Shopping at Dealers?

NorCal 50+
How many people are doing regular business with dealers these days? I am finding myself going to a local shop to rely on local expertise, since I am new to the area. I think a good local shop makes a big difference, but I don't think everybody feels that way.
I am willing to spend a few extra dollars to try accessories on at a shop, and have some people to discuss product with etc. Maybe I am old school but I love going into dealers. It's a part of the motorcycling experience I would hate to see fade away.
|
rmoto003
5/29/2018 11:02pm
well personally i like money, and usually i have less of it after i buy stuff from a dealer than when i buy stuff online.

if they could get that little kink sorted out id go there more. Maybe it falls out of my pocket when i have to get up and drive there?? Not really sure.
NorCal 50+
5/29/2018 11:30pm
rmoto003 wrote:
well personally i like money, and usually i have less of it after i buy stuff from a dealer than when i buy stuff online. if...
well personally i like money, and usually i have less of it after i buy stuff from a dealer than when i buy stuff online.

if they could get that little kink sorted out id go there more. Maybe it falls out of my pocket when i have to get up and drive there?? Not really sure.
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can. (I ask my wife why every purchase she makes needs a delivery truck and a cardboard box, since she is an A class online shopper)
But I recently bought a new helmet, boots, body armor (Fox Titan) and goggles. I couldn't imagine buying this stuff without checking it out and handling it. Especially the helmet, since I bought the Shoei VFX Evo because it felt so good when I tried it on. Maybe it's stupid to pay extra to keep those people employed and the lights on, but I guess I'm old school.
at687
5/29/2018 11:45pm
I do the same. All of my shopping is done at my local shops within the area. The shops in Southern CA does price matching but even if they can't, I will still purchase from them.
rmoto003
5/29/2018 11:47pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can...
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can. (I ask my wife why every purchase she makes needs a delivery truck and a cardboard box, since she is an A class online shopper)
But I recently bought a new helmet, boots, body armor (Fox Titan) and goggles. I couldn't imagine buying this stuff without checking it out and handling it. Especially the helmet, since I bought the Shoei VFX Evo because it felt so good when I tried it on. Maybe it's stupid to pay extra to keep those people employed and the lights on, but I guess I'm old school.
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola!

RMATV has the size guarantee so you can swap it out if it doesnt fit. IDK, Ive never had an issue buying online and theres more to choose from than whats on the dealership racks.

Not knocking dealerships, I dont know how they stock half they parts/gear they do stock. From a business standpoint that has to be a shitty ROI since stuff might sit on the shelves for years and everyone expects the "BROOO lemme get a 10% discount BCUZ I RIDE!!!"

IMO dealerships should only stock fluids and stuff, and have an "online" store for people to order stuff through them with since a dealership can usually get it shipped to the dealership next day. Basically be a small RMATV or Motosport, just 1 day delayed and for a small markup since they wouldnt need to keep anything in stock.

The Shop

KDXGarage
5/30/2018 4:18am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Yep- I can see that. Unfortunately the Internet is killing retail in general, as everybody knows. But I still buy local as much as I can...
"Maybe it's stupid to pay extra to keep those people employed and the lights on, but I guess I'm old school."

OR MAYBE... not everyone is as well off as you are. Congratulations on having the extra money to buy local. Not everyone else does.

Do all you "haves" think that all the "have nots" on this board just hate the local dealer and would not go there even if the "have nots" won the lottery??

In these threads it is ALWAYS price, price, price as the number one factor of why people buy online.

It's good that you can afford to shop local, but please don't think that others are AGAINST the local shop.

Thank you.
murph783
5/30/2018 4:43am
Honestly I work at a dealer and get my stuff for cost, it’s still cheaper for me to buy online occasionally. It’s a losing battle trying to make money in retail sales in this industry from what I can tell
steveada
5/30/2018 4:54am
Like most things, there is a reason why online retail has taken over such a large chunk of the retail market and it is not just limited to buying stuff for our sport. Convenience, selection, and price are the main areas that online has an advantage. The only real advantages a local dealer has are customer service, and the ability to get something you need today and can't wait until tomorrow. At many dealers, the customer service is not great, and more likely than not they will not have what you need in stock unless it is something like a bottle of 2 stroke oil or something similar. I have a choice. I can leave work early to get to the dealer before they close, drive 30 min in traffic to get to a dealer, spend 30 minutes with the parts guy finding and ordering the parts I need, wait 3 or 4 days for the parts to come in, call the dealership, sometimes multiple times, to find out if my stuff has come in, then drive back to the dealership to get my parts. Or, at lunch at work I can go online, find and order my parts in 5 minutes, and my parts are at my house when I get home from work the next day or 2. Even if price was the same, that is a lot of time and effort on my part just to give someone my business.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
5/30/2018 5:14am
steveada wrote:
Like most things, there is a reason why online retail has taken over such a large chunk of the retail market and it is not just...
Like most things, there is a reason why online retail has taken over such a large chunk of the retail market and it is not just limited to buying stuff for our sport. Convenience, selection, and price are the main areas that online has an advantage. The only real advantages a local dealer has are customer service, and the ability to get something you need today and can't wait until tomorrow. At many dealers, the customer service is not great, and more likely than not they will not have what you need in stock unless it is something like a bottle of 2 stroke oil or something similar. I have a choice. I can leave work early to get to the dealer before they close, drive 30 min in traffic to get to a dealer, spend 30 minutes with the parts guy finding and ordering the parts I need, wait 3 or 4 days for the parts to come in, call the dealership, sometimes multiple times, to find out if my stuff has come in, then drive back to the dealership to get my parts. Or, at lunch at work I can go online, find and order my parts in 5 minutes, and my parts are at my house when I get home from work the next day or 2. Even if price was the same, that is a lot of time and effort on my part just to give someone my business.
Why do you need to call multiple times? Do they not give you a window for when it’ll be in? If so, do you call everyday just to see if they came in early or are they continually missing their expected window by 3-4 days? Also, do they not call you when everything comes in?

Seems like you’re wasting a lot of time for you and them by calling that much.
KDXGarage
5/30/2018 5:27am
VitalMX lets posters get away with a fair amount of bad language. Even VitalMX must say enough is enough when someone types verbatim what they say after driving to the local dealer to pick up parts that have not arrived, but were past the "expected window". LOL

The last time I went in and bought parts (AKA, told them what I wanted them to order), they did not call me after it got there. I ride old bikes and DO NOT expect them to have anything in stock beyond a plug, oil, etc.. I sure as heck would not if I was them.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/30/2018 5:35am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 5:38am
rmoto003 wrote:
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola! RMATV...
All the big box stores give you the size charts of the gear they sell so you just break out a tape measure and viola!

RMATV has the size guarantee so you can swap it out if it doesnt fit. IDK, Ive never had an issue buying online and theres more to choose from than whats on the dealership racks.

Not knocking dealerships, I dont know how they stock half they parts/gear they do stock. From a business standpoint that has to be a shitty ROI since stuff might sit on the shelves for years and everyone expects the "BROOO lemme get a 10% discount BCUZ I RIDE!!!"

IMO dealerships should only stock fluids and stuff, and have an "online" store for people to order stuff through them with since a dealership can usually get it shipped to the dealership next day. Basically be a small RMATV or Motosport, just 1 day delayed and for a small markup since they wouldnt need to keep anything in stock.
If I could order and pay online with price and selection similar to what is found on the major websites then pick up parts/gear at a dealer a day or two later I would be more inclined. Dealers would still make money off of sales and service and have less overhead. I gotta believe that 2 day shipping of a combined order everyday to one location is cheaper than the free 3 day shipping to 100 houses most online places offer. Dealers would then become a dealer for the website (rmatv/Motosport/bto). Dealers still get you in the door to eye up new bikes and build a relationship which is better than what most have right now.
kb228
5/30/2018 5:36am
In my experience most people at a dealership dont know much of anything past simple mechanical work. Their oils and lubes are expensive as hell. Parts take a week to come in.

Ill save my time and money with rockymountain or read service manuals or something to get what a dealership cannot provide me.
bigmaico
5/30/2018 5:43am
I still use one of the local dealers, in fact I’m headed there in a hour to pick up some parts.

I ordered on Friday,they called & emailmed me yesterday to let me know that the parts are in.

On some bigger parts, l’ll check the internet, sometimes the dealer will match if it’s a OEM part.

kNewc
5/30/2018 6:07am
I don't use a dealership per se, but I do shop at the local bike shop quite often. A majority of bike parts are generally the same online or at the shop, and I can get it next day with free shipping from the shop - that's the biggest advantage for me. Like my chain slide broke last week, and I saw a UFO set for $18, plus $8 for 5 day shipping. I got the part for the $18 with free next day shipping, just had to drive the mile back to the shop. So for some things it's well worth it. Plus they do a lot of bike work for me when I need it.
Jt$
5/30/2018 6:07am
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to keep the doors open and I have seen a lesser but still impressive amount doing very well. It's still possible and occurring.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
5/30/2018 6:47am
Jt$ wrote:
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to...
E-comm is big business these days but I believe B&M success is something we should all hope for. I've seen hundreds of B&M dealers struggling to keep the doors open and I have seen a lesser but still impressive amount doing very well. It's still possible and occurring.
What do the ones that are doing very well do that the others are missing?
agn5009
5/30/2018 6:49am
Lowest prices + RM cash + great service + fast shipping = my money goes to RMATV
mikec265
5/30/2018 6:56am
My local dealers are about worthless to the local moto scene unless you want a new bike. Forget gear, parts, and service. If they have any gear it's 3 year old stuff at full retail. No one local will ever touch my suspension or engine parts.
5/30/2018 6:56am
My local shop is great. Good looking cashiers too. I try and buy local when I can. Only issue is driving across Temecula takes 30 minutes with all the traffic. Online is more convenient if not in a rush for parts.
Micahdogg
5/30/2018 7:07am
I would love to go to the dealers more often, but I don't like wasting money and I don't like wasting peoples time. So I only go there maybe once a year. Unfortunately, most of my business is RMATV....probably 75% of it. The rest gets split between Ebay, Amazon, Motosport or wherever. Occasionally I'll visit the dealer if I'm looking for something immediately, and they almost never have it, but offer to order it. Even though I know its more expensive, I usually let em order it for me just to throw them a bone.

I did buy a helmet at the dealer recently though. That is one thing I hate buying on the net.

bents
Fantasy
909th
5/30/2018 7:07am
I will go to our local shop whenever I can. They work hard to stock as much as they can and providing they price match what I can find online I will order through them and unless it is absolutely urgent I will not order online. Being in Canada there is some stuff they cannot get though and it is faster for me to go online and order it myself.
ob
5/30/2018 7:11am
The guys in the parts department of my local dealer are awesome. They match online prices so why not use them whenever possible. Plus they help me out a little on pricing in general. I would be bummed if they weren't there.
5/30/2018 7:31am
I'm in manitoba canada, if i want to order something from another province it takes at least 3 days to get here (remote location). Usually my dealer can get it the next morning if i order before 2pm. He will usually price match or try to be within certain price of the internet.

Ex Fortnine had certain gear sets for 186$ shipped (CAD) and the dealer got it next day for 187... i won't buy online and wait for 1$ .
KDXGarage
5/30/2018 7:34am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 10:28pm
early wrote:
If I could order and pay online with price and selection similar to what is found on the major websites then pick up parts/gear at a...
If I could order and pay online with price and selection similar to what is found on the major websites then pick up parts/gear at a dealer a day or two later I would be more inclined. Dealers would still make money off of sales and service and have less overhead. I gotta believe that 2 day shipping of a combined order everyday to one location is cheaper than the free 3 day shipping to 100 houses most online places offer. Dealers would then become a dealer for the website (rmatv/Motosport/bto). Dealers still get you in the door to eye up new bikes and build a relationship which is better than what most have right now.
You know what your post makes me think of? Walmart of sorts, buy online, pick up in store. I know this would be buy online and pick up A FEW DAYS LATER in store. Maybe WPS, Parts Unlimited, Tucker, etc. could do that.

Maybe the OEMs could do the dealerships a favor and come up with something, too.
OUMX117
5/30/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 8:06am
Most local dealers near me almost seem put out and annoyed by any customer presence in their stores. It's like they have more important things going on than to help out a customer. And when you do finally get one of them to put their cell phone down long enough to actually help you out, they try to give you bad information and the wrong parts. I'd much rather just order my stuff online. The ONLY reason I would buy something locally is if they have it in stock (isn't that kinda the idea of a dealership?), which they never ever do.
ob
5/30/2018 7:57am
OUMX117 wrote:
Most local dealers near me almost seem put out and annoyed by any customer presence in their stores. It's like they have more important things going...
Most local dealers near me almost seem put out and annoyed by any customer presence in their stores. It's like they have more important things going on than to help out a customer. And when you do finally get one of them to put their cell phone down long enough to actually help you out, they try to give you bad information and the wrong parts. I'd much rather just order my stuff online. The ONLY reason I would buy something locally is if they have it in stock (isn't that kinda the idea of a dealership?), which they never ever do.
When I lived in Oregon my local ktm dealer had people there like that. I fucking hated that place.
MR. X
5/30/2018 8:02am
I did for a good number of years ,the part depot manager also rode and knew what to stock . I was rarely disapointed with the price or availability . Then he left and joe crotch rocket took over the job and started stocking all street bike bullshit.
5/30/2018 8:04am
OUMX117 wrote:
Most local dealers near me almost seem put out and annoyed by any customer presence in their stores. It's like they have more important things going...
ob wrote:
When I lived in Oregon my local ktm dealer had people there like that. I fucking hated that place.
Same, around here if you are not buying a SxS the dealer is pretty much worthless, hell its to the point where they might have 4 motocross bikes.....
AZRider
5/30/2018 8:28am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 8:28am
When i moved to Georgia last year i checked out all the local dealerships. Having been a former shop owner, i always prefer to buy local. Since moving here i have found 1 dealer out of 6 with decent customer service. I do buy from them when i can but even their selection is crap. If i have to order what i want it would be insane to wait longer and pay more, so RM gets most of my motorcycle spend which is a few hundred a month between me and my sons bike needs. Poor customer service is what hurts brick and mortar way more than online sales.
Kenny Lingus
5/30/2018 9:34am
My local dealers suck. On the other hand my long time mechanic is a parts unlimited dealer and gives great deals. Going over Friday to order set of boots and get a year supply of consumables for three bikes.
bvm111
5/30/2018 9:40am
why would I drive somewhere for them to order it for me so I can drive back to pick it up a couple days later? It is 2018 and I can order it myself form my phone without the attitude and have it the next day shipped free from RMATV.

you guys shitting on people that prefer to order online probably still have rotary phones, beepers, and TV's with tubes and dial channel selectors and prefer to jet a Carb. Its not my fault the dealerships haven't been able to change their business model to transform with growing technology and consumer demand.

Post a reply to: Shopping at Dealers?

The Latest