Shoulder brace/support

Team Ideal
Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 8:59pm
anyone know of a really good one? my son has been having issues with his shoulder popping out. it has been fixed once but when he was younger and dislocated it it put a flat spot on the end of the ball. to fix that is a 9 month recovery and doc says if we can get it to stay "in" to just have it fixed when he's done riding. now we're searching for a brace/support that will last and is not to restrictive. we have tried the Sully by DonJoy and he feels it's to restrictive and hampers his breathing. we've also tried EVS which just doesn't seem quite strong enough to do what we want. I have searched around a bit on the net but I was hoping to find someone that has experience with one instead of just guessing and dropping money on three or four before we stumbled on one that would work. I'm assuming there has to be a few pros that wear them, AC had an IG picture up with one on but I couldn't tell what brand it was and between Albertson and Musquin dislocating theirs this outdoor season I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion on what to try.
|
Idaho747
11/13/2014 5:55am
I have the same issue your son does and I couldn't find anything but the 2 that you mentioned. I really hope some one has a better option also.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/13/2014 7:53am
Hey guys, I have had should problems for the last 6 years. Finally this summer I had a bad dislocation which took me 4 weeks of physical Theropy to heal from...

The best thing to save my should was the PT. Not sure how deep you guys have gotten with it, but the excircises they gave me really pulled my shoulder back in place.

But support wise I have been using k-tape to give the skin and muscle a support feel,
https://www.shockdoctor.com/kinesiology-tape
The I use this shock doctor brace. It's a bit bulky at first but does a great job to limit movement where you don't want it to go and pulls the joint in towards your chest.
https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-shoulder-support-with-stability-control
I got mine at Dicks Sports or a sports authority should have them.
Xracerdone
11/13/2014 7:58am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 7:58am
None of the braces work & strengthening the muscles won't work either, only temporarily. The more it pops out the more bone loss you suffer, I have 25-30% bone loss now. I had rotator, labrum, several other tendons repaired 3 years ago, did all the therapy, two years later it came out wakeboarding & even with all the exercises, therapy it continues to come out all the time. In my sleep, if I do pull ups, came out 5 times in one week on vacation. Good news is it's really easy to put back in now & hurts less & less every time it comes out.

I am having Laterjet surgery, bone graph basically, next week, dreading it. If it is coming out fairly regularly, it is going to get worse & keep popping out.

The Shop

EddieC
11/13/2014 9:28am
GET IT FIXED PERIOD!!!

Not knowing the exact diagnosis I can't give you a timeframe, but 9 months seems rather conservative. I deal with riders every weekend with this same situation, the exception being that most are trying to make a living racing and so being sidelined is not an option. The unfortunate reality is that these same guys will ultimately either, not ride up to ability, crash and re-injure or worse crash and sustain a season ending injury. If you don't fix it and follow through with a GREAT re-hab program your future statistically does not look good.

GET IT FIXED.
hvaughn88
11/13/2014 9:34am
I had surgery done on my AC joint in 2012 and it really did take over a year to close to feeling "normal" again. The reason I say close is because although 90% of the time it feels great, there are still those instances where if I reach a certain way or pick something up a little awkwardly, I can tell I had something wrong with it. Hopefully you get it taken care of and work to get it back strong. As others have stated, it's an injury that takes time.
Team Ideal
11/13/2014 10:13am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 10:16am
Hey guys, I have had should problems for the last 6 years. Finally this summer I had a bad dislocation which took me 4 weeks of...
Hey guys, I have had should problems for the last 6 years. Finally this summer I had a bad dislocation which took me 4 weeks of physical Theropy to heal from...

The best thing to save my should was the PT. Not sure how deep you guys have gotten with it, but the excircises they gave me really pulled my shoulder back in place.

But support wise I have been using k-tape to give the skin and muscle a support feel,
https://www.shockdoctor.com/kinesiology-tape
The I use this shock doctor brace. It's a bit bulky at first but does a great job to limit movement where you don't want it to go and pulls the joint in towards your chest.
https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-shoulder-support-with-stability-control
I got mine at Dicks Sports or a sports authority should have them.
thanks. I agree on the PT/strengthening, he was doing fine but then broke his wrist and couldn't do the exercises he was earlier in the year and that's when the shoulder started flaring back up. I know surgery is really the only cure all but I believe the strength and brace do help and def going to check out the tape. if after trying these things it still gives him trouble it will be off to get it fixed.
yz763
11/13/2014 12:59pm
Xracerdone wrote:
None of the braces work & strengthening the muscles won't work either, only temporarily. The more it pops out the more bone loss you suffer, I...
None of the braces work & strengthening the muscles won't work either, only temporarily. The more it pops out the more bone loss you suffer, I have 25-30% bone loss now. I had rotator, labrum, several other tendons repaired 3 years ago, did all the therapy, two years later it came out wakeboarding & even with all the exercises, therapy it continues to come out all the time. In my sleep, if I do pull ups, came out 5 times in one week on vacation. Good news is it's really easy to put back in now & hurts less & less every time it comes out.

I am having Laterjet surgery, bone graph basically, next week, dreading it. If it is coming out fairly regularly, it is going to get worse & keep popping out.
I've had several rebuilds after dislocations and unfortunately, this is why. No brace will fix it or help it and no amount of PT will fix it either...more like a band aid. My last surgery was 9 years ago and it involved a bone graft and a screw. Unfortunately the bone graft has dissolved and my shoulder is still unstable. If I rest and work out...its good for a bit but after a lot of strenuous activity...the joint just feels tired and, well....unstable all over again.
Xracerdone
11/13/2014 4:41pm
Xracerdone wrote:
None of the braces work & strengthening the muscles won't work either, only temporarily. The more it pops out the more bone loss you suffer, I...

yz763 wrote:
I've had several rebuilds after dislocations and unfortunately, this is why. No brace will fix it or help it and no amount of PT will fix...
I've had several rebuilds after dislocations and unfortunately, this is why. No brace will fix it or help it and no amount of PT will fix it either...more like a band aid. My last surgery was 9 years ago and it involved a bone graft and a screw. Unfortunately the bone graft has dissolved and my shoulder is still unstable. If I rest and work out...its good for a bit but after a lot of strenuous activity...the joint just feels tired and, well....unstable all over again.
Aw man, don't tell me that. Was your surgery the laterjet? Sounds the same, they cut an inch of bone from elsewhere, two screws to anchor it in? Doc promised it would never come out again!
Team Ideal
11/13/2014 5:28pm
Xracerdone wrote:
Aw man, don't tell me that. Was your surgery the laterjet? Sounds the same, they cut an inch of bone from elsewhere, two screws to anchor...
Aw man, don't tell me that. Was your surgery the laterjet? Sounds the same, they cut an inch of bone from elsewhere, two screws to anchor it in? Doc promised it would never come out again!
we talked with a Dr about this as it was his go to surgery for never letting it pop out again, he used a piece of bone from the pelvic area. Our main Dr and the guy we have used and trust without a doubt does not like this method because he says it will limit your range of motion. I'd def double check with your Dr if this would be a concern for you. I don't know the "name" of the surgery our Dr is recommending but it will require a bone graph to fill in the flat spot on the ball. he is talking 9 months before much of anything but PT so we are going to try the strength/brace option for now. if it doesn't work then its surgery and off to college
yz763
11/13/2014 8:59pm
Xracerdone wrote:
Aw man, don't tell me that. Was your surgery the laterjet? Sounds the same, they cut an inch of bone from elsewhere, two screws to anchor...
I'm not sure what the surgery was called but that sounds similar to what I had done. I had the anchors put in a few times and they never held so the doc did this. It was painful as hell and recovery was a lot longer but mine never really healed. My graft was in the 6 o'clock position of my socket so that might have had something to do with it. I've learned to live with it but I need to get it fixed sometime in the near future. Lately, when I pick up a beer or shoot pool my shoulder has been sounding like pure bone on metal grinding and it hurts like hell. If you're standing close enough to me you can hear it too. I would recommend you do your research thoroughly and get 7 or 8 opinions before you commit to this. If it isn't done right or something goes wrong, it won't be noticeable immediately.

Post a reply to: Shoulder brace/support

The Latest