Shopping at Dealers?

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
5/30/2018 9:49am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can...
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can. (I ask my wife why every purchase she makes needs a delivery truck and a cardboard box, since she is an A class online shopper)
But I recently bought a new helmet, boots, body armor (Fox Titan) and goggles. I couldn't imagine buying this stuff without checking it out and handling it. Especially the helmet, since I bought the Shoei VFX Evo because it felt so good when I tried it on. Maybe it's stupid to pay extra to keep those people employed and the lights on, but I guess I'm old school.
rmoto003 wrote:
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola! RMATV...
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola!

RMATV has the size guarantee so you can swap it out if it doesnt fit. IDK, Ive never had an issue buying online and theres more to choose from than whats on the dealership racks.

Not knocking dealerships, I dont know how they stock half they parts/gear they do stock. From a business standpoint that has to be a shitty ROI since stuff might sit on the shelves for years and everyone expects the "BROOO lemme get a 10% discount BCUZ I RIDE!!!"

IMO dealerships should only stock fluids and stuff, and have an "online" store for people to order stuff through them with since a dealership can usually get it shipped to the dealership next day. Basically be a small RMATV or Motosport, just 1 day delayed and for a small markup since they wouldnt need to keep anything in stock.
A viola is a musical instrument. Voila is the exclamation you’re looking for.

Most dealers can stock gear because they can package the sale in with the financing on a new bike sale. It’s especially profitable with helmets and sales to street bike riders.

As for the discount, that’s really where a dealer can compete and should make efforts to do so. Online stores have to sell at MAP but can usually sell below that using coupon codes, however it doesn’t apply to some brands such as Fox and aStars. A dealer Can apply counter discounts to sell these products for a better deal than online retailers.

Selling the same product for a higher price and relying on the goodwill of your customers is not a great business model.

Micahdogg
5/30/2018 1:09pm
AZRider wrote:
When i moved to Georgia last year i checked out all the local dealerships. Having been a former shop owner, i always prefer to buy local...
When i moved to Georgia last year i checked out all the local dealerships. Having been a former shop owner, i always prefer to buy local. Since moving here i have found 1 dealer out of 6 with decent customer service. I do buy from them when i can but even their selection is crap. If i have to order what i want it would be insane to wait longer and pay more, so RM gets most of my motorcycle spend which is a few hundred a month between me and my sons bike needs. Poor customer service is what hurts brick and mortar way more than online sales.
I checked out an area dealer about an hour away - work had me going by their shop every month. They were so nice and the parts guy let me look at his personal F2 Carbon helmet and figure out the size I needed. I ordered a clearance F2 helmet online for half the price, but I stopped back in there a few times and bought plugs, premix, chain spray, etc... just because they were good folks. They made me want to patronize them. And I'm sure I'll go back in there and buy some gloves or something.
NorCal 50+
5/30/2018 2:26pm
It sounds like the choice between dealer and online has everything to do with the local dealer's customer service. There are a lot of "cool guys" in this industry who suck to deal with, but there are a lot of good ones too.
It seems like dealers should be doing everything they can to develop an online business and compete with the online shops. I do use Motosport also- they are really good and the stuff shows up quickly.
Maybe we will get to the point where dealers exist only to buy and service bikes. When I used to sell bikes, there were many buyers that needed to be steered through the purchase of accessories. Dealers used to serve as the information hubs of their local scenes- I just wonder how long the current model can be sustained.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/30/2018 2:33pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
It sounds like the choice between dealer and online has everything to do with the local dealer's customer service. There are a lot of "cool guys"...
It sounds like the choice between dealer and online has everything to do with the local dealer's customer service. There are a lot of "cool guys" in this industry who suck to deal with, but there are a lot of good ones too.
It seems like dealers should be doing everything they can to develop an online business and compete with the online shops. I do use Motosport also- they are really good and the stuff shows up quickly.
Maybe we will get to the point where dealers exist only to buy and service bikes. When I used to sell bikes, there were many buyers that needed to be steered through the purchase of accessories. Dealers used to serve as the information hubs of their local scenes- I just wonder how long the current model can be sustained.
I trust a spec sheet and random internet user reviews before a salesman 99% of the time.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
5/30/2018 2:56pm
Jt$ wrote:
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to...
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to keep the doors open and I have seen a lesser but still impressive amount doing very well. It's still possible and occurring.
Hey JT- Do you have any insight into why some dealers are doing okay, and others are not, beyond the obvious?
EMARacing
5/30/2018 3:06pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
How many people are doing regular business with dealers these days? I am finding myself going to a local shop to rely on local expertise, since...
How many people are doing regular business with dealers these days? I am finding myself going to a local shop to rely on local expertise, since I am new to the area. I think a good local shop makes a big difference, but I don't think everybody feels that way.
I am willing to spend a few extra dollars to try accessories on at a shop, and have some people to discuss product with etc. Maybe I am old school but I love going into dealers. It's a part of the motorcycling experience I would hate to see fade away.
Sincerely, thank you!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/30/2018 3:22pm
I'd love to spend more with my local dealer, but more than half the time I know more than they do. Shoot, 90% of the time I have to look up all the oem part numbers because they never order the right stuff. On top of that, they can't come close to RM's pricing. I saved quite a bit ordering everything for my bike through them and I had everything in two days. Dealer couldn't do that for me. Plus the closest dealer than can get everything in a timely manner is 30+ minutes away and I can't get there until the weekend because of their hours and my work schedule.

I'll go to the local shop to pick up oils and chemicals when I need them right away, but it comes at a price and they don't always have what I need. Shops around here aren't what they use to be. There's a few I would love to deal with, but they've moved on to only doing suspension and bike work now. So online is where I go because I have a wife and two kids and need to save everywhere I possibly can.
Jt$
5/30/2018 3:33pm
Jt$ wrote:
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to...
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to keep the doors open and I have seen a lesser but still impressive amount doing very well. It's still possible and occurring.
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Hey JT- Do you have any insight into why some dealers are doing okay, and others are not, beyond the obvious?
There are a ton of factors. SxS business is a savior for most. The dealers who fully commit to stocking products so the local customers KNOW it's in stock and grow accustomed to going and getting it that day, they seem to be still succeeding. It's not an easy fight but utilizing FREE advertising like social media is a huge part of the equation. Most of the dealer success I see comes from word of mouth and creation of loyal customers. That comes from great customer service, dealers who are willing to price match and find solutions in every situation, thinking outside the box for how to create door swings (advertising, social, trackside vending to promote visibility, etc). I know for 100% certainty that refusing to stock products will lead to 100% chance of not selling them.
JustMX
5/30/2018 3:52pm
The lack of dealers that are knowledgeable and/or interested about moto has to be another contributer to the slow death of grass roots, local motocross racing.

I don't know if I would have been able to get into racing without the help of a great parts guy.

Just the most patient and helpful guy. I know a lot of you older guys probably had a similar experience.

I wish I could remember his last name, but it has been almost 40 years. Thanks Mike at easy living yamaha in Rome georgia back in 1979 until 1981.

wreckitrandy
5/30/2018 4:57pm
Overheard at my buddies shop. Just used bikes, repairs, a few parts, accessories and chemicals... "I need points and condenser for a '72 CB750." My buddy got out the book, gave him the price and said, "They should be here Friday. Will it be cash or credit card?" The guy looked at him for a few seconds all disgusted like and said, "You mean you don't have parts for a Honda in stock? This is a motorcycle shop ain't it?"
8tensolutions
5/30/2018 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 5:15pm
steveada wrote:
Like most things, there is a reason why online retail has taken over such a large chunk of the retail market and it is not just...
Like most things, there is a reason why online retail has taken over such a large chunk of the retail market and it is not just limited to buying stuff for our sport. Convenience, selection, and price are the main areas that online has an advantage. The only real advantages a local dealer has are customer service, and the ability to get something you need today and can't wait until tomorrow. At many dealers, the customer service is not great, and more likely than not they will not have what you need in stock unless it is something like a bottle of 2 stroke oil or something similar. I have a choice. I can leave work early to get to the dealer before they close, drive 30 min in traffic to get to a dealer, spend 30 minutes with the parts guy finding and ordering the parts I need, wait 3 or 4 days for the parts to come in, call the dealership, sometimes multiple times, to find out if my stuff has come in, then drive back to the dealership to get my parts. Or, at lunch at work I can go online, find and order my parts in 5 minutes, and my parts are at my house when I get home from work the next day or 2. Even if price was the same, that is a lot of time and effort on my part just to give someone my business.
This^^^

Just like in the bicycle industry, the dealers have to find a way to give you a reason to choose them and price is not that reason, or not the whole reason for most. You have to buy the bike from them, so they have the opportunity. If they do nothing with that, it is on them. "Shopping Local" is a giant cliche. You will shop where the best value is. Value is a balance between price and service.
5/30/2018 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 5:37pm
One of the oldest dealerships in my area just put their shop on the market for sale. They have been there since 1969. Have done business with them since 1974. Even worked there for a few years way back. When they told me of the pending sale, I actually got a bit emotional.

A city road widening project will take away most of the customer parking lot. The road will be within mere feet of the front door. After 50 years, this was the sign it was time to let the shop go, among a few other things. The local shop business model has changed drastically over the years.

100-120 unit sales months were the norm , even into the late 90's for them. Now, 30 - 40 is considered a good month. And most months are not even that. The service department is what has carried them for quite a while.

It is not just about the latest jersey or helmet on the rack. Access to special tools, welding, bead blast cabinet, obsolete inventory, used parts for older bikes, access to purchase abandoned bikes brought in for service and left for dead, mechanical advice from a few of the old school techs, it's all going away when their door swings shut for the last time.

Basically had free run of the place whenever or whatever I needed.

Really going to miss it. Hell, I liked to stop in just to hang out for a while, shoot the shit. They are friends as well as business owners.

IWreckALot
5/30/2018 5:48pm
I have a freedom power sports within walking distance of my house. I went in there in two separate occasions to get parts. Of course they didn’t stock even basic parts. I was willing to wait for them to order it still. Both times different reps took my bike model and said they would order my parts and call me when the parts came in. Never got a call. Won’t step another foot in the door. They have a neat 85 ktm hanging upside down though.
Premix
5/30/2018 7:40pm
90% of my business goes to Rocky Mountain. Has for the last 10 years. Warehouse is in KY, I get everything next day in Ohio as long as I order before 4pm. Had enough RM “gas cards” or whatever they are called, from racing last year to pay for a new OE crank for my 450! Very few hickups with parts that were handled swiftly with their warranty department. Honestly, in terms of retail sales, B&M is a terrible model. Huge overhead and a lot of stale inventory. It’s not sustainable, especially with the under 30 crowd and accessibility to price check. Both shops near me are nice enough, one fairly knowledgeable, but I wouldn’t make the 30 minute drive to either just to get the same thing I can get with a few clicks of my mouse.
mingham97
5/30/2018 8:00pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can...
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can. (I ask my wife why every purchase she makes needs a delivery truck and a cardboard box, since she is an A class online shopper)
But I recently bought a new helmet, boots, body armor (Fox Titan) and goggles. I couldn't imagine buying this stuff without checking it out and handling it. Especially the helmet, since I bought the Shoei VFX Evo because it felt so good when I tried it on. Maybe it's stupid to pay extra to keep those people employed and the lights on, but I guess I'm old school.
rmoto003 wrote:
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola! RMATV...
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola!

RMATV has the size guarantee so you can swap it out if it doesnt fit. IDK, Ive never had an issue buying online and theres more to choose from than whats on the dealership racks.

Not knocking dealerships, I dont know how they stock half they parts/gear they do stock. From a business standpoint that has to be a shitty ROI since stuff might sit on the shelves for years and everyone expects the "BROOO lemme get a 10% discount BCUZ I RIDE!!!"

IMO dealerships should only stock fluids and stuff, and have an "online" store for people to order stuff through them with since a dealership can usually get it shipped to the dealership next day. Basically be a small RMATV or Motosport, just 1 day delayed and for a small markup since they wouldnt need to keep anything in stock.
You have no idea
Doddy
5/30/2018 8:11pm
No thanks. Most of what I purchase is done online. I do get air filters, grips, and smaller items from my local Honda store because it is fast,easy enough, and my daughter likes to go. There is NO dealer I trust to work on anything I own in my area. I absolutely refuse to go to the Yamaha store here in Lynnwood. Fck those guys. You have been warned.

When I buy a new bike I may have to drive and hour+ or to the other side of the mountains to get any kind of deal, or at least not get boned as it is. I would spend a thousand dollars to save 500 dollars if it means I don't have to buy it from a dealer near me.

mx510
Fantasy
1744th
5/30/2018 10:00pm
I am about 50-50. I buy a lot of stuff from Tacoma Motorsports in person, but I also shop online a fair amount. Just depends on what I am buying.
mb
5/30/2018 10:04pm
Problem is that most dealers can't afford to stock common parts (or don't care enough to). If you can't stock common parts than you lose the only advantage of being B&M.

I'm not talking about the SoCal mega shops that have everything. I'm talking about your local shop that has a couple handlebars in obscure bends, last years Fox gear for full MSRP, one entry level boot in a few sizes, etc.

Inner tubes, tires, generic size carb jets, chain, sprockets, levers, almost anything and everything has to be ordered. I'll pay just about anything for the above items if it means saving my ride day, but it makes no sense to drive there, pay more, order, wait x days, pick it up, & hope that it didn't get lost in the shop... When I could just have RMMC overnight it
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
5/30/2018 11:12pm
I do some local dealer shopping. Usually just oil or other small things, I do order some top ends etc occasionally when I haven't planned well. I go to Chaparral occasionally when I'm in the IE, they have most emergency stuff I sometimes need. Also boots are nice to buy there, they have so many options.

Post a reply to: Shopping at Dealers?

The Latest