Should I get a Normal Dirt Bike or A Pit Bike?

Chmewy
Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 2:13pm
So I am a year old kid that is and stating this cause I dont really know if this will affect your response. So I am totally new to Dirt Bikes and all, so dont get mad at me if I dont understand something or use wrong information please. So I have never rode a motorcycle before, I mean I have but really its was small stuff, nothing like this. I wanted to at some point get a trail bike that I can bring to locations on the weekends or get some sort of bike that I can take to tracks for jumps later on. I was wondering since I have never really rode a dirt bike, or anything like this before, if I should get a pit bike instead. I dont want to really spend anything over $1,200, because I dont even know if this will be something I like at all. I know with the pit bike I wont be able to do trails to a degree, im okay with that as long as this would be something I can ride around my neighborhood and in some open areas and learn how to ride. Maybe I am crazy for even thinking about doing this, I am leaning towards the pit bike but maybe I am just to big for them and I have read they get boring fast unless you are messing around with friends or have a small track of some sorts, which I wont have either. I dont have any friends that will have bikes to ride with me. But I also want to get like a trail bike too because they can just do more, but they are more expensive for something I might just not enjoy.
|
ns503
8/21/2018 4:18pm
I'd get a 125 dual sport. Then you could plate it and run on the roads too.
jeffro503
8/21/2018 4:24pm
Chmewy wrote:
So I am a year old kid that is and stating this cause I dont really know if this will affect your response. So I am...
So I am a year old kid that is and stating this cause I dont really know if this will affect your response. So I am totally new to Dirt Bikes and all, so dont get mad at me if I dont understand something or use wrong information please. So I have never rode a motorcycle before, I mean I have but really its was small stuff, nothing like this. I wanted to at some point get a trail bike that I can bring to locations on the weekends or get some sort of bike that I can take to tracks for jumps later on. I was wondering since I have never really rode a dirt bike, or anything like this before, if I should get a pit bike instead. I dont want to really spend anything over $1,200, because I dont even know if this will be something I like at all. I know with the pit bike I wont be able to do trails to a degree, im okay with that as long as this would be something I can ride around my neighborhood and in some open areas and learn how to ride. Maybe I am crazy for even thinking about doing this, I am leaning towards the pit bike but maybe I am just to big for them and I have read they get boring fast unless you are messing around with friends or have a small track of some sorts, which I wont have either. I dont have any friends that will have bikes to ride with me. But I also want to get like a trail bike too because they can just do more, but they are more expensive for something I might just not enjoy.
You have to make up your mind on what you want to use this bike for.

On the street / mild trail rides.....Dual sport bike

More knarly offroad / some motocross tracks......Many choices for that , but you need a budget. And a way to get that bike to and from where you want to ride.
Chmewy
8/21/2018 5:22pm
Chmewy wrote:
So I am a year old kid that is and stating this cause I dont really know if this will affect your response. So I am...
jeffro503 wrote:
You have to make up your mind on what you want to use this bike for. On the street / mild trail rides.....Dual sport bike More...

More knarly offroad / some motocross tracks......Many choices for that , but you need a budget. And a way to get that bike to and from where you want to ride.
I mostly want to just do trails and other off road things. Im new so tracks I feel like would be something I would do later on, but not out of the question. But I still need to be 18 anyways to be able to ride by myself, and I already have a car so I would most likely just buy a street motorcycle on its own if I want to do that. If I was to plan on only riding trails and maybe tracks and im new, what would you suggest I get?

The Shop

Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
8/21/2018 5:28pm
YZ125. Look for something 2002 and newer
8/21/2018 5:54pm
Used Crf150f or crf230f. Low Maintenance if the are kept in good shape, great resale value.
Stay away from pit bike junk.
kkawboy14
8/21/2018 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2018 5:56pm
4 wheeler! They are easy to go really fast on
8/21/2018 5:56pm
Your budget is going to play a big factor in what type of bike you end up with. Look for a 150 -230 four stroke play bike. You'll have more fun for less money on those. No need for a first timer to end up on a full blown race bike to have a good time.
Chmewy
8/21/2018 6:16pm
Your budget is going to play a big factor in what type of bike you end up with. Look for a 150 -230 four stroke play...
Your budget is going to play a big factor in what type of bike you end up with. Look for a 150 -230 four stroke play bike. You'll have more fun for less money on those. No need for a first timer to end up on a full blown race bike to have a good time.
What exactly is a "play bike"? I looked up 150cc play bike and nothing really came up. Sorry if this is a stupid question :/
jeffro503
8/21/2018 6:36pm
Chmewy wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
You have to make up your mind on what you want to use this bike for. On the street / mild trail rides.....Dual sport bike More...

Chmewy wrote:
I mostly want to just do trails and other off road things. Im new so tracks I feel like would be something I would do later...
I mostly want to just do trails and other off road things. Im new so tracks I feel like would be something I would do later on, but not out of the question. But I still need to be 18 anyways to be able to ride by myself, and I already have a car so I would most likely just buy a street motorcycle on its own if I want to do that. If I was to plan on only riding trails and maybe tracks and im new, what would you suggest I get?
That is a tricky question. There are a lot of great bikes out there , but I would definitely focus on something you could handle ( not scare you power wise ). Like a few mentioned above , a YZ 125 would be a great starter bike. It can teach you the fundemental's the correct way. And depending on budget , maybe even a 250F? But a 125 is something I would definitely lean towards as a first time bike. ( newer the better ) Lot's to learn on tuning , taking care of it and so forth....but the great thing about this sport is , there is always someone at the track willing to help. And if this truly is a sport you want to get involved in , I'll warn you right now......you probably won't want to ever stop. Way more positive's to this sport , then negative's. I hope you decide to stick with it and give it a try. You'll be glad you did.
jeffro503
8/21/2018 6:44pm
Honda CRF150. Something to go hit the trails with and just have fun. They also make a 230cc model as well. Take a close look at both of these bikes , and see how they are designed. By just looking at the YZ , you can tell that bike is made for a track. The CRF is way shorter and a smaller bike ( Even though it's a 150cc ) Don't go by the size of the motor on this.....that YZ would literally destroy that CRF 150. Made for two completely different types of riding. Also.....get yourself to a track , watch some racing , ask question's and maybe get a blue print in your head on what you think you might like.

If you want to learn on a track......YZ 125 is a great starting point , and can also be made to shred the hell out of the track once you get used to it.

Manco
8/21/2018 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2018 6:50pm
Your budget is going to play a big factor in what type of bike you end up with. Look for a 150 -230 four stroke play...
Chmewy wrote:
What exactly is a "play bike"? I looked up 150cc play bike and nothing really came up. Sorry if this is a stupid question :/
If you are looking for a small play bike to start check out Honda CRf150, Yamaha XT200 or Yamaha XT225. You should think about the long run though to save money down the road. Getting something bigger is really the way to go. You couldn't go wrong with a YZ450f though a YZ490 or KX500 would be better. They might seem a little big the first couple of days but once you're settled in you will be glad you went big right away. Its always better to go big and get used to riding big rather then go small and wish you had gone bigger.
mwssquad827
8/21/2018 7:50pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
4 wheeler! They are easy to go really fast on
Yup he wants to cruise the fire roads
calcoast
8/21/2018 10:22pm
How about a Yamaha ttr225. I bought a 2001 for my wife to learn on for $1000 bucks.

Once you get the basics down you can turn around and sell it for what you paid or even more. Then you can get something like a yz125 or 250f
shredder22
8/22/2018 4:01am
Manco wrote:
If you are looking for a small play bike to start check out Honda CRf150, Yamaha XT200 or Yamaha XT225. You should think about the long...
If you are looking for a small play bike to start check out Honda CRf150, Yamaha XT200 or Yamaha XT225. You should think about the long run though to save money down the road. Getting something bigger is really the way to go. You couldn't go wrong with a YZ450f though a YZ490 or KX500 would be better. They might seem a little big the first couple of days but once you're settled in you will be glad you went big right away. Its always better to go big and get used to riding big rather then go small and wish you had gone bigger.
He should buy a kx500 for his first bike????
mxrider971
8/22/2018 5:15am
Go to a local track on practice/race day just to check it out. Don’t be afraid to ask around, a lot of your questions are easier to answer and explain in person.
TXDirt
8/22/2018 5:39am
Get this and thank me later. You're welcome.

kb228
8/22/2018 9:45am
Youre going to need more than $1200 to get a good ride. If its not at LEAST $2000 you wont get anything good or even safe. Most $1200 bikes are clapped or need rebuilt.

That being said, get a 125 2 stroke. You CAN find decent 90’s 2 strokes for $1500 that will be okay
kkawboy14
8/22/2018 10:05am
Manco wrote:
If you are looking for a small play bike to start check out Honda CRf150, Yamaha XT200 or Yamaha XT225. You should think about the long...
shredder22 wrote:
He should buy a kx500 for his first bike????
I would buy a ticket for that maiden voyage!
Chmewy
8/22/2018 11:17am
kb228 wrote:
Youre going to need more than $1200 to get a good ride. If its not at LEAST $2000 you wont get anything good or even safe...
Youre going to need more than $1200 to get a good ride. If its not at LEAST $2000 you wont get anything good or even safe. Most $1200 bikes are clapped or need rebuilt.

That being said, get a 125 2 stroke. You CAN find decent 90’s 2 strokes for $1500 that will be okay
I plan on spending more, that was kinda the sweet spot I guess. I will spend around 2,200 if nessecary, I plan on getting a job up until my swim and polo seasons start and over the summer so I should be good to go
Manco
8/22/2018 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2018 12:36pm
Chmewy wrote:
I plan on spending more, that was kinda the sweet spot I guess. I will spend around 2,200 if nessecary, I plan on getting a job...
I plan on spending more, that was kinda the sweet spot I guess. I will spend around 2,200 if nessecary, I plan on getting a job up until my swim and polo seasons start and over the summer so I should be good to go
Dude, this guy has two bikes for sale in your area that would make for great beginner bikes. Both are YZ490s and they are in your price range. Don't let the big engines turn you off. People say big bikes aren't for beginners, but that is a load of bull. People only say that so they can fluff their feathers and feel like big man tough guys. A big engine is good to learn with because they have a lot of low end torque so taking off and riding at slow speed is simple. With a small bike you always have to finesse the throttle and rev the crap out of the bike to get it to go and they don't ride slow for crap because they don't have any torque. With a big bike all you need to do is be easy on the throttle and let the clutch out slow when you get started. Then you can idle away and slowly ease on the throttle to pick up speed. Soon enough you'll have the skills to be power wheeling at 50mph down dirt roads with a grin from ear to ear.

This 1982 is an older bike with dated technology but its a good a deal.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/1982-yamaha-yz490-2-stroke/6676724811.html

This 1987 is the one to get. For the extra few hundred its got better engine, transmission and suspension.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/1987-yamaha-yz490-2-stroke/6676726158.html

TJMX947
8/22/2018 1:22pm
CRF150F or 230, KLX140...stay away from anything designed for racing. You don't want to be in a viral video of a bike riding a power wheelie and pile-driving you into a tree. XR100/CRF100 aren't bad choices either but are a little smaller.

I started on an XR80 that someone basically gave my dad torn apart in a few boxes, rode it for a month and it crapped out on me. My parents bought me a CR80 to replace it (80cc motocross racing bike), and I basically spent the next year afraid of it. Once you master the controls you'll be ready for a 125, until then get something that is fun to play on

Get on an "internetting" machine and Google "KLX140 set up for motocross" or xr100/crf100 or crf150/230 whatever bike size you feel floats your boat. People basically put stiffer springs on these bikes and ride them on tracks. Its a lot of fun and you're less likely to get killed. Like Jeffro said earlier you'll probably become addicted to the sport and spend all of your money on it.
Fourth_Floor
8/22/2018 2:16pm
If you've never ridden a bigger bike before, don't get a 2-stroke. It will most likely scare the crap out of you and make you not want to ride it. Get a beginner friendly 4-stroke like some of the guys above are suggesting.
Chmewy
8/22/2018 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2018 6:39pm
If you've never ridden a bigger bike before, don't get a 2-stroke. It will most likely scare the crap out of you and make you not...
If you've never ridden a bigger bike before, don't get a 2-stroke. It will most likely scare the crap out of you and make you not want to ride it. Get a beginner friendly 4-stroke like some of the guys above are suggesting.
I have already signed up for some multi day classes on riding dirt bikes and motorcycles in general. Now I know that im not going to be learning to ride them out on the dirt and bumps and all but this is going to give me the practice and experience of riding them in general. I will take the suggestions above and still do my own research as well. I will most likely get the a 125cc or 150cc bike, I will look into the 2 vs 4 stroke but will see on that. It will be multiple months before I can even think about buying one so I will wait and keep researching.
8/24/2018 4:27pm
Beginner: "whats a good first bike?"
Vitalmx: "ideally, you need something with at least 65 horsepower " lol
ti473
8/24/2018 7:12pm
Why settle for a pussy ass 500 that you'll out grow in a week anyway?? Go with this, trust me

Post a reply to: Should I get a Normal Dirt Bike or A Pit Bike?

The Latest