Shell rotella t4 diesel engine oil for yz250 2t?

TerryB
6/12/2022 5:31pm
Moto96 wrote:
Thats all false and been proven. Lots of street bike guys use regular car oil because its better for the engine and the clutches dont slip...
Thats all false and been proven. Lots of street bike guys use regular car oil because its better for the engine and the clutches dont slip unless they are shot anyway.
Good car oils can handle far more heat and pressure than alot of top quality MC oil. Sad but true. Hard to argue hard facts.

To my surprise, the diesel oils are worse for protection than same brand car oils. They are just designed to handle more soot.

That said, T4 is Jaso MA and MA2 rated for wet clutches..........

You don't know what you are talking about. Motorcycle engines generate far more heat and rpm than gas autos. Motorcycles also, generally, share their transmission oil with the motor. Motorcycles require higher shear-strength from their oil and higher thermal breakdown protection. Automotive oil is more slippery than typical motorcycle oils though. Friction modifiers help those cylinder walls and crank journals go hundreds of thousands of miles. Yes, motorcycle oils are a compromise in that area. There is a reason you could run fric-mod oils in the CRF's when they had separate gear boxes. And also why you were not supposed to run the fric-mod stuff in the gearbox. Automotive (gas) oils and motorcycle oils are different animals. Diesel oil is a better match for a bike than automotive oil is, though.
Broseph
6/12/2022 5:47pm
crusher773 wrote:
Or get motorcycle oil for your motorcycle. Amsoil
What’s motorcycle oil?
TerryB
6/12/2022 5:48pm
alien wrote:
In 2001 I was still an AMA pro mx racer. At the buds creek national I was killing time before practice by wandering around the pits...
In 2001 I was still an AMA pro mx racer. At the buds creek national I was killing time before practice by wandering around the pits looking at the factory bikes. I think it was Timmy Ferry riding the four stroke Yamaha that year , his mechanic had just finished adding oil to his bike then threw the bottle in the trash can. I was curious what exotic oil they used in a factory four stroke so I looked in the trash and it was a bottle of mobil 1 15/50. That was the only bottle of oil in the trash can by the way. The next year I raced a KTM 520 sx and used the same mobil 1 15/50 . If Yamaha thought that highly of mobil 1 it should be good enough for me.

Right. But they replace his clutch every moto.
LungButter
6/12/2022 7:07pm
crusher773 wrote:
What makes it “motorcycle oil”? The marketing department?

The Shop

Sandusky26
6/13/2022 1:33am
crusher773 wrote:
I’m a Rotella dealer, I can hook you up.
NoMuff2Tuff
6/13/2022 3:53am
If you want to find some of the most useful and honest information on engine oils I highly recommend you go to the site from "540 rat oil test". This independent engineer is obsessed with testing engine oils and explains everything you want to know about the ratings, protection, things like what friction modifiers do and don't do and just about every oil he test he samples and gives a breakdown of what % chemicals are actually in each oil. Its a lot of reading and very helpful in helping you make a decision on what oil to run in you personal vehicle or motorcycle. He try's to clear up a lot of fact and fiction about engine oils and helps you make your own decision on what oils to use.
swordfish
6/13/2022 4:35am
Rotella T4 now has a little motorcycle image on the package. It’s fine for engine oil and clutches in motorcycles.

Post a reply to: Shell rotella t4 diesel engine oil for yz250 2t?

The Latest