Shock absorber rebound noise

RaNDyRider
Hello, just bought a 04 kx 85 big wheel. Everything seems to be pretty sound on it. But the shock absorber when it rebounds it makes like a quick and slows down, only when i compress it quickly the like half way up it makes a weird airy click and slows slightly. I greased and regreased the linkage and the swingarm bearings, it only started doing this once i started messing with the shock a bit. Please help im totally confused!
|
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
8/5/2019 9:34pm
Have you tried spraying WD40 or something on the spring...a process of eliminating.

You mentioned that you've done the linkage, have you cleaned, inspected and greased the swingarm pivot bearings and the bearing at the top of the shock?

motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
8/5/2019 9:43pm
I wonder if it could be a blown seal. I had a clicking noise on my shock when compressing it and then at some point I lost complete rebound damping. It was like I was bouncing on a spring. Took it to a suspension guy who took the shock apart and said it was a blown seal and replaced it. Havent had any issues since. Not sure if this is what you're describing tho.
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 5:18am
On the spring? no but will do, also it only started doing this in my garage, it was fine last ride and this morning, ill check and see though, thanks!
DA498
8/6/2019 5:33am
Get that shock rebuilt

The Shop

OtotheB178
8/6/2019 5:47am
RaNDyRider wrote:
Is it dangerous to ride on?
potentionally......
If it's a gas bladder issue/leak if it's out of nitro you'll be best off riding a high powered pogo stick. That's best case scenario.
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 7:17am
And currently it only makes the noise right before it stops at the top of the stroke
OtotheB178
8/6/2019 7:21am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 7:21am
still going to say get it rebuilt.
How long since it was last rebuilt and who by? reputable tuner or in the last owners shed?

any noises that aren't from the linkage or bearings is internal and not normal. rebuild it
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 7:27am
I dont know, i dont belive it was rebuilt, its had 3 owners (im the third). Also i cant even tell if its internal or not, ive been putting my finger on all the parts and feeling for the click, but i cant seem to put my finger on it (pun intended)
O&GDriller
8/6/2019 7:32am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 7:32am
Boomslang wrote:
Have you tried spraying WD40 or something on the spring...a process of eliminating. You mentioned that you've done the linkage, have you cleaned, inspected and greased...
Have you tried spraying WD40 or something on the spring...a process of eliminating.

You mentioned that you've done the linkage, have you cleaned, inspected and greased the swingarm pivot bearings and the bearing at the top of the shock?

Ahhh, the old spring lubrication trick. I thought only the factory wrenches were aware of this "hidden" secret. Great idea ONLY if you get the proper spring lubricant and not just any old lubricant. The ONLY product approved by the majority of spring manufacturers is the "Springeze" brand. It's hard to find but well worth the effort as it not only lubricates the spring but also minimizes stiction. It has to be good stuff as it's the only spring lube the factory mechanics will use. The Pro's state it frees up the spring to the tune of 0.50 - 1.0 seconds/lap. Go get ya' some!
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 7:34am
I dont know what that will do, i thought it was strange (still did it though) haha
8/6/2019 7:48am
RaNDyRider wrote:
I dont know, i dont belive it was rebuilt, its had 3 owners (im the third). Also i cant even tell if its internal or not...
I dont know, i dont belive it was rebuilt, its had 3 owners (im the third). Also i cant even tell if its internal or not, ive been putting my finger on all the parts and feeling for the click, but i cant seem to put my finger on it (pun intended)
Have it rebuilt. While it's being rebuilt, lube the linkage.

Anybody have........ anybody know........

RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 7:53am
Ok ill for sure look into it, how much would it cost to get it rebuilt? Whats the best place to send it?
8/6/2019 8:00am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 8:03am
RaNDyRider wrote:
Ok ill for sure look into it, how much would it cost to get it rebuilt? Whats the best place to send it?
Look around locally. There should be someone near you. Depends on what's worn out. Somewhere around $200 I'd guess. Lot cheaper than a new shock or the hospital bill after the current shock drives your spine through the top of your skull.

Much yw
8/6/2019 9:30am
RaNDyRider wrote:
What could be up with the linkage
I need to get some basic information. How old are you? Have you ever owned a dirt bike before?
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 9:44am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 9:45am
Younger, 2 technically 4 bikes, worked on them all. Im not to familiar with linkage bc 2 didnt have suspension probs, a linkless ktm that just needed to be tightend, i greased up all the bearings down their but cant see anything as a problem. The linkage isnt loose cracked or stressed. Everything looks normal. Also, "sounds like linkage to me" isnt to specific.
8/6/2019 9:54am
I ask because there's really no better advice than get your shock rebuilt and inspect and grease your linkage. If you want it done right at a fair price then send it to Slipdog in California. He'll need at least a couple weeks to get it back to you. While it's out there, take the linkage and swingarm off and grease everything. It's not hard and vital to a healthy machine. Grease it annually.
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 9:59am
Ok, thanks, you seem like a wise vet so ill take your advice and have it serviced. Thanks for the help 👍
8/6/2019 10:02am
RaNDyRider wrote:
Ok, thanks, you seem like a wise vet so ill take your advice and have it serviced. Thanks for the help 👍
I'm a vet. Not sure about the wise part. You're welcome.
Spooner
8/6/2019 10:23am
I’d say linkage for sure. I’m betting it’s just a fine rusty dust where the bearings used to be lol.
8/6/2019 11:09am
Check to see if the shock is moving in relation to the frame where it mounts. You may need an upper shock bearing. Also check all of the other bearings for slop. I have also seen on high hour shocks where the piston bushing or even the inside wall of the shock wears and you end up with little to no damping which can cause the shock to top out hard. I would definitely have the shock inspected and serviced.
8/6/2019 11:20am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 11:20am
Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but, if all else fails, you may want to take a look at the muffler bearing.
RaNDyRider
8/6/2019 11:25am
It wasnt, now as i hear it (might just be the way the frame amplifies the sound) it sounds almost in the front of the bike near the tank. Everything lookes fine up there. Any thoughts?
Spooner
8/6/2019 11:50am
RaNDyRider wrote:
It wasnt, now as i hear it (might just be the way the frame amplifies the sound) it sounds almost in the front of the bike...
It wasnt, now as i hear it (might just be the way the frame amplifies the sound) it sounds almost in the front of the bike near the tank. Everything lookes fine up there. Any thoughts?
Head bearings. Look for play between the triples and the frame.

Post a reply to: Shock absorber rebound noise

The Latest