know these will hold up and the level of adjustability is infinite with the conical valve internal, plush the 40 clicks of compression adjustment.

These should be here next week and I may make a video comparing my stock yamaha suspension Vs new WP stuff. Bottom line is, it comes down to what you like. I like a bike that sits up in the stroke and holds the front so I've gone WP. I'm sure there will be a few guys on here saying I am mad...
I wouldn't call you mad, you describe the feeling I get from a WP CV fork to a T. Albeit, with a slight opposite feeling as I don't like forks that feel held up in the stroke and topped out like that. But, that's why there is different settings and complete setups as not everyone wants the same feeling from the bike.
macz400
12/4/2018 5:56am
EHink450 wrote:
I'm looking into getting some kit suspension and I'm looking for your guys opinions on which would be best. I was looking into the showa since...
I'm looking into getting some kit suspension and I'm looking for your guys opinions on which would be best. I was looking into the showa since the Kawasaki is already showa but they are very expensive and I read they're set up more for really good riders (which I dont get. I thought they were all set up individually for the rider) and I'm more of a B class dude. Any input about them would be appreciated and not to sound like a dick but please dont tell me I'm not good enough for it and I'm out of my league, all that crap. Its my choice and I'm just looking to see if anyone has a kit and what they think about it, if it was worth it. Thanks
PM sent
H4L
12/4/2018 6:33am
With a proper revalve he can have them working as good as all the brands mentioned
Agree. The new Showa A-kit production suspension is very good from the showroom floor. I'd imagine a revalve would put it a notch above if done by a reputable tuner who has done some R&D.
mg311
12/4/2018 10:09am
There’s some on eBay now that will fit the Kawi
EHink450 wrote:
Fit the 19' kawi 450?
ML512 wrote:
Right now there isn't a KYB shock body that will fit the '19 KX450, I have one but it was shipped from Japan and it's an...
Right now there isn't a KYB shock body that will fit the '19 KX450, I have one but it was shipped from Japan and it's an early run... The fork lugs are also different as the new axle is 2mm bigger in OD.
on yours honda you did a suspension comparison which one you prefer?
Flocky11
12/6/2018 4:23am
Keefer's Podcast on the YZ450 with WP Cone Valve and Trax is released now and everything he talks about is exactly why I've just invested in this stuff for my 2019 YZ450

16:30 of the podcast: "I get asked this all the time: If I was buying A-kit for my bike would I buy WP....Absolutely I would buy WP..."

He doesn't know if the WP kit is fully justified based on the price tag but there is definitely a marked improvement in performance and durability.
Motofinne
12/6/2018 5:19am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 5:22am
Flocky11 wrote:
Keefer's Podcast on the YZ450 with WP Cone Valve and Trax is released now and everything he talks about is exactly why I've just invested in...
Keefer's Podcast on the YZ450 with WP Cone Valve and Trax is released now and everything he talks about is exactly why I've just invested in this stuff for my 2019 YZ450

16:30 of the podcast: "I get asked this all the time: If I was buying A-kit for my bike would I buy WP....Absolutely I would buy WP..."

He doesn't know if the WP kit is fully justified based on the price tag but there is definitely a marked improvement in performance and durability.
I also listened to it this morning. I like Keefer and his podcasts but one thing annoyed me a bit.

He kept talking about how surprising the end result was and how good the WP kit stuff actually worked on the YZF. But he never talked about why he was surprised by it specifically. After listening to it i just had one question in my head and that was why he had relatively low expectations going in to the test. Saying that you got pleasantly surprised by an product doesn't really give the listeners anything unless you explain why.

I might be nitpicking here but that is something he could work on in future tests/podcasts!

Flocky11
12/6/2018 5:33am
Motofinne wrote:
I also listened to it this morning. I like Keefer and his podcasts but one thing annoyed me a bit. He kept talking about how surprising...
I also listened to it this morning. I like Keefer and his podcasts but one thing annoyed me a bit.

He kept talking about how surprising the end result was and how good the WP kit stuff actually worked on the YZF. But he never talked about why he was surprised by it specifically. After listening to it i just had one question in my head and that was why he had relatively low expectations going in to the test. Saying that you got pleasantly surprised by an product doesn't really give the listeners anything unless you explain why.

I might be nitpicking here but that is something he could work on in future tests/podcasts!

I totally agree!

I also don't understand why he was so surprised at how well they work considering he raves about the WP kit performance on his KTM. The equipment has its specific characteristics and always will based on the technology, regardless of what bike they are bolted on to.

@Motofinne, I am racing in Heinola, Finland September next year for European enduro championship, so maybe we can talk about this over a cold beer!
AJ565
12/6/2018 5:43am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 5:44am
Aluminum frame vs. steel frame maybe? It does seem that others have said that the KYB and Showa feel different on a KTM because of how they flex vs. WP. I remember reading that was part of the reason Reed went from KYB on his Husky to WP tubes with KYB internals.

For the record I have CV's on my bike and they are a huge improvement over the AER48.
Motofinne
12/6/2018 5:48am
AJ565 wrote:
Aluminum frame vs. steel frame maybe? It does seem that others have said that the KYB and Showa feel different on a KTM because of how...
Aluminum frame vs. steel frame maybe? It does seem that others have said that the KYB and Showa feel different on a KTM because of how they flex vs. WP. I remember reading that was part of the reason Reed went from KYB on his Husky to WP tubes with KYB internals.

For the record I have CV's on my bike and they are a huge improvement over the AER48.
Yeah i would guess that also.
Monk
12/6/2018 7:31am
mg311 wrote:
blaze 57 wrote:
As far as inserts go been talking to Cory at Pro Tune suspension on Facebook back and forth and he told me he would go with...
As far as inserts go been talking to Cory at Pro Tune suspension on Facebook back and forth and he told me he would go with the Dal Soggio spheres over the technical touch KYB kit for vet riders.

He said the sphere are plusher than the KYB's and runs them on his bike.

Still have not decided what I'm going to do. I want to switch out my AER's to spring and I have 10 plus yr experience with the KYB sss suspension on my Yamaha's and they are easy to work on and parts fast and easy to get.
I run Dal Soggio Spheres, previously on my KTM and now in my new Husky. 400+hrs and they are a thing of perfection. Would highly recommend a set.

Post a reply to: Showa, kyb, ohlins, or wp

The Latest