Shoei Helmets and safety.

JB479
Edited Date/Time 9/2/2014 12:05pm
Hey guys,

Ive been wearing shoei helmets for the last 3 years.
However in the last 12months I've been knocked out twice and had concussions.
The first crash i didn't do any other damage,however The second crash which was yesterday,
i ended up breaking my wrist and was knocked out.
First bone I've broke in 10 years of riding/racing, to say the least I'm pretty disappointed.

Im wondering if i was wearing any other helmet, i may have not have been knocked out?
Ive always thought Shoei helmets are basically top notch when it comes to safety and protection.

Im really considering spending the extra cash and buying the new 6d helmets?

thanks jack.
|
86honda
8/30/2014 5:33pm
Helmets shatter when you have a hard hit. Thats the way they are designed. Shoei has a replacement policy that is one of the best
Preston412
8/30/2014 5:35pm
Can't really say it was the helmet, they are designed to lessen the severity not prevent it. So, if you hit your head hard enough, you will get a concussion with any top level helmet.
But, if the 6D will make you feel more protected then go get you one but i am not sold on the idea that they are better.

Just a word to you, helmets are recommend to be replaced after one hard crash.
Olson
8/30/2014 5:36pm
Did you replace the helmet after the first crash?

A friend of mine lost grip of his handlebar just before hitting a jump landed backwards after the landing, split his Shoei in half and did'nt feel anything. Every crash is different I guess. But that proves something to me at least.
Preston412
8/30/2014 5:37pm
86honda wrote:
Helmets shatter when you have a hard hit. Thats the way they are designed. Shoei has a replacement policy that is one of the best
X2. Shoei will also have a rep from your area inspect it.

The Shop

swtwtwtw
8/30/2014 5:39pm
Once one is concussed, it is more likely to happen again and again. Shoei is a top notch helmet.
Gringoe
8/30/2014 5:39pm
Shoeis are top notch. Every helmet even the very best one is still a ONE USE helmet.
JB479
8/30/2014 5:43pm
Olson wrote:
Did you replace the helmet after the first crash? A friend of mine lost grip of his handlebar just before hitting a jump landed backwards after...
Did you replace the helmet after the first crash?

A friend of mine lost grip of his handlebar just before hitting a jump landed backwards after the landing, split his Shoei in half and did'nt feel anything. Every crash is different I guess. But that proves something to me at least.
Thanks very much for the replys,
Yeah 2 different shoei's.

Maybe they were just hard hits, My face is a mess today, bruised black eye and few scratches.
thanks.
moto38
8/30/2014 6:37pm
Im in the same boat as you, I think helmet makers are making helmets that are too strong for the average crash. The DOT amd Snell tests seem to be a little too tough on a helmet, so the manufacturers end up making a helmet that can withstand 300 g's, but under that, all of the load gets transfered straight into your head.

I have a friend who crashed not too hard with a fox (i think) helmet, and he was fine, but the helmet had to be replaced. He crashed harder with his Shoei, got a concussion, but the helmet passed the inspection that Shoei does for free. Not a real scientific set of data, but it makes me think that Shoei makes thei helmets too strong.

There should be an updated way of testi g helmets that doesnt involve dropping them on a steel ball amd measuring the impact. Something that would be more closely matched to what happens in the real world.
8/30/2014 6:51pm
moto38 wrote:
Im in the same boat as you, I think helmet makers are making helmets that are too strong for the average crash. The DOT amd Snell...
Im in the same boat as you, I think helmet makers are making helmets that are too strong for the average crash. The DOT amd Snell tests seem to be a little too tough on a helmet, so the manufacturers end up making a helmet that can withstand 300 g's, but under that, all of the load gets transfered straight into your head.

I have a friend who crashed not too hard with a fox (i think) helmet, and he was fine, but the helmet had to be replaced. He crashed harder with his Shoei, got a concussion, but the helmet passed the inspection that Shoei does for free. Not a real scientific set of data, but it makes me think that Shoei makes thei helmets too strong.

There should be an updated way of testi g helmets that doesnt involve dropping them on a steel ball amd measuring the impact. Something that would be more closely matched to what happens in the real world.
I was just reading a story that mentioned a lot of your points. Look into ECE testing I believe manufacturers will be going to this certification opposed to the SNELL. Ill try to find a link to it.
wwoberg
8/30/2014 8:15pm
Do the Shoei fit your head correctly? I've heard/read that proper fit is critical.
JB479
8/30/2014 9:01pm
wwoberg wrote:
Do the Shoei fit your head correctly? I've heard/read that proper fit is critical.
Yeah, They fit unreal! Easily the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've tried on, In saying that I have never tried a 6d helmet, because here in australia no one really stocks them because of their price, same as shoei…. Its hard to find a store in australia with them.
enketchum
8/31/2014 12:11am
Shoei fits a short head, Arai fits a long head. It cannot be loose
Bronson905
Fantasy
536th
8/31/2014 12:25am
Arai or Bell is your next best choice I would say.
50dippin
8/31/2014 12:45am
After trying on a suomy and an airoh I havent worn my vfx-w since, it feels like it weights 100 lbs. I have neck issues though, so the lighter the helmet the better for me.
mmcmx
8/31/2014 1:42am
I heard many riders wear the euro Shoei instead of the US one for that reason?
rcannon
8/31/2014 6:12am
I believe my dirt helmet and my street helmet meet the "same" Snell standards. If this is true, these two activities dont have much in common with regards to speed . If its "close enough" Fly Racings 2015 line needs to include leather pants, and shirts. Or, roadracers need suits made from Nylon.
CRF505
8/31/2014 6:59am
JB479 wrote:
Hey guys, Ive been wearing shoei helmets for the last 3 years. However in the last 12months I've been knocked out twice and had concussions. The...
Hey guys,

The first crash i didn't do any other damage,however The second crash which was yesterday,
First bone I've broke in 10 years of riding/racing, to say the least I'm pretty disappointed.

Im wondering if i was wearing any other helmet, i may have not have been knocked out?
Ive always thought Shoei helmets are basically top notch when it comes to safety and protection.

thanks jack.
Who's to say you wouldn't be brain dead or worse in a lesser helmet? Or maybe you would have got up and walked away in a 6D? Could be either - problem is you'll never know. I wear Shoei's and believe in them, really don't think you can go wrong with them. But I'll admit, the new technology from 6D and the MIPS that Fox is doing sure in intriguing. Anything you can do to protect your nugget is a good thing and I doubt you'll ever regret buying a top of the line product.
wow123
8/31/2014 7:34am
the move to more progressive crush materials has been very slow, government regulations/fear of law suits is probably why

the hard shell with polystyrene impact material and 1 test suits all applications is very old tech in this day and age

wish one of the big guys would jump in

tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
8/31/2014 7:47am
enketchum wrote:
Shoei fits a short head, Arai fits a long head. It cannot be loose
you got that backwards. Shoei fits a slimmer longer head better than Arai.
rcannon
8/31/2014 8:59am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2014 9:03am
I hope you might consider seeking some professional help...not in THAT way, but just getting a check to make sure your brain is in good working order. That sounded rude..I dont mean it like that...

If there was even a shred of proof that top dollar helmets work better, you could consider upgrading. The closest thing to an independent test I've seen, the British SHAPR helmet safety thing shows no connection between price, name and performance. Whatever your doing though, is gettign pretty dangerous, and your risking lot by anyones standard.

I watched my brother play college football. At the start of his senior year, he got a concussion. At least the first reportable one. The second and third happened soon after. We pretty much stopped counting after that. There was no way he'd give up a starting position he worked so hard to get to. I dont feel like he was ever the same, after that.

It did not change how smart he was, or coordinated, but it was his moods. He would get into a manic high that lasted a few days, then drop into this awful depression that lasted for weeks. You cna say You'll get help if that happens, btu when you are IN IT, thats hard to do.

I wont blame football for his death. Maybe he grew into the mood disorder. No oen can say....Still, if I were in your situation, at a minimum I'd slow it down for the next year. If your hammering six figure checks from a manufacturer, maybe thats a different discussion, but if its an amateur level....seriously, its the rest of your liek were taking about.

8/31/2014 11:45am
rcannon wrote:
I believe my dirt helmet and my street helmet meet the "same" Snell standards. If this is true, these two activities dont have much in common...
I believe my dirt helmet and my street helmet meet the "same" Snell standards. If this is true, these two activities dont have much in common with regards to speed . If its "close enough" Fly Racings 2015 line needs to include leather pants, and shirts. Or, roadracers need suits made from Nylon.
This is the exact reason why I bought a 6D rather than a new Shoei this time around. I've been Arai/Shoei forever but I felt that if someone like 6D can come along and try to make a helmet designed to better protect against the slower/rotational crashes we have in MX then that has to be a good thing. Also, I don't believe the 6D is any WORSE than a Shoei so I ended up with the 6D. I bought it online and paid just under $600 from motorhelmets with a 20% coupon (they seem to do them periodically), which was $120 more than the Shoei. I thought that $120 was a good price to pay for what MIGHT be slightly better noggin protection.

Also, before I bought the 6D I spoke to them (just called the customer number on their website) a couple times for almost an hour; they were really helpful, knew their stuff and answered all my questions, which frankly is the service I expect when buying a premium product like that.

Cheers
Simon
TeamGreen
8/31/2014 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2014 2:00pm
JB479 wrote:
Hey guys, Ive been wearing shoei helmets for the last 3 years. However in the last 12months I've been knocked out twice and had concussions. The...
Hey guys,

thanks jack.
I'm not a Dr. & I don't how hard you hit your head; but, I do know you REALLY need to have good protection now that you've been concussed twice.

The people at 6D have created a helmet for the very purpose of decelerating how fast your brain "hits" or is jarred inside your skull. I'm very impressed with the technology they've utilized and the complexity of the isolaters inside the outter shell.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear one.
rcannon
8/31/2014 1:01pm
Based on how we use helmets, or more accurately, based on my speed, I about ready to buy a downhill mountain bike helmet. I dont believe I've had a crash, in the dirt, where one of these would not have worked perfectly. Super light, too.

Not menaing to insult the downhill guys......they are fast.
JB479
8/31/2014 1:48pm
Thanks everyone for the replys.

As I said before, I Rarely ever crash, Ive always ridden in control. Ive always thought technique>speed.
Just had these two crashes which have got me good, I actually had been riding my 450 for a couple of months,but on Saturday I had to ride my 250 as the 450 was out of action (suspension work), So maybe I thought I was invincible or something as the 250 did feel really slow.....

Back to helmets, I'll give it a think over the next couple weeks whilst being on the couch whether I go Shoei or 6D.

Thanks Jack.
gt80rider
8/31/2014 6:15pm
rcannon wrote:
Based on how we use helmets, or more accurately, based on my speed, I about ready to buy a downhill mountain bike helmet. I dont believe...
Based on how we use helmets, or more accurately, based on my speed, I about ready to buy a downhill mountain bike helmet. I dont believe I've had a crash, in the dirt, where one of these would not have worked perfectly. Super light, too.

I agree with what you said there.... However, the worst concussion I ever got in moto was where I was in a pile up and my head got clipped by someone's frame rail... It was 3 weeks before I woke up from that one, can't image taking the same hit with a bicycle helmet on...
rcannon
9/1/2014 7:19am
rcannon wrote:
Based on how we use helmets, or more accurately, based on my speed, I about ready to buy a downhill mountain bike helmet. I dont believe...

gt80rider wrote:
I agree with what you said there.... However, the worst concussion I ever got in moto was where I was in a pile up and my...
I agree with what you said there.... However, the worst concussion I ever got in moto was where I was in a pile up and my head got clipped by someone's frame rail... It was 3 weeks before I woke up from that one, can't image taking the same hit with a bicycle helmet on...
Great point, and I've not done it either...You are right, though, in that you dont really wear safety equipment to cover, all but the hardest hits...Its the other way around, isn't it?

In a way being out for three weeks means the helmet you had on almost did not work, either...Glad you made it out of that one, no matter how!
dlowe102
9/2/2014 12:05pm
I wont wear a shoei I saw stars and was dizzy everytime I hit the ground when I wore one. Ive had a top pro tell me the same. I think they are to stiff

Post a reply to: Shoei Helmets and safety.

The Latest