Shane McElrath 2021?

suzrider982
10/15/2020 4:19pm
bayodome wrote:
McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues...
McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues to be one of the top talents in the US, yet you're all trashing him like he isn't worth a dime. Maybe Shane didn't play his cards perfectly, but he's certainly deserving of a factory supported ride.

That being said, I hate the AMA 250 class points rules. Shane, the Martin bros and Craig should all be moving up to the 450 class for 2021... and really should've years ago.

The MXGPs don't do it perfect either with their 23 Age Limit rule for MX2, but it's a better system than what we have here.
Move up to where? There not enough for the guys that are in the 450 class already
amard
10/15/2020 4:37pm
Question wrote:
That was maybe to find this last % of fight needed in a moto ; McElrath still finished 2nd for a few points in SX, and...
That was maybe to find this last % of fight needed in a moto ;

McElrath still finished 2nd for a few points in SX, and 3rd in the nationals.

"It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season." is far from being the reality.
AH387 wrote:
I was just commenting on the pit board message. I feel like that is probably not the best message to put on there, especially knowing fans...
I was just commenting on the pit board message. I feel like that is probably not the best message to put on there, especially knowing fans will see it and it will become a talking point. I think he had a good year, not saying anything bad about his overall performance of the year. Again, just confirming that the pitboard message did happen and I thought it was a bad look.
It didn’t look the best but I wouldn’t read too far into it
visser62
10/15/2020 4:39pm
God's really testing him right now.
jathey
10/15/2020 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 6:21pm
bayodome wrote:
McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues...
McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues to be one of the top talents in the US, yet you're all trashing him like he isn't worth a dime. Maybe Shane didn't play his cards perfectly, but he's certainly deserving of a factory supported ride.

That being said, I hate the AMA 250 class points rules. Shane, the Martin bros and Craig should all be moving up to the 450 class for 2021... and really should've years ago.

The MXGPs don't do it perfect either with their 23 Age Limit rule for MX2, but it's a better system than what we have here.
When the average 250 team has 4-5 riders and the average 450 team has 2-ish, there is no reason to move up if no ride is...
When the average 250 team has 4-5 riders and the average 450 team has 2-ish, there is no reason to move up if no ride is available. It's funny that some people think these guys don't want to move up to 450's. If the choice was 450 on your dime or someone paying you a couple hundred grand to ride a 250 there really is no decision there. How about everyone here raise your hand if you'd rather work for free next year rather than your current job. Age shouldn't really matter at all. If the new kid on the block is able to force the "old guy" from the night show then it will happen on it's own.
^This. Limiting a guy's career longevity through age is bullshit. I fully support the idea of career small bore riders - limited only by your ability to run the pace and qualify.

The Shop

toomanykaws
10/15/2020 6:34pm
It’s been said many years ago. For SX especially. There was room for a 450 support class.
outerlimits
10/15/2020 8:36pm
Maybe there really should be a 350 class....more places to go after you've pointed/aged out of 250's.
Sawfish
10/15/2020 8:47pm
Maybe there really should be a 350 class....more places to go after you've pointed/aged out of 250's.
I agree but we’re in TV land now.
JustMX
10/15/2020 9:51pm
tek14 wrote:
Seems JGR isnt quiting as they posted their SX track prepped for offseason.
I bet geico honda's practixe track was in awesome shape a month ago
Motofinne
10/16/2020 12:22am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2020 12:23am
Scrap the regional pro 250 class, one 250 class where everyone rides without rules. Then add 2 regional age limited 250 classes that only gets streamed online, no TV coverage.

The current 250 system is broken.
suzrider982
10/16/2020 6:34am
Motofinne wrote:
Scrap the regional pro 250 class, one 250 class where everyone rides without rules. Then add 2 regional age limited 250 classes that only gets streamed...
Scrap the regional pro 250 class, one 250 class where everyone rides without rules. Then add 2 regional age limited 250 classes that only gets streamed online, no TV coverage.

The problem with this is we would see a lot of riders without rides. A lot of these small teams only have the budget to do a regional serious. So we would have more riders without rides
Motofinne
10/16/2020 7:10am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2020 7:13am
Motofinne wrote:
Scrap the regional pro 250 class, one 250 class where everyone rides without rules. Then add 2 regional age limited 250 classes that only gets streamed...

The problem with this is we would see a lot of riders without rides. A lot of these small teams only have the budget to do...
The problem with this is we would see a lot of riders without rides. A lot of these small teams only have the budget to do a regional serious. So we would have more riders without rides
Should we also have a regional 450 series? It would free up more rides!

Like i said, add two regional 250 series' that are only streamed and age limited. Supercross version of EMX250. Then once you're a top regional rider you'll be able to find a full 250 ride on a top level team.
IWreckALot
10/16/2020 7:50am
Brent wrote:
McElrath worked longer than almost any rider on Star's team, he was at the track the longest, and put in the most work on the bike...
McElrath worked longer than almost any rider on Star's team, he was at the track the longest, and put in the most work on the bike. dude would run endless motos in the heat.

Star contractually forced him to live in Southern California, I just wonder if he would have done better if he was allowed to live and train at home back east, rather than a shitty one bedroom apartment in Murrieta...
My $.02 is that you can work hard, or you can work hard and smart. I always had an appreciation for Dungey's approach to the game. He won championships through training smarter, not just harder. He didn't have the raw speed of RV, but he compensated with his training decisions. I don't think McElrath has a championship in him. His starts are on point, and he has speed to win one, but he's got a certain Davalos effect going on. Doesn't make him worthless because he gets tons of screen time for his starts and holding the lead for a bit. He's just missing that extra 1% to seal the deal.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
10/16/2020 8:53am
kpiper wrote:
Shane seems like a very good guy. JMart decided to not point out as well along with many others through the years. The AMA has a...
Shane seems like a very good guy.

JMart decided to not point out as well along with many others through the years. The AMA has a stupid rule. That is not Shane's doing.

This business can not work out in the best scenario for every rider. Only one person can win a title.

I hope Shane finds a good ride and has success. The sport needs good people and he is one.
I'm not sure how I feel about Shane. He's either had the wrong people helping him or he's making these questionable decisions on his own. JMart admitted to sitting out so he couldn't point out. Shane just straight up lied then decided to leave that team altogether after not even lining up at the end of the season. I'm sure TLD was expecting him back the next year and helped him make that decision not to point out. Otherwise why not let your guy race?

Also the weird stuff he was doing with Sexton with the starting gate and practice. The fuel protest and what not. He's just made some weird decisions that have put him in this place.

To the guy saying Shane works harder than any of those Star guys it's just odd that it's not showing on the track. He holeshot's race after race then fades every single time. He either doesn't have the speed currently or doesn't have the fitness. His work really isn't showing right now if he truly is working that hard.

I was a bigger fan of shane a couple years ago but this last year he's really got me not rooting for him.
Spat24
Fantasy
618th
10/16/2020 10:22am
I think Shane is a quality pick for a 450 team. He will get you TV time as he has great starts and is fast. He needs to focus on his endurance (if that is the reason for some of the fading). I dont believe he will win 450 championships, but is a guy that will be top 10's and podium a few races too - more SX but some MX as well.
gt80rider
10/16/2020 10:50am
I thought Shane had a fantastic 2020.... dude showed he has top shelf 250 speed... if I was a 250 team manager, he would be top of the list....
SwapperMX
10/16/2020 11:06am
gt80rider wrote:
I thought Shane had a fantastic 2020.... dude showed he has top shelf 250 speed... if I was a 250 team manager, he would be top...
I thought Shane had a fantastic 2020.... dude showed he has top shelf 250 speed... if I was a 250 team manager, he would be top of the list....
Thing is though he's waiting to find out if AMA/Feld are going to change the rules again so he can race 250 SX in 21. At this stage he is pointed out of the 250 Supercross.
LungButter
10/16/2020 11:18am
SwapperMX wrote:
Thing is though he's waiting to find out if AMA/Feld are going to change the rules again so he can race 250 SX in 21. At...
Thing is though he's waiting to find out if AMA/Feld are going to change the rules again so he can race 250 SX in 21. At this stage he is pointed out of the 250 Supercross.
It will be complete asinine if they let him do another year in 250s.

He has had a pretty good shot (speedwise) at like 3 titles now, how many more chances does he need?

Move up or move on.
Spat24
Fantasy
618th
10/16/2020 11:19am
Rumors i have read from here - have him linked to HEP. If true, I think that is a great spot for him. HEP puts a good bike on the track and will allow Shane to show his talents.
mxb2
10/16/2020 11:22am
Spat24 wrote:
Rumors i have read from here - have him linked to HEP. If true, I think that is a great spot for him. HEP puts a...
Rumors i have read from here - have him linked to HEP. If true, I think that is a great spot for him. HEP puts a good bike on the track and will allow Shane to show his talents.
He has ridden the hep bike.

Post a reply to: Shane McElrath 2021?

The Latest