Shell rotella t4 diesel engine oil for yz250 2t?

BikeGuy321
10/14/2018 12:58am
The manual for my 02 CR250 says that 10-40 non energy conserving is totally fine for the gearbox. 2 stroke tranny oil shouldn't have to work too hard unless you're really bad at shifting or you enjoy abusing your clutch.

Thumpers are totally different because they run hotter and the same oil lubes the gears and the top end on some models.
mx317
10/14/2018 6:37am
Broseph wrote:
Rotella T4 carries the same JASO ratings as the oils with pictures of dirt bikes on the bottles. What makes Rotella not a "correct" motorcycle oil?
Additives. It's diesel oil. Sure it'll work though.

I've heard pancake syrup works well to if you change it often. Grinning
Broseph wrote:
How does the additive package differ between oil marketed towards motorcycles and Rotella T4?
He can't tell you Broseph.
PFitzG38
10/14/2018 8:50am
If you have a $10 head you can buy a $10 helmet. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and your thinking about putting oil in it from pep boys?

Rotella ThumperTalk Fan Boys please save your breath with me. I'll give you one "Whatever" and that's it.
BR8ES
10/14/2018 9:03am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2018 9:04am
If it makes you feel better to run an oil that has a motorcycle silhoutte and pay double or the oil that has paid the mfg for the right to be spec'd versus the years with success(both anecdotal and backed with oil analysis) be it ATF, Rotella, Mobil 15w50 or their Euro car 0w40(Zip Ty Racing used this alot), I will give you one last "whatever" and that's it.

The Shop

Moto96
10/14/2018 9:48am
People still think aftermarket brands make oil. They do not. They buy oil from Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc and blend in their own additve packages or have a 3rd party company do it for them or have the refineries do it for them and have someone package and label it. ie Honda, Ford, Nissan, all OEMS, and Walmart etc.

For example Honda oil has been made and packaged by damn near everyone if you look into it.
Broseph
10/14/2018 10:48am
PFitzG38 wrote:
If you have a $10 head you can buy a $10 helmet. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and your thinking about putting oil in...
If you have a $10 head you can buy a $10 helmet. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and your thinking about putting oil in it from pep boys?

Rotella ThumperTalk Fan Boys please save your breath with me. I'll give you one "Whatever" and that's it.
So you’ve got a $500 head then?

If it’s all about money, then I prefer to use oil designed for engines that cost over $30,000 and are expected to last a million miles.

I’m going to start a private oil label. I’ll buy Rotella T4 and transfer it into bottles with a motorcycle on the front. Not only will it be an awesome oil, but I’ll be able to mark it up 300%.

Most guys buying expensive oil are falling victim to good marketing and don’t even know it.
10/14/2018 11:11am
mx317 wrote:
Sure I could. He just want's to argue. I'm done beating this horse.

Run your cheap oil and enjoy risking your investment to save 5 bucks. Smile
Broseph
10/14/2018 11:43am
mx317 wrote:
Sure I could. He just want's to argue. I'm done beating this horse. Run your cheap oil and enjoy risking your investment to save 5 bucks...

Hey friend, no offence intended. I’m just asking questions. You sounded like an expert by your reference to “scientific studies” and what not. Just hoping to gain some insight from your wealth of knowledge on the subject. If you can explain the differences in additive packs between the two oils, I’d appreciate it. We’re all here to learn.

I sure don’t want my engine or the OP’s engine to “unexpectedly granade” as you so eloquently put it in one of your previous posts.
10/14/2018 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2018 12:18pm
mx317 wrote:
Sure I could. He just want's to argue. I'm done beating this horse. Run your cheap oil and enjoy risking your investment to save 5 bucks...

Save $5. Rotella is 14 bucks for 5 quarts.
jbrown15
10/14/2018 7:21pm
I think it needs to be stated again, the old Rotella T formula was great. I posted about KTM Canada using it in the past and another posted saying he knew that the factory US KTM team would use it also. Those motors are worth more than anything the common guy would have, and it was good enough for them.

I personally wouldn't use the new formula though and Rekluse no longer recommends to uses it.

And of course KTM is going to recommend that you use Motorex synthetic, it's the most expensive oil and all of the KTM dealers sell it.
10/14/2018 9:11pm
Moto96 wrote:
People still think aftermarket brands make oil. They do not. They buy oil from Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc and blend in their own additve packages or...
People still think aftermarket brands make oil. They do not. They buy oil from Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc and blend in their own additve packages or have a 3rd party company do it for them or have the refineries do it for them and have someone package and label it. ie Honda, Ford, Nissan, all OEMS, and Walmart etc.

For example Honda oil has been made and packaged by damn near everyone if you look into it.
Explain spectro. All made in house.
Tracktor
10/15/2018 10:52am
jbrown15 wrote:
I think it needs to be stated again, the old Rotella T formula was great. I posted about KTM Canada using it in the past and...
I think it needs to be stated again, the old Rotella T formula was great. I posted about KTM Canada using it in the past and another posted saying he knew that the factory US KTM team would use it also. Those motors are worth more than anything the common guy would have, and it was good enough for them.

I personally wouldn't use the new formula though and Rekluse no longer recommends to uses it.

And of course KTM is going to recommend that you use Motorex synthetic, it's the most expensive oil and all of the KTM dealers sell it.
I can corroborate that KTM used Rotella a few years ago straight from a Troy Lee KTM mechanics mouth with no reason to BS me about it. Dumped out Motorex bottles and refilled with Rotella.
The new formulations to CK-rating have caused a ton of consternation in the diesel world but we don;t really have a choice but to run them as pretty much all oil manufacturers have gone to them.........
Moto96
10/15/2018 11:13am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 11:20am
Moto96 wrote:
People still think aftermarket brands make oil. They do not. They buy oil from Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc and blend in their own additve packages or...

Did you even read my post? It seems you did not because I explained clearly, unless they are a refinery, they are the same as others. They buy base stock oils and blend in their own additive packages for the different oils and needs.

Same as most oil and race fuel companies.

10/15/2018 11:30am
I googled this.
The big changes for 2017 were primarily implemented to satisfy the new diesel engine spec: CK-4. The focus in this new formulation was on high temp shear, deposit control, and oxidation stability. The relatively high level of zinc that existed in the old formulation is actually slightly higher now, and soluble moly has been added as well. The tech support person said that the only minor concern is that high levels of zinc can contribute to catalytic converter damage/clogging but that otherwise, zinc is a big part of what makes T6 a superior oil for our motors.
Paw Paw 271
10/15/2018 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 5:20pm
As per a Shell tech rep...The Rotella T6 is still rated for motorcycles, but that is not a market we are going after, so we do not advertise it for that. Our market is todays Diesel street trucks.

Paw Paw
500guy
10/15/2018 12:32pm
Moto96 wrote:
Did you even read my post? It seems you did not because I explained clearly, unless they are a refinery, they are the same as others...
Did you even read my post? It seems you did not because I explained clearly, unless they are a refinery, they are the same as others. They buy base stock oils and blend in their own additive packages for the different oils and needs.

Or they just buy the oil and repackage it.
PTshox
10/15/2018 12:47pm
Moto96 wrote:

Moto96 wrote:
Did you even read my post? It seems you did not because I explained clearly, unless they are a refinery, they are the same as others...

Exactly what this guy stated. Unless they have their own oil fields, the equipment to get it out of the ground etc... they buy from someone and make their own blend. Just like suspension fluid. Ohlins doesn't make their own oil, nor do KYB, Showa, Fox shocks etc....
NoMuff2Tuff
10/15/2018 1:36pm
To all you guys who want to know FACTS about engine oils do yourself a favor and Google search
"540 Rat-MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING". This is by far the most informative unbiased test I have ever read on over 200 engine oil brands, weights, chemical compositor and actual protection they provide. The engineer also has a specific section on motorcycle oils, clutches and explains the ratings. Its a lot info and reading but definitely worth looking into. It will explain a lot of the myths about engine oils and the protection they provide.
Hope this can help a few people out
paddyB745
10/15/2018 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 2:26pm
I’ve been told by a very reputable engine builder that he exclusively runs Chevron Delo 400 in his motors and has had better luck with that oil than any motorcycle specific oil. As long as you change it frequently. At $30 for 2.5 gal at Walmart I’ll stick with my “truck oil” been working flawlessly for years. 2 and 4 strokes
alien
10/15/2018 3:04pm
In 2001 I was still an AMA pro mx racer. At the buds creek national I was killing time before practice by wandering around the pits looking at the factory bikes. I think it was Timmy Ferry riding the four stroke Yamaha that year , his mechanic had just finished adding oil to his bike then threw the bottle in the trash can. I was curious what exotic oil they used in a factory four stroke so I looked in the trash and it was a bottle of mobil 1 15/50. That was the only bottle of oil in the trash can by the way. The next year I raced a KTM 520 sx and used the same mobil 1 15/50 . If Yamaha thought that highly of mobil 1 it should be good enough for me.

RCF
10/15/2018 4:59pm
The thing I find hard to believe with the KTM stories is it's nowhere near the right viscosity that KTM recommends for their 4 stroke Motors , as far as two strokes go I agreed with the above comments you can run anything in them as long as it's safe for wet clutches.
10/15/2018 5:30pm
Straight from the horse's mouth guys. If rekluse, a MOTORCYCLE clutch company, doesn't recomend an oil to be used with there performance clutches than there's no way in hell I'm putting that crap in any of my bikes...regardless of what brand clutch I have in them. I haven't done it but I wouldn't be surprised if you got a similar response from any other clutch company. To the guy who was saying it's just gears, bearings, and wet clutches, not high tech parts so you can run whatever with no issues, not really sure how you explain rekluse's response. Car/truck oils are designed for split compartment engines. MOST not all bikes (CRF250R 450R/X TRX450R CRF150R...pre 2017 for 250 and 450, they did go back to shared on there latest bikes) have everything shared so of course a different oil is needed. Moly is the additive you do NOT want in a wet clutch and Moly is in a lot of car oils. Oil with Moly is great for lubricating engine components which is the only reason why honda makes hp41030m or hp41040m (silver bottle with a red or silver cap)...for the crf models I listed above and most of their pwc models. The people I convince to run the hp4m in there bikes that can take it almost always come back to thank me and say they wish they switched sooner due to the extended amount of time they can go between changing it, extended longevity of parts and even a quieter smoother running engine. So theoretically ya u could put car oil in the engine compartment of certain crf models and you'd be fine. I See a lot of people posting on here about factory teams running car oil because like I said Moly is a great lubricating additive for top end components soni can see why they might run it. But factory teams care about short term gains, they're not concerned with longevity like us mortals are...they may go through 3-4 clutches in a weekend so ya who gives a crap about what the oil may do to their clutch in the long run. Car oils and oils designed for diesel trucks will not cause a bike to blow up instantly, they just cause clutches and other components to wear out quicker than they normally would if the correct oil that the manufacturer recommends was being used. But hey if you consider yourself factory and money is of no issue to you because you need that little extra performance gain than Mobil 1 or rotella it up brochacho!!!

BR8ES
10/15/2018 5:38pm
Rotella threads, the gift that keeps on giving.
Moto96
10/15/2018 5:47pm
Moto96 wrote:

500guy wrote:
Or they just buy the oil and repackage it.
Sometimes, Im sure. I think Castor 927 is just the old Castrol A747 which was ran by factory teams for years in 2 strokes.

Before that, their "Degummed Racing Castor" Im pretty sure was the old Castrol R.

Amsoil uses, or used Mobil1 base stocks. Who knows. Companies change supplies and packaging companies all the time.
The guy with the Rat 540 Link above, that paper is a helluva good read too.

PFitzG38
10/15/2018 6:24pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
If you have a $10 head you can buy a $10 helmet. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and your thinking about putting oil in...

Broseph wrote:
So you’ve got a $500 head then? If it’s all about money, then I prefer to use oil designed for engines that cost over $30,000 and...

If it’s all about money, then I prefer to use oil designed for engines that cost over $30,000 and are expected to last a million miles.

I’m going to start a private oil label. I’ll buy Rotella T4 and transfer it into bottles with a motorcycle on the front. Not only will it be an awesome oil, but I’ll be able to mark it up 300%.

Most guys buying expensive oil are falling victim to good marketing and don’t even know it.
Whatever.........
slipdog
10/15/2018 6:31pm
PFitzG38 wrote:

Broseph wrote:
So you’ve got a $500 head then? If it’s all about money, then I prefer to use oil designed for engines that cost over $30,000 and...

PFitzG38 wrote:
Whatever.........
6/12/2022 8:16am
I found some more at fleet farm . Register your ein # at the service counter then your tax free. Resalute at 3.49 is a bargain. Is that Amsoil a good 2-st oil ?

murph783
6/12/2022 8:27am
I found some more at fleet farm . Register your ein # at the service counter then your tax free. Resalute at 3.49 is a bargain...
I found some more at fleet farm . Register your ein # at the service counter then your tax free. Resalute at 3.49 is a bargain. Is that Amsoil a good 2-st oil ?

I prefer the amsoil dominator, but interceptor is decent too

Post a reply to: Shell rotella t4 diesel engine oil for yz250 2t?

The Latest