Show Up Money?

Gym Briggs
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 11:58am
How much do these guys get for just showing up to a race like Bercy or Genoa? I mean there are a lot of races out of the country that pay americans or top pros to come there. How does it break down? I am sure there are many factors. Maybe Paul Lindsey, DV , Hamblin , or even Matthes could give us an idea. Steve said Weimer got enough money to go there to buy a small house.
|
Cygnus
10/28/2011 3:30pm
A small house in California or a small house in Nebraska?
peelout
10/28/2011 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2011 3:33pm
kind of crazy looking at the List on RacerX about the most successful guys to race the Bercy...

RJ
Bailey
MC
Emig
Vuillmue
etc...

and the top names for the past couple years are Barcia and Tomac?

wtf happened to the biggest names showing up? (no disrespect to JB and ET, but where's RV, RD, JS, CR, etc.)

MC made a point to go to that race, even though he only won two times, he was there A LOT
10/28/2011 3:42pm
Peelout,

McGrath also wasn't making nearly as much money as the top guys do now. In his book he said he was making something like 6K a win from Honda in 93. MC went there to make $$$ and prove he was the best.

RV doesn't need the money and already has proved he's #1 right now.

Maybe that's why? IDK.
peelout
10/28/2011 4:00pm
Peelout, McGrath also wasn't making nearly as much money as the top guys do now. In his book he said he was making something like 6K...
Peelout,

McGrath also wasn't making nearly as much money as the top guys do now. In his book he said he was making something like 6K a win from Honda in 93. MC went there to make $$$ and prove he was the best.

RV doesn't need the money and already has proved he's #1 right now.

Maybe that's why? IDK.
it's a great point and makes sense, just guess it was cool always seeing some of the top guys there

The Shop

10/28/2011 5:07pm
Cygnus wrote:
A small house in California or a small house in Nebraska?
That's funny. Sad, but funny nonetheless.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/28/2011 5:40pm
My recollection from back awhile ago is that RC was turning down $250K for those races.

Matthes mentioned that Ferry was getting $30K offers

Not sure there's as much money around today.
10/28/2011 8:28pm
The money is different now, compared to the way it was. The European SX races before had huge sponsors and many of those sponsors are gone. Gone are the days of Bercy bringing over 20 US riders. They simply don't have the budget. Good guys now will make between $25 and $50K. The elite (CR, RV, RD, JS) can pull $125-200K just depending on how many nights the events are. Jake is not making enough to buy a house anywhere near where he lives now for riding Bercy. Barcia is probably the highest mainly because he is the reigning King of Bercy and I would put him at about $50-65K for the weekend.
flarider
10/28/2011 9:01pm
The money is different now, compared to the way it was. The European SX races before had huge sponsors and many of those sponsors are gone...
The money is different now, compared to the way it was. The European SX races before had huge sponsors and many of those sponsors are gone. Gone are the days of Bercy bringing over 20 US riders. They simply don't have the budget. Good guys now will make between $25 and $50K. The elite (CR, RV, RD, JS) can pull $125-200K just depending on how many nights the events are. Jake is not making enough to buy a house anywhere near where he lives now for riding Bercy. Barcia is probably the highest mainly because he is the reigning King of Bercy and I would put him at about $50-65K for the weekend.
That's about right I would say.
Keep in mind also, Bercy has no purse. There is no purse money. Show money only.
The riders in the Euro SX series are not getting show money.
Some other series', like the German, pay both show and purse, but the show money is no where near the Paris/Geneve offers, but the purse is kind of healthy. A good rider on a good team, like I work with, can come away from a 2-night German race after show money, purse, nightly bonus and weekend overall bonus with a nice weekend payday, comparable to what some earn in Bercy or Geneve for show.
jmar
10/28/2011 9:18pm
I can't speak for what they are paying today. But six or seven years ago, a decent back of the pack American rider (who was lucky enough to have a contact) could get all of his expenses paid, and make three to five grand show up money.

This would be Geneva, and Belfast. Not Bercy.
toolie
10/28/2011 11:37pm
jmar wrote:
I can't speak for what they are paying today. But six or seven years ago, a decent back of the pack American rider (who was lucky...
I can't speak for what they are paying today. But six or seven years ago, a decent back of the pack American rider (who was lucky enough to have a contact) could get all of his expenses paid, and make three to five grand show up money.

This would be Geneva, and Belfast. Not Bercy.
Bercy was about the same Jmar..... at least the 2 times I went.

Post a reply to: Show Up Money?

The Latest