Showa, kyb, ohlins, or wp

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2018 12:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2018 9:18 AM

I'm looking into getting some kit suspension and I'm looking for your guys opinions on which would be best. I was looking into the showa since the Kawasaki is already showa but they are very expensive and I read they're set up more for really good riders (which I dont get. I thought they were all set up individually for the rider) and I'm more of a B class dude. Any input about them would be appreciated and not to sound like a dick but please dont tell me I'm not good enough for it and I'm out of my league, all that crap. Its my choice and I'm just looking to see if anyone has a kit and what they think about it, if it was worth it. Thanks

|

12/3/2018 12:35 AM

They're all good! I think the WP are the best performing for the money however i've also heard their service intervals are more often. Ohlins are good but i'm not sure about access to reputable tuners in the US. They're popular in europe and with their new shock simplifying the set up it might be better for you. KYB is also very nice i've not heard many bad things about it....so i have limited information.

I'd just go for the one you get the best deal on. they're all better than Stock and you'd be happy with all of them. If you can get a ride on any test sets or mates bikes with it on and maybe do it that way?

|

12/3/2018 12:50 AM

personally i had two kit of wp one for mx and one for enduro fork work really really well you can stay in comfort with a superb bottoming resist shock trax shock is strange (less comfort no bladder) i don't like trax system for mx it work well only on hard pack with holes is very good in enduro. Service for wp are very expensive .Now i'm riding an 18 yz 450 f with technical touch kyb kit for mx i prefer kyb more comfort from the shock and same as wp from the fork service cost you less money than wp.

|

12/3/2018 12:57 AM

Yeah the KYB kit is on top of my list right now, but still wanna do my homework on the others. Thanks for the help so far fellas. The rest of you, keep it coming please!

|

12/3/2018 1:08 AM

I would go with KYB. Suspension that is well known by every single tuner out there, dialing it in will be a piece of cake and the quality is top notch. Cone Valves are very good, but fragile. They just seem to wear out faster than others. KYB seems more bulletproof. Ohlins is decent as well, all around very good quality. I have never tried Showa A-kit, so cannot comment on those.
You will be happy with whichever you choose, as either will be a huge improvement. Look for a good deal.

|

12/3/2018 1:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2018 1:28 AM

EHink450 wrote:

Yeah the KYB kit is on top of my list right now, but still wanna do my homework on the others. Thanks for the help so far ...more

Don't have experience with WP or Ohlins.
Showa is more along the lines of performance and KYB is comfort.
Showa will be more rigid and shine the faster you go.
KYB is less rigid and will suite your skill level better.
If the valving is bad in whatever you choose its a waste.
Choose a reputable A-Kit tuner.
Be honest with your skill level and riding conditions, not some dream level.
Getting them set up correctly the first time is key.

KYB all the way!!!!

|

12/3/2018 1:45 AM

Keep in mind that KYB kit suspension is very, very close to the production KYB stuff.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

12/3/2018 1:49 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Keep in mind that KYB kit suspension is very, very close to the production KYB stuff.

not so close new cartridge on 18 450 and 19 250 is different also collars kashima coated and obviously setting

|

12/3/2018 2:03 AM

Motofinne wrote:

mg311 wrote:

not so close new cartridge on 18 450 and 19 250 is different also collars kashima coated and obviously setting

Still by far the closest compared to the others!

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

12/3/2018 3:33 AM

If only someone would do an A-kit comparison shootout whistling

|

12/3/2018 7:21 AM

There’s some on eBay now that will fit the Kawi

|

12/3/2018 7:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2018 7:25 AM

|

12/3/2018 7:25 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Fit the 19' kawi 450?

|

12/3/2018 7:48 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

EHink450 wrote:

Fit the 19' kawi 450?

So you are looking for kit suspension for your 19 kawi? Do you realize those forks are current showa kit forks that are available for purchase? Exactly the same minus coatings, clicker adjusters, and preload adjustability

|

IG @jaredkeller96

12/3/2018 7:53 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

EHink450 wrote:

Fit the 19' kawi 450?

Right now there isn't a KYB shock body that will fit the '19 KX450, I have one but it was shipped from Japan and it's an early run... The fork lugs are also different as the new axle is 2mm bigger in OD.

|

12/3/2018 7:58 AM

Stick with KYB. Easy choice.

|

12/3/2018 8:15 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

EHink450 wrote:

Fit the 19' kawi 450?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

So you are looking for kit suspension for your 19 kawi? Do you realize those forks are current showa kit forks that are ...more

Is it really? I mean I like the suspension as far as stock goes but I didn't think that's what the a kit would be(minus the coatings)... I thought the kyb kit would be way nicer. That's the one I was leaning towards. So you think I should just send it off for a revalve first and see how that works out?

|

12/3/2018 8:18 AM

EHink450 wrote:

Fit the 19' kawi 450?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

So you are looking for kit suspension for your 19 kawi? Do you realize those forks are current showa kit forks that are ...more

EHink450 wrote:

Is it really? I mean I like the suspension as far as stock goes but I didn't think that's what the a kit would be(minus the ...more

Yes it is. Bigger internals than kyb. 14mm damp rod compared to 12.5, 39mm base piston compared to 35 I believe. It’s a good fork. It irritates me seeing people with the new Honda/rmz/kxf looking for kit forks when it’s the same stuff

|

IG @jaredkeller96

12/3/2018 8:29 AM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

EHink450 wrote:

Is it really? I mean I like the suspension as far as stock goes but I didn't think that's what the a kit would be(minus the ...more

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Yes it is. Bigger internals than kyb. 14mm damp rod compared to 12.5, 39mm base piston compared to 35 I believe. It’s a good ...more

Well I'm definitely not a suspension expert but thanks for your input you probably saved me alot of money. You got any more recommendations on who would do the best revalve? The only ones I've ever used were race tech and PC. Both of which I liked but I dont know if any specific one would be better for the showa stuff

|

12/3/2018 8:31 AM

EHink450 wrote:

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Yes it is. Bigger internals than kyb. 14mm damp rod compared to 12.5, 39mm base piston compared to 35 I believe. It’s a good ...more

EHink450 wrote:

Well I'm definitely not a suspension expert but thanks for your input you probably saved me alot of money. You got any more ...more

Can’t go wrong with PC, it’s a fork they’ve been working on for a few years, compared to the other companies that are familiar with the older “production” forks

|

IG @jaredkeller96

12/3/2018 8:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2018 11:12 AM

i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the best solution for veterans

|

12/3/2018 10:58 AM

You can't go wrong with ohlins, from what you said they sound perfect for you and are easy to on sell. Super plush and super easy to dial in now with the flow shock. Showa A kit stuff is really good but still needs to be set up and work with a good tuner where the ohlins is pretty much bolt on and spring rate.

|

12/3/2018 11:00 AM

Rotaholic wrote:

You can't go wrong with ohlins, from what you said they sound perfect for you and are easy to on sell. Super plush and super ...more

Like I said in the previous post. Production is “a” kit. Why would you downgrade to less superior suspension such as Öhlins?

|

IG @jaredkeller96

12/3/2018 11:20 AM

Rotaholic wrote:

You can't go wrong with ohlins, from what you said they sound perfect for you and are easy to on sell. Super plush and super ...more

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Like I said in the previous post. Production is “a” kit. Why would you downgrade to less superior suspension such as Öhlins?

Ive spent a bit of time on the 19 KXF and own a 18 RMZ, I have revalved the stock showa forks with an A kit shock and am perfectly happy with the results. Ohlins is a great setup as I have owned both. He said he was a "B class dude" and I think the plusher ohlins would suit him better.

|

12/3/2018 11:31 AM

Rotaholic wrote:

jaredkeller96 wrote:

Rotaholic wrote:

Ive spent a bit of time on the 19 KXF and own a 18 RMZ, I have revalved the stock showa forks with an A kit shock and am ...more

With a proper revalve he can have them working as good as all the brands mentioned

|

IG @jaredkeller96

12/3/2018 12:52 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

With a proper revalve he can have them working as good as all the brands mentioned

I think that's what I'm gonna try. Just a revalve by PC. I had my showa stuff on my cr250 years back done by them and I was very happy with it. If I'm not happy with it, I'll try something else down the road

|

12/3/2018 2:45 PM

mg311 wrote:

i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the best ...more

Why is KYB the best solution for veterans?

|

12/3/2018 2:47 PM

mg311 wrote:

i will start this month my new 19 crf 450 bike and i will fit KYB kit from technical touch i think KYB kit is the best ...more

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Why is KYB the best solution for veterans?

because you can have an incredible comfort with a very high bottoming resist front and rear

|

12/3/2018 3:08 PM

EHink450 wrote:

Yeah the KYB kit is on top of my list right now, but still wanna do my homework on the others. Thanks for the help so far ...more

I saw a review a few years back of a number of A-Kit suspensions, and the most interesting thing was that the difference between KYB A-kit, and KYB production with custom valving was the smallest of any. And KYB A-kit was very good. In other words...production KYB re-valved to your liking by someone like Enzo is pretty darned good.

|

12/3/2018 4:29 PM

I literally sold my a kit forks off when I bought my 19. Jarred Keller isnt blowing smoke, the new production fork is essentially kit stuff minus the kashima uppers, some of the kashima on the internals, and billet lugs. Heck the A kit forks I had were 07-08 era and had 12.5mm dampening rods and the new 19 fork was 14mm. It was a no brainer. I know you want to spend whatever money you fell into but your waisting your money on kit forks. Buy a kit shock when they have a body available for the 19 if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

|