Should you mod a stock bike?

Andy7
Fantasy
1292nd
3/6/2018 12:52pm
Hi guys, pretty sure many of you have thought about this. I have a PC link on my KXF 450, with the forks on the second line and it helped the bike a lot,in my opinion. However,I was talking to a suspension tuner about re-valving my suspension and he told that the link was harming the bike. He also told me that new gen chasis(2010 or newer of any bike) shouldn't have the forks slid soo up in the clamps. Does he know a lot and I actually ruined a perfect handling bike? Are re-valves really necessary or they are not the way to go? Moreover,I see a lot of people changing triple clamps with ones with less offset (and I strongly believe that this helps cornering) BUT, why does this contradict the theory as more trail should improve stability and make cornering more difficult?
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/6/2018 12:57pm
What works for one guy doesn't work for others. If you feel comfortable with your bike the way it is, why change it? Now I can jump on your bike and it could feel horrible for me, but if it works for you that's fine. If you want really good advice on setup give Enzo, Factory Connection, Pro Circuit or any of those big suspension guys a call and see what they think.
NeedMoto
3/6/2018 1:20pm
Many people have screwed up bikes, making them handle worse because they heard from there buddy that they should mod this and that.

Ride a bike for 10 hours stock so you can figure out how it works for you. If your wanting to mod it, do one at a time so you can feel the effects, otherwise you won't know how one mod is effecting the other.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/6/2018 1:46pm
NeedMoto wrote:
Many people have screwed up bikes, making them handle worse because they heard from there buddy that they should mod this and that. Ride a bike...
Many people have screwed up bikes, making them handle worse because they heard from there buddy that they should mod this and that.

Ride a bike for 10 hours stock so you can figure out how it works for you. If your wanting to mod it, do one at a time so you can feel the effects, otherwise you won't know how one mod is effecting the other.
x2
Bruce372
3/6/2018 2:01pm
A good tuner should be able to work within the design of the bike and it's components to get it working for a diverse range of riders.

Often tuners like to swap stuff like linlages and shock piston to remove variables and shorten their testing time, plus, it makes them extra income from the sale of the parts.

Sometimes bikes have flaws that can't be dialed in my regular valving, springs etc.

Sometimes people will insist that half of the components need replacing so they can make sales.

Very often, aftermarket parts don't fit that well, or mess up something else on the bike. E.g. a new pipe may not work with stock mapping.

The Shop

mwssquad827
3/6/2018 2:04pm
I agree put some hrs on the bike as is then start revalving/ changing stuff... then you will know if you are going the right or wrong way.
kb228
3/6/2018 2:07pm
Another vote for adding hours. Know exactly what the bike does and research the parts to fix what you dont like.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/6/2018 2:08pm
Modding a stock bike makes more sense than modding a mod bike. Er, you get what I mean.
slowgti
3/6/2018 2:26pm
The smartest guy I know always says: after you put enough hours on it to change the oil twice, come talk to me.
Andy7
Fantasy
1292nd
3/6/2018 2:56pm
Yeah I had over 40 hours when I installed the link,and it gave the bike better traction and stopped the horrible wallow that affected the bike during acceleration. But when I was told to remove it I got confused. I think that PC knows a thing or two about what they sell. Thanks for all your input guys!

Post a reply to: Should you mod a stock bike?

The Latest