Shane mcelrath Daytona

Related:
Create New Tag

3/7/2019 12:12 PM

Supposedly he is racing this weekend on his 250 in the 450 class.

|

3/7/2019 12:21 PM

TLD probably just wants a presence at the race and on short notice it is probably better for Shane to ride the bike he is comfortable on rather than jump on a 450 with so little notice. He isn't eligible to race in 250 class anyway. Interesting thought could be them bumping him to the 450's next year to make room for a couple of there amateurs, so maybe seeing how he fares against the big guys.

|

3/7/2019 12:23 PM

For a guy who's only 17 points back in the 250 West Championship, I would support this move. Not only is he getting more time on the bike and in a racing environment, but getting familiar with the pressure of the 450 class could be beneficial for this year and for his likely transition on to the big bikes.

On the other hand, I don't think he has ever raced at Daytona so it could be that he wants to do that race once before he moves up. Very interesting either way!

|

Two Wheelin is a good time.

3/7/2019 3:22 PM

Ozzy
Plain & Simple, these are the kind of things that’s FD UP in our Sport!!!
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is too damn different.
I ONLY see Negatives from this & I hope I’m wrong.
Shouldn’t even have to explain myself.
East or West wants to jump in fine, be on Proper Class Size & Displacement.
If I was still a Team Mgr I’d be raising Hell.
Seems Every1 else of Authority Team wise must be out to FN Lunch!!!
Throw him on a 350-450.
Total BS!!!
|

3/7/2019 3:25 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

It seems kind of like a last minute deal with Smith and Falk being out. If Shane doesn't have much seat time on the 450 to begin with, it could be MORE dangerous to put him on a big bike. And with him being in the chase for the West Championship he might not want to have to re-learn the 250 after a weekend on the big bike.

I agree that in most cases, though, nobody should be riding 250's in the 450 class.

|

Two Wheelin is a good time.

3/7/2019 3:46 PM

"Plain & Simple, these are the kind of things that’s FD UP in our Sport".

Do you care to elaborate on this? Mostly out of curiosity

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/7/2019 3:50 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

Uh, the 250’s have been doing everything the 450’s have. The Lap times have been close. I don’t see the issue.

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

3/7/2019 3:52 PM

Wonder what happens if he finishes on the podium?

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

3/7/2019 3:54 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

What the hell difference does it make to you? If anything, this could be a good thing for the crowd that thinks 450s are too much for Supercross. If he does well on a 250 at the gnarliest Supercross of the year against the big bikes, that's more fodder for them to point to to say that 250s should be the premier class.

|

3/7/2019 3:56 PM

Racer111 wrote:

Uh, the 250’s have been doing everything the 450’s have. The Lap times have been close. I don’t see the issue.

I think he was saying that the 450 class is supposed to be 450s, and 350s now also, and not 250s since they have their own class. That is the point of having a class.

|

3/7/2019 3:59 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

If you were team manager of TLD what would you do? Park the truck up and stay home and explain it to all your sponsors? Force your number one rider to ride a bike you likely don't have any parts for and that you haven't tested in one of the most gruelling races of the year? Or do you try and split the difference and let him head out on a 250?

I'm guessing Mcelrath isn't obligated/contracted to do this race at all, if he wants to do it on a 250 as a favor to the team then good on him. It's a win win.

Do you honestly think any of the other teams are legitimately worried about how Mcelrath is going to perform on a 250? Maybe Justin Hill is worried that he may get beaten by a ring in on a little bike but other than that

|

3/7/2019 4:14 PM

Photo

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/7/2019 4:19 PM

If I started now making a list of the things wrong with the sport, my life would probably expire before I got to "250's in the 450 class"

|

3/7/2019 4:26 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

He’s faster than 85%-90% of the class .. what’s it matter about displacement? Lap times are lap times

|

3/7/2019 5:14 PM

Welcome to the circuscross ama fim series. Never know what is next

|

3/7/2019 5:22 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more
Racer111 wrote:

That bc you know nothing about riding. The riding technique is totally different.....that's why it's not the fking "open class"

|

3/7/2019 5:28 PM

I hope it's his '250' from straight rhythm (wouldn't ever happen, but would be awesome)

|

3/7/2019 5:36 PM

Didn't Kyle Peters run a 250 in the 450 class a couple of years ago? I seem to remember him running mid-field?

I would think of all the tracks they race on this year, Daytona would be the most difficult on a 250?

I guess the biggest benefit of a 450 is to be able to clear a long-leap with a short run-up?

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

3/7/2019 5:52 PM

Apparently, he's not breaking or, even stretching, the rules. What can we pitch a fit about now?

|

3/7/2019 5:57 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more
Racer111 wrote:

carmfarm wrote:

That bc you know nothing about riding. The riding technique is totally different.....that's why it's not the fking "open ...more

You must not know who he is ??

I still disagree with him. He's following class rules, and at disadvantage in the engine department.

Should be interesting! Best year of racing in quite some time!!

|

3/7/2019 6:07 PM

I don’t see any negatives to this.. casual fan won’t be able to tell a difference. I’m all for it, I don’t think he will break top 10 but I will be rooting him on!

|

3/7/2019 6:11 PM

To everyone jumping up and down about this...MXDN runs both classes of bikes together. No one seems to complain about that.
|

3/7/2019 6:12 PM

Squid Williams wrote:

For a guy who's only 17 points back in the 250 West Championship, I would support this move. Not only is he getting more time ...more

Raced it in 2016, got 10th.

|

3/7/2019 6:15 PM

I would rather see him on a 450 just to see what he can do

|

3/7/2019 6:45 PM

Run what you brung if its within the rules! He’s not the first and won’t be the last. However, he will probably be the highest place finisher of anyone that has tried.

|

3/7/2019 6:51 PM

Be cool to put him on a 350, But it's smart to put him in more race situations on the bike he will actually be racing. I'm interested to see the skill vs displacement on an SX track.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

3/7/2019 7:05 PM

I love wildcard moves like this. I hope he finishes well. If people are salty, let em be.

|

3/7/2019 7:20 PM

Kenny and Marv both used to run 350s in the big class on opposite coasts. Get Sugar Shane 100 more CCs and watch him beat 2 out of the 4 other KTM dudes

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

3/7/2019 7:23 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Kenny and Marv both used to run 350s in the big class on opposite coasts. Get Sugar Shane 100 more CCs and watch him beat 2 ...more

Which 2 is he beating?

I'll give you Bogle, but im not sure he's finishing in front of Marv, Webb, or Bagget at Daytona

|

3/7/2019 7:24 PM

Ozzy wrote:
Ozzy
Only a 350-450 Period.
Anything else is ...more

Wow, why the strong negative stance?

What are you seeing through your team manager eyes that us as fans can't see?

I'm excited to see it and hopefully the kid does well. 450s are shit.

|