Show us your private tracks

Hammer 663s
1/23/2018 10:39am
I'm not gonna question anyone's financial position but to have a track, the size as some of you guys have here, in the UK, you would...
I'm not gonna question anyone's financial position but to have a track, the size as some of you guys have here, in the UK, you would need to have very deep pockets. Even if you had the money, getting permission from the local authorities would probably never happen, due to noise and greens moaning about the environment.

I spend about $2,500 US a year on mine. I rent a small dozer and tractor/tiller 1-2x a year for major work, plus have some sawdust and sand brought in too. I have my own tractor, but it's old and not up to serious work, just good for mowing and minor dirt moving. God knows how many hours of labor I put in every year. Lots and lots, but it's good mental therapy and gets me out of the house, plus keeps me in shape.

So it's not a huge expense really, if you have the land. If I had more $$$ I'd have a water truck and my own bobcat for sure. And a mechanic. Smile

Hammer 663s
motomojo
1/23/2018 10:44am
I'm not gonna question anyone's financial position but to have a track, the size as some of you guys have here, in the UK, you would...
I'm not gonna question anyone's financial position but to have a track, the size as some of you guys have here, in the UK, you would need to have very deep pockets. Even if you had the money, getting permission from the local authorities would probably never happen, due to noise and greens moaning about the environment.

Well here in Arizona it's still pretty much the wild west i never even got permits to build my shop and 2 houses. Didn't even give it a thought on building the track.
I'm 40 miles from the nearest town so we don't see too many of those folks up here Officials and Authorities and such. We still carry firearms on our hip everywhere we go as it is still legal here to do so.
Now you go someplace like Phoenix and yeah you got problems Agenda 21 is very much in play down there...it will get here eventually but until then i will continue to enjoy living on the land.

As far as deep pockets sure you will have to buy or rent heavy equipment if you have none and land of course but it's all in the planning of your life. When you (not you personally) went in debt for 30 years on that nice house in the suburbs maybe a rethink was in order and you should have bought some land instead. I have been planning this since high school i knew exactly what i was going to do so i prepared accordingly.
If you just up and decide to buy land to build a track yeah you better have some very deep pockets. Time is the killer if you don't have the time to maintain it your better off paying to ride at a public track.
1/23/2018 10:48am

It was a dream I've had since I turned 18 and started riding (I'm now 31). Noticed I need to change my profile pic that's from when I was 19. If you have the land and can run a dozer it's not too bad to build the track. I think dozer rental and gas was under $3000. The expensive part is after you build it and realize all the other stuff you need/want to make it a better experience or usable more of the time. Right now I have no way to water the track so I'm at the mercy of the weather. Luckily the track drains super well. We had flooding in the area last year and every track was shut down, ditches along the roads were full of 1-2' of water but this track was perfectly rideable. So now I'm looking at a water truck and finding one in the size I need that runs and drives is hard to find under $10,000. Luckily having a horse pasture my parents already owned the tractor with front end loader for general touch ups and refacing the jumps however with the front end loader it doesn't like to pull a disk or plow through sand (too much weight on the front means it easily gets stuck even with wheel weights) So now I'd be looking for a second tractor that can chisel plow. This just shows the point i've heard echoed from everyone that has built a private track. The upkeep is what gets expensive. I don't know if I'll ever have the money for a water truck or second tractor but the track is still fun regardless.
ehr400
1/23/2018 10:56am

It was a dream I've had since I turned 18 and started riding (I'm now 31). Noticed I need to change my profile pic that's from...
It was a dream I've had since I turned 18 and started riding (I'm now 31). Noticed I need to change my profile pic that's from when I was 19. If you have the land and can run a dozer it's not too bad to build the track. I think dozer rental and gas was under $3000. The expensive part is after you build it and realize all the other stuff you need/want to make it a better experience or usable more of the time. Right now I have no way to water the track so I'm at the mercy of the weather. Luckily the track drains super well. We had flooding in the area last year and every track was shut down, ditches along the roads were full of 1-2' of water but this track was perfectly rideable. So now I'm looking at a water truck and finding one in the size I need that runs and drives is hard to find under $10,000. Luckily having a horse pasture my parents already owned the tractor with front end loader for general touch ups and refacing the jumps however with the front end loader it doesn't like to pull a disk or plow through sand (too much weight on the front means it easily gets stuck even with wheel weights) So now I'd be looking for a second tractor that can chisel plow. This just shows the point i've heard echoed from everyone that has built a private track. The upkeep is what gets expensive. I don't know if I'll ever have the money for a water truck or second tractor but the track is still fun regardless.
Do you have a nearby creek or pond? There has been a few different ways we have ran water over the years for watering. Curious where are you at in Milan?

The Shop

motomojo
1/23/2018 11:00am

I spend about $2,500 US a year on mine. I rent a small dozer and tractor/tiller 1-2x a year for major work, plus have some sawdust...
I spend about $2,500 US a year on mine. I rent a small dozer and tractor/tiller 1-2x a year for major work, plus have some sawdust and sand brought in too. I have my own tractor, but it's old and not up to serious work, just good for mowing and minor dirt moving. God knows how many hours of labor I put in every year. Lots and lots, but it's good mental therapy and gets me out of the house, plus keeps me in shape.

So it's not a huge expense really, if you have the land. If I had more $$$ I'd have a water truck and my own bobcat for sure. And a mechanic. Smile

Hammer 663s
I would say i spend about the same. I own a 2004 30 HP tractor with several 3 point hitch attachments and a front loader attachment and a 68 JD 350 dozer it's only 40 HP so if i want to move a lot of dirt it takes a bit. The tractor was 16K new the dozer 9K plus a 1K delivery charge. Saved until i could pay cash bought the tractor in 2005 the dozer in 2015
so maintenance on those plus fuel is around 2500.00, 3k a year. I am fortunate to have an engineer friend who fixes the tractors for track time so i save a bunch on labor in that area.
But like you say time it just takes so much time to keep it nice and ditto on the good therapy i love going down and spending time working it plus you get to know the track so much better when you ride
you just flow.
1/23/2018 11:01am
ehr400 wrote:
Do you have a nearby creek or pond? There has been a few different ways we have ran water over the years for watering. Curious where...
Do you have a nearby creek or pond? There has been a few different ways we have ran water over the years for watering. Curious where are you at in Milan?
I live on the opposite corner of Milan from supercoops. I have 2 spring fed ponds totalling about 2-3 acres that are both about 10-15 feet deep. So I just need a way to transport water. The track is a couple hundred yards from the track so running a sprinkler system isn't ideal. Also the track covers a large area proabably about the same foot print as supercoops maybe a little bigger.
1/23/2018 11:45am

motomojo wrote:
Well here in Arizona it's still pretty much the wild west i never even got permits to build my shop and 2 houses. Didn't even give...
Well here in Arizona it's still pretty much the wild west i never even got permits to build my shop and 2 houses. Didn't even give it a thought on building the track.
I'm 40 miles from the nearest town so we don't see too many of those folks up here Officials and Authorities and such. We still carry firearms on our hip everywhere we go as it is still legal here to do so.
Now you go someplace like Phoenix and yeah you got problems Agenda 21 is very much in play down there...it will get here eventually but until then i will continue to enjoy living on the land.

As far as deep pockets sure you will have to buy or rent heavy equipment if you have none and land of course but it's all in the planning of your life. When you (not you personally) went in debt for 30 years on that nice house in the suburbs maybe a rethink was in order and you should have bought some land instead. I have been planning this since high school i knew exactly what i was going to do so i prepared accordingly.
If you just up and decide to buy land to build a track yeah you better have some very deep pockets. Time is the killer if you don't have the time to maintain it your better off paying to ride at a public track.
What I meant by deep pockets, land the size you have would cost an arm and a leg over here in the UK. We don't have a lot of room and any open spaces we do have, houses are being built on them, even green belt land (land that's meant to be protected by the government).

By the look of things, you've worked very hard for what you have and I applaud you for that.

Enjoy your track and stay safe.
1/23/2018 11:55am
Guys, please don't think I was being off with you about being lucky, I really ment that your so lucky to have the weather and room/land to be able to have such awesome tracks!....but as I said bloody good luck to you all!.

Here in the U.K. It's pretty shit tbh, rain and cold, rain and warm in the "summer" as muscle said then you have to try and find some land that is so far away from all the moaners and tree huggers, then it's the cost of the land, even for a private track they would fu*k us at the first hint of a motocross bike sound.

I help out at a local MX track, that's closed at the moment due to noise complaints last year and its flooded due to the shit weather, I am lucky enough to have quite a bit of plant I own and have my diggers and machines there to help out and keep the track as good as I can do, but I would love to have my own track, I really would do, I sit on my Cat 428B and dream of owning it, or something like it, I have the time to put in and the machines too but reality in the U.K. It's not going to happen.

So, when I see awesome tracks like this and the places they have been built, with the backdrop settings and the beautiful weather......man, it's such an eye opener and a move abroad is on the horizon for sure, I have several injuries and plates/screws and awaiting another operation for a separated shoulder (Lockdown operation) so I ache and am generally in pain all the bloody time so a life change was, to be fair, on the cards anyways but this just makes me want to get my ass into gear and go find my own little warm place to ride!.

Good luck to anyone who has a track of their own, all the work and time and commitment has and does pay off, proud of you guys!.
Tumic
1/23/2018 11:56am
If anyone have some pics/film from the building progress Im happy to see that to. Its something special with machinery and fresh dirt Smile
motomojo
1/23/2018 12:03pm
What I meant by deep pockets, land the size you have would cost an arm and a leg over here in the UK. We don't have...
What I meant by deep pockets, land the size you have would cost an arm and a leg over here in the UK. We don't have a lot of room and any open spaces we do have, houses are being built on them, even green belt land (land that's meant to be protected by the government).

By the look of things, you've worked very hard for what you have and I applaud you for that.

Enjoy your track and stay safe.
Thx i enjoy it immensely. The land was not so bad 40 acres for 32K bought it back in 2004 and moved to it permanently in 2008 when i retired.
Totally off grid so i pay no electric, water, or mortgage. Grow a lot of my own food and buy organic grass fed beef from a nearby rancher every so often and
once i get my lake finished and stocked will have fresh fish anytime. Plus there are deer, rabbits, and other critters all over the place.
My only monthly bills are internet and cell phone about 100 bucks a month. I much enjoy a simple life at a much slower pace.
Hammer 663s
1/23/2018 12:10pm
Tumic wrote:
If anyone have some pics/film from the building progress Im happy to see that to. Its something special with machinery and fresh dirt Smile
Here ya go - nothing like fresh dirt!

motomojo
1/23/2018 12:18pm
Tumic wrote:
Don't have any pic's as i was on the tractor all the time but shot a few tractor lap videos as it was coming along don't have any of them uploaded anywhere to provide a link.
I do have a google earth shot of the original layout from 2014 when i got it looped together. Much shorter and very narrow and no pit area. and now.

Tumic
1/23/2018 12:18pm
Here ya go - nothing like fresh dirt! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239715/s1200_Dozer.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239716/s1200_Fresh.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239717/s1200_Sand.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239718/s1200_Whoops.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239719/s1200_Triple.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239720/s1200_aaaahhhhh.jpg[/img]
Here ya go - nothing like fresh dirt!

Thats so Awsome!
1/23/2018 12:24pm
Tumic wrote:
It has never looked as perfect as the day I finished it.

Spat24
Fantasy
856th
1/23/2018 1:37pm
2 different tracks: my current one and the one I used to have in CA. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239470/s1200_IMG_2016.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239471/s1200_IMG_2019.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239472/s1200_track1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239473/s1200_track4.jpg[/img]
2 different tracks: my current one and the one I used to have in CA.

Looks awesome. When is the spring riding party!!
Hammer 663s
1/23/2018 1:48pm
Spat24 wrote:
Looks awesome. When is the spring riding party!!
Ha - you tell me! Last year Spring didn't happen until June, and then it went right to 100 degrees. Track was good for 3 days and then was concrete. I sure hope we get a better start this year!

Hammer 663s
jpfiester82
Fantasy
30th
1/23/2018 2:03pm

Needed a lot of clean up in the one picture. Took a break for 5 years and just getting going again.
downard254
1/23/2018 2:30pm
This the only shot I have of mine now. I never have time to ride, let alone keep the track up. I have cut back on its length, and there is a hollow that runs right up the middle of it. 100% natural terrain.

mooch
Fantasy
501st
1/23/2018 4:48pm
This is about a third of the track, with the other portion being over the top of the hill.

CM46
1/23/2018 5:02pm
mooch wrote:
This is about a third of the track, with the other portion being over the top of the hill. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/23/239798/s1200_backyard_track_nice_lighting.jpg[/img]
This is about a third of the track, with the other portion being over the top of the hill.

How many acres ?
ehr400
1/24/2018 3:11am
ehr400 wrote:
Do you have a nearby creek or pond? There has been a few different ways we have ran water over the years for watering. Curious where...
I live on the opposite corner of Milan from supercoops. I have 2 spring fed ponds totalling about 2-3 acres that are both about 10-15 feet...
I live on the opposite corner of Milan from supercoops. I have 2 spring fed ponds totalling about 2-3 acres that are both about 10-15 feet deep. So I just need a way to transport water. The track is a couple hundred yards from the track so running a sprinkler system isn't ideal. Also the track covers a large area proabably about the same foot print as supercoops maybe a little bigger.
So you are in Lenawee or Wash. County I assume?

What we have done before with water systems is pump it to some holding tanks closer to the track, then you could run a sprinkler system from there. Honestly sprinkler systems are the most efficient way to do it. Even with a good water truck the amount of trips vs how much you are putting down isn't very efficient.

Pm me, I think you would enjoy our track also. Its real deep sand, zero clay base, gets deep. Usually are riding in about a month or less.
ehr400
1/24/2018 3:38am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 3:39am
Some rough pics of us redo'ing it during the early fall. Before we did any of the finsih work on it. Some of the deepest sand I have ever ridden in Michigan for sure. Only we ride it is after it rains or in spring/ fall winter time. Zero clay base so the track sits on about 60' of pure sand below it.

Spydee
1/24/2018 3:47am

I was thinking the same - notice how no one from the UK have posted theirs Grinning

There's a cute little track in Monmouthsire I go to and regularly have the place to myself which consists of a little track, some woodland and a lot of fields, but sadly it's not something I own personally!
Tumic
1/24/2018 4:08am
Spydee wrote:
I was thinking the same - notice how no one from the UK have posted theirs :lol: There's a cute little track in Monmouthsire I go...
I was thinking the same - notice how no one from the UK have posted theirs Grinning

There's a cute little track in Monmouthsire I go to and regularly have the place to myself which consists of a little track, some woodland and a lot of fields, but sadly it's not something I own personally!
its pretty much the same in all the Scandinavian countrys.
nd54
1/24/2018 4:20am

Back yard mx. Not as nice as most of the private tracks posted but hey, it is still a place to ride. Lap time is a little over minute. I feel lucky to have my own track, even though it is small.
TJMX947
1/24/2018 5:46am
kb-450 wrote:
Mine in SC. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239504/s1200_IMG_0420.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239505/s1200_IMG_0450.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239506/s1200_IMG_0453.jpg[/img]
Mine in SC.

Holy Hell man...Can we be like real life friends???
TJMX947
1/24/2018 5:50am
motomojo wrote:
Thx i enjoy it immensely. The land was not so bad 40 acres for 32K bought it back in 2004 and moved to it permanently in...
Thx i enjoy it immensely. The land was not so bad 40 acres for 32K bought it back in 2004 and moved to it permanently in 2008 when i retired.
Totally off grid so i pay no electric, water, or mortgage. Grow a lot of my own food and buy organic grass fed beef from a nearby rancher every so often and
once i get my lake finished and stocked will have fresh fish anytime. Plus there are deer, rabbits, and other critters all over the place.
My only monthly bills are internet and cell phone about 100 bucks a month. I much enjoy a simple life at a much slower pace.
Gosh this sounds like the life for me. I love those off grid houses. I'd love to see your house and how its set up, I know its super personal but I get so into those HGTV tiny house and tree house builds.
kb-450
1/24/2018 7:34am
kb-450 wrote:
Mine in SC. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239504/s1200_IMG_0420.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239505/s1200_IMG_0450.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/22/239506/s1200_IMG_0453.jpg[/img]
Mine in SC.

TJMX947 wrote:
Holy Hell man...Can we be like real life friends???
Of course TJ. Have to let me know when you're down this way. Problem with my track is since I ride ruts almost exclusively, I really suck on hard pack flat turns.

Post a reply to: Show us your private tracks

The Latest