Should Anderson have pulled in at Salt Lake?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2018 3:48 PM

Haven't heard anything on this topic until DV's PulpMX column today:

"I’m still questioning if the wheel needed to be changed or not actually. He lost a lot of time doing so and maybe he would’ve lost less time riding safe with a busted up wheel than stop."

Of course only Anderson knows how that wheel was actually doing out there, but I'm interested in opinions on the question especially since a title was on the line.

Also, DV seems to be implying that it's possible to move through the pack while "riding safe with a busted up wheel"...which suggests that he thinks the slower riders are really slow, or just has an interesting definition of "riding safe".

Photo

|

4/30/2018 3:52 PM

Why chance the wheel exploding on the landing of a triple? Or folding over trying to scrub the single onto the start straight? Or even the whoops for that matter. Cant blame Jason for pulling in. I'd be way to worried about my well being.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/30/2018 3:54 PM

35 point lead and some broken spokes, he made the right call. if he was down by 5, go for broke and hope for the best

|

4/30/2018 3:58 PM

I wouldnt even ride my own bike with bent spokes let alone lose like 6 and try to race supercross

|

4/30/2018 3:59 PM

Supercross with broken spokes!? Not me!!!

|

4/30/2018 4:01 PM

Coming from someone who’s front wheel exploding and breaking bones as a result, he 100% made the right call.

|

4/30/2018 4:12 PM

I want to say there were three successive spokes on one side that were broken..? That's way too much one-sided tension over a large area. I really think he made the right call, it's just a bummer that it took so long to swap. Who knows, those six points could be straight gold come Saturday.

|

4/30/2018 4:14 PM

Justin345 wrote:

Coming from someone who’s front wheel exploding and breaking bones as a result, he 100% made the right call.

Exactly!

I’ve had a rear wheel explode and feel very lucky to have gotten away un-injured. He made the right decision IMO

|

4/30/2018 4:16 PM

That track was pretty rough too. He was awesome in my opinion for going back out and picking up a couple of points.

|

4/30/2018 4:19 PM

Not for the entire race, maybe if there was like 5 minutes left and something happened nurse it to the end, but an entire race, nah. Plus he obviously didn't know how many were broken, just that they were broken.

|

4/30/2018 4:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2018 4:23 PM

Didn’t he just sign on for four years with Husky? I doubt they wanted him out there with a front wheel that could go at any minute, either.

|

4/30/2018 4:23 PM

He absolutely did what he had to do. No way in hell that wheel would have survived.

|

4/30/2018 4:26 PM

Yeah he made the right call. Up 35 you play it safe there. Was it really a long time to change the wheel? I honestly don’t know what quick is in that situation. It looked to me like it might have been Peick that caused that, not Tomac like the broadcast said. Obviously not either one’s fault and was not intentional at all.

|

4/30/2018 4:35 PM

Spokes are like sprocket bolts. They always have to be tight.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

4/30/2018 5:15 PM

He got it fixed.
Then, he went back out there and picked up 6 points versus the 1 or 2 points he would've gotten by going back to the truck.
Every point matters.
He did it right.

For the record, C-Lo and the guys did it right, too.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

4/30/2018 5:16 PM

I bet Axel Hodges would have just wheelied the whole race, surprised nobody thought of that as an option.

|

4/30/2018 5:21 PM

If he goes for it, wads up the wheel, and gets hurt before Vegas, he has zero chance. I think he made the right call, especially with the points lead that he had.

|

4/30/2018 5:22 PM

He made the right call, no discussion needed.

|

4/30/2018 5:44 PM

Fixed it for ya

TeamGreen wrote:
He got it fixed.
Then, he went back out there and picked up 6 points versus the 1 or 2 points he would've gotten by going back to the truck, like Eli would have done.
Every point matters.
He did it right.

|

4/30/2018 5:48 PM

DF313 wrote:

I bet Axel Hodges would have just wheelied the whole race, surprised nobody thought of that as an option.

Photo
|

4/30/2018 6:13 PM

Carlton_Fartman wrote:

Fixed it for ya

TeamGreen wrote:
He got it fixed.
Then, he went back out there and picked up 6 points versus the 1 or 2 points he would've gotten by going back to the truck, like Eli would have done.
Every point matters.
He did it right.

Carlton,

I'm very disappointed in your mean and hurtful post. I'm going to have to send you to Sensitivty Training.

laughing

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

4/30/2018 6:20 PM

David would’ve done the same thing. How is this even a question?

|

4/30/2018 6:51 PM

Carlton_Fartman wrote:

Fixed it for ya

TeamGreen wrote:
He got it fixed.
Every point matters.
He did it right.

You guys must have forgot about Tomac at Glenn Helen last year. 14th to 2nd first moto. Pulled in first lap of moto 2 with locked up brake. Went back out lap and a half down and rode the hills of Glenn Helen for 30 min with no front brake to 19th for 1 point.
Racing is about going fast and winning races, and nobody does that better than Tomac. I don't get all the negative stuff about him. In 20 years I won't remeber or care who won a championship in 2018. But I will remember watching Tomac flat out smoke the Best AMA and GP guys at Glenn Helen. The guy is spectacular when he's dialed in.

|

4/30/2018 6:51 PM

peelout wrote:

35 point lead and some broken spokes, he made the right call. if he was down by 5, go for broke and hope for the best

exactly

|

4/30/2018 6:52 PM

Sometimes you have to question basic common sense to try to drum up readership.....

|

4/30/2018 7:18 PM

You mean spokes aren't just for decoration and have a purpose? Alright, then I guess maybe he did the right thing by pulling in. Don't tell anybody I didn't know okay?

|

4/30/2018 7:26 PM

100 % yes

|

4/30/2018 7:30 PM

Haven't i seen mechanics cut broken ones out with bolt cutters? Im not sure how many broken ones before its unsafe.

|

4/30/2018 7:34 PM

Any amount of spikes gone is unsafe for a pro in supercross or even motocross. Especially for an entire main event. Maybe DVs been hitting too much of that cali green.

|

4/30/2018 7:37 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Haven't i seen mechanics cut broken ones out with bolt cutters? Im not sure how many broken ones before its unsafe.

Absolutely they have cut them out with bolt cutters, but only when lacing up a new rim at the shop! tongue

|