Shoei VFX Evo or 6D ATR-2?

hubbardmx50
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 8:26pm
I had a good wreck a couple weeks ago in my Arai VX Pro 4 cracking the EPS liner in a few spots. I really did enjoy that helmet but man did my head hurt the next day. My dad thinks I would be much better off in a 6D, but I really like the new Shoei EVO with M.E.D.S. I tried one on at my dealer and it definitely feels like an improvement over the VFX-W, which I also owned and crashed in previously, lol. The plain white EVO is $539 which is a very good price for a top of the line helmet, even though price isn't my main concern or reason for making this post. I have not tried on the new 6D ATR-2 and I don't know anybody who has one. If you own either helmet please let me know what you think about them. Thanks!
|
The Oracle
Fantasy
4263rd
9/26/2018 3:16pm
I feel like the Bell Moto-9 Flex is a more comparable helmet to the 6D as far as the protection systems go. The Shoei feels amazing on the head though. Not tried a 6D.

I saw the Alpinestars S-M10 helmet today for the first time, and that looks to be a very good helmet, which is more along the lines of the Shoei EVO and Bell Moto-9 MIPS.

I'm a dealer of BELL, Shoei and Alpinestars, but not too updated on the M.E.D.S. system. If I've understood correctly it is comparable to MIPS, someone more in the know might chime in and shed some light?

Anyway, for the safest helmet possible I'd go with the BELL Moto-9 Flex personally, but I think the Shoei helmets are a great option a fair price for a top-end helmet.
hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 3:19pm
The Oracle wrote:
I feel like the Bell Moto-9 Flex is a more comparable helmet to the 6D as far as the protection systems go. The Shoei feels amazing...
I feel like the Bell Moto-9 Flex is a more comparable helmet to the 6D as far as the protection systems go. The Shoei feels amazing on the head though. Not tried a 6D.

I saw the Alpinestars S-M10 helmet today for the first time, and that looks to be a very good helmet, which is more along the lines of the Shoei EVO and Bell Moto-9 MIPS.

I'm a dealer of BELL, Shoei and Alpinestars, but not too updated on the M.E.D.S. system. If I've understood correctly it is comparable to MIPS, someone more in the know might chime in and shed some light?

Anyway, for the safest helmet possible I'd go with the BELL Moto-9 Flex personally, but I think the Shoei helmets are a great option a fair price for a top-end helmet.
Bell helmets do not fit my head, not one bit.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
9/26/2018 3:21pm
I don't think you can go wrong with a Bell Moto 9 Flex, Shoei VFX Evo or 6D ATR-2. Pick what fits your head the best. All great helmets.

The Shop

Zaugg
9/26/2018 3:24pm
They're all good helmets dude.

Buy the 6D ATR-2 if you can 't find a shop where you can try it on.

If it doesn't fit...send it back and go with the Shoei. If that doesn't fit...buy the A-Star.

Everyone has a return policy. It's your timeline that might need to get adjusted.

You're worried about protecting your head, use that head to do some research on the company you're purchasing from and look for FREE RETURNS where they pay for shipping.

Call them up and tell them what you're doing. Most online retailers understand.

hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 3:38pm
I know they are all good top of the line helmets, I am just wondering what people who own them and ride with them personally think.
swtwtwtw
9/26/2018 4:02pm
I know they are all good top of the line helmets, I am just wondering what people who own them and ride with them personally think.
In order of preference:

-Arai

-6D

-Shoei

I have been concussed in all three , the first two I feel confident in. I agree that the Shoei has some attractive colors. Of course, white is white.
Racer111
9/26/2018 4:27pm
I’ve been wearing Shoei helmets since 1999. Never had an issue. I just ordered this one. Love the color scheme on it for some reason.
hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 4:34pm
Racer111 wrote:
I’ve been wearing Shoei helmets since 1999. Never had an issue. I just ordered this one. Love the color scheme on it for some reason. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/26/289729/s1200_AA331BF3_28CD_4E34_973F_5662C4479CEC.jpg[/img]
I’ve been wearing Shoei helmets since 1999. Never had an issue. I just ordered this one. Love the color scheme on it for some reason.
She's a beaut! I had multiple Shoei's before my Arai and never had any issues either, which is why I am considering going back. My dad is just a 6D fanboy, lol and wants me to go that route. I had one of my worst crashes in almost 20 years of riding back in 2015 while wearing the VFX-W and my head didn't hurt at all after. This crash I had a few weeks ago was very low speed, I couldn't believe how much my head hurt the next day. Just can't help but think I may have been better off in a 6D or this new Shoei with MEDS.
hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 4:41pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
In order of preference: -Arai -6D -Shoei I have been concussed in all three , the first two I feel confident in. I agree that the...
In order of preference:

-Arai

-6D

-Shoei

I have been concussed in all three , the first two I feel confident in. I agree that the Shoei has some attractive colors. Of course, white is white.
Thanks for your input. I really liked the Arai too, the cheek pads and liner were second to none. I hope soon they follow suit and come out with a suspension like energy distribution like everyone else. I emailed them about replacing the EPS or giving me a discount on a new helmet when this happened; they said no to both Sad not their problem and at least the helmet did its job. Oh well. Why do you not feel confident in Shoei?
The Oracle
Fantasy
4263rd
9/26/2018 5:31pm
Bell helmets do not fit my head, not one bit.
Maybe they have changed their shell constructions in Europe, then, although unlikely as they are approved both stateside and over here.

Before we got Bell Helmets I remember scouting their helmets and testing the different models during the EICMA exhibition in Milano, and found that there was no way in hell I would be wearing a Bell helmet any time soon. The fit was bad, it seemed where circled and left a gap on both sides top of my head.

Fast forward year and a half, one of our wholesalers started importing Bell, and we took a chance ordering in some samples. Fit and inner shape felt completely different, and I know this was after our contact person said that Bell would be making a push in to Europe. Now I own six Shoei helmets, and my last helmet is a Moto-9 that I weirdly enough think has a great fit to it!

Maybe ML knows?
swtwtwtw
9/26/2018 5:44pm
@hubbardmx50- the new 2018 Shoei is just so flimsy feeling (in my hands, not on my head) vs my other helmets ( I have 10 plus helmets between me and my adult kids, hence all 3 brands). As a Dad and with Arai off the table, I would insist on the 6d too. Just spend the extra to get cheekpads that fit, they are super reasonable at 6d, like 25 bucks. I like the 50mm and 55mm ones.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
9/26/2018 6:50pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
@hubbardmx50- the new 2018 Shoei is just so flimsy feeling (in my hands, not on my head) vs my other helmets ( I have 10 plus...
@hubbardmx50- the new 2018 Shoei is just so flimsy feeling (in my hands, not on my head) vs my other helmets ( I have 10 plus helmets between me and my adult kids, hence all 3 brands). As a Dad and with Arai off the table, I would insist on the 6d too. Just spend the extra to get cheekpads that fit, they are super reasonable at 6d, like 25 bucks. I like the 50mm and 55mm ones.
Ive had 10-12 of the shoei vfx w since 2008. I pre ordered the evo this year, it’s a step back IMO. I really dislike my evo.

Fit is a bit larger
Headliner is garbage. Pia to get it back in after washing & the front plastic clips already broke.

I’m looking to change myself.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/26/2018 6:58pm
I wore Shoei helmets almost all my life, until I bought a Bell moto 9. Since then, I’ve switchef to the FLEX model and have no reason to consider anything else.
Honestly, you REALLY need to try them all on and pick the one that feels the best on your head. The 6D hurt my forehead and the new Shoei helmets are a different shaped shell and don’t feel good on me anymore. Just my 2 cents...
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/26/2018 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 7:08pm
I've had lots of helmets over the years and every few I go back to Shoei. They feel pretty perfect on my head (I'm more of an oval head, not very wide). I currently have a vfx-w and a vfx-evo and love em.
hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 7:11pm
seth505 wrote:
I've had lots of helmets over the years and every few I go back to Shoei. They feel pretty perfect on my head (I'm more of...
I've had lots of helmets over the years and every few I go back to Shoei. They feel pretty perfect on my head (I'm more of an oval head, not very wide). I currently have a vfx-w and a vfx-evo and love em.
Thank you, they fit me well too. The new Evo felt even better.
hubbardmx50
9/26/2018 7:15pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
@hubbardmx50- the new 2018 Shoei is just so flimsy feeling (in my hands, not on my head) vs my other helmets ( I have 10 plus...
DTR830 wrote:
Ive had 10-12 of the shoei vfx w since 2008. I pre ordered the evo this year, it’s a step back IMO. I really dislike my...
Ive had 10-12 of the shoei vfx w since 2008. I pre ordered the evo this year, it’s a step back IMO. I really dislike my evo.

Fit is a bit larger
Headliner is garbage. Pia to get it back in after washing & the front plastic clips already broke.

I’m looking to change myself.
Wow really? That's a bummer to hear. The VFX-W liner was a pain to put back in too. I definitely did not miss that when I got my Arai, that liner is the best. Thank you for the input. Hopefully this thread will help you make a decision too.
9/26/2018 7:25pm
Translational impact forces are the biggest causes for concussions. The most comfortable and I have worn them for 20 years is the Arai. Have taken some big shots with the Arai’s and walked away.
However, a few years ago, My head back slapped with a decent get off. Was in the hospital for month . Not sure of any helmet would’ve saved it . But at this point in my career, The docs said “ I cannot take another major headshot “. An althletes head can only take so much(I.e. pro football) . So I am running the 6D, after researching the background of the company where their technology came from and originated . I will tell you this, it is not the most comfortable . But in my case, that’s not the reason I am wearing this particular helmet, Comfort is a small consideration for my situation.

Imo guys......be safe.
Racer111
9/26/2018 7:40pm
Racer111 wrote:
I’ve been wearing Shoei helmets since 1999. Never had an issue. I just ordered this one. Love the color scheme on it for some reason. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/26/289729/s1200_AA331BF3_28CD_4E34_973F_5662C4479CEC.jpg[/img]
She's a beaut! I had multiple Shoei's before my Arai and never had any issues either, which is why I am considering going back. My dad...
She's a beaut! I had multiple Shoei's before my Arai and never had any issues either, which is why I am considering going back. My dad is just a 6D fanboy, lol and wants me to go that route. I had one of my worst crashes in almost 20 years of riding back in 2015 while wearing the VFX-W and my head didn't hurt at all after. This crash I had a few weeks ago was very low speed, I couldn't believe how much my head hurt the next day. Just can't help but think I may have been better off in a 6D or this new Shoei with MEDS.
I hit a 120 foot jump right after the track had been watered. When my front wheel left the face of the jump, my rear wheel just slid out sideways. I was coming up WAY short on the jump. Leaped off the bike. My right boot caught the handlebar and jerked me back causing my hands to come back to my body. I landed head first from about 15 feet in the air and never lost consciousness and no concussion. Laid on the ground for about 15 min and then went back to riding about 30 min later wearing my back up helmet which was also a shoei. I sent my helmet in for them to test it. They sent me brand new one in its place. I’ll never wear anything else.
NeedMoto
9/26/2018 7:57pm
I went back and forth between those two. Ended up getting the Shoei, couldn't be happier.

The Shoei seem to fit a bit better, although I wouldn't hesitate getting a 6D.
Doddy
9/26/2018 8:06pm
The 6D is made is China, correct?
JA33
9/26/2018 11:51pm
Try them on and choose the one that fits the best for you. Personally I would go for the 6D ATR-2. I'm just a big fan of their technology.
Indy mxer
9/27/2018 3:46am
JA33 wrote:
Try them on and choose the one that fits the best for you. Personally I would go for the 6D ATR-2. I'm just a big fan...
Try them on and choose the one that fits the best for you. Personally I would go for the 6D ATR-2. I'm just a big fan of their technology.
Totally agree. I've had an ATR-1 for some time and love it. Top notch quality.
Before that I wore a Shoei VFX-W.

Although my 6D is very comfortable, that's not my main concern. I believe in their technology.
Imo, all the other brands are playing catch up.

Getting ready to order a ATR-2 from my local dealer.

JA33
9/27/2018 5:05am
JA33 wrote:
Try them on and choose the one that fits the best for you. Personally I would go for the 6D ATR-2. I'm just a big fan...
Indy mxer wrote:
Totally agree. I've had an ATR-1 for some time and love it. Top notch quality. Before that I wore a Shoei VFX-W. Although my 6D is...
Totally agree. I've had an ATR-1 for some time and love it. Top notch quality.
Before that I wore a Shoei VFX-W.

Although my 6D is very comfortable, that's not my main concern. I believe in their technology.
Imo, all the other brands are playing catch up.

Getting ready to order a ATR-2 from my local dealer.

Exactly! I'm also looking to order a new ATR-2 my ATR-1 is 3 years old now. I'm just waiting on the new designs that come out in October.
hubbardmx50
9/27/2018 9:58am
My dealer stocks them both, I will just try them on back to back and see what I think. That's what I did when I bought my Arai last year and after I knew it was what I wanted.
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
9/27/2018 11:13am
Try a new A-star helmet on before you buy. Just bought one and absolutely love it and you can adjust the liner to fit your head.
9/27/2018 6:10pm
I absolutely love my atr-2. I was worried about the fit because I had a couple people comparing it to the Flex (which I've been told you definitely need to go up a size in). However, I stayed with large which is what I wear in Shoei and every other brand I've owned and it fit perfect. Goggles (prospects) fit great in it as well. All around I'd highly recommend, coming from a lifetime Shoei guy.
hubbardmx50
10/13/2018 8:26pm
Thank you everyone for your help and testimonials, I ended up going with the 6D ATR-2. It is way more comfy than the ATR-1 in my opinion and you just can't beat the technology and research put into it these helmets. Wish I could break it in tomorrow but don't think any tracks are open due to rain Sad

1/4/2019 11:41pm
Have Shoei some good EPS liner ?
Is it progressive as a turbine for example ?

6d and Leatt have some other systems that work with the eps liner, spikes , turbines

All other helmets have "only" MIPS (FLEX)

Post a reply to: Shoei VFX Evo or 6D ATR-2?

The Latest