Shipping moto bikes x-country

Spartacus
Edited Date/Time 4/6/2015 12:54pm
Any experience and recommendations, every bike I want to buy is on the west coast and I'm not.
|
mxfiend
4/4/2015 1:46pm
We just shipped one from ca to ny for around 700 ill find out who we used... probably want to ask newmann tho....
Bultaco
4/4/2015 2:45pm
I hear you. I've had to quit shopping in places I can't get to. It's all the internet's fault for making it easy to find out what's for sale 3000 miles away.
RandyS
4/4/2015 2:50pm
There used to be a place that was dirt cheap, I think it was Forward Freight. I shipped bikes a couple of times for like $200. Last time I checked it was $7-800.
Spartacus
4/4/2015 3:05pm
Bultaco wrote:
I hear you. I've had to quit shopping in places I can't get to. It's all the internet's fault for making it easy to find out...
I hear you. I've had to quit shopping in places I can't get to. It's all the internet's fault for making it easy to find out what's for sale 3000 miles away.
And I live 72 miles north west of you.............

The Shop

MXD
4/4/2015 3:41pm
Check with Ridge here on Vital. Super nice guy. He brought me an RM250 that I bought from Huntington Beach all the way to the Boston area.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
4/4/2015 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2015 4:16pm
Shipped over 20 bikes in the last 2-3 years. I would sometimes buy 3-5 at a time and have one shipper get them. I dealt with guys from uship and got several different people to bring us the bikes.

Check out David Perry, he is from the northeast and he has shipped 2 or 3 bikes for me and I think they were around $200 and $250, keep in mind these were modded klx 110s. Still, check with David, if he is going out that way Im sure he can do it for a reasonable price on his way back.

David Perry
Overdrive
4/4/2015 4:54pm
Ive used Uship.com to send multiple Harley's and have always been quite happy with the people doing the shipping. Generally I always get a reasonable bid if I wait a few days. Just check out their feedback to be sure your comfortable with the shipper who is bidding.
nytsmaC
4/4/2015 7:25pm
I've had a horrible experience with Uship and heard many others with similar stories. The guy had my bike for about 2 months and never delivered it, I had a couple of nice Vital members save me by picking it up after the Uship guy finally abandoned it 600 miles away. I rendezvous'd with them and got it, but it was a nightmare. Never again.

Newmann recommended a co. a while back and I used them last time, it was very professional, fast and cheaper than Uship. I can't remember the name now.
4/4/2015 8:27pm
Had a great experience with uship. Got a bike shipped from Hilton head to Cleveland Ohio for $200.

Make sure the shipper has awesome reviews it'll be fine.
newmann
4/4/2015 8:31pm
Crated? Echo Global.

Uncrated? Call and get a bid from Wolverine Cycle Logistics. Or check in with Ridge and see where his schedule has him at.
newmann
4/4/2015 8:31pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I've had a horrible experience with Uship and heard many others with similar stories. The guy had my bike for about 2 months and never delivered...
I've had a horrible experience with Uship and heard many others with similar stories. The guy had my bike for about 2 months and never delivered it, I had a couple of nice Vital members save me by picking it up after the Uship guy finally abandoned it 600 miles away. I rendezvous'd with them and got it, but it was a nightmare. Never again.

Newmann recommended a co. a while back and I used them last time, it was very professional, fast and cheaper than Uship. I can't remember the name now.
Echo or Wolverine?
nytsmaC
4/4/2015 10:35pm
Echo, they were great. No hassles no BS.
mxnick
4/5/2015 12:08am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2015 12:09am
I ship about 75-100 bikes per year and throughout the country. Here is what I can tell you:

1. Ridge (from this board) is awesome. If he is going your way and has the room, use him. But he is one person and America is a big place, so sometimes it does not always work.

2. Uship is really hit or miss. All depends on the driver. Make sure your driver has cargo insurance and a good feedback rating. Cargo insurance is the rub with uShip, most of those guys dont have it.

3. The tie down / pallet routine (LTL freight ) is OK but hit or miss. Plus possible damage with this option is high, and since they ship anything that will fit inside a truck. I have had more damage claims that I would care to admit with stuff falling on bikes.

4. Since October of 2014, I have used Daily Direct / Haul bikes almost exclusively. They have moved ~ 55 bikes for me. I have not really had one issue. They are insured and have a fleet of roughly 20 or 30 big rigs that cover the country. The best part is that all the haul is motorcycles, so the drivers know what they are doing and how to tie down / strap in bikes. Most importantly, they are fully insured and professional. I pay around $500 to ship a bike in the lower 48 and from point to point. Roll on, roll off, it really is the easiest option and when factored in with insurance and experience.

Can I get it for cheaper on uShip? Maybe, but its not worth the hassles and uncertainty.

If you want a hand with it, let me know, I can set you up.
Vet57
4/5/2015 3:29am
Just had a machine shipped to me from GA. I used Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping. It was the second time I've used them with the last going across US. Seamless transaction.
catatonic
4/5/2015 4:08am
Forward air used to be good.....haven't used them in a while but worth a look.
newmann
4/5/2015 6:54am
catatonic wrote:
Know what's funny about Forward Air?

They ship everything by land.

Laughing

Being based near large airports I just always thought they were an air freight company.
Trav138
4/5/2015 8:17am
Don't use Con-way freight. Bastards charged me double what they quoted. What did i learn? Always get a quote in writing.
Most commercial freight will be fast and professional, it will just cost you more than some of the others mentioned
nytsmaC
4/5/2015 10:35am
catatonic wrote:
They used to transport a bike for $150-200, but their rates have gone up 500%. Don't waste your time with them.
4/5/2015 10:45am
Taking notes here...funny, I'm on the west coast and for me the bikes (original vintage MX) always seem to be in the Midwest or on the east coast....
DemoDick
4/5/2015 11:01am
I think I am goign to go get a big trailer ad start hauling bikes for a living. seems to be a lack of people that can do it for a decent price and not screw it up.

ps. Never mind I hate riving that much. Dizzy
catatonic
4/5/2015 1:37pm
catatonic wrote:
nytsmaC wrote:
They used to transport a bike for $150-200, but their rates have gone up 500%. Don't waste your time with them.
Yup.....my buddy had a KTM dealership and used to buy a lot of used bikes across the country.....it was always about $200 to get one shipped.
Not such a great deal if the rates skyrocketed
Spartacus
4/5/2015 1:38pm
That's for all the great info and leads. I don't care what everyone says about your guys, I like you.

Keeping it in the family for now, I sent Ridge a VitalMX PM and hopefully he'll see it.

Thanks again.
catatonic
4/5/2015 1:39pm
catatonic wrote:
newmann wrote:
Know what's funny about Forward Air? They ship everything by land. :laugh: Being based near large airports I just always thought they were an air freight...
Know what's funny about Forward Air?

They ship everything by land.

Laughing

Being based near large airports I just always thought they were an air freight company.
That is odd.....never knew that.
ridge
4/6/2015 10:54am
Spartacus wrote:
That's for all the great info and leads. I don't care what everyone says about your guys, I like you. Keeping it in the family for...
That's for all the great info and leads. I don't care what everyone says about your guys, I like you.

Keeping it in the family for now, I sent Ridge a VitalMX PM and hopefully he'll see it.

Thanks again.
Sorry I couldn't be of much help on this one...hope you received my returned message.

Thanks for all the kind words...made me feel special and tingly inside. Lol
newmann
4/6/2015 12:54pm
Spartacus wrote:
That's for all the great info and leads. I don't care what everyone says about your guys, I like you. Keeping it in the family for...

Thanks again.
ridge wrote:
Sorry I couldn't be of much help on this one...hope you received my returned message. Thanks for all the kind words...made me feel special and tingly...
Sorry I couldn't be of much help on this one...hope you received my returned message.

Thanks for all the kind words...made me feel special and tingly inside. Lol
He said "tingly". Oh Navin....Ridge just found his special purpose!

https://youtu.be/yJJA6WRpvlg

Post a reply to: Shipping moto bikes x-country

The Latest