Shout Out to Jess Pettis #160

Related:
Create New Tag

1/27/2019 4:20 PM

As a fellow Canadian it's some cool to see one of our guys mixing it up with the best lites riders in the world. Coming from a country where outdoor racing is all we really do it is awesome to see how comfortable he has adapted with very little experience in SX.

He's got the jitters of leading a heat race over with...look out for him getting a good start in the main and I think you could see him up around 5th-7th before the end of the year.

I could be mistaken but I think Darcey Lange and Cole Thompson have been the only Canadians to ever get on a true factory US team. Lange with PC and Thompson I believe with Rockstar KTM years ago. Could the US teams have their eyes on Pettis and possibly deteriorate him from the Canada racing scene?

|

1/27/2019 4:22 PM

I hope not cuz I love seeing a real red bull KTM 250f out there.

|

1/27/2019 4:24 PM

^^^ Dusty Klatt, JSR, Doug Dehaan all had rides. Before those guys, I don't know. Before my time following the sport.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/27/2019 4:25 PM

I think Pettis is definitely opening some eyes. RC has talked about him on the air multiple times.

|

1/27/2019 4:51 PM

He's been most impressive so far this year.

|

1/27/2019 5:23 PM

He looks really good this year. Last year was pretty sketchy though so it’s interesting to see the progression

|

1/27/2019 5:29 PM

In case anyone is interested. Little series featuring Jess Pettis.

|

1/27/2019 5:33 PM

He started really well in his heat race last night. Almost got the HooLLLEssssHhhOooooOt!

|

1/27/2019 6:09 PM

BikeGuy321 wrote:

He started really well in his heat race last night. Almost got the HooLLLEssssHhhOooooOt!

I think his starts in general have been on point. And he's riding awesome. Doesn't have the speed of the top guys but rides clean and hard to stay in front of them. Hopefully helping him learn the pace and he keeps improving. Love to see him inside the top 10 here on out.

|

1/27/2019 6:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 6:13 PM

Why the cone valves on a factory KTM? Are they allowed to use 48s in Canada?

|

1/27/2019 6:20 PM

drt410 wrote:

Why the cone valves on a factory KTM? Are they allowed to use 48s in Canada?

Huh? He’s on 48mm Kit cone valve forks down here and up north.

|

1/27/2019 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 6:31 PM

I know Im asking why he gets to use them on a factory team but tld and red bull ktm dont. Is he allowed to in Canada so thats why he brought the setup down here? Or is “factory ktm” in Canada a smaller deal so its more a power parts type of support program vs works.

Basically I was under the impression that hes Canadas factory KTM guy who brought his setup down here to race sx so why is he on cone valves.

|

1/27/2019 7:06 PM

drt410 wrote:

I know Im asking why he gets to use them on a factory team but tld and red bull ktm dont. Is he allowed to in Canada so thats ...more

Cone Valve is an internal part and has nothing to do with what tube size he uses. And the Canadian team has access to the 48s, not 52s.

|

1/27/2019 7:20 PM

DW15 is on 48 CV’s and kit shock too. Doesn’t seem to be holding him back either.

|

1/27/2019 8:34 PM

Jess was only suppose to be racing the first 3 rounds, so it was cool to see him at Oakland. Hope he can hit all the West rounds now.

|

1/27/2019 9:16 PM

XC706 wrote:

Jess was only suppose to be racing the first 3 rounds, so it was cool to see him at Oakland. Hope he can hit all the West ...more

First 5 rounds and possibly the rest of them if things go well. I think things are going pretty well. Just wish more of our guys would follow in his footsteps.

|

1/27/2019 9:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 9:42 PM

BNG wrote:

DW15 is on 48 CV’s and kit shock too. Doesn’t seem to be holding him back either.

Yea thats kind of why I was asking to see if it was by choice, which US factory teams dont have, or by a bit lesser factory support being the Canadian team. Either way it can be working out better in the end.

|

1/27/2019 11:11 PM

Photo
Snapped this at the Glendale sx
|

1/27/2019 11:18 PM

How old is he? He has been really good this year! He should probably be able to get a deal on a decent team for 2020 if he keeps putting in these kind of results.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

1/28/2019 4:38 AM

ML512 wrote:

Cone Valve is an internal part and has nothing to do with what tube size he uses. And the Canadian team has access to the 48s, ...more

They have access to 52’s, or at least they used to. I’ve seen them on their 450 bikes.

|

1/28/2019 4:40 AM

Kelz87 wrote: Photo
Snapped this at the Glendale sx

Looks great.

|

1/28/2019 5:51 AM

foreman52 wrote:

As a fellow Canadian it's some cool to see one of our guys mixing it up with the best lites riders in the world. Coming from a ...more

Umm pretty sure Dean Wilson can be added to your list of Canadians with a factory ride contract

|

1/28/2019 7:06 AM

Motofinne wrote:

How old is he? He has been really good this year! He should probably be able to get a deal on a decent team for 2020 if he ...more

Jess is 20/21. He's signed with the Red Bull Thor KTM Canada team for 2019 and 2020. That said it would be cool to see him down in the US full time.

He only had about a month or so on the new bike (switched from Yamaha) before A1. I think if he had more time riding SX and with faster guys he could be near the top 5.

He's been pretty impressive this year.

|

1/28/2019 8:10 AM

drt410 wrote:

I know Im asking why he gets to use them on a factory team but tld and red bull ktm dont. Is he allowed to in Canada so thats ...more

ML512 wrote:

Cone Valve is an internal part and has nothing to do with what tube size he uses. And the Canadian team has access to the 48s, ...more

isn't Steve Beattie @ 26 Suspension/ktm is doing his suspension

|

1/28/2019 8:18 AM

drt410 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

slothy wrote:

I'm not sure about the suspension but Steve is Thompson's mechanic.

|

1/28/2019 8:21 AM

drt410 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

slothy wrote:

Not sure, never heard of that company. His forks just have WP stickers on them.

|

1/28/2019 8:24 AM

ML512 wrote:

slothy wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm not sure about the suspension but Steve is Thompson's mechanic.

I had the pleasure of riding with Steve 2 years ago (trails). He's a friend of one of the guys we ride with. All i know is He is Stupid fast in the trails (and apparently flat track, as i found out later) and a super down to earth guy. I did not know who he was til the ride home.

|

1/28/2019 8:28 AM

found it - i remember he posted on my fb screen shot of super cross starting up

Photo

|

1/28/2019 8:36 AM

ML512 wrote:

slothy wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Not sure, never heard of that company. His forks just have WP stickers on them.

Steve is the WP/KTM factory tech in Canada on top of being Thompson's mechanic

|

1/28/2019 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 9:13 AM

drt410 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Sheriff245 wrote:

They have access to 52’s, or at least they used to. I’ve seen them on their 450 bikes.

Don’t think they do, actually. Davi sorta “brought his own” from the US thru his deal with KTM North America & JEB. Same for Christophe via Rstar-Husky and Bobby as I recall.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!