Show me your local track that’s too gnarly for you.

Bry145
3/15/2018 10:51am
TJMX947 wrote:
The Practice Track at Club MX is my main spot. Its tight, rutted, and gets a bit technical but the jumps aren't do or die, although...
The Practice Track at Club MX is my main spot. Its tight, rutted, and gets a bit technical but the jumps aren't do or die, although if you come up short when you commit you can still crash. The ruts and switchbacks keep your skill and speed in check. You have to be a proficient rider to have the speed to do the bigger jumps based on the obstacles before and after them.

A friend of mine mentioned the Sand Track at Club MX. Its a mans tracks but you can ride it all day and get better at riding your motorcycle. I have family that came down to ride and due to the rain the practice track was closed so they let us ride the sand track. These guys are hardcore GNCC racers, they put a beating on my ego with how adaptable they were to the deep sand as well as their fitness. I could only make it 3 laps around that track chasing them then I would pull off and they kept riding the same pace. I grew up in Eastern North Carolina so sand is my favorite surface, my favorite track ever is Montrose MX which had one 10ft ditch double made by braking bumps and a few ski jumps. They always had a great turn out.

Someone else mentioned the two stroke vs four stroke relative to skill level. I know that when I rode a YZ250 two stroke a few years ago as my only bike it had a tremendous effect on my confidence with jumping bigger jumps. In all honesty it probably kept me from doing a lot of stuff that I might otherwise give a try on the 450 I bought to replace it.
I didn't ride all winter, loaded up at 2AM, drove to Club MX, and hit the sand track as the Practice Facility was closed due to rain. That is not a place to get back into the flow of riding! I had fun, but that track beat the crap out of me.

But I think a track like that is very safe, as the jumps are not possible for all but the fastest riders. Also, one is taking such a beating that bravery is scaled back a notch and one is just trying to get around the track. I tried to channel my inner John Dowd, drop my elbows, and lean back. At least I tried!

Loretta's gets so rough that it's more about survival and endurance and not just jumping ability.

If we can bring down the speeds and get rid of Supercross-style obstacles, the sport will be much better.

That said, I enjoy mellow SX-style whoops right out of a corner. Let's keep those!

3/15/2018 10:53am
Bruneval wrote:
My two cents as an outsider who has ridden Pala (both tracks), Glen Helen, Milestone, Comp Edge, Lake Elsinore and more recently, Englishtown's race track. I...
My two cents as an outsider who has ridden Pala (both tracks), Glen Helen, Milestone, Comp Edge, Lake Elsinore and more recently, Englishtown's race track.

I hadn't ridden for 3 years, and in October I went to Englishtown on a small bore 2 stroke and hated it. The track didn't flow well and IMO has been built for the Instagram generation who want to do 'sick whips and huck things, bro'. I have ridden and raced a fair bit in Europe, so I am no beginner, but I was very rusty and therefore got to experience things from a beginners perspective.

My first ride on the main track in NJ had me questioning a) why I had bought a KTM 150 when the track was clearly designed for a 450 to seat bounce straight out of corners and b) whether it is feasible to go through so much effort to ride when I didn't enjoy it or feel it is safe. I work on Wall St. I cannot show up to work mangled and be put in front of clients that way. I did go back to Englishtown a month later and on the second visit cleared everything, but still my opinion remains that the track isn't that enjoyable or lends itself to a fun, safe day out.

I will stick with it, and try other tracks this year, but if I don't find something I am comfortable riding, I will only ride when I am back at home, and will therefore not spend any money here in the US. I prefer a different experience as I am used to faster, more natural terrain where the challenge is the corners, braking bumps and in keeping the power on up large, bumpy hills. It is altogether safer too.

To throw gas on the fire, track design is probably a large part of why Jeffrey Herlings turned up at Ironman last year and made a mockery of the AMA nationals last year.
Englishtown is definitely not made for a 450...staircase is the only jump you may have a hard time clearing on a a 125
yz133rider wrote:
Also you claiming its safe and not intimidating is your opinion. My opinion that its overly jumpy and scares away many more riders is backed by...
Also you claiming its safe and not intimidating is your opinion. My opinion that its overly jumpy and scares away many more riders is backed by countless friends and people ive met who wont go to those tracks any more.

I offered suggestions to two sections that would help make it more balanced you disagree Thats fine but thats not going to get more riders back into moto
Idk when I go to etown practice days it’s completely packed. You have A, B, and C all separate. C has the most people by far and half the guys in B practice are sketchy C guys so more then half the people there are C guys. Don’t think it’s scaring many guys away
yz133rider
3/15/2018 11:00am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2018 11:01am
TJMX947 wrote:
The Practice Track at Club MX is my main spot. Its tight, rutted, and gets a bit technical but the jumps aren't do or die, although...
The Practice Track at Club MX is my main spot. Its tight, rutted, and gets a bit technical but the jumps aren't do or die, although if you come up short when you commit you can still crash. The ruts and switchbacks keep your skill and speed in check. You have to be a proficient rider to have the speed to do the bigger jumps based on the obstacles before and after them.

A friend of mine mentioned the Sand Track at Club MX. Its a mans tracks but you can ride it all day and get better at riding your motorcycle. I have family that came down to ride and due to the rain the practice track was closed so they let us ride the sand track. These guys are hardcore GNCC racers, they put a beating on my ego with how adaptable they were to the deep sand as well as their fitness. I could only make it 3 laps around that track chasing them then I would pull off and they kept riding the same pace. I grew up in Eastern North Carolina so sand is my favorite surface, my favorite track ever is Montrose MX which had one 10ft ditch double made by braking bumps and a few ski jumps. They always had a great turn out.

Someone else mentioned the two stroke vs four stroke relative to skill level. I know that when I rode a YZ250 two stroke a few years ago as my only bike it had a tremendous effect on my confidence with jumping bigger jumps. In all honesty it probably kept me from doing a lot of stuff that I might otherwise give a try on the 450 I bought to replace it.
Bry145 wrote:
I didn't ride all winter, loaded up at 2AM, drove to Club MX, and hit the sand track as the Practice Facility was closed due to...
I didn't ride all winter, loaded up at 2AM, drove to Club MX, and hit the sand track as the Practice Facility was closed due to rain. That is not a place to get back into the flow of riding! I had fun, but that track beat the crap out of me.

But I think a track like that is very safe, as the jumps are not possible for all but the fastest riders. Also, one is taking such a beating that bravery is scaled back a notch and one is just trying to get around the track. I tried to channel my inner John Dowd, drop my elbows, and lean back. At least I tried!

Loretta's gets so rough that it's more about survival and endurance and not just jumping ability.

If we can bring down the speeds and get rid of Supercross-style obstacles, the sport will be much better.

That said, I enjoy mellow SX-style whoops right out of a corner. Let's keep those!

I agree with this sentiment

All the guys claiming a track with less jumps is for pussies or is too easy go ride club mx sand track or their practice track When its rough. Or southwick etc. Moto isnt all about jumps. Get the tracks more balanced.
Frodad78
3/15/2018 11:22am
Taylor415 wrote:
The new layout is awesome!
I agree, went for the first time a few weeks ago and we had a blast! Very doable obstacles, nothing is do or die.

The Shop

3/15/2018 11:34am
Bruneval wrote:
My two cents as an outsider who has ridden Pala (both tracks), Glen Helen, Milestone, Comp Edge, Lake Elsinore and more recently, Englishtown's race track. I...
My two cents as an outsider who has ridden Pala (both tracks), Glen Helen, Milestone, Comp Edge, Lake Elsinore and more recently, Englishtown's race track.

I hadn't ridden for 3 years, and in October I went to Englishtown on a small bore 2 stroke and hated it. The track didn't flow well and IMO has been built for the Instagram generation who want to do 'sick whips and huck things, bro'. I have ridden and raced a fair bit in Europe, so I am no beginner, but I was very rusty and therefore got to experience things from a beginners perspective.

My first ride on the main track in NJ had me questioning a) why I had bought a KTM 150 when the track was clearly designed for a 450 to seat bounce straight out of corners and b) whether it is feasible to go through so much effort to ride when I didn't enjoy it or feel it is safe. I work on Wall St. I cannot show up to work mangled and be put in front of clients that way. I did go back to Englishtown a month later and on the second visit cleared everything, but still my opinion remains that the track isn't that enjoyable or lends itself to a fun, safe day out.

I will stick with it, and try other tracks this year, but if I don't find something I am comfortable riding, I will only ride when I am back at home, and will therefore not spend any money here in the US. I prefer a different experience as I am used to faster, more natural terrain where the challenge is the corners, braking bumps and in keeping the power on up large, bumpy hills. It is altogether safer too.

To throw gas on the fire, track design is probably a large part of why Jeffrey Herlings turned up at Ironman last year and made a mockery of the AMA nationals last year.
As evidence of this thread, the vocal majority here seem to agree with everything you wrote.

I wonder if we will ever see a trend of more natural tracks.
PRM31
3/15/2018 11:57am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2018 11:57am
Love the pics of the old-school hardpack, never tilled tracks!

I despise deep tilled tracks. Sand is fun though.
3/15/2018 2:45pm
General consensus is that tracks aren’t too gnarly then.

Maybe. Just maybe it could be that MOTOCROSS IS A DANGEROUS SPORT.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/15/2018 3:59pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I’m cool with this jump, but there is usually a C Rider yard sale off it every weekend. What makes it dangerous is: 1) It’s a...
I’m cool with this jump, but there is usually a C Rider yard sale off it every weekend. What makes it dangerous is:

1) It’s a blind uphill triple
2) The face is NEVER the same week to week (or even day to day)
3) the landing seems to be getting more peeked yearly.

Again, I really enjoy this track and this jump. I have never crashed off it, and hope it doesn’t get removed.... but I have taco’d a front wheel from flat landing it on a Sunday morning after it was “rebuilt” Saturday night after my motos. I’m fine with big jumps, they just need to be consistent.

iBobbyb wrote:
i always thought the 140 was scarier. lol most vet guys these days have nothing good to say about the place tho, and most wont even...
i always thought the 140 was scarier. lol most vet guys these days have nothing good to say about the place tho, and most wont even go..
Meh.... the 140 was a no brainer. 3rd gear pinned on a 450 and it was a small face.

It also wasn’t considered by sketchy C guys. Every Bro in C class try’s to huck that uphill in traffic and obliterates someone.....

Again, not bashing the track. I don’t find it dangerous, but it is dangerous for 50%+ of the dudes there on a practice day.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/15/2018 4:07pm
The big "quad" at Pala nearly killed me since, on any given weekend, only a fraction of guys attempt the entire thing while spodes like me...
The big "quad" at Pala nearly killed me since, on any given weekend, only a fraction of guys attempt the entire thing while spodes like me can only double it. A guy landed on me and I ended up with a proximal humorous fracture. Better that than a broken neck I suppose.You can see just how dangerous this jump is right about the 0:25 second mark.

This is the jump I'm speaking of:
I've been waiting to hear about someone getting landed on because of this jump..... I knew it was only a matter of time. If I was a track owner and saw 1 person do that, that's it and it would be changed immediately.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/15/2018 4:18pm
ruy wrote:
I think that if there is, there was because it is not open anymore, a circuit that intimidated was that of Saddleback Park. With a mitic...
I think that if there is, there was because it is not open anymore, a circuit that intimidated was that of Saddleback Park.
With a mitic zones, Banzai Hill, Suicide Mountain, Magoo Duble

I didn't feel Saddleback was that intimidating, until they introduced the wedge in 83. Jumping the wedge was like taking your life into your hands, it was gnarly.
kawiX522
3/15/2018 5:23pm
mx621 wrote:
one major issue at FOD is the people who run it.. its like the wild west. they do not police classes at all. there will be...
one major issue at FOD is the people who run it.. its like the wild west. they do not police classes at all. there will be true beginners in A/B practice who can barely ride over the jumps, and no one from the track will pay attention or pull them off.. there will also be the hero guy in C practice, who throws whips and sandbagging. ive gone to them several times about this and it never gets better.

ive ridden the vet track many times and that is a pretty fun track all the jumps are safe, nothing technical.. having two tracks why should the better C and A/B riders have to give up a challenging/fun track to accommodate the beginners when there is a beginner track?
I havent ridden FOD yet so not sure how bad the problem is over there, however I 110% agree with you, it drives me insaneee. Its usually somewhat okay at my local tracks (E town, Gotham mx, Walden) but i think the problem is, owning a MX track is a somewhat a tough business. Its not always all year round and The overall popularity of the sport is clearly declining especially with the younger generations (Most Obsessed with there phones or xbox). Im sure the Owners notice this problem, but are afraid to do anything about it that could upset there business/ discourage kids from riding. Im not saying you are wrong at all, just putting in my $0.02.
shea357
3/15/2018 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2018 6:09pm
I ride Socal every single weekend for 5yrs.....and race close to 3 weekends a month...whether its Pala main, Milestone mx..Perris mx or Cal city doesnt matter to me.....ive grown up racing since i was 8yrs old...im 41yrs old now and im just now scratching at the Aclass....i grew up in florida raced every big AmA race their was.....done Lorettas, Ponca....and have ran up front in the 30+ and 40+ A/B who are still between regular A & B 450 class laptimes....rough...big jumps....technical sections......DOESNT MATTER IF YOU CAN RIDE...IF YOU CAN RIDE!.......if you were never a true to form racer, a guy who kicked the can down the road and never did nationals or big races.....then you shouldn't even have a say in what racers ride or how a track builder designs his track.....(a Beginner strives to be a Novice.....a Novice is putting in the work to break into Intermediates......and a Intermediates are going for broke to become Aclass/Pro class and on to the big show) .........if you cant get your head around that....just quit riding man......this sport is for warriors and men who want to put up or shut up & race.....racing is what its about and challenging the limits.......seems like 2 many so called men have gone soft.......im 41yrs old and i know racing.......i can back it up, ive won alot of races and put in the work!.....ive put in the blood &sweat & broken bones.......dont beleieve me you can check my IG Mxryder357......quit being pussies and start owning up to being a MXer
yz133rider
3/15/2018 6:05pm
shea357 wrote:
I ride Socal every single weekend for 5yrs.....and race close to 3 weekends a month...whether its Pala main, Milestone mx..Perris mx or Cal city doesnt matter...
I ride Socal every single weekend for 5yrs.....and race close to 3 weekends a month...whether its Pala main, Milestone mx..Perris mx or Cal city doesnt matter to me.....ive grown up racing since i was 8yrs old...im 41yrs old now and im just now scratching at the Aclass....i grew up in florida raced every big AmA race their was.....done Lorettas, Ponca....and have ran up front in the 30+ and 40+ A/B who are still between regular A & B 450 class laptimes....rough...big jumps....technical sections......DOESNT MATTER IF YOU CAN RIDE...IF YOU CAN RIDE!.......if you were never a true to form racer, a guy who kicked the can down the road and never did nationals or big races.....then you shouldn't even have a say in what racers ride or how a track builder designs his track.....(a Beginner strives to be a Novice.....a Novice is putting in the work to break into Intermediates......and a Intermediates are going for broke to become Aclass/Pro class and on to the big show) .........if you cant get your head around that....just quit riding man......this sport is for warriors and men who want to put up or shut up & race.....racing is what its about and challenging the limits.......seems like 2 many so called men have gone soft.......im 41yrs old and i know racing.......i can back it up, ive won alot of races and put in the work!.....ive put in the blood &sweat & broken bones.......dont beleieve me you can check my IG Mxryder357......quit being pussies and start owning up to being a MXer
Lollllllll no words for this.
Titan1
3/15/2018 6:53pm
shea357 wrote:
I ride Socal every single weekend for 5yrs.....and race close to 3 weekends a month...whether its Pala main, Milestone mx..Perris mx or Cal city doesnt matter...
I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not?

Seriously though...you’re joking right?
rbspecial138
Fantasy
955th
3/15/2018 7:13pm
As someone who works at a motocross facility as an operator, I've heard it all, I once had a guy complain to me that the landings were too steep and that when he cased the jump, 'It really hurt'... sounds to me like he needed to clear the jump and work on his technique. Basically it seems to me like the only way to make people happy is to have multiple tracks (vet/Main) and keep them fully prepped at all times... The biggest problem that I see is that its really hard in my area to find people who are willing to work very odd hours to prep tracks, on a extremely odd schedule (Depending on when the tracks are open). Almost 100% of the time we are understaffed, and simply do not have time to make all the changes that people ask of us. we try to keep everyone happy, but it is not always possible. My best advice would be to not talk to the track owners about change, but try and become friends with any of the operators, that is the best way to get your local track fixed or changed!
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/15/2018 7:26pm
MxKing809 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/15/249539/s1200_7C369DE7_2D4C_495C_BB99_41227AAF6AD6.jpg[/img]

Laughing
reded
3/15/2018 8:03pm
shea357 wrote:
Barney Badass has spoken, if you're not destined for A class......best stay your ass at home.

Post a reply to: Show me your local track that’s too gnarly for you.

The Latest