Sherco SE 300 Factory Edition

flatout111
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 7:23am
So, I'm considering pulling the trigger on moving one of my KTM MX bikes for a new Sherco SE 300 Factory Edition two stroke. Have the new in line just making sure. Anyone with any experience with them? I've spoke with Clay Stuckey (who recently just sold the US distribution) and he spoke very highly of the build quality. The Factory Edition has a lot of nice extras such as skid plate, cooling fan, Selle Dalla Velle seat, Factory graphics, FMF pipe and silencer, KYB suspension.

My goal is to do either the Iron or possibly the Bronze class at Red Bull Romaniacs within the next few years...before I get too old. Smile So that is my reasoning for starting being more serious into hard enduro. But kinda want a little something different, bike wise.

Any thoughts?

The SE 300 Factory is obviously way more capable than I am as Sherco won Romaniacs last year with Wade Young. Both Wade and Mario Roman have been consistent top 5 finishers of most hard enduro races including several wins and both in the top 5 at Erzberg a couple of weeks ago.

|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
6/13/2019 1:19pm
I don't know about the new ones, but a friend of mine has a '17 SE-R Factory 300. He let me ride it back in January.

I like the suspension on my KTM better, only because it's what I'm used to and it's set up for me. And his bars were way too low for me. But other than that, I loved the bike. It seemed to handle the crazy technical stuff a bit better than the KTM, but the KTM was maybe better for some of the faster sections. Could've all been due to our different setups though.

The fit and finish, and the components are all top notch. Definitely not a bike where you're compromising anything.

I've been considering making the switch myself ever since.

Good luck in preparing for Romaniacs. That's on my bucket list for sure.
sam hain
6/13/2019 1:28pm
I had a 17 300 2stk, didn't like the bike. Heavy for a 2stk, motor was basically all mid range. Bottom end was weak, top end was ok if you used the hot side of the map switch. I also didn't like the electronic PV, kinda unpredictable. Suspension on mine was WP OC forks, it worked good and the bike did turn well. That was its only strengths. Resale was terrible, I paid mid 9's for it and sold it with 12hrs on it for 5700. Had it for sale for over a month and had one offer on it, just wanted it gone so I took the hit. Also keep in mind Clay has sold the US distribution to RYP. Sherco dealers in my area dropped like flies last year. I know of three within a 300mile radius that dropped sherco. Just some things to ponder.
agn5009
6/13/2019 1:40pm
Just get the KTM/Husky 300. Great resale value, more options for aftermarket parts, more dealers etc. honestly the Sherco is a nice bike but I didn’t like it as much as my husky. It felt so heavy to me. It’s definitely a worthy contender as far as what it can do but for a guy like me who’s a Vet A rider and middle class earnings I wouldn’t want to take that big hit trying to sell it. I had a 2014 KTM 300 I sold for 5k last year. Imagine what a sherco would be worth when it’s almost 5 years old. 2500-3k if you’re lucky enough to find someone who knows what it is.
flatout111
6/14/2019 7:04am
agn5009 wrote:
Just get the KTM/Husky 300. Great resale value, more options for aftermarket parts, more dealers etc. honestly the Sherco is a nice bike but I didn’t...
Just get the KTM/Husky 300. Great resale value, more options for aftermarket parts, more dealers etc. honestly the Sherco is a nice bike but I didn’t like it as much as my husky. It felt so heavy to me. It’s definitely a worthy contender as far as what it can do but for a guy like me who’s a Vet A rider and middle class earnings I wouldn’t want to take that big hit trying to sell it. I had a 2014 KTM 300 I sold for 5k last year. Imagine what a sherco would be worth when it’s almost 5 years old. 2500-3k if you’re lucky enough to find someone who knows what it is.
Being honest, part of the reason I am looking at the Sherco SE 300 factory is that the dealer is offering me like a whole lot more for my 17.5 KTM SXF FE...like 2 grand more for it than my local KTM and Husky dealers are offering. I think a lot of it is that the Sherco guy knows it will prob sell easier than a more obscure brand like Sherco. Obscure in the US that is. In Europe, Sherco is pretty well known and I would put their build qualities up there with KTM and Husky and above Beta and GasGas. Personal opinion.

So basically it's almost a straight trade for a brand new19 SE 300 Factory. I have a few MX bikes so I am contemplating it because I need a true enduro bike that I can work with, on and prepare. Honestly, I know my decision shouldn't be based just off that but it is a big factor if one dealer is offering a whole lot more for what you have.

Obviously, resale here will be not nearly as good but I'm not sure I want to buy a bike based off the idea that I'm selling it before I even have it.

I also have inquired with my friend Klaus Sorenson who used to be the Romaniacs track director. He will prob give the most insight on the bike but I also didn't know if any here had any experiences since I come here daily.

Thanks for any and all input.

The Shop

flatout111
6/14/2019 7:22am
Some research I did shows the Sherco SE 300 Factory is 4 lbs heavier than the 2019 KTM XC-W TPI but the Sherco Factory Edition also comes with a skid plate, cooling fan, and radiator guards that the KTM doesn't so that must be taken into account. So pretty much on par with the lightest bike in the class. Seat height a bit lower. Anyone with experience know how the bike feels, ergo wise? A review at Dirt Bike Channel said it was one of the thinnest bikes around. He reviewed the 17 300. Can anyone tell me how it feels ergo and size wise in comparison to a XC-W?

https://shercooffroad.com/motorcycles/2019-sherco-factory/2019-sherco-3…

agn5009
6/14/2019 7:40am
agn5009 wrote:
Just get the KTM/Husky 300. Great resale value, more options for aftermarket parts, more dealers etc. honestly the Sherco is a nice bike but I didn’t...
flatout111 wrote:
Being honest, part of the reason I am looking at the Sherco SE 300 factory is that the dealer is offering me like a whole lot...
Being honest, part of the reason I am looking at the Sherco SE 300 factory is that the dealer is offering me like a whole lot more for my 17.5 KTM SXF FE...like 2 grand more for it than my local KTM and Husky dealers are offering. I think a lot of it is that the Sherco guy knows it will prob sell easier than a more obscure brand like Sherco. Obscure in the US that is. In Europe, Sherco is pretty well known and I would put their build qualities up there with KTM and Husky and above Beta and GasGas. Personal opinion.

So basically it's almost a straight trade for a brand new19 SE 300 Factory. I have a few MX bikes so I am contemplating it because I need a true enduro bike that I can work with, on and prepare. Honestly, I know my decision shouldn't be based just off that but it is a big factor if one dealer is offering a whole lot more for what you have.

Obviously, resale here will be not nearly as good but I'm not sure I want to buy a bike based off the idea that I'm selling it before I even have it.

I also have inquired with my friend Klaus Sorenson who used to be the Romaniacs track director. He will prob give the most insight on the bike but I also didn't know if any here had any experiences since I come here daily.

Thanks for any and all input.
If resale value and availability of aftermarket parts doesn’t bother you then I say go for it! I know 5 guys who bought 2019s. 3 of the 5 absolutely love them. The 2 that hated them are really, really good extreme enduro riders. I’m talking finishing top 15 overall at extreme enduro events. They both got rid of them within a month of having them. One went back to a Husky and one went back to a KTM. It’s so hard to judge what bike is good for one person vs the next.
Dixon893
6/14/2019 8:02am
I've got a 17 sherco factory 300, I've been Hare scrambling Vet A for 2 seasons now have a good 150hrs on her, she is well broken in, haha. never had any engine issues, I have had some electrical issues with the PV plug and the voltage reg, starter has never let me down, suspension is solid had to have it revalved stiffer for my skill level. Parts are not an issue, they are easy to acquire I've broke a lot of things pounding it thru the woods, it always makes it to the line for the next weekend.

I also have a 17 Ktm 350sx model that I ride, mainly moto and sprint enduro. I needed something with a bit of forgiveness in the suspension im not a moto guy so suspension gets well used at the moto track, suspension is obviously stiffer which isn't ideal for running over trail trash, but great for coming up short and any jump I hit.

Resale isn't my friend with the sherco, I'm probable going to be holding onto that one longer than the KTM.

Post a reply to: Sherco SE 300 Factory Edition

The Latest