Should Tomac gut it out?

mx196
Fantasy
3991st
1/13/2018 8:55pm
Given Marvin’s down 26 now, I know Eli still has a massive deficit, but is it worth gutting out a round or two and see how he feels from there? Not out of the question if he heals to even 80-90% he could go on a tear. Figure Ando and RocZen will have their bad races down the road. What do you guys think
|
Fourth_Floor
1/13/2018 9:34pm
His title hopes are gone. He mine as well take whatever time he needs to heal and put his focus on defending his outdoors title.
kiwifan
1/13/2018 9:36pm
Not sure he should, could risk worse damage to the shoulder....better to get to 100%
drt410
1/13/2018 9:37pm
Roczen has smoothed out and learned to accept a second. Were watching the next great round into form right in front of us. History shows 1 guy dominates with 1-2 winning in between. Thats elis mx championship. Roczen is about to dominate from here on out and he already has 2 mx championships.
jnickell
Fantasy
1874th
1/13/2018 9:41pm
This is impossible for any of us to determine. If he doesn't have the strength to race, it doesn't matter how badly he wants to give it a go.If you can't hang on, you don't belong on a SX track. Correction, if you can't hang on, you will end up sleeping on a SX track. I think there are lots of folks that assume it's not that bad because nothing is broken or torn. They fail to recognize that broken or torn isn't a requirement to having a useless (pick the appendage).

The Shop

MX-LIFE.
1/13/2018 10:07pm
Fuck no he shouldn't! There is life after mxsx
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
1/13/2018 10:14pm
Lots of racing left, he needs to gut it out. Ando could easily get hurt and so could Roczen - either could miss a round or two. Who knows, Barcia is right in this thing too based on how he is riding. This thing is wide open. A LOT of racing left. We should not be complaining. there's a good chance this points championship is going to be tight through Vegas.
tcallahan707
1/13/2018 10:28pm
drt410 wrote:
Roczen has smoothed out and learned to accept a second. Were watching the next great round into form right in front of us. History shows 1...
Roczen has smoothed out and learned to accept a second. Were watching the next great round into form right in front of us. History shows 1 guy dominates with 1-2 winning in between. Thats elis mx championship. Roczen is about to dominate from here on out and he already has 2 mx championships.
I hate to say it but I think you are right. Roczen crashing last year just delayed the process and Tomac might end up being grateful for even winning one 450 title after all is said and done. I hope I'm wrong.
1/13/2018 11:08pm
I'm not sure it's necessarily about the pain but more the fact that he doesn't have much strength. Wilson pretty much said the same thing about his injury, the pain is one thing but the lack of strength and inability to hold on makes it really sketchy. Watching Eli in qualifying earlier it looked like he tried to skim the whoops but the bars nearly got ripped out of his hands.
303MX
1/14/2018 9:27am
I agree with what others have said about Tomac not being strong enough to ride the track last night.

Everyone has been saying that Tomac is mentally weak, and there's a lot of evidence to that theory. Tomac even said on the Pulp show that he got off of social media because the negativity was getting to him.

That may be true, but he's got brand and his sponsors want him on social media.

Regardless, I thought after he crashed at A1 that he just mentally lost it and quit. I also thought that after all the bashing Tomac got after A1 that he might have even sat out last night to prove that he really was too banged up to race.

That track was rough last night and Dean said he wasn't strong enough to race... Even Dungey said he was surprised that the track turned out to be tougher than it looked. So who knows, maybe Tomac was smart not to ride and would have raced if honestly could have.
mxlegend99
Fantasy
1518th
1/14/2018 10:17am
Too late now. He needed to race last night and get good points. You cant give up 2 races and still win.

He might aswell get to 100% now.
DPR250R
1/14/2018 10:36am
At 100% he has this field covered.SX Championship may be a stretch but he could grab a bunch of wins and finish bonuses. Might be worth it for his wallet.

Its not worth it if his shoulder needs an actual repair.

In his interview with Taft he mentioned that within the past week it got a lot better so hopefully it just needs a little more time.
Claerhout
Fantasy
296th
1/14/2018 11:11am
I can't believe how many people think Tomac had "the field covered", without seeing if he could finally put it to a healthy Roczen. That has not ever been established.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
1/14/2018 11:20am
drt410 wrote:
Roczen has smoothed out and learned to accept a second. Were watching the next great round into form right in front of us. History shows 1...
this
kiwifan
1/14/2018 11:42am
DPR250R wrote:
At 100% he has this field covered.SX Championship may be a stretch but he could grab a bunch of wins and finish bonuses. Might be worth...
At 100% he has this field covered.SX Championship may be a stretch but he could grab a bunch of wins and finish bonuses. Might be worth it for his wallet.

In his interview with Taft he mentioned that within the past week it got a lot better so hopefully it just needs a little more time.
he has the field covered? Are you high?
DPR250R
1/14/2018 11:57am
kiwifan wrote:
Ok... who is faster then him when he is not hurt now that Marvin is questionable?

If he is not hurt... you think he couldn’t do what he did last year?
1/14/2018 12:01pm
drt410 wrote:
this
BobbyM
1/14/2018 12:01pm
mx196 wrote:
Given Marvin’s down 26 now, I know Eli still has a massive deficit, but is it worth gutting out a round or two and see how...
Given Marvin’s down 26 now, I know Eli still has a massive deficit, but is it worth gutting out a round or two and see how he feels from there? Not out of the question if he heals to even 80-90% he could go on a tear. Figure Ando and RocZen will have their bad races down the road. What do you guys think
Yer high.. Roll Nother one.
BobPA
1/14/2018 12:08pm
DPR250R wrote:
At 100% he has this field covered.SX Championship may be a stretch but he could grab a bunch of wins and finish bonuses. Might be worth...

Covered? Leading 7 minutes of the first main event, then lawn darted out of the championship proves nothing.
Claerhout
Fantasy
296th
1/14/2018 12:08pm
kiwifan wrote:
DPR250R wrote:
Ok... who is faster then him when he is not hurt now that Marvin is questionable? If he is not hurt... you think he couldn’t do...
Ok... who is faster then him when he is not hurt now that Marvin is questionable?

If he is not hurt... you think he couldn’t do what he did last year?
Last year? You mean lose a championship?

Roczen is what is different. And expecting Eli not to get rattled and make mistakes.

He's never had the field 100% covered for a series, what made it so this year?
DPR250R
1/14/2018 12:15pm
Claerhout wrote:
Last year? You mean lose a championship? Roczen is what is different. And expecting Eli not to get rattled and make mistakes. He's never had the...

Roczen is what is different. And expecting Eli not to get rattled and make mistakes.

I mean win a bunch of races. You think he is not capable of winning races? He already lost the championship... that part is over.

I think if he is healthy he can win a bunch of races and he is the fastest man out there.

Didn’t Ken lose the same championship Tomac did last year? I thought so.
TeamGreen
1/14/2018 12:18pm
2 races into a 17 race season and here's what I know: all the guys on top of the points know we're a LONG WAY from Vegas.
Claerhout
Fantasy
296th
1/14/2018 12:58pm
Claerhout wrote:
Last year? You mean lose a championship? Roczen is what is different. And expecting Eli not to get rattled and make mistakes. He's never had the...

DPR250R wrote:
I mean win a bunch of races. You think he is not capable of winning races? He already lost the championship... that part is over. I...
I mean win a bunch of races. You think he is not capable of winning races? He already lost the championship... that part is over.

I think if he is healthy he can win a bunch of races and he is the fastest man out there.

Didn’t Ken lose the same championship Tomac did last year? I thought so.
Win races yes. Has the field 100% covered, no.
JRT812
1/14/2018 1:05pm
MX-LIFE. wrote:
Fuck no he shouldn't! There is life after mxsx
I feel like you’re saying something MX-LIFE
blusmbl
1/14/2018 1:18pm
Don't forget, in 2011 Villopoto won the SX championship and he didn't even qualify at Jacksonville. Nothing is impossible. Everybody has bad nights. Ken has only run a handful of races on the Honda, Marvin may be questionable after his issues last night, and Anderson/Seely/Barcia/BB4 etc weren't championship threats last SX season either.

It's highly unlikely Tomac wins after spotting the field 50 points but stranger things have happened. It's definitely going to make the series interesting!
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
1/14/2018 1:19pm
If he's unable to get a top 5 finish at A2. He is completely out of title contention. He's 48 points behind the points leader now and can't hemorrhage anymore. Is it mathematically possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. If he couldn't go at Houston, he's a long way from being healthy enough to string together the race wins he will need to make a comeback.

So he might as well let it heal up and either come back before Daytona healthy and win some races at the end of the season or wait for Hangtown.

Do you think Anderson, Roczen, Barcia are just going to roll over for a wounded Tomac when they all feel like they are in title contention? Their confidence is building, while Eli's and Marvin's are dwindling.
kkawboy14
1/14/2018 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2018 1:21pm
If everyone misses 2 to 3 weeks Tomac is back in it. Musquin is gonna miss at least 4
1/14/2018 1:25pm
I don't really feel like anyone of the top guys necessarily "have the field covered". At least not over a whole series.
Olson
1/14/2018 1:25pm
There's always next season...

Seriously though, I've never been much for riders riding injured, the risk is already high enough. This sport is heart breaking sometimes, just ask Dean Wilson, Adam Cianciarulo etc. He will most likely not win the championship, but he's paid to be out there, go to the races and see how it feels, if it hurts too much, call it a day. Get the shoulder fixed and come back strong for another shot.
Katoomey
1/14/2018 1:35pm
why even assume he wont be racing next weekend? did I miss a press release or something?...(serious question)

and to those who say he should give up, c'mon, give me a break. no one even knows what's specifically wrong with him (again, unless I missed something here)... why not root for him to make an amazing comeback? Jason Anderson is the points leader and Roczen, although very impressive, all considered, is not riding at 100%, and now with Marvin's health in question, I'd say this championship is not out of Tomac's reach. The old cliche saying "ya gotta be in it to win it" applies here. and like others have said...getting wins, even if you are out of contention, is still important, still worth it, for everyone involved, Tomac included.
kiwifan
1/14/2018 1:36pm
I don't really feel like anyone of the top guys necessarily "have the field covered". At least not over a whole series.
I agree with this 100%

Post a reply to: Should Tomac gut it out?

The Latest