Should Loretta’s have a C class

6/1/2018 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 2:34pm
Wells423 wrote:
I personally say no. No point in hiding in a class that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Stupid to see people second mortgage...
I personally say no. No point in hiding in a class that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Stupid to see people second mortgage their homes for a kid that will be done racing in 2 years. Thoughts?
So, to make this clear:

According to this post, if you were a race promoter or organizing body, and you had a large participant pool who so desperately wanted to compete in a specific class at your events that they'd mortgage their homes, you would turn them away en masse?

Doesn't sound like a good strategy to me.
racerx317
6/1/2018 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 2:34pm
Jterry wrote:
What I don't understand is why even have area anymore qualifiers?? There a 100's of people that don't make the top 7 at the area. All...
What I don't understand is why even have area anymore qualifiers?? There a 100's of people that don't make the top 7 at the area. All they do is pay their money and they get into the regional then that makes the guy that actually finished in the top 7 at the area have to race another qualifier at the regional just to be able to actually race the main at the regional.

But I already know the answer to that. Its money. They aren't gonna turn down all that money that they can make on letting the guys in that finished dead last at the area.

There shouldn't be 60-75 people show up at the regional in 250C. When there should technically only be 49 there.
Back in my day they only accepted 40, + alternates as needed to fill the gate, for Regionals. These days they accept a max of 64 at Regionals... big $$. Primarily C classes, SR 50s and 7-9 65 classes hit the max at many of the events.
Wells423
6/1/2018 2:08pm
McGrath won the novice class at Lorettas.
There’s always that one guy
6/1/2018 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 2:56pm
1 c class. Open displacement. That’s it. 1 gate drop.

As others have pointed out....that tactic might bankrupt motocross. C class is about the only damn class locally that still pulls 20+ a race.

The Shop

rockn216
6/1/2018 3:21pm
McG194 wrote:
Not really sure how you grow a sport by not letting as many people participate. Remember Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team...
Not really sure how you grow a sport by not letting as many people participate.

Remember Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. Not everybody blossoms at the same time.

Weston Pieck should have just given up because he didn't have a factory ride at 16......
Michael was cut from varsity while he was a sophomore. He still played on the JV team. Just saying...
305FC250
6/1/2018 5:55pm
When the top few dudes in C class are putting in the same lap times as 15-20th in open pro then it's kind of pointless for the C class to exist if it's gona be sandbagged that bad. No one racing C class should be even remotely close to being fast enough to qualify for open pro.
6/1/2018 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 6:02pm
Jterry wrote:
What I don't understand is why even have area anymore qualifiers?? There a 100's of people that don't make the top 7 at the area. All...
What I don't understand is why even have area anymore qualifiers?? There a 100's of people that don't make the top 7 at the area. All they do is pay their money and they get into the regional then that makes the guy that actually finished in the top 7 at the area have to race another qualifier at the regional just to be able to actually race the main at the regional.

But I already know the answer to that. Its money. They aren't gonna turn down all that money that they can make on letting the guys in that finished dead last at the area.

There shouldn't be 60-75 people show up at the regional in 250C. When there should technically only be 49 there.
Shit. You checking results at qualifiers ? Hundreds of c riders aren’t showing up....

The regional system works pretty well. It truly guarantees the best of the best are there to compete.

Now If areas truly had 100s showing up for the qualifier then yea you don’t need to overbook the regional. But look at the check marks on the results.....there are people that finish top In qualifying spots and don’t have a check. Meaning they ain’t racing the regional. Atleast with the power ranking system and the 60 something slots you know you’re racing the best of the best for the entire region.

Don’t have to overbook Loretta’s because the regional already guaranteed that the fastest people were there duking it out. Not all qualifiers have huge turnouts. So this it’s all about money argument annoys me in regards to overbooking regionals. But I can see in favor of the money argument when there’s 50 million c classes.
6/1/2018 6:23pm
C class is ok but they need fewer classes in general....and a shorter schedule. Should be a 3-4 day event. IMO
6/1/2018 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 7:08pm
Sorry would have posted sooner but was watching the karate yellow belt national championship

When I was younger you wanted to move up . Earn so many novice points and you moved to amateur , then earn so many amateur points you move up to expert . I never made expert, but 30 years later at track days I have pride that I have moved up.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/1/2018 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 7:37pm
Yep lets kill even more of a shrinking sport by getting rid of the C class or not having a C class championship. I hate to tell you guys but go look at the amount of money they spend to go racing and try to accomplish something if it is just a C class championship. The money the amateur riders spend is what keep the sport afloat and if you see the enthusiasm and excitement they have even when they are starting out in the lower classes. Maybe then you can think back to when it was all new and all you did was think and dream about riding and racing. I still remember those times even though it was over 40 years ago for me but most of the jokers on here are to core to see the real foundation of MX, its the C class.
Wells423
6/1/2018 8:14pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Yep lets kill even more of a shrinking sport by getting rid of the C class or not having a C class championship. I hate to...
Yep lets kill even more of a shrinking sport by getting rid of the C class or not having a C class championship. I hate to tell you guys but go look at the amount of money they spend to go racing and try to accomplish something if it is just a C class championship. The money the amateur riders spend is what keep the sport afloat and if you see the enthusiasm and excitement they have even when they are starting out in the lower classes. Maybe then you can think back to when it was all new and all you did was think and dream about riding and racing. I still remember those times even though it was over 40 years ago for me but most of the jokers on here are to core to see the real foundation of MX, its the C class.
I have no issues with the c class. I race over 30 c. The c class is definitely the biggest classes at local events from 250c 450c and all the various vet c classes. I guess the way I see it is mots the kids and vets racing locally in the c class do so for fun. It just makes me shake my head at the amount of kids that stay hidden most of the year to stay down to chase Loretta’s. Most of the front runners in C could easily be mid pack or better B riders.
kkawboy14
6/1/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 8:22pm
You guys really just don’t realize that this racing stuff is business for the promoters and tracks first?
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
6/1/2018 8:32pm
Maybe “amateur and National”don’t belong in the same sentence? Its an amateur event and C class is an amateur as it gets for those age groups...
Maybe “amateur and National”don’t belong in the same sentence? Its an amateur event and C class is an amateur as it gets for those age groups.
Leave it in.
OW38B wrote:
I always thought an "Amatuer National Championship" was nucking futs. I you want to be a National Champ run with the AMA Pro's.
billyp330 wrote:
you should reread what you posted there. There is a big difference between an Amateur National Championship and a Pro National Championship, Hence the Amateur and...
you should reread what you posted there. There is a big difference between an Amateur National Championship and a Pro National Championship, Hence the Amateur and Pro words in front of National Championship. IDK y ppl keep confusing the word National with the words Pro and Amateur...
I know you are completely missing our point of view.

We do not believe any amateurs should have a National Championship Race.

A National championship should not have skill levels and should be the top level Pro riders.
Mx286
6/1/2018 9:02pm
So many people are totally clueless about having the C class and what it actually does on the national scene.

Big $$$ is put back into the sport from C riders. Majority of them are parents footing the bill. Their buying little Johnny whatever he wants and most are probably paying full retail. Next to the vets, they are keeping the sport going.

As someone else mentioned, some kids are not good mini bike riders but when they hit the big bike something clicks and they take off. My brother and I both were like that. And if it wasn’t for me qualifying in the C class for Loretta’s, I’m not sure how far I would have went or continued the sport. It gave me the determination and drive to continue getting better with racing and keep going back.

The local C class and the national level are two totally different categories. Most don’t know the difference and label anyone that is faster than them a sand bagger.
Racerxx
6/1/2018 9:24pm
Lets keep the C class alive what they need to do is bump the kids who run lap times comparable to the top B riders up to the B class why they don't address the problem is beyond me. It's not that hard to see with all the qualifiers who is too fast for the class. I watched a few kids move up to B last year after Mammoth and struggled to compete but here they are a year later and running near the front and getting faster all the time.
andrewlewis182
Fantasy
4331st
6/5/2018 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2018 4:06pm
Here I’ll help, it’s going no where any time soon. Why? The redbud regional list just came over and they have 936 entries (ridiculous in itself) and 296 of those are C rider entries. You think MXSports is gonna pass up on that $15K? JUST OFF RACE FEES?? Plus their practice fee, gate fee, and all the gate fees from the hoes they bring to the track with em. No sir. Dont you want the sport to grow? Aka have money? Keep the C class.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
6/5/2018 4:11pm
Here I’ll help, it’s going no where any time soon. Why? The redbud regional list just came over and they have 936 entries (ridiculous in itself)...
Here I’ll help, it’s going no where any time soon. Why? The redbud regional list just came over and they have 936 entries (ridiculous in itself) and 296 of those are C rider entries. You think MXSports is gonna pass up on that $15K? JUST OFF RACE FEES?? Plus their practice fee, gate fee, and all the gate fees from the hoes they bring to the track with em. No sir. Dont you want the sport to grow? Aka have money? Keep the C class.
Bingo
Tracktor
6/5/2018 4:43pm
The 250 beginner class here in Portland Oregon at PIR is kinda stupid. Kids at the front are clearing all the jumps, railing turns, and then...
The 250 beginner class here in Portland Oregon at PIR is kinda stupid. Kids at the front are clearing all the jumps, railing turns, and then the kids at the back are barely moving. There should be more clear rules about who is allowed and not allowed in a “beginner” class because if you can go to washougal and clear every jump and fly through the turns you are no longer just a “beginner”..
#spectatormoneyclass......D class at PIR is usually pure entertainment.

You should get one year in beginner class regardless of speed on minis. Then another year when you go to big bikes. That's it. After that it's C/B/Novice/Intermediate/whatever but not beginner. Both my boys rode less than a year in beginner on minis and moved to B within a year each time they changed classes. Sucks though as B class gates in the NW are usually tiny. Haviong 5 kids in 85b or 250/opn B is pretty good here.......

I think if C class keeps Loretta's alive what's the harm? Never see one of my boys trying to "make" it in the C class but what we do isn't for everyone...................Plenty of people silly enough to chase the dream and that's their choice.....
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
6/7/2018 7:32am
They should for Vet classes and beyond. A lot of people pick this sport up later in life or return to it in their 20s when they’re more independent. For the under 25 crowd it seems kind of redundant.
gt80rider
6/7/2018 8:18am
Yes, because they are the biggest/most popular classes locally at the amateur level, hence the reason for LL needing to exist at all.

Post a reply to: Should Loretta’s have a C class

The Latest