Shaun Simpson in for Unadilla?

7/30/2015 3:48am
Hoping he has a blinder at Lommel then an early week flight over to get some riding in across there, go on Shaun ! Top 5 hell yeah boy

And it's about time he got some decent support from KTM, well done Pit for knowing how to do the deal to everybody's advantage, give him the support, not the whole team and everything that's with it.
7/31/2015 3:40am
Hoping he has a blinder at Lommel then an early week flight over to get some riding in across there, go on Shaun ! Top 5...
Hoping he has a blinder at Lommel then an early week flight over to get some riding in across there, go on Shaun ! Top 5 hell yeah boy

And it's about time he got some decent support from KTM, well done Pit for knowing how to do the deal to everybody's advantage, give him the support, not the whole team and everything that's with it.
hopefully he has a podium this weekend and gets his confidence up before Unadilla. If he can get used to the different bike/ track/ race format in the states then I think top 5 is a realistic target, be amazing to see him on the podium though
7/31/2015 4:38am
When he gets one top 5 moto which i think he will get, the other will be around 8-9, remember in 5 years he didnt do it with a "stock" bike like Desalle supposedly did LOL.
7/31/2015 4:43am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2015 4:44am
When he gets one top 5 moto which i think he will get, the other will be around 8-9, remember in 5 years he didnt do...
When he gets one top 5 moto which i think he will get, the other will be around 8-9, remember in 5 years he didnt do it with a "stock" bike like Desalle supposedly did LOL.
desalle was on a stock bike in 2009 (Honda) - the ama even inspected it afterwards.... (Washougal when he finished 3rd in a moto) - he was riding for LS Honda in gps that season...

when he rode at Unadilla in 2010 he was riding the same spec bike as dungey (but not with his own suspension) for 2-2

- shaun may be riding the factory bike, but its a completely different machine to the one he's been racing all year, hopefully he gets on with it straight away, and gets used to the track/ different racing format quickly. You guys should be pleased to have another top rider racing at one of your events, instead of trying to turn everything into a pissing contest/ belittling their acheivements

im not expecting shaun to do as well as desalle did, i'd like it to happen but I think its unlikely that he gets 2nd/ 3rd place

The Shop

jamma10
7/31/2015 4:56am
I think he'll go 8 - 7, which would still be a pretty decent effort.
7/31/2015 5:13am
jamma10 wrote:
I think he'll go 8 - 7, which would still be a pretty decent effort.
anywhere in the 5th-10th range would be a good effort. Anything better than 5th would be amazing- what about pourcel? 1-1 at Unadilla?
7/31/2015 5:18am
Personally I think he should he looking at top 5, he's got the skills

Just how the bike is for him, hopefully he's out there asap after Lommel, in good condition and get a few days testing in

Not at freaking milestone lol
51xc
7/31/2015 5:18am
i could see a top 5. with et3 out and kroc missing some speed and many other riders that usually fight for top 5s just returning from injury (trey, jg33, wilson, shorty etc). he is capable of beating anderson, bb4, peick and cp377.
7/31/2015 5:22am
51xc wrote:
i could see a top 5. with et3 out and kroc missing some speed and many other riders that usually fight for top 5s just returning...
i could see a top 5. with et3 out and kroc missing some speed and many other riders that usually fight for top 5s just returning from injury (trey, jg33, wilson, shorty etc). he is capable of beating anderson, bb4, peick and cp377.
beating pourcel at Unadilla?! that's a tall order, ive got him down for the win there- he hauls ass round that track!!
51xc
7/31/2015 5:42am
beating pourcel at Unadilla?! that's a tall order, ive got him down for the win there- he hauls ass round that track!!
because it is a european style of track? well think about it.
7/31/2015 5:45am
No, because Pourcel knows his way around there.

Actually it'll be interesting to see how Shaun does against Christophe, it's been a while since they raced, both have come on a long way in the last few years.
Bearuno
7/31/2015 6:00am
Well, Swanepoel got top tens there, I think 2 years in a row??? Though, not many seemed to notice it - well I guess they did, and he got a 250 ride from it, that has gone onto him becoming a coach / trainer in the states?

Anything can happen - look to the crashes that have happened since the beginning of the sport - I never , ever get into 'predictions'. And, he'll be on a bike he's not raced on. Hell, RV had months of practise / training on a bike with everything done to his preferences. and was still getting used to it, according to so many.

I hope he has fun and doesn't get hurt - he's got his place in the World Championships to be concerned with. Good to see KTM / Pit show support, and a growing understanding of how Simpson seems to 'work'. I easily could be wrong, but I don't think Simpson would fit the SX side of things. And SX is the most important thing for the US . He seems to be a Motocrosser, to me. I hope Willie is going over with him - they are one of the 'better' examples of a father and son racing relationship, in a sport littered with family lunacy.
7/31/2015 6:07am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2015 6:10am
51xc wrote:
because it is a european style of track? well think about it.
no I mean because its pourcels favourite track...

he's gone 1,1,1,38 (crashed whilst leading) , 1,2 at Unadilla in previous races- so you could say he goes pretty well there...

his come from behind ride to catch and pass canard at the end of the race in 2010 at Unadilla was unbelievable, probably his greatest ever race in the US in my opinion
Aryen
8/5/2015 2:44am
Aryen wrote:
I'd say he should be able to make a top 6 finish.

Crashed hard last weekend btw.
Cashmore wrote:
TOP 6? No. Top ten maybe.... a big maybe but doubtful. I guess RV2 going across the pond having two bad races and waxing the field...
TOP 6? No. Top ten maybe.... a big maybe but doubtful. I guess RV2 going across the pond having two bad races and waxing the field at one really down played our series. He's a great rider though, I'm not bagging on the guy

I suddenly see a lot more top 6 predictions for Simpson at Unadilla now...
Sideways
8/5/2015 3:09am
Shaun has showed now and before that he is fenomenal in the deep sand. But he is not as fast as his mxgp competition on "normal" surfaced tracks. Hes a solid 9-5 finisher in the GPs. I dont think he will podium at unadilla. I think he will be somewhere around 5th-7th. Id love if he proved me wrong though Smile
8/5/2015 3:29am
Sideways wrote:
Shaun has showed now and before that he is fenomenal in the deep sand. But he is not as fast as his mxgp competition on "normal"...
Shaun has showed now and before that he is fenomenal in the deep sand. But he is not as fast as his mxgp competition on "normal" surfaced tracks. Hes a solid 9-5 finisher in the GPs. I dont think he will podium at unadilla. I think he will be somewhere around 5th-7th. Id love if he proved me wrong though Smile
I agree with you 100% - I think 5th-10th is realistic, but I would love to be proved wrong, and i think with his confidence up after the 1-1 at lommel, he might sneak a podium in one moto with a bit of luck on his side!! (wishful thinking perhaps)

fair play to him for going over there at all, in the middle of the gp season- its a shame more riders on both sides of the pond don't do the same. Certainly adds more interest regardless of the results
Robgvx
8/5/2015 6:01am
Wherever he finishes you should cheer for him. Shaun and his family are good people. I have never met anyone in motocross that are more 'no bullshit' than the Simpsons.

His Dad Willie raced 500GPs for ever, as a privateer, working on his own bikes, with no mechanic other than his wife Vanda. Shaun has been brought up with the same values as his dad - completely grounded, works hard, polite, respectful and grateful for the opportunity to be part of the show and doing the best that he possibly can. And doing better than many riders with many times more support than Shaun has.

Adam Wheeler wrote this week in OTOR that probably 75% of the GP paddock wanted Shaun to win at Lommel. When he won at Lierop two years ago mechanics and crew from all teams, even different manufacturers, were all cheering Shaun on from pit lane.

I'm stoked that Shaun is going to Unadilla. Make him welcome.

Here's his dad Willie, at a 500GP back in the day, and also on the podium in Sunday - a picture that brought a genuine tear to my eye.

karsmakers
8/5/2015 7:50am
I would expect Dungey, Barcia, CP and KROC to beat him but after that anything is possible. Canard is as fast as anyone on a given day but just came off a long injury and is still finding his speed. I think TC is the only way Shaun doesn't get a top 5 and thats questionable. If Shaun gets a great start (holeshot) I could see him landing on the podium. This track is as friendly to the euro's as they come in the states. If it's wet and rainy he could win the damn thing. Shaun is someone that deserves everyone's support.
shuggs
8/5/2015 8:18am
karsmakers wrote:
I would expect Dungey, Barcia, CP and KROC to beat him but after that anything is possible. Canard is as fast as anyone on a given...
I would expect Dungey, Barcia, CP and KROC to beat him but after that anything is possible. Canard is as fast as anyone on a given day but just came off a long injury and is still finding his speed. I think TC is the only way Shaun doesn't get a top 5 and thats questionable. If Shaun gets a great start (holeshot) I could see him landing on the podium. This track is as friendly to the euro's as they come in the states. If it's wet and rainy he could win the damn thing. Shaun is someone that deserves everyone's support.
Hope he does get some support, normally he lives abroad (par for course for GP's) without much home comforts and now he has flown to other side of pond 'just to race' please people give him a cheer remember he has done his time as a privateer.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
8/5/2015 11:27am
karsmakers wrote:
I would expect Dungey, Barcia, CP and KROC to beat him but after that anything is possible. Canard is as fast as anyone on a given...
This sounds pretty realistic to me.
Given he's comfortable with track, schedule, bike etc.
Don't forget Baggett though Wink
Question
8/5/2015 11:41am
karsmakers wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
This sounds pretty realistic to me.
Given he's comfortable with track, schedule, bike etc.
Don't forget Baggett though Wink

Anderson is also the guy that came from A1 with a podium on his rookie race. With the DNF last week he will be back with a vengence, let us expect hopefully 2 Huskies in the top 5.

A lot is based on the start:
If Simpson starts top 3-5, he should stay around the top 4-7. I do not see a fade out of the top 10.
If he starts top 15, then to crack the top 8-10 is already great. I do not see a come back in the top 5.
That is why he can do a 4-4 or a 8-8 riding pretty much the same.

I see lots of expectations on CP this week end, keep cool Smile I hope he does well, and for sure I hope he prove us he is really a top talent that can run in the top 3 next year, but honestly I would already be happy with a 4-4 for 3 overall. I would be absolutely amazed if he wins a moto this year.
RG1
8/5/2015 11:47am
I think he goes 6-3. I think that would be a pretty good day for him
mbha
8/5/2015 12:53pm
I somehow had the MXGP top guys racing at ET pace in my thoughts and thus beeing quite much faster than Dungey and the rest, and Shaun sniffing on that pace, so he could actually wax the entire field, but when performing this calculation in my head I realize how stupid it appears....
I'd stick with a 4 - 7 like most people..
PressPassP
8/6/2015 5:46am
I can never really understand how many say Unadilla is a Euro track?? It's still way more US style,faster,smoother and more flowing

Maybe because guys like Pourcel and Desalle have been good there has something to do with it,not sure how other Euro exiles have fared there like Albertyn,Vuillemin,Tortelli etc?

I think Simpson could be around the 5 place mark but could suprise if he gets on with that KTM
8/6/2015 6:56am
Robgvx wrote:
Wherever he finishes you should cheer for him. Shaun and his family are good people. I have never met anyone in motocross that are more 'no...
Wherever he finishes you should cheer for him. Shaun and his family are good people. I have never met anyone in motocross that are more 'no bullshit' than the Simpsons.

His Dad Willie raced 500GPs for ever, as a privateer, working on his own bikes, with no mechanic other than his wife Vanda. Shaun has been brought up with the same values as his dad - completely grounded, works hard, polite, respectful and grateful for the opportunity to be part of the show and doing the best that he possibly can. And doing better than many riders with many times more support than Shaun has.

Adam Wheeler wrote this week in OTOR that probably 75% of the GP paddock wanted Shaun to win at Lommel. When he won at Lierop two years ago mechanics and crew from all teams, even different manufacturers, were all cheering Shaun on from pit lane.

Here's his dad Willie, at a 500GP back in the day, and also on the podium in Sunday - a picture that brought a genuine tear to my eye.

Verify nicely spoken, great people!! Hope het does wel next year in that factory KTM.
8/6/2015 7:12am
Robgvx wrote:
Wherever he finishes you should cheer for him. Shaun and his family are good people. I have never met anyone in motocross that are more 'no...

Great story... makes you realize how many dads were involved at a high level. Great to see Shaun Simpson making his dad proud.
TMV
8/6/2015 7:18am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2015 7:20am
No, because Pourcel knows his way around there. Actually it'll be interesting to see how Shaun does against Christophe, it's been a while since they raced...
No, because Pourcel knows his way around there.

Actually it'll be interesting to see how Shaun does against Christophe, it's been a while since they raced, both have come on a long way in the last few years.
Plus, the Husky team asked to be part of the press day cause CP wanted to ride the track. Guess he really bets on that one. He said he at least wants to get a podium there.
TeamGreen
8/6/2015 7:29am
I think the Hitachi "BTO" KTM will run easily in the top 10 &...according to RV...should break into the top 5 if he's having a good day.
jeffro503
8/6/2015 7:43am
Shaun is one of the coolest dudes out there I think. Always been a fan of his , especially since he pretty much does all the GP's as a privateer , and gets good finishes.

My prediction is 4th - 7th. Hoping for a top 5 finish out of him! The dude can ride!

Post a reply to: Shaun Simpson in for Unadilla?

The Latest