Shipping in a engine

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2018 10:58 PM

So I tore my engine apart and I’ll be sending it off to get a lot of stuff done, I’ll be sending the engine down completely tore apart. I plan on shipping it in a cooler so the engine builder has something to ship it back in when it’s complete. What can I expect to pay to ship it to him (Tn to Ga).

|

4/24/2018 11:07 PM

Why don't you go to the UPS or fedex or USPS web site and put in the info and they will tell you how much, Damn boy everybody knows that

|

Ed Johnson

4/24/2018 11:15 PM

Tn to Ga? Why not just drive it yourself?

|

4/24/2018 11:24 PM

colintrax wrote:

Tn to Ga? Why not just drive it yourself?

From where I’m at to where he’s located it’s probably about eight hours, gas both ways and food I’m assuming it’d just be cheaper and easier to ship.

|

4/24/2018 11:27 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

Why don't you go to the UPS or fedex or USPS web site and put in the info and they will tell you how much, Damn boy everybody knows that

I haven’t bought the cooler yet so before I do that I’d like to get an estimate on what it’d be to ship and the price of the cooler. Like Colin said I could possibly just drive it but if it’s cheaper to ship I’ll just do that.

|

4/24/2018 11:50 PM

Go to ups or fedex or whoever you’re shipping it with, choose your type of shipping and package details like weight and size, an then give an address and they give you a quote. I’d recommend doing your estimates on the low side since the heavier the package the more it’ll cost.

|

4/25/2018 12:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2018 12:36 AM

Why don't you just box it up how you plan on shipping it, then go the place that will ship and ask them how much it will cost? It's no obligation. Do you really expect an accurate shipping quote here? Are you just stupid or lazy?

You haven't bought the cooler yet and don't know how much it weighs. How do you expect an accurate shipping quote?

|

4/25/2018 1:26 AM

You know you can do a motor at your house. Its waaay cheaper than shipping it and paying a guy labor to do it

|

4/25/2018 2:32 AM

UPS wanted 125 dollars to ship 4 venison steaks from NY to Florida(2 day shipping) ,it might be cheaper to drive it there yourself.

|

4/25/2018 2:46 AM

zac_k3 wrote:

So I tore my engine apart and I’ll be sending it off to get a lot of stuff done, I’ll be sending the engine down completely tore apart. I plan on shipping it in a cooler so the engine builder has something to ship it back in when it’s complete. What can I expect to pay to ship it to him (Tn to Ga).

So I sent a yz125 engine to Millineium Tech from VA to WI in a plastic tub you get from Walmart. About the size of a cooler. It cost me around $75-$80 and that was standard shipping. I remember thinking “Jesus shipping is expensive.” And then I had to pay for them to ship it back of course. $150-$160 in just shipping laughing w00t pinch Hopefully this can help you out. Depending on how far you are shipping it effects the cost to ship.

|

4/25/2018 9:19 AM

Size, weight, distance, speed, and value all affect the cost.

|

4/25/2018 9:22 AM

$84.62

|

4/25/2018 9:38 AM

About three fiddy

|

4/25/2018 10:08 AM

Carlton_Fartman wrote:

$84.62

Haha. Not sure if response or your name is funnier

|

4/25/2018 10:35 AM

I bought a 1979 YZ250 engine off ebay,the guy put the engine in a big plastic bag because it had oil in the tranny,put that in a box with some newspaper and then put that box in another box and sent it from Indiana to my biz in Tucson.
Terrible packing job,the top of spark plug was smashed and one of the fins on the head was partially chipped off and of course covered in oil because it leaked oil from the breather and the counter shaft seal. I needed some of the parts for my vintage racer.
It came by UPS $39.00

|

4/25/2018 10:37 AM

I shipped an assembled CR500 engine with the carb, ignition and kicker from Arkansas to Texas. Shipped in a cooler that cost $20. Shipping by Fedex was around $50 if I remember right. This was less than 3 years ago.

|

4/25/2018 10:51 AM

Mount it in a crate or write off a saturday to drive it. Tossing it in a cooler doesn't sound so good.

|

4/25/2018 11:08 AM

large industrial plastic bag. large double walled box bought from a shipping supplier. ship. should be in 50-60$ range.

i've shipped snowmobile motors back and forth to MN from MI and this is the best way to do motors IMO.

cutting Styrofoam and/or wood pieces to block up the motor inside the box is the key....and double walled box is important.

|

4/25/2018 11:09 AM

Cooler works great. Cost me $120 to ship a RM250 engine from PA to WA 2 tears ago. Just use a lot of crumbled up paper and a garbage bag. Tape engine openings closed. I wrapped the cooler in card board. Use a generous amount of tape on the cooler lid.

|

4/25/2018 11:22 AM

I always use a milk crate from a food store, sturdy and light and just return it when the motor comes back. Simple

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

4/25/2018 11:42 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what the title means.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

4/25/2018 12:38 PM

JBernard_401 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what the title means.

Ya know, he's "Shippin' it in" to his dude to fix the motor. I think it's more of a phrase. "I'm shipping in an engine to a repair shop" is what you would normally say.

|

4/25/2018 1:02 PM

kNewc wrote:

Ya know, he's "Shippin' it in" to his dude to fix the motor. I think it's more of a phrase. "I'm shipping in an engine to a repair shop" is what you would normally say.

I think he means he's trying to put things in the crankcase and ship that as the box. Do you know how much that would cost?

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

4/25/2018 1:21 PM

I sent a CR engine today to GA from TN for 66 bucks inside a cooler. (from east tn to ga/fl line) Hope that helps - USPS. You can't get online for a price, the only way is to walk into your local post office. Be honest with the value in case of insurance, but have sent several in a cooler with no issues. Water logged cooler = you paying to ship water weight. You can try fedex or ups but the price will be more then taking it to the post office.

Do not trust any shipping company to not turn it over. They roll em around and don't give a flying fuck if a label says this side up or whatever so make sure the lid won't pop open when all that weight hits it.

|

4/25/2018 1:26 PM

Just to clear things up for everyone. My engine is completely taken a part, cases split and everything. Everything is bagged and the cases are wrapped up in bubble wrap. If I do go the shipping route I have to send something big enough for him to be able to send the bottom end back to me in. The cylinder will be sent down as well but the top end will not be reassembled, I’m not asking for an exact price on what it’d cost but an estimate. For those who did that thank you, I thought the best way would be the cooler but with the size it’d probably be pretty expensive to ship. As much as I’d like to drive it down I usually work every Saturday and Sunday 8 hours on top of a wild Monday-Friday schedule.

|

4/25/2018 1:31 PM

Yeah dude. You're gonna want to build a crate to ship it. Buy two pieces of 1x8x8 lumber and you'll have more than enough to make a good crate and make mistakes doing it.

|

4/25/2018 1:55 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

Just to clear things up for everyone. My engine is completely taken a part, cases split and everything. Everything is bagged and the cases are wrapped up in bubble wrap. If I do go the shipping route I have to send something big enough for him to be able to send the bottom end back to me in. The cylinder will be sent down as well but the top end will not be reassembled, I’m not asking for an exact price on what it’d cost but an estimate. For those who did that thank you, I thought the best way would be the cooler but with the size it’d probably be pretty expensive to ship. As much as I’d like to drive it down I usually work every Saturday and Sunday 8 hours on top of a wild Monday-Friday schedule.

Cooler, USPS = Done.

|

4/25/2018 1:59 PM

Shipping costs are mostly based on the weight. You may have to pay a few bucks for a over size charge but if you try any other way then a cooler, your working to hard, thinking to hard and spending to much money. If you wasn't having it returned, you could bust it down using flat rate shipping but you are having it sent back to you.

|

4/25/2018 2:16 PM

I’ve shipped quite a few engines. I usually buy a plastic tub, pack the engine in there with bubble wrap and what not, then zip tie the lid on. I used to be able to ship them just like that, but now Fedex requires it to be in a box (so stupid). I usually paid around $75-125. FedEx was always cheaper than UPS for me. Their ground shipping is pretty fast too.

|

4/25/2018 2:28 PM

This is one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever seen.

Copy and paste this link: https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

Fill out the form and get your answer. All you need are your from/to ZIP codes and a rough idea of weight and dimension. Please report back when you have completed this step.

|