Should Eli race MXGP 2020

Prejump
10/18/2018 2:28am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2018 6:51pm
If Tomac wins the next SX championship, it could be the first step to MXGP racing in 2020.

He could race the nationals. Then head to Lommel for a few weeks testing, before racing the MXON.

Then have a proper off season of rest, followed by euro testing for a 2020 campaign of MXGP.

IMO setting a target of top 5 overall series classification would be better for first year. Gain the experience & learn the circuits without over riding like RV did.

Then shoot for for a world title over the next few years.

People say an mxgp in usa wouldnt be supported well, but Eli holding the red plate in the closing stages of the season might change people views a bit.

Poll

Should Eli race MXGP 2020

Choices
|
Motofinne
10/18/2018 2:31am
He should do what he wants. And i'm 99% certain that he wants to race SX and US nationals since he can live in his own country and he can make more money.

With that said, i would love to see him race a season or two in the GPs.
DeStouwer
10/18/2018 2:33am
Would I like to see it? Yes.

Will it happen? No.

The Shop

WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
10/18/2018 3:46am
He will make a long career, he is like good wine but he will not move from the USA imo.
chadder44
10/18/2018 4:46am
Man it's a pipe dream but I honestly wish he would go this year. As a fan, watching our best guy win the same old series again feels almost empty. Ideally it would be perfect to have indoor supercross here in the US over the Winter, and then a smaller USA national series on the off weekends of a shortened MXGP season. I can't think of another sport that has two separate series that both consider themselves the top series. It seems counterproductive for the sports growth. Let's figure out a way for these guys to compete against each other without costing them any money. 12 supercross and 12 MXGPs? With 4-6 US Nationals on off weekends?
10/18/2018 4:55am
As much as I dream of a full MXGP series with Tomac and Herling going at it I also think it would be a stupid decision for Tomac to do so. He makes a tone of cash racing in the US and gets to live the way he appears he wants too. Thats not to say I don't believe he would be competitive in Europe if he committed 100%.
Moto96
10/18/2018 5:51am
No.

By 2020, Eli is going to be kicking back looking at the equivalent of the snowcapped Alps in his back yard shooting deer and elk and barbequeing some chow and counting money.
Because of this, I got a lot of respect for guys like Cairoli who dont need to do this shit anymore.

kb228
10/18/2018 6:13am
Mxgp isnt the next step after sx?? Lol dude sx IS the top. Eli will stay here where he makes more money.
10/18/2018 6:31am
kb228 wrote:
Mxgp isnt the next step after sx?? Lol dude sx IS the top. Eli will stay here where he makes more money.
Maybe he should try to win a SX title first.... and I'm sure he doesn't want his ass kicked every other week by Herlings, so he better stay in the US.
10/18/2018 6:53am
I'd like to see him race the last couple of GP's and MXoN in 2019 first.
FuzzyLogic
10/18/2018 7:14am
How many of you would shell out the $150 for the MXGP TV pass if he were to do it? Money would be the only reason for him to go over there. Spare me the " No, he would so he could prove he's faster!" Eli has a 10-12 year window to make enough money to last him the rest of his days. Living overseas away from home racing a 7 month series would need to make cents Smile
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
10/18/2018 7:18am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 7:19am
Moto96 wrote:
No. By 2020, Eli is going to be kicking back looking at the equivalent of the snowcapped Alps in his back yard shooting deer and elk...
No.

By 2020, Eli is going to be kicking back looking at the equivalent of the snowcapped Alps in his back yard shooting deer and elk and barbequeing some chow and counting money.
Because of this, I got a lot of respect for guys like Cairoli who dont need to do this shit anymore.

So what you're saying is that 2019 will be Eli's last year? Don't think so.
10/18/2018 7:50am
If he's not going to, I never wanna read anymore of this "FMOTP" bollox.
Likewise for Herlings then. Come do the full series here, US SX & MX. Then he can call himself FMOTP
TDeath21
10/18/2018 7:51am
That’s where the best are. Depends if he wants to be considered one of the best or not.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/18/2018 8:00am
Likewise for Herlings then. Come do the full series here, US SX & MX. Then he can call himself FMOTP
2020 when Tomac goes over to Europe? Like an exchange program
kb228
10/18/2018 8:38am
X2. Herlings needs to race sx. Prove himself in both. Tomac has.
10/18/2018 8:51am
chadder44 wrote:
Man it's a pipe dream but I honestly wish he would go this year. As a fan, watching our best guy win the same old series...
Man it's a pipe dream but I honestly wish he would go this year. As a fan, watching our best guy win the same old series again feels almost empty. Ideally it would be perfect to have indoor supercross here in the US over the Winter, and then a smaller USA national series on the off weekends of a shortened MXGP season. I can't think of another sport that has two separate series that both consider themselves the top series. It seems counterproductive for the sports growth. Let's figure out a way for these guys to compete against each other without costing them any money. 12 supercross and 12 MXGPs? With 4-6 US Nationals on off weekends?
What about boxing? There are at least more than 10 championships that call themselves worldchampionships and the top series in boxing.
And no , i'm not talking about the different weight divisions.
DPR250R
10/18/2018 8:58am
What about boxing? There are at least more than 10 championships that call themselves worldchampionships and the top series in boxing. And no , i'm not...
What about boxing? There are at least more than 10 championships that call themselves worldchampionships and the top series in boxing.
And no , i'm not talking about the different weight divisions.
Basketball, Hockey, Baseball... etc... etc.

Not that I am against AMA vs GP for a couple races but we can co-exist and the bragging rights of who is best outside can go back and forth.
MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
10/18/2018 9:05am
It's very peculiar to suggest that a world champion needs to win titles in a particular nation to prove himself. It takes a special kind of hubris to make such a suggestion.
Moto96
10/18/2018 9:20am
Moto96 wrote:
No. By 2020, Eli is going to be kicking back looking at the equivalent of the snowcapped Alps in his back yard shooting deer and elk...
No.

-MAVERICK- wrote:
So what you're saying is that 2019 will be Eli's last year? Don't think so.
It could be 2025. RV wouldnt have either if he didnt need to finish out a contract.

early
Fantasy
2139th
10/18/2018 9:28am
I believe Eli signed a 2 year extension last year. Maybe some money gets ponied up to bring him over for the 2021 series. If any company wants to get a race win in the near future this would probably be the best option.
Prejump
10/18/2018 10:55am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 10:57am
I just think its a shame so many of you guys put so much focus on money.

An SX champ or MXGP champ will both be paid very well anyway.

Herlings will go down History as the best MX rider in the world at a given time. He's earned that. To me that is priceless,
one day when he's very old he will still be remembered for his world dominance. He will tell his grand kids so many amazing stories.

People remember, value & respect achievements, that's what stands the test of time. Not how much revenue you made.

Right now there is an opportunity of a elite US rider to earn that title, go down in history as an undisputed worlds best rider. How they can think riding comedy events where people pull over for cash bonuses comes anywhere near the legacy a world champion leaves is totally beyond me.
keinz
10/18/2018 11:34am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 11:54am
If you wanna be the best in the world, you have to race nowadays MXGP. Otherwise you are just a national champ, or blind, or stupid, if you consider yourself a best in the world How many national champs we have in MXGP? US national champ just one of them.That's it
Did you ever learned something from the last seven years from MXDN?
End of discussion.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/18/2018 4:09pm
While I respect Keinz's post and opinion, I think it illustrates a common misconception. Lots of MXGP fans consider the World Championships the highest level playing field on the planet, and more importantly, the AMA Nationals like any other national championship series.
Although it could be reasonably argued today that MXGP is the top series, it has not been the case for many, many years beforehand. The AMA Nationals were once (and will be again, I believe,) the hottest crucible of competition in the world. This is why we won so many MXDNs and why the best Europeans came here to race. There was the "World Champion," and then the "true" champion: the AMA National Champ.
That scenario is clearly not the case anymore, but even today any top-10 AMA rider would likely be considered a top contender - if not a sure thing - for the championship in any other country. It would be the same as if a top MXGP guy decided to race the British Nationals, Canadian Nationals or the German Nationals.
My point is that you cannot equate "AMA National Champion" with any other national series title. It is more on the same level as MXGP. Diminished in 2018 for sure, but still far above any other national series.
KDXGarage
10/18/2018 4:12pm
Anyone else's screen showing this??

DPR250R
10/18/2018 5:49pm
Falcon wrote:
While I respect Keinz's post and opinion, I think it illustrates a common misconception. Lots of MXGP fans consider the World Championships the highest level playing...
While I respect Keinz's post and opinion, I think it illustrates a common misconception. Lots of MXGP fans consider the World Championships the highest level playing field on the planet, and more importantly, the AMA Nationals like any other national championship series.
Although it could be reasonably argued today that MXGP is the top series, it has not been the case for many, many years beforehand. The AMA Nationals were once (and will be again, I believe,) the hottest crucible of competition in the world. This is why we won so many MXDNs and why the best Europeans came here to race. There was the "World Champion," and then the "true" champion: the AMA National Champ.
That scenario is clearly not the case anymore, but even today any top-10 AMA rider would likely be considered a top contender - if not a sure thing - for the championship in any other country. It would be the same as if a top MXGP guy decided to race the British Nationals, Canadian Nationals or the German Nationals.
My point is that you cannot equate "AMA National Champion" with any other national series title. It is more on the same level as MXGP. Diminished in 2018 for sure, but still far above any other national series.
You shouldn't have even had to type that. If these guys want to play it that way, it will come back to haunt them.

It's getting old.

I still chuckle at the "world" title when so many of our "national" guys have beaten them. It goes back and forth, both are amazing series. I am just happy the coverage for all 3 seems to be getting better year after year.
DonM
10/18/2018 7:05pm
Prejump wrote:
I just think its a shame so many of you guys put so much focus on money. An SX champ or MXGP champ will both be...
I just think its a shame so many of you guys put so much focus on money.

An SX champ or MXGP champ will both be paid very well anyway.

Herlings will go down History as the best MX rider in the world at a given time. He's earned that. To me that is priceless,
one day when he's very old he will still be remembered for his world dominance. He will tell his grand kids so many amazing stories.

People remember, value & respect achievements, that's what stands the test of time. Not how much revenue you made.

Right now there is an opportunity of a elite US rider to earn that title, go down in history as an undisputed worlds best rider. How they can think riding comedy events where people pull over for cash bonuses comes anywhere near the legacy a world champion leaves is totally beyond me.
LOL!!! Ok dude...whatever....what is it they say?... opinions are like assholes....can't wait for this years trolling period to end...

Post a reply to: Should Eli race MXGP 2020

The Latest