Should E-Start be allowed in professional SX/MX?

Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 5:39am
E-Start has it's positives and negatives I guess. I see the positives as it avoids valuable points being lost from a stubborn 4-stroke that won't kick over. Then I heard some guy the other day say "damn puss-eez* can't even kick start their bikes anymore" and he got me thinking...

E-start definitely makes the sport "easier". It can benefit riders who may not be in top shape to get moving again after a crash/tip over. It could be argued that E-start takes part of the penalty away from stalling or crashing...our former champions did not have them and it's clear our future champs have a new luxury with their new "easy" button.

What do you think? Stick to the traditional "gotta be able to start it to ride it" kick starter, or move forward with the "Easy" button?
|
1/8/2018 6:16pm
"Then I heard some guy the other day say 'damn puss-eez' can't even kick start their bikes anymore"

Good thing we still start our cars and trucks with hand cranks, don't want any fucking wimps starting their automobiles with electricity or something.
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
1/8/2018 6:16pm
Get rid of the engine too, pedals work fine. How about those new wooden wheels they're developing? We can swap out our massive semi trucks for steam cars while we're at it.
ob
1/8/2018 6:17pm
Seriously?

The Shop

motogrady
1/8/2018 6:28pm

Imho, yes. As long as 400 models are available to general public, with ample time for the privateer to become accustomed to the bike as say, the factory team riders do.

Progress should not be denied, unless it creates an uneven playing field, for all entrants involved.
Martini637
1/8/2018 6:30pm
"E-start definitely makes the sport "easier". It can benefit riders who may not be in top shape to get moving again after a crash/tip over."

I highly highly doubt pros that dont have a magic button are worried that they arent in good enough shape to kick their bike if they do crash...why is this even a post?
Tonynz
1/8/2018 6:31pm
Thought they had been on the bikes since 2007,
peelout
1/8/2018 6:31pm
if your bike doesn't have the button then f*ck you
1/8/2018 6:35pm
You don't have e-start, huh?
I think they're great for everyone. After hearing some other perspectives on their place in the C'ship series it made me think...MC, RC, JS, RV, and all previous champs didn't have them, so it's definitely a change in the "requirements" to win a race or championship. Riders will never have to struggle with kicking their bikes over again after they crash crash....that's a great insurance policy to have.

Some of the comparisons above are a bit over the top.
JMR1976
1/8/2018 6:47pm
No estart or kickstarter. Those both make things way to easy. I personally push start my bike uphill. I’m a man though.
motogrady
1/8/2018 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 6:54pm
You don't have e-start, huh?
I think they're great for everyone. After hearing some other perspectives on their place in the C'ship series it made me think...MC, RC, JS, RV, and...
I think they're great for everyone. After hearing some other perspectives on their place in the C'ship series it made me think...MC, RC, JS, RV, and all previous champs didn't have them, so it's definitely a change in the "requirements" to win a race or championship. Riders will never have to struggle with kicking their bikes over again after they crash crash....that's a great insurance policy to have.

That list could go all the way back to the 1940s.
Suspension travel, brakes, weight, one could say motocross stopped being a mans sport when Jeff Smith retired.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Smith_(motorcyclist)
Ron_Shuler
1/8/2018 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 6:53pm
I can't believe this is even a topic BlinkUnsureDry Like the AMA would take E start away
mb60
1/8/2018 7:05pm
Ron_Shuler wrote:
I can't believe this is even a topic BlinkUnsureDry Like the AMA would take E start away
Somehow I doubt the people at the AMA knows which bike has a E start and those that don't.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/8/2018 7:11pm
MotoGP bikes dont have starters at all.
sixeightynine
1/8/2018 7:16pm
The kicker on Eli's green machine made for an exciting points battle. But then again, so did the brake failure and Mother Nature.

E-start is our new reality. Like it or not.
Crush
1/8/2018 7:31pm
Good luck changing that.

The start hooks can piss off tho!
1/8/2018 8:35pm
early wrote:
MotoGP bikes dont have starters at all.
Ding Ding Ding!

Is it because MotoGP doesn't have the technology yet??? Laughing They could have put starters on GP bikes 50+ years ago but instead they reward riders for staying on two wheels and still penalize the mistakes.

Based on some of the responses above we'll soon have retractable hydraulic training wheels, windshields so the poor kids don't get hit by roost, oxygen tanks for breathing, AC units for body cooling, airbags, and maybe even deployable carbon roll cages in SX/MX? This is all easily done with technology, so why not?? LMAO
Cygrace74
1/8/2018 8:43pm
I think they're great for everyone. After hearing some other perspectives on their place in the C'ship series it made me think...MC, RC, JS, RV, and...

There bikes also didn't have hydraulic clutches, data acquisition, holeshot devices on forks and the shock, map switches. Lets just stop all the progression and keep struggling.
1/8/2018 8:46pm
they should be allowed what ever the bike is sold with for a starter

but to add to your point, the bikes shouldn't have start devices, ecu, all these sensors n shit. they are professional they should know what the bike is doing and how to ride it. should be next to stock but allow basic changes, suspension, wheels, exhaust, levers and bars.

just as baseball professionals must use wood bats, and football players shouldn't have these sticky gloves to catch.

amateurs can do what ever but once your a pro, lets see what you really got.

would also help the manufacture push for better bikes to the public to make better bikes for their guys to race.
motoXracer971
1/8/2018 8:47pm

Agree, it's a huge advantage. KTM has had the button for 10 years so everyone has had plenty of time to follow suit, they just haven't until recently. Now that Honda & Yamaha have them, I'd think the '19 Kawi will get one too since it's supposed to be all new.
resetjet
1/9/2018 9:17am
Funny when you look at these posts from 5 years ago.......Opinions change......

I won't buy a bike without a button.....
zehn
1/9/2018 9:23am
I know it's early, but I nominate this as Dumbest Thread of the Year for 2018
KMC440
1/9/2018 10:18am
Some village is trying figure how it's idiot got access to a computer.

Post a reply to: Should E-Start be allowed in professional SX/MX?

The Latest