Shin Splints?

navalseabee
Has anyone in here ever got shin splints from riding? I experience some major lower front shin pain thing to figure out if it's shin splints or maybe my knee braces just overtime bruising my shin bone or something else. It's pretty isolated front of my shin bone, pain starts right around where my knee brace ends. It's also painful to the touch, does not hurt to walk. If I go without motrin it'll turn into a nagging constant pain.

I've had my medical department check me out a few times now, imaging of the area shows no stress fractures. I'm leaning away from shin splints as typically the pain is relieved as you warm up the muscles, this never gets any better. Been dealing with this on and off for a few years now.

Curious if anyone has experienced something similar.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/5/2021 9:22am
I definitely get sore in that area, but not shin splint-level pain. I've pretty much isolated it down to "walking around in my boots" syndrome. On days when I take the boots off between motos, no problem. Maybe try that and see if you find relief.
navalseabee
4/5/2021 1:33pm
Falcon wrote:
I definitely get sore in that area, but not shin splint-level pain. I've pretty much isolated it down to "walking around in my boots" syndrome. On...
I definitely get sore in that area, but not shin splint-level pain. I've pretty much isolated it down to "walking around in my boots" syndrome. On days when I take the boots off between motos, no problem. Maybe try that and see if you find relief.
Hadn't crossed my mind, I'll give it a go.
Zycki11
4/5/2021 2:21pm
Strengthen your quads/hams/glutes.
wvumounty
4/5/2021 6:14pm
It’s not really a stress fracture but more of a stress reaction where the muscle inserts along the medial tibia. Tough to see on x-ray. A nuclear medicine bone scan can be helpful to rule out “shin splints”.

The Shop

CG118
4/6/2021 3:46am
Sounds like your boot is crushing the lower end of the brace against your shin. Maybe try to pad that area somehow to see if it gives a little relief? Extra thick socks, mole skin, .......
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
4/6/2021 4:01am
Never got that riding, but definitely from snow skiing. But I could see how that could happen, especially if your boots are causing your feet to be pointed up a bit and not flat (if that makes sense). The only thing I've found to help is a lot of stretching, both pre/post activity and on off days. That and hydration. Hope that helps
navalseabee
4/6/2021 4:28am
CG118 wrote:
Sounds like your boot is crushing the lower end of the brace against your shin. Maybe try to pad that area somehow to see if it...
Sounds like your boot is crushing the lower end of the brace against your shin. Maybe try to pad that area somehow to see if it gives a little relief? Extra thick socks, mole skin, .......
I think you're right. I'm going to try to take the above advice, and not wear the boots as much as possible each riding day. If that doesn't seem to help the braces are coming off and we will see what happens.

Post a reply to: Shin Splints?

The Latest