Should I replace the chain on my new kx450f to o/x-ring chain?

Lidorg9
Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 4:51am
Hi, my new kx450f 2021 has arrived ๐Ÿ˜€ and my question is should I replace the chain right away to o/x-ring chain or just stay with the original chain? What's the right thing to do? Thanks ๐Ÿ™โค
|
davidgrip
10/14/2020 2:29pm
Lidorg9 wrote:
Hi, my new kx450f 2021 has arrived ๐Ÿ˜€ and my question is should I replace the chain right away to o/x-ring chain or just stay with...
Hi, my new kx450f 2021 has arrived ๐Ÿ˜€ and my question is should I replace the chain right away to o/x-ring chain or just stay with the original chain? What's the right thing to do? Thanks ๐Ÿ™โค
The chain is fine. You need to replace the chain guide and slider, as with all Kawasakis. Remove the lower chain roller, and if the 21 still has the single bearing, switch to the 16-18, double bearing, when it wears out. I run the Acerbis for durablity and performance. When you change the chain, try a 116 link. This will increase the wheel base for better traction and stability.

Lidorg9
10/14/2020 2:36pm
davidgrip wrote:
The chain is fine. You need to replace the chain guide and slider, as with all Kawasakis. Remove the lower chain roller, and if the 21...
The chain is fine. You need to replace the chain guide and slider, as with all Kawasakis. Remove the lower chain roller, and if the 21 still has the single bearing, switch to the 16-18, double bearing, when it wears out. I run the Acerbis for durablity and performance. When you change the chain, try a 116 link. This will increase the wheel base for better traction and stability.

Ok good to know, thank you very very much! ๐Ÿ™ โค
10/14/2020 5:42pm
The bulletproof setup I have on my KX450 is:
X-ring chain
TM Designworks slide and glide kit
Dirt Tricks lightweight steel sprockets.

That drivetrain will outlast the engine.
BeachMX
10/14/2020 10:32pm
The bulletproof setup I have on my KX450 is: X-ring chain TM Designworks slide and glide kit Dirt Tricks lightweight steel sprockets. That drivetrain will outlast...
X-ring chain

My buddy just got the TM Designworks slide, glide, and roller kit.... The set up is LOUD! Seems WAY louder than his stock set up (slap, rattle, etc)

Is yours loud as well?? You are right though, stuff is bulletproof.

The Shop

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/15/2020 12:22am
Lidorg9 wrote:
Hi, my new kx450f 2021 has arrived ๐Ÿ˜€ and my question is should I replace the chain right away to o/x-ring chain or just stay with...
davidgrip wrote:
The chain is fine. You need to replace the chain guide and slider, as with all Kawasakis. Remove the lower chain roller, and if the 21...

Correct and It is mind-boggling that Kawasaki has not yet sorted their chain guide and slipper out yet. We last rode KX450's back in '12-'13 and had the same issue. We fitted TM units which gave us good milage and performance.
10/15/2020 4:50am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 4:51am
The bulletproof setup I have on my KX450 is: X-ring chain TM Designworks slide and glide kit Dirt Tricks lightweight steel sprockets. That drivetrain will outlast...
X-ring chain

BeachMX wrote:
My buddy just got the TM Designworks slide, glide, and roller kit.... The set up is LOUD! Seems WAY louder than his stock set up (slap...
My buddy just got the TM Designworks slide, glide, and roller kit.... The set up is LOUD! Seems WAY louder than his stock set up (slap, rattle, etc)

Is yours loud as well?? You are right though, stuff is bulletproof.
Yup, louder than stock for sure, but it will last the life of the bike. Doesnโ€™t really bother me because I wear earplugs when I ride.

Post a reply to: Should I replace the chain on my new kx450f to o/x-ring chain?

The Latest