Should I try to ride, or wait?

Ddavis
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:30am
Some of you know that I broke my scaphoid and with stupidity I never got it looked at for over a year and half, but I had surgery on it twice and the doctor says it's completely healed. He said it's "OK" for me to ride but I'm not sure if I want to risk it. If he says its healed then it's healed, but it feels the same as it was when it was broken. I don't know if that's because it's weak and doesn't have full flexibility yet, but do you think I should wait to ride? Not really in a big rush right now anyways, I'm not missing anything. Or should I just go riding at a local private track just to see if it feels strong enough to ride and go from there. The soonest I can be in for Physical Therapy is on the 13th of July, would it better to wait until I finish PT? or will riding + physical therapy help the flexibility process? Has anyone here had a scaphoid injury?

Set aside the sarcasm for now, please.
|
wacker
6/25/2010 10:36pm
If you aren't in a hurry then don't worry about it. Stretch it and let the strength build back up. Look for some PT you can do online, plenty of info out there. When it feels good, go moto.
Ddavis
6/25/2010 10:40pm
Thanks for the positive feedback, i'll google some "scaphoid recovery stretches" right now.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
6/25/2010 10:42pm
wacker wrote:
If you aren't in a hurry then don't worry about it. Stretch it and let the strength build back up. Look for some PT you can...
If you aren't in a hurry then don't worry about it. Stretch it and let the strength build back up. Look for some PT you can do online, plenty of info out there. When it feels good, go moto.
good advice
crf250pilot
6/25/2010 11:08pm
I think you should make you debut the same time as Stewart does. We'll be waiting and waiting and..............

The Shop

mxtryon231
6/25/2010 11:14pm
Ddavis wrote:
Some of you know that I broke my scaphoid and with stupidity I never got it looked at for over a year and half, but I...
Some of you know that I broke my scaphoid and with stupidity I never got it looked at for over a year and half, but I had surgery on it twice and the doctor says it's completely healed. He said it's "OK" for me to ride but I'm not sure if I want to risk it. If he says its healed then it's healed, but it feels the same as it was when it was broken. I don't know if that's because it's weak and doesn't have full flexibility yet, but do you think I should wait to ride? Not really in a big rush right now anyways, I'm not missing anything. Or should I just go riding at a local private track just to see if it feels strong enough to ride and go from there. The soonest I can be in for Physical Therapy is on the 13th of July, would it better to wait until I finish PT? or will riding + physical therapy help the flexibility process? Has anyone here had a scaphoid injury?

Set aside the sarcasm for now, please.
If you're not getting payed, wait until you are 100% or at least feel close to it.

I separated my shoulder and got back on the bike the day the doctor cleared me, needless to say it popped right back out during the second lap in the woops.

Better to come back and be able to stay a while rather than come back too soon and set yourself back even more if somethin happens.
plowboy
6/25/2010 11:36pm
Why take a chance...you should give up riding completely and sell yer bike to me for a buck.Evil
rc4187
6/25/2010 11:52pm
When you do go back to ride... Don't go out with something to prove. Ease back into it... let it get stronger. No sense going out if you're not comfortable with it either.
Ddavis
6/26/2010 12:28am
rc4187 wrote:
When you do go back to ride... Don't go out with something to prove. Ease back into it... let it get stronger. No sense going out...
When you do go back to ride... Don't go out with something to prove. Ease back into it... let it get stronger. No sense going out if you're not comfortable with it either.
Unfortunately I got used to riding with it not being 100% for over a year, so I almost forgot what a "normal" wrist feels like. (my left wrist is normal, but it takes two wrists to ride competively)
Jake-247
6/26/2010 2:34am
Listen to your doctor, I didn't after I broke my femur and ended up breaking a screw in my knee and going back to square one. But I guess if he says its fixed it must be, or if your not sure maybe go and get a second opinion from a different doctor just too see what he says.

But it may be in your head to, which is my problem now with my leg. No matter how hard I try I cannot put my leg out in corners, even though its fixed. Just because I cant get the thought of breaking it again out of my head. But really it is up too you in the end, lets just hope you make the right decision Cool
teggers
6/26/2010 2:57am
How old are you? This is a post of a Vet rider 3-thinking life. If you are under 50, I say you should ride. Make sure you have the good insurance...ha!
txmxer
6/26/2010 7:35am
Doesn't sound right. Hasn't been that long since you went to the dr.

If you haven't started PT, then you should do that first and see how it feels in controlled situations.
jeffro503
6/26/2010 8:02am
DD....That scaphoid bone is extremely small , but it's also extremely important as far as a MX racer is concerned. I know about the bone very well , as I think almost every single one of my friends I ride with , have the scars on the hands and wrists from the surgery. I got extremely lucky ( eerr............I guess you could say that ) as i never broke that bone.......But just about everything else in my body at least once or twice.

You mentioned that you waited for over a year? OK.....I'm not a doctor , but from everything i have heard from my buddies that had the surgery and doctors themselves was that , "THAT" specific bone needs to be operated on to become 100% ( or close to it ).....and it NEEDS to happen very soon after the break!

From what I understand is the best thing in surgery they do for that little scaphoid bone , is that they actually attach , or move a blood vessel as to pump blood onto or around it. It normally doesn't get any or very little blood flow to it......and when it breaks , it doesn't get the amount of blood it needs to heal. It can and WILL die if that sounds right. It can deteriorate to to nothing , and usually when that happens a person can lose about 75% of the strength in their grip. That was one ( of many ) bones Ricky Johnson broke , and it pretty much ended his career.

Again....I am no doctor....but the pain you feel now , may very well be the "best it can get" because you waited over a year....and it could have caused that bone to deteriorate down to just about nothing.

What exactly did the doctor tell you about it.....as far as what shape is the bone in? Is it still there? And did you tell him that it still felt like it was still broke........and what did he say?
jeffro503
6/26/2010 8:04am
One other thing that doesn't make sense here is that your doctor is telling you it's healed and ok to ride........But you haven't started physical therapy yet? I'd either wait to ride , or get a second opinion here.
txmxer
6/26/2010 9:07am
jeffro503 wrote:
One other thing that doesn't make sense here is that your doctor is telling you it's healed and ok to ride........But you haven't started physical therapy...
One other thing that doesn't make sense here is that your doctor is telling you it's healed and ok to ride........But you haven't started physical therapy yet? I'd either wait to ride , or get a second opinion here.
This is starting to smell funny.

Post a reply to: Should I try to ride, or wait?

The Latest