Should I buy a Pit bike?

Edited Date/Time 1/19/2014 10:45am
So I posted a few topics about how my parents won't let me ride. I might have come up with a solution though. I was thinking about buying a pit bike. It's a lot less money, a lot more practical, still loads of fun, and lot less dangerous. Is it worth buying a pit bike? Are they fun or just wastes of money? I feel like if I get a pit bike and love it and continue to show interest in this then my parents might just give in. What you guys think? Pit bike or keep trying for a dirt bike?
|
JM485
1/19/2014 7:31am
If you have the money, pit bikes are super fun! I do think you'll get tired of it though and want a big bike even more.
shredder22
1/19/2014 7:32am
So I posted a few topics about how my parents won't let me ride. I might have come up with a solution though. I was thinking...
So I posted a few topics about how my parents won't let me ride. I might have come up with a solution though. I was thinking about buying a pit bike. It's a lot less money, a lot more practical, still loads of fun, and lot less dangerous. Is it worth buying a pit bike? Are they fun or just wastes of money? I feel like if I get a pit bike and love it and continue to show interest in this then my parents might just give in. What you guys think? Pit bike or keep trying for a dirt bike?
How old are you? That's a bummer they won't let you buy a regular dirt bike. If a kid can post on the internet, they damn well should be allowed to ride a dirt bike.
JOHN CHOATE
1/19/2014 7:36am
Best of luck with whatever you end up getting but I've seen pro riders get banged up goofing around on their pitbikes too. Be smart.
1/19/2014 7:37am
Agreed, pit bikes are a blast. Also not nearly as expensive as a few years ago. Don't buy a cheap off brand one though. There are some decent ones out there, but a good, used Honda 50 with bars, 88 kit, and springs are typically around $800 in my area. They're bulletproof and parts are easy to find vs. some knockoff brands.

The Shop

1/19/2014 7:38am
So I posted a few topics about how my parents won't let me ride. I might have come up with a solution though. I was thinking...
shredder22 wrote:
How old are you? That's a bummer they won't let you buy a regular dirt bike. If a kid can post on the internet, they damn...
How old are you? That's a bummer they won't let you buy a regular dirt bike. If a kid can post on the internet, they damn well should be allowed to ride a dirt bike.
I'm 16 turning 17 in a few months. My parents don't want me riding cuz they don't want me getting hurt. I understand that it's dangerous but that shouldn't hold me back from riding all together. I mean money is a big thing too. I have about $400 saved up so getting a TTR 125 isn't really in my budget until I get a job and start saving because they most certainly aren't going to buy me on or even help to buy me one.
msp138
1/19/2014 7:40am

I love mine. If you buy a crf50 you can learn how to work on a big bike by maintaining it. Its also pretty cheap (about 150) to put a big bore 88cc kit on it and it flies!
JOHN CHOATE
1/19/2014 7:41am
DO NOT buy anything Chinese!! Stick with "made in Japan."
KMC440
1/19/2014 8:00am
Another "I want to ride" thread ... really ...??? Find 2 kawi 110's one for you and one for your pussy assed wimpy dad. They're automatic so unless your father is Stephen fucking Hawking he'll be able to ride, AND start to understand.

Then you can take him high in a corner and brake check his ass to the ground. Then give him the Poto Death Stare!!!

Muhahahahahahaha
1/19/2014 8:30am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2014 8:39am
I picked up this Pep Boys Baja 50 for $50 from my Yamaha dealers service department. It was brought in and never picked up. The rear wheel had exploded.

Bought an EBay new rear wheel ($45), a front rim to match the black rear ($20) which I laced myself, a plastic kit ($25), new seat ($25), an air filter ($10) and an exhaust system ($27). Yeah, it's a Chinese pile, but stock for stock , will smoke a CRF50, makes my nephews stock TTR50 look sick, (which, by the way, has "Made in China" stamped right on the cases, 2012 model).

Runs good, does not smoke, why not use it up ?

I beat the piss out of it, weigh right at 200lbs, (fat ass), and if it breaks, ( which it has not in over three years of ownership by me), I do not feel bad for the $$ I have in it. If nothing else, it will allow you to learn the basics of riding and wrenching, without a lot of $$ outlay.

jndmx
1/19/2014 9:17am
OK allow me to be the voice of the parent in the room.....lol.

Your folks aren't keen on the idea of you riding becaue they don't want you to get hurt.
So instead you go buy a pit bike which you will probably ride with street clothes and a cheap helmet cause "it's only a pit bike".

So when you're at your buddy's house and you wreck it riding around the backyard and bust your arm or scrape the shit out of your back in someones driveway doing wheelies is that going to help your cause?

I say this as the father of a kid who rode and raced for 12 years...believe me I am not against anyone riding.

If you want your parents to understand and go along you need to play the long game not try and trick your way around.
Continue to save money and show how serious you are, try and get them to watch some races with you or go to a local one and see the families that all do it.
You might be surprised at what they think after seeing that side.
Bring them to Winchester Speedpark in New Hampshire this spring and I will talk with them myself.....I am the announcer there.

If all else fails you will be 18 soon and will have the money saved to do what you want.
JRMX59
1/19/2014 9:25am
Oh hell yeah, and it doesnt matter how old you are. Also, we all know pitbikes are the gateway drug to MX bikes. My addictions is going on 45 yrs!!!!
1/19/2014 9:25am
If things don't change I will definitely stop by Winchester. I want nothing more to even just ride a pit bike, I just want to ride in general! I mean my parents are completely adamant and will not budge.
mx836
1/19/2014 9:51am
Like mentioned above, I think your best bet would be to bring them to some races and talk to other parents that have done it. Yeah, it's dangerous, but it's worth it. I can't even count how many times someone told me they wanted a dirt bike as a kid and there parents never let them. I don't even know if it was an option for me.
1/19/2014 10:11am
mx836 wrote:
Like mentioned above, I think your best bet would be to bring them to some races and talk to other parents that have done it. Yeah...
Like mentioned above, I think your best bet would be to bring them to some races and talk to other parents that have done it. Yeah, it's dangerous, but it's worth it. I can't even count how many times someone told me they wanted a dirt bike as a kid and there parents never let them. I don't even know if it was an option for me.
I'm going to have to disagree with the whole bring your skeptical parents to a race thing. The reason is that racing and track riding in general looks even more dangerous than it is to any type of new spectator and by bringing your parents there you are probably only going to solidify their opinions...especially if someone crashes and gets hurt while you're watching (which is almost guaranteed during a race weekend).

However I do think getting a pit or trail bike is a much better idea. Ideally I think if you can get a used trail bike like a ttr125 and put some stiffer fork springs in (about $60) you will have a durable bike that you won't get bored of and can learn how to ride on. It has a clutch so you will learn that, plus it is a nice intermediate size that you will be able to work on body positioning and general riding technique. You could ride this for a couple years and then upgrade to a big bike if you still want and you will have a lot more fun on the big bike than if you had just jumped on a race bike right away.

If you have a friend to trail ride and race pit bikes with they will never get old and in many ways are more fun than big bikes. I know I have considered selling my 250 2 stroke to get a ttr125 or klx140 to race with my brother and friends because I honestly have more fun, it costs less, and the risk of serious injury is pretty low.

So short version: getting a pit /trail bike is a great idea because you have a better chance of winning your parents over, will have an easier time learning, will save $$$, and will probably have way more fun. Just my opinion based on experience having learned to ride trail bikes as a teenager and not moving to tracks until I was older.
1/19/2014 10:20am
Where do yo work?! You're young. You don't have any bills. You should be able to save up for a slightly older bike pretty quick. I saved up five grand for my first car just working 4 hours after school and working Saturdays.
jwhitemx15
1/19/2014 10:20am
I've seen many kids get hurt on pit bikes too, but sounds like that is your best option at this point.

Either way, get a pit bike, a good helmet, and never ride without a good pair of boots. Good boots are still cheaper than an ER visit for a broken ankle.

Good luck and have fun.
KMC440
1/19/2014 10:26am
mx836 wrote:
Like mentioned above, I think your best bet would be to bring them to some races and talk to other parents that have done it. Yeah...
Then in practice some kids get together and one has to be heliported out.... game over

Your dad put a Oury grip around you and your brothers bottles when you were babies..... he told me. You had no choice but to ride.

It was your DESTINY..... (loud symphonic sounds here for effect)
mx836
1/19/2014 10:29am
mx836 wrote:
Spongebob wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with the whole bring your skeptical parents to a race thing. The reason is that racing and track riding in...
I'm going to have to disagree with the whole bring your skeptical parents to a race thing. The reason is that racing and track riding in general looks even more dangerous than it is to any type of new spectator and by bringing your parents there you are probably only going to solidify their opinions...especially if someone crashes and gets hurt while you're watching (which is almost guaranteed during a race weekend).

However I do think getting a pit or trail bike is a much better idea. Ideally I think if you can get a used trail bike like a ttr125 and put some stiffer fork springs in (about $60) you will have a durable bike that you won't get bored of and can learn how to ride on. It has a clutch so you will learn that, plus it is a nice intermediate size that you will be able to work on body positioning and general riding technique. You could ride this for a couple years and then upgrade to a big bike if you still want and you will have a lot more fun on the big bike than if you had just jumped on a race bike right away.

If you have a friend to trail ride and race pit bikes with they will never get old and in many ways are more fun than big bikes. I know I have considered selling my 250 2 stroke to get a ttr125 or klx140 to race with my brother and friends because I honestly have more fun, it costs less, and the risk of serious injury is pretty low.

So short version: getting a pit /trail bike is a great idea because you have a better chance of winning your parents over, will have an easier time learning, will save $$$, and will probably have way more fun. Just my opinion based on experience having learned to ride trail bikes as a teenager and not moving to tracks until I was older.
At the race they can find nice, responsible racers that can point them in the right direction to safe riding habits or possibly a riding coach to get them started. I understand your points about confirming that it's dangerous if someone gets hurt, but they already know that. Might as well try to show them the good side of the sport that most people don't see. Apparently we have many different opinions though, because I would never consider selling a moto bike to ride pit bikes. Sure, they are fun, but there is no comparison. And there is still no saying they will let the youngster get a pit bike. What's the difference to oblivious parents between a 250f or KLX 140? My guess, nothing.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
1/19/2014 10:30am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2014 10:32am
klx 110L for the win, comes with a clutch and 4 gears.

THe only bad thing I will say is I think they break down easier than a big bike.
mx836
1/19/2014 10:32am
mx836 wrote:
KMC440 wrote:
Then in practice some kids get together and one has to be heliported out.... game over Your dad put a Oury grip around you and your...
Then in practice some kids get together and one has to be heliported out.... game over

Your dad put a Oury grip around you and your brothers bottles when you were babies..... he told me. You had no choice but to ride.

It was your DESTINY..... (loud symphonic sounds here for effect)
Hahaha I hear ya. He's screwed either way. Wait until you're 18 then flip the parents the bird. Get a bike and some tats. Find a filthy white trash hooker, and hit the track.
LoudLove
1/19/2014 10:45am
You parents concerns are justifiable. Off-road riding can cause significant injuries, and the numbers will back that claim. And while I've ridden for 35+ years, I'm not encouraging my sons to ride. Hurting myself is one thing; my kids getting hurt is something very different.

Nearly everyone on this board rides and loves doing so. I'd also venture that nearly everyone has made at least one trip to the hospital as a result. As mentioned earlier, pits bikes can cause injuries just like the big bikes. If you and your parents cannot come to terms, plead find another hobby, as few things are worth alienating the most important people in your life.

PS: do not take them to a MX event. Chances are nearly 100% someone gets carted off, and the redneck factor is high. However, if your folks are the type that might enjoy a tractor pull, then MX could be their cup of tea.

Post a reply to: Should I buy a Pit bike?

The Latest