Show & Tell: Toolbox Setup

T-MAC
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2016 4:34pm
After a solid ten years I decided to upgrade my tools and chest. I had a 3 drawer craftsman that I made work for a long time but the crescent tool set that lived in it was getting pretty tired. I wanted something just slightly bigger since I'm not settled down anywhere quite yet so moving big heavy tool chests isn't appealing to me haha. I like how a lot of pro mechanics seem to be able to work out of a 3 or 4 drawer box (granted I work on my/my fiance's other vehicles out of it was well). I'm curious to see other's setups - vital tools, organizational methods, box sizes, etc.

The chest cost me $70 and the tool set on sale for $150. I also designed and 3D printed some wrench holders, T handle holder, and plan on making some more small organizational stuff. I feel like it's almost a useless amount of sockets now haha.

Test fitting the new wrenches into the freshly printed tray to ensure sizing was OK. I printed these in ABS plastic.

Ready for duty.

Sockets, ratchets, T-handle Allen keys and misc attachments comprise the top of the box. Not shown is the additional T-handle set that hangs off the side from a printed wrench holder w/ magnetic attachment. The T-Handle's are probably one of my favorite tools that I can't live without after having them. Another piece I love are the two adjustable length ratchets from harbor freight. Extend for breaking loose, retract for short throw quick turning. I've had them a couple of years now and they've held up to some serious abuse. I also like how the 1/4" and 3/8" are a single, combo unit vs 3 separate ratchets.

The first drawer holds the box wrenches. You can see the 3D printed wrench trays here. The large wrench holder on the left took about 2 hours to print. I also keep spark plug wrench and feeler gauges here.

Various pliers, cutters, adjustable wrenches, vise grips, etc. all stay here in the second drawer.

Screw drivers, files, wire brushes, misc nuts and bolts stay in the third drawer.

The bottom drawer houses specialty tools and some general stuff. Torque wrenches, soft blow and hammer, tire levers, clutch holder, impact driver and other stuff live here.

Is there anything else you'd add to the above?

Let's see where everyone else reaches to keep the bikes (hopefully) running.

|
philG
1/4/2016 2:03pm
Why so many sockets ?

I have 2 rails, one single hex 8 thro 21 mm, and a rail double hex 10 12 13 14 17 deepwall.

T-MAC
1/4/2016 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 2:13pm
philG wrote:
Why so many sockets ? I have 2 rails, one single hex 8 thro 21 mm, and a rail double hex 10 12 13 14 17...
Why so many sockets ?

I have 2 rails, one single hex 8 thro 21 mm, and a rail double hex 10 12 13 14 17 deepwall.

Phil,

That is a great question (That I'm now wondering myself). I was lured in by the variety, but in actuality how many I'll actually use is another thing. I went from a very small assortment of sockets to an over abundance. Ironically, I like a somewhat minimalist setup so time will tell what sockets stay at the ready and what gets stored away. I also very rarely use SAE anything anymore.
philG
1/4/2016 2:25pm
its a nice kit, especially with the printed holders... but there comes a point when you are hauling stuff round for it never to see the light of day.

when we were pulling a small trailer with 2 bikes in it , i went minimalist , had a small plastic box, with a lift out lid, and only carried stuff that fitted the bike, so no 16 or 18mm sockets or spanners, two sets of spinners, 8,10 &12 , and 3 allen keys , and 3 T Bars.

If it wasnt needed i didnt take it , in the race box, just had a another small box with everything thrown in , in case we needed it to work on the camper on the way back.

Be brutal, you only need 4 pairs of pliers, lockwire, side cutters, long nose, and a regular set. And a hose clip set if your bike has them.
T-MAC
1/4/2016 2:36pm
Great insight. The box pictured above will actually be stationary (in the garage). Like you, I have compiled a small light duty box for only truly essentials at the track.I hear what you mean about pliers - I currently have several duplicates and I could trim down there as well.

Thanks,
Tim

The Shop

1/4/2016 2:39pm
philG wrote:
Why so many sockets ? I have 2 rails, one single hex 8 thro 21 mm, and a rail double hex 10 12 13 14 17...
Why so many sockets ?

and why so many screw drivers and pliers? Getting rid of the double ups and imperials will give you more room in there.
Grab a pair of these too. Knippex pliers are one of the best if not the best out there.
Micahdogg
1/4/2016 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 2:47pm
You can't have too many sockets. Its nice to have a 10mm 1/4 ratchet, 10mm 3/8ths and both again in deep wells mounted to ratchets. That way when you lay one down you don't have to go looking for it! I keep all the hand tools in the black box, the auto tools in the red, and the moto tools in the stainless.

And you gotta have ratchets. 36T bulldozers for smacking around, 48T go-to ratchets good for getting stolen, 60T feel good ratchets and the baller 72T stuff when you want to class it up!

P.S. Do yourself a favor and ditch that crappy Craftsman torque wrench. The only thing you'll need it for is under 30ft-lbs, just where its the least useful. Get something nice.

1/4/2016 2:54pm
Wow! If those boxes are all full, your definitely winning. I've dropped around an estimated $7k on tools and boxes over the years and I'm less than half what you got
T-MAC
1/4/2016 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 2:58pm
Micahdogg, you have a great setup - there's something about walls lined with toolboxes haha!

I have a craftsmen wrench I use for bigger stuff (That I have checked against a known accurate wrench) and I just got the small Husky wrench for smaller engine stuff. Some nice torque wrenches are definitely in my future at some point - and it seems like a lot of people recommend digital. Are both of your's dial type?
newmann
1/4/2016 3:09pm
Tool thread! As much as I have come to hate Sears they had a bargain on my favorite tools again. 32 piece Gear Wrench set for $79.00 or $89.00 at Christmas. Will have to check receipt. Youngest son wanted some metric wrenches and I needed a set of standards at work for the occasional oddball I get to work on. Been using these things since they first came out. Abused a few along the way and while I may have bent the shit out of a 10mm with a cheater pipe it did not mess up the ratcheting mechanism.Laughing

Everyone needs a set of these.

Markopolo400
1/4/2016 3:39pm
T-MAC, any chance you would send me the STL file for the wrench holder? I would love to print one out for myself too lol.
diz330
1/4/2016 3:45pm
First thing so many mechanics tell me is how much their tools are worth. Sorry but I don't care, I don't tell you how much my education cost. (not to say I'm better than anyone, or a mechanic, just pointing out the irony)
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2016 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 4:47pm
diz330 wrote:
First thing so many mechanics tell me is how much their tools are worth. Sorry but I don't care, I don't tell you how much my...
First thing so many mechanics tell me is how much their tools are worth. Sorry but I don't care, I don't tell you how much my education cost. (not to say I'm better than anyone, or a mechanic, just pointing out the irony)
I cant tell you how much my tools and shop equipment cost because it was acquired over 40 years, but I could tell you what its insured for .I can also tell what my education cost but would be embarrassed to let anyone know. Pinch
T-MAC
1/4/2016 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 3:54pm
T-MAC, any chance you would send me the STL file for the wrench holder? I would love to print one out for myself too lol.
I can send you an STL file. I actually measured the width of each of my wrenches to get my slot widths, so yours might be different. I can send you a SLDPRT file if you want to edit it, or just send the STL of the existing ones (I have an 11x and 14x holder made).

lostboy819 - I'm assuming you wrench professionally given your shop setup?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2016 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 3:55pm
T-MAC wrote:
After a solid ten years I decided to upgrade my tools and chest. I had a 3 drawer craftsman that I made work for a long...
After a solid ten years I decided to upgrade my tools and chest. I had a 3 drawer craftsman that I made work for a long time but the crescent tool set that lived in it was getting pretty tired. I wanted something just slightly bigger since I'm not settled down anywhere quite yet so moving big heavy tool chests isn't appealing to me haha. I like how a lot of pro mechanics seem to be able to work out of a 3 or 4 drawer box (granted I work on my/my fiance's other vehicles out of it was well). I'm curious to see other's setups - vital tools, organizational methods, box sizes, etc.

The chest cost me $70 and the tool set on sale for $150. I also designed and 3D printed some wrench holders, T handle holder, and plan on making some more small organizational stuff. I feel like it's almost a useless amount of sockets now haha.

Test fitting the new wrenches into the freshly printed tray to ensure sizing was OK. I printed these in ABS plastic.

Ready for duty.

Sockets, ratchets, T-handle Allen keys and misc attachments comprise the top of the box. Not shown is the additional T-handle set that hangs off the side from a printed wrench holder w/ magnetic attachment. The T-Handle's are probably one of my favorite tools that I can't live without after having them. Another piece I love are the two adjustable length ratchets from harbor freight. Extend for breaking loose, retract for short throw quick turning. I've had them a couple of years now and they've held up to some serious abuse. I also like how the 1/4" and 3/8" are a single, combo unit vs 3 separate ratchets.

The first drawer holds the box wrenches. You can see the 3D printed wrench trays here. The large wrench holder on the left took about 2 hours to print. I also keep spark plug wrench and feeler gauges here.

Various pliers, cutters, adjustable wrenches, vise grips, etc. all stay here in the second drawer.

Screw drivers, files, wire brushes, misc nuts and bolts stay in the third drawer.

The bottom drawer houses specialty tools and some general stuff. Torque wrenches, soft blow and hammer, tire levers, clutch holder, impact driver and other stuff live here.

Is there anything else you'd add to the above?

Let's see where everyone else reaches to keep the bikes (hopefully) running.

I really like the custom printed wrench holders,it is hard to find them that fit all the different wrenches I have so a custom set up looks like the way to go.I bet you could make some money printing them up for people in custom sizes.
T-MAC
1/4/2016 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 4:03pm
Yeah that would be a pretty fun side gig. I looked at available holders and most are generally nice, but sometimes bulky and I also hate mismatching with empty slots if the number of wrenches doesn't match the available slots on the holder. If you have any interest in having some made let me know! I see you have a few loose wrench sets in your drawer, we could fix that haha. The round discs in the corner of the one pictured in my first post have been modified so they don't interrupt the outside profile of the holder. There's small pads on the inside edges of the holder instead (This gives some strength to the holder and also helps combat curling when printing with ABS).

-Tim
Micahdogg
1/4/2016 4:29pm
T-MAC wrote:
Micahdogg, you have a great setup - there's something about walls lined with toolboxes haha! I have a craftsmen wrench I use for bigger stuff (That...
Micahdogg, you have a great setup - there's something about walls lined with toolboxes haha!

I have a craftsmen wrench I use for bigger stuff (That I have checked against a known accurate wrench) and I just got the small Husky wrench for smaller engine stuff. Some nice torque wrenches are definitely in my future at some point - and it seems like a lot of people recommend digital. Are both of your's dial type?
Thanks. Precision instruments dial, and two twin beams for bigger stuff. $450 for all three and you can get them serviced. You will not regret them. Twin beams you dont have to unwind.

It just takes time to amass a good arsenal. Some stuff is cheap some is really good. I lean toward quality stuff so i can pass them along to my kids and not have a bunch of broken chinese junk for them to scrap Smile
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2016 4:52pm
T-MAC wrote:
I can send you an STL file. I actually measured the width of each of my wrenches to get my slot widths, so yours might be...
I can send you an STL file. I actually measured the width of each of my wrenches to get my slot widths, so yours might be different. I can send you a SLDPRT file if you want to edit it, or just send the STL of the existing ones (I have an 11x and 14x holder made).

lostboy819 - I'm assuming you wrench professionally given your shop setup?
I wrenched years and years ago but just work on my own stuff now but its much easier when you have the right equipment. Wink
1/4/2016 5:07pm
diz330 wrote:
First thing so many mechanics tell me is how much their tools are worth. Sorry but I don't care, I don't tell you how much my...
That's because they can't borrow your education. So put the tools down and .........
1/4/2016 5:15pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Thanks. Precision instruments dial, and two twin beams for bigger stuff. $450 for all three and you can get them serviced. You will not regret them...
Thanks. Precision instruments dial, and two twin beams for bigger stuff. $450 for all three and you can get them serviced. You will not regret them. Twin beams you dont have to unwind.

It just takes time to amass a good arsenal. Some stuff is cheap some is really good. I lean toward quality stuff so i can pass them along to my kids and not have a bunch of broken chinese junk for them to scrap Smile
Just priced out a 1/4" in/lb clicker torque wrench from snap-on and Mac and they were both in the 400$ ball park. Bout shit. Now I got our paint rep digging around trying to find s good deal on one. The torque T-handle has grabbed my interest. Anyone use one?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2016 5:30pm
Just priced out a 1/4" in/lb clicker torque wrench from snap-on and Mac and they were both in the 400$ ball park. Bout shit. Now I...
Just priced out a 1/4" in/lb clicker torque wrench from snap-on and Mac and they were both in the 400$ ball park. Bout shit. Now I got our paint rep digging around trying to find s good deal on one. The torque T-handle has grabbed my interest. Anyone use one?
The thing you have to be careful with on the torque T handles is resisting the urge to un-tighten bolts with them.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2016 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2016 5:46pm
diz330 wrote:
Not knowing what your education cost, I do not think you used the word "irony" in the proper context. Most mechanics do have an education for their job, but I have never heard them say how much that cost them. Most professions need both education and some sort of tools for the trade. But I have never heard a truckers who paid for their CDL tell how much that cost but will they will talk about how much they paid for their Truck. Now on the other hand I have talked to lots of Mechanics/Hacks who who tell everyone how much their education from MMI cost and they all got ripped off.Blush

Irony is a figure of speech in which words are used in such a way that their intended meaning is different from the actual meaning of the words. It may also be a situation that may end up in quite a different way than what is generally anticipated.
Micahdogg
1/4/2016 7:49pm
Just priced out a 1/4" in/lb clicker torque wrench from snap-on and Mac and they were both in the 400$ ball park. Bout shit. Now I...
That PI dial is 0-25 ft-lb and I got it for $175 shipped. Its built to order and great quality, accuracy, American made, serviceable, etc... I would recommend any of their stuff.

http://www.protorquetools.com/prod-18-1-1373-455/precision-inst-dial-to…
1/4/2016 9:09pm
Micahdogg wrote:
That PI dial is 0-25 ft-lb and I got it for $175 shipped. Its built to order and great quality, accuracy, American made, serviceable, etc... I...
That PI dial is 0-25 ft-lb and I got it for $175 shipped. Its built to order and great quality, accuracy, American made, serviceable, etc... I would recommend any of their stuff.

Just checked out the link. Good deal and they look nice. Thanks for the heads up micahdogg
c_dub
1/4/2016 10:16pm
You could go with a CDI. CDI makes the Snap-On torque wrenches. They only difference between the two that I've gathered (granted, this is coming from Amazon reviews lol) is the ratcheting head.

http://www.amazon.com/CDI-1501MRMH-4-Inch-150-Pound-Capacity/dp/B000KL4…
takitimu
1/5/2016 2:17am
Micahdogg wrote:
That PI dial is 0-25 ft-lb and I got it for $175 shipped. Its built to order and great quality, accuracy, American made, serviceable, etc... I...

Just checked out the link. Good deal and they look nice. Thanks for the heads up micahdogg
Nice kit, just what I have been looking for - thanks for the heads up.
jock
Fantasy
1st
1/5/2016 2:59am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2016 3:00am
This is all you need.

Post a reply to: Show & Tell: Toolbox Setup

The Latest