Shifting With the Clutch

c0ncEpT
4/10/2018 8:01am
Never down and sometimes I will just dab it if it doesn't want to up shift at wide open.
gt80rider
4/10/2018 8:06am
I remember the last time this thread came up. LOL

I feather clutch up so i don't have to back off the revs, no clutch coming down for me.
billyp330
4/10/2018 8:15am
I'm confused on why so many say they don't use clutch on downshift. Only time I downshift is when I'm coming into corner so I also have to be braking and therefore need clutch so I don't stall bike.

I don't use clutch to up shift my 450 but I do on my ninja. 450 shifts perfect without clutch where as its definitely smoother with clutch on my ninja
Skylebones
4/10/2018 8:24am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 8:25am
Can you non-clutch guys explain to me how you upshift while wide open. I seriously don't get how this is possible or how it's "quicker" than...
Can you non-clutch guys explain to me how you upshift while wide open. I seriously don't get how this is possible or how it's "quicker" than staying wide open and feathering the clutch momentarily for an upshift. Every time I've tried shifting up while accelerating, even if letting off the throttle slightly, I'm feeling resistance from the transmission and/or it feels like I'm hurting the transmission.
Not quite sure about shifting while WOT. As far as I know you have to unload the transmission a bit.

This is the vid that convinced me to start doing clutchless shifting.

https://youtu.be/viWuolNYGyI

The Shop

4/10/2018 9:39am
Can you non-clutch guys explain to me how you upshift while wide open. I seriously don't get how this is possible or how it's "quicker" than...
Can you non-clutch guys explain to me how you upshift while wide open. I seriously don't get how this is possible or how it's "quicker" than staying wide open and feathering the clutch momentarily for an upshift. Every time I've tried shifting up while accelerating, even if letting off the throttle slightly, I'm feeling resistance from the transmission and/or it feels like I'm hurting the transmission.
I highly doubt these guys are doing it with the throttle to the stop when they say wide open. Just because you're givin' her the beans doesn't mean you're wide open to the throttle stop. If you're on the rev limiter and trying to shift you're shifting to late anyway. I just try to upshift without changing throttle position and if it gives resistance I roll off ever so slightly until it shifts. I'm probably around 1/2-3/4 throttle when shifting under acceleration. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's all by feel. The lower in the RPM range the easier it is. The faster it's spinning the harder it is for the gears to mesh. Decreasing forward drive is what you're looking for. Pulling in the clutch, no matter how much, is accomplishing the same thing. It's taking a partial load off the transmission to help mesh the gears.
omalley
4/10/2018 12:49pm
Never on downshifts, barely pull the lever on upshifts to take the load off.
None on upshifts or downshifts in the air.
TXDirt
4/10/2018 1:00pm
I highly doubt these guys are doing it with the throttle to the stop when they say wide open. Just because you're givin' her the beans...
I highly doubt these guys are doing it with the throttle to the stop when they say wide open. Just because you're givin' her the beans doesn't mean you're wide open to the throttle stop. If you're on the rev limiter and trying to shift you're shifting to late anyway. I just try to upshift without changing throttle position and if it gives resistance I roll off ever so slightly until it shifts. I'm probably around 1/2-3/4 throttle when shifting under acceleration. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's all by feel. The lower in the RPM range the easier it is. The faster it's spinning the harder it is for the gears to mesh. Decreasing forward drive is what you're looking for. Pulling in the clutch, no matter how much, is accomplishing the same thing. It's taking a partial load off the transmission to help mesh the gears.
X2.

Several of us have said you need to blip the throttle slightly to take the load off the tranny right when you shift to get that smooth as butter up-shift. It's all by feel and happens in fractions of a second. This is why you don't lose any time compared to "shifting while wide open" because you can't really shift while wide open unless you use the clutch. Too much pressure on the tranny and gears. It's all by feel. If you are already maxed out on RPM's to the point you can only use the clutch to up-shift, you are late shifting anyways. So using your clutch doesn't make up for that fact.

I'm speaking only about SX/MX racing. Not anything else.

You can go watch some old two stroke videos and you can hear especially on the starts when guys blip the throttle to hit that next gear. That's all up up-shifting with no clutch. You can hear it by the sound of the throttle. Good starters can feel exactly when to hit that next gear. Using a clutch would really only slow them down.
BobPA
4/10/2018 1:31pm
Motofinne wrote:
Both. But a 450 the last two years.

No need of blipping the throttle when shifting.
Post a video of you holding the bike wide open, on a start straight for example, and shifting without blipping the throttle. It is physically impossible on my bikes to shift while they are under load.
MVmoto
4/10/2018 1:32pm
disbanded wrote:
I quit shifting years ago
This is hilarious!
You can get away with not using the clutch in Moto/Supercross but I use my clutch on every shift, I feel like a neanderthal without. In other forms of motorcycle riding and racing, the clutch is very important. The clutch can help with rear wheel speed and traction. I've heard Nicky Hayden say he doesn't use a slipper clutch because he has that feel in his clutch lever and he doesn't need a slipper clutch to help him with traction. Also, enduro riders use the clutch to help gain traction on climbs, descents etc. I use the clutch a lot on my trials bike for sure! Street bike's too. My CBR didn't come from the factory with a quick shifter... One key thing MotoVentures teaches with beginners is clutch control and throttle control. Also it will help prevent whisky throttle for new riders.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
4/10/2018 1:35pm
A former racer, now trainer, taught my son to only use the clutch off the start or if in trouble. We went from burning clutches on supermini's weekly to a stock clutch lasting 120+ hours on a 15 YZ250F. Did have to replace the second gear though during a complete rebuilt!! Recently he has since started back abusing the clutch a little, I am trying to get him off of it. He has been of the yamahas for a couple of weeks and has been riding a new KTM 450 FE. I am going to put him back on the 250F tomorrow after a moto on the KTM and see how the transition is. He is supposed to race both bikes Saturday! Not sure how going from the hydro back to the cable pull is going to be for him....
kkawboy14
4/10/2018 1:38pm
Slipping the clutch burns it up, on off the clutch shouldn’t be that big of a problem
TXDirt
disbanded wrote:
MVmoto wrote:
This is hilarious! You can get away with not using the clutch in Moto/Supercross but I use my clutch on every shift, I feel like a...
This is hilarious!
You can get away with not using the clutch in Moto/Supercross but I use my clutch on every shift, I feel like a neanderthal without. In other forms of motorcycle riding and racing, the clutch is very important. The clutch can help with rear wheel speed and traction. I've heard Nicky Hayden say he doesn't use a slipper clutch because he has that feel in his clutch lever and he doesn't need a slipper clutch to help him with traction. Also, enduro riders use the clutch to help gain traction on climbs, descents etc. I use the clutch a lot on my trials bike for sure! Street bike's too. My CBR didn't come from the factory with a quick shifter... One key thing MotoVentures teaches with beginners is clutch control and throttle control. Also it will help prevent whisky throttle for new riders.
No one said anything about not using the clutch for traction control, climbs, throttle control, etc etc. (maybe some did but not me).

This was sort of specific to using the clutch while shifting.

The clutch is important in sx/mx racing. Just not as it pertains to shifting.
kkawboy14
Slipping the clutch burns it up, on off the clutch shouldn’t be that big of a problem. Also flogging it in a gear to high will kill it
TXDirt
4/10/2018 1:40pm
Motofinne wrote:
Both. But a 450 the last two years.

No need of blipping the throttle when shifting.
BobPA wrote:
Post a video of you holding the bike wide open, on a start straight for example, and shifting without blipping the throttle. It is physically impossible...
Post a video of you holding the bike wide open, on a start straight for example, and shifting without blipping the throttle. It is physically impossible on my bikes to shift while they are under load.
I was thinking same thing. You can't shift while wide open. He's probably blipping throttle and doesn't even realize it. From wide open, blip throttle, smooth up-shift back to wide open is all a single motion and performed in hundredths of a second probably.
MVmoto
4/10/2018 2:26pm
disbanded wrote:
MVmoto wrote:
This is hilarious! You can get away with not using the clutch in Moto/Supercross but I use my clutch on every shift, I feel like a...
This is hilarious!
TXDirt wrote:
No one said anything about not using the clutch for traction control, climbs, throttle control, etc etc. (maybe some did but not me). This was sort...
No one said anything about not using the clutch for traction control, climbs, throttle control, etc etc. (maybe some did but not me).

This was sort of specific to using the clutch while shifting.

The clutch is important in sx/mx racing. Just not as it pertains to shifting.
Sorry for the rant, I just have to laugh when I hear one person telling another to shift without using the clutch....
plowboy
4/10/2018 5:16pm
I think this topic has exposed another matter. I believe there are people that can "feel" what an engine needs in any given situation: throttle, clutch, upshift/downshift. Others believe that keeping the throttle pinned and regulating everything with the clutch is the answer to going fast. I'm not stupid....I see most pro's use the clutch method. The major factor is they don't have to pay for parts. I'd like to hear a factory mech tell us how often they have to replace the clutch plates.
b_kowalsk
4/10/2018 6:04pm
I always cover my clutch with one finger and use it on every shift. It feels wrong to me if I don't use it like I am putting unnecessary wear on the transmission.
UPSman334
4/10/2018 8:09pm
I always use the clutch on my harley, always. Dirt bike is diffrent
murph783
4/11/2018 5:01am
billyp330 wrote:
I'm confused on why so many say they don't use clutch on downshift. Only time I downshift is when I'm coming into corner so I also...
I'm confused on why so many say they don't use clutch on downshift. Only time I downshift is when I'm coming into corner so I also have to be braking and therefore need clutch so I don't stall bike.

I don't use clutch to up shift my 450 but I do on my ninja. 450 shifts perfect without clutch where as its definitely smoother with clutch on my ninja
That’s one thing every trainer I worked with harped on, do not have the clutch pulled in during braking. You want to modulate the rear brake so that the bike doesn’t stall, but you get the most engine braking possible coming into th corner. I’ll actually stall pop start my bike coming into corners on occasion
billyp330
4/11/2018 5:44am
billyp330 wrote:
I'm confused on why so many say they don't use clutch on downshift. Only time I downshift is when I'm coming into corner so I also...

murph783 wrote:
That’s one thing every trainer I worked with harped on, do not have the clutch pulled in during braking. You want to modulate the rear brake...
That’s one thing every trainer I worked with harped on, do not have the clutch pulled in during braking. You want to modulate the rear brake so that the bike doesn’t stall, but you get the most engine braking possible coming into th corner. I’ll actually stall pop start my bike coming into corners on occasion
That is interesting as I have never heard of that. Honestly makes zero sense to me for corner entry speed, unless you are just trying to save brake pads, as I don't see a speed advantage by using engine braking more effectively vs using all brakes into corners.

However, maybe it helps keep the power to rear wheel as it eliminates engine free rev, thus keeping better torque mid corner and while exiting corner? That would make logical sense to me.

Interested in why this was never discussed while I attended RCU in 2010. They mostly just harped on body position, balance, and front brake usage for cornering speed. I was in Intermediate group I believe though, not expert, so they may have considered that a more advanced technique, not sure.

Will definitely try this the next time I ride.
Turbojez
4/11/2018 6:08am
billyp330 wrote:
That is interesting as I have never heard of that. Honestly makes zero sense to me for corner entry speed, unless you are just trying to...
That is interesting as I have never heard of that. Honestly makes zero sense to me for corner entry speed, unless you are just trying to save brake pads, as I don't see a speed advantage by using engine braking more effectively vs using all brakes into corners.

However, maybe it helps keep the power to rear wheel as it eliminates engine free rev, thus keeping better torque mid corner and while exiting corner? That would make logical sense to me.

Interested in why this was never discussed while I attended RCU in 2010. They mostly just harped on body position, balance, and front brake usage for cornering speed. I was in Intermediate group I believe though, not expert, so they may have considered that a more advanced technique, not sure.

Think of it as braking with vs braking without ABS system in your car. Braking distance is always shorter, when the tire doesn't lock up.
When you learn to use the rear brake so that you do not stall the engine, that means you're rear wheel is braking while remaining tractable, therefore slowing your bike more, than it would just sliding behind you, while fully locked.
Not to mention there's a pretty big risk of your bike getting into a brakeslide and forcing you to change the entry line into the turn if you clutch and stomp on the brake.
billyp330
4/11/2018 6:46am
Turbojez wrote:
Think of it as braking with vs braking without ABS system in your car. Braking distance is always shorter, when the tire doesn't lock up. When...
Think of it as braking with vs braking without ABS system in your car. Braking distance is always shorter, when the tire doesn't lock up.
When you learn to use the rear brake so that you do not stall the engine, that means you're rear wheel is braking while remaining tractable, therefore slowing your bike more, than it would just sliding behind you, while fully locked.
Not to mention there's a pretty big risk of your bike getting into a brakeslide and forcing you to change the entry line into the turn if you clutch and stomp on the brake.
Iv always been aware of keeping my rear wheel from locking up, so using the clutch doesn't really change anything there for me. Great analogy though.

Now that I'm thinking about this more, I actually do use this technique a little when I ride my ninja, bc it keeps the rear tire from breaking loose on tight corners. I don't track ride street or anything, but just do it while I'm having some fun cruising, hence why I never actually put any thought into it.

Also just talked to my bro, whos always been better through corners then me, and he said he doesn't use the clutch while entering the corners when we race bc he just doesn't feel like he has enough time to think about pulling it in lol One time we were having a nice little backyard track battle and he was blowing my mind bc he had no clutch lever on his bike, so I was thinking while we were battling, how the hell is he doing this and it was pissing me off that he was still just as fast as me haha now I see why. Cant believe iv been doing this wrong my whole riding/racing life and never thought about it more.

This could open a whole new door for me lol Can't wait to start practicing this.
4/11/2018 7:40am
So Howerton had this clutch thing all wrong and using it actually slowed his Husky down.......
4/11/2018 8:17am
billyp330 wrote:

murph783 wrote:
That’s one thing every trainer I worked with harped on, do not have the clutch pulled in during braking. You want to modulate the rear brake...
billyp330 wrote:
That is interesting as I have never heard of that. Honestly makes zero sense to me for corner entry speed, unless you are just trying to...

Just like in road racing you want maximum stopping power when entering a corner. You don't get that when the tire is locked up. Just like you don't try and lock up your front brake. Locking up the rear should be for pivoting, not stopping (IMO). If you don't use a clutch you're forced to modulate brake pressure instead of just slamming on it. Having the motor still engaging helps keep the rear wheel from locking up while also keeping the tire more planted on corner entry and not bouncing off of everything.
plowboy
4/11/2018 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 2:58pm
Halfast816 wrote:
So Howerton had this clutch thing all wrong and using it actually slowed his Husky down.......

I wonder if Kent was left handed and he just had more control on the clutch than throttle....just a thought.
hyler199
4/11/2018 3:12pm
disbanded wrote:
lmao this^^^

man this thread makes my head hurt. Obvious how many moto bros are on here. Clutch is our middle name in the single track woods lmao
mark_swart
4/11/2018 4:08pm
Turbojez wrote:
Think of it as braking with vs braking without ABS system in your car. Braking distance is always shorter, when the tire doesn't lock up. When...
billyp330 wrote:
Iv always been aware of keeping my rear wheel from locking up, so using the clutch doesn't really change anything there for me. Great analogy though...
Iv always been aware of keeping my rear wheel from locking up, so using the clutch doesn't really change anything there for me. Great analogy though.

Now that I'm thinking about this more, I actually do use this technique a little when I ride my ninja, bc it keeps the rear tire from breaking loose on tight corners. I don't track ride street or anything, but just do it while I'm having some fun cruising, hence why I never actually put any thought into it.

Also just talked to my bro, whos always been better through corners then me, and he said he doesn't use the clutch while entering the corners when we race bc he just doesn't feel like he has enough time to think about pulling it in lol One time we were having a nice little backyard track battle and he was blowing my mind bc he had no clutch lever on his bike, so I was thinking while we were battling, how the hell is he doing this and it was pissing me off that he was still just as fast as me haha now I see why. Cant believe iv been doing this wrong my whole riding/racing life and never thought about it more.

This could open a whole new door for me lol Can't wait to start practicing this.
Using the engine braking on corner entry without pulling the clutch in also keeps a more consistent load on the suspension, so that the chassis stays settled as you go into the corner. I generally stay in whatever gear I may have been in on the previous straight while braking, then downshift in the turn with a finger on clutch to use it on the corner exit if necessary. The clutch gives you the flexibility to compensate if your speed isn't exactly suited to the RPM and the power delivery of your bike (obviously you will rely on clutch a lot more on a 125 vs a 450F).
peelout
4/11/2018 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 4:15pm
billyp330 wrote:

next time you go to the track take your clutch lever off and set up a corner track and just work on the technique. takes practice, but soon you'll never think of using your clutch in corners.

basically the idea is to go faster through corners you are either on the gas or on the brakes. as you're entering the corner you are braking and down-shifting which will keep the engine from stalling out without pulling the clutch in. as said above, pulling the clutch in will allow the back wheel to lock up and force a straight line turn, this is bad unless doing a brake slide. watch some Gary Semics videos on it, i'm sure there's something on youtube.

Post a reply to: Shifting With the Clutch

The Latest