Shane McElrath 2021?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2020 4:28 AM

With Star announcing their team for 2021 and McElrath not being on the list where does he go? I assume KTM and Gas Gas won't touch him after him leaving TLD KTM last year not on great terms.

|

10/15/2020 4:29 AM

HEP?

|

10/15/2020 4:57 AM

Every dog has his day..

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

10/15/2020 5:01 AM

88FYNN88 wrote:

With Star announcing their team for 2021 and McElrath not being on the list where does he go? I assume KTM and Gas Gas won't touch him after him leaving TLD KTM last year not on great terms.

Kinda wonder if this will stop guys from diving. He could have pointed out a year or two ago and ended up on a 450 ride like JGR.

Hell, he could have just pointed out and remained loyal to TLD instead of jumping ship to the best team and putting in the same/worse results..... then he might have been the second 450 rider at Gas Gas like you mentioned.

Ohhhh how the turn tables

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

10/15/2020 5:27 AM

88FYNN88 wrote:

With Star announcing their team for 2021 and McElrath not being on the list where does he go? I assume KTM and Gas Gas won't touch him after him leaving TLD KTM last year not on great terms.

MxKing809 wrote:

Kinda wonder if this will stop guys from diving. He could have pointed out a year or two ago and ended up on a 450 ride like JGR.

Hell, he could have just pointed out and remained loyal to TLD instead of jumping ship to the best team and putting in the same/worse results..... then he might have been the second 450 rider at Gas Gas like you mentioned.

Ohhhh how the turn tables

Yes. Seems like he may have rolled the dice, to try to get that Championship and then lost out.

|

10/15/2020 5:36 AM

Did his mechanic really put "please try" on his pit board?

|

10/15/2020 5:41 AM

Yup, a few races back, I will try and find the pic. It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season.

|

10/15/2020 5:49 AM

88FYNN88 wrote:

Yup, a few races back, I will try and find the pic. It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season.

Lol ya that was brutal.

|

10/15/2020 6:10 AM

88FYNN88 wrote:

Yup, a few races back, I will try and find the pic. It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season.

AH387 wrote:

Lol ya that was brutal.

That was maybe to find this last % of fight needed in a moto ;

McElrath still finished 2nd for a few points in SX, and 3rd in the nationals.

"It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season." is far from being the reality.

|

10/15/2020 6:18 AM

Question wrote:

That was maybe to find this last % of fight needed in a moto ;

McElrath still finished 2nd for a few points in SX, and 3rd in the nationals.

"It seemed like he either gave up or had nothing this whole outdoor season." is far from being the reality.

I was just commenting on the pit board message. I feel like that is probably not the best message to put on there, especially knowing fans will see it and it will become a talking point. I think he had a good year, not saying anything bad about his overall performance of the year. Again, just confirming that the pitboard message did happen and I thought it was a bad look.

|

10/15/2020 6:40 AM

Someone explain to me, because I'm an idiot, how does McElrath stay in the 250 class when he's been racing in it forever? I thought they had a point system to automatically give a rider the boot after a certain threshold was reached.

|

10/15/2020 6:42 AM

Blackie59 wrote:

Someone explain to me, because I'm an idiot, how does McElrath stay in the 250 class when he's been racing in it forever? I thought they had a point system to automatically give a rider the boot after a certain threshold was reached.

There are ways to avoid this. Like back pain issues all of a sudden towards the end of an SX season. There are ways around it, it seems. I don't know the exact number, but as long as you don't score a certain amount of points in a given amount of time or win a championship 2 years in a row, you can keep racing with the 250 folks.

|

Motorcycles have been keeping me smiling for 19 years and counting!

The Chap - My YouTube channel. Trying to share the stoke!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTZ4lNA_xYv6N2DS4L1Now

10/15/2020 6:44 AM

Blackie59 wrote:

Someone explain to me, because I'm an idiot, how does McElrath stay in the 250 class when he's been racing in it forever? I thought they had a point system to automatically give a rider the boot after a certain threshold was reached.

250 outdoors is a national pro class, just like the 450s.

Its just the 250 regional supercrosses that is this hot mess of stupid point systems

|

10/15/2020 7:03 AM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/15/2020 7:06 AM

88FYNN88 wrote:

With Star announcing their team for 2021 and McElrath not being on the list where does he go? I assume KTM and Gas Gas won't touch him after him leaving TLD KTM last year not on great terms.

MxKing809 wrote:

Kinda wonder if this will stop guys from diving. He could have pointed out a year or two ago and ended up on a 450 ride like JGR.

Hell, he could have just pointed out and remained loyal to TLD instead of jumping ship to the best team and putting in the same/worse results..... then he might have been the second 450 rider at Gas Gas like you mentioned.

Ohhhh how the turn tables

I think his results were better

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

10/15/2020 7:14 AM

crowe660 wrote:

HEP?

Getting warm

|

10/15/2020 7:19 AM

Sgb kawi

|

10/15/2020 7:19 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

I think his results were better

Either way he played himself

|

10/15/2020 8:30 AM

Maybe JGR? He’s from NC, so probably not an issue him relocating. I guess though, that would mean JGR will field a team in 2021, which seems might be up in the air again.

|

10/15/2020 8:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 8:41 AM

Shane seems like a very good guy.

JMart decided to not point out as well along with many others through the years. The AMA has a stupid rule. That is not Shane's doing.

This business can not work out in the best scenario for every rider. Only one person can win a title.

I hope Shane finds a good ride and has success. The sport needs good people and he is one.

|

10/15/2020 8:37 AM

just remember ... “he” has a plan... and those are his words not mine!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/15/2020 8:41 AM

mhog wrote:

Maybe JGR? He’s from NC, so probably not an issue him relocating. I guess though, that would mean JGR will field a team in 2021, which seems might be up in the air again.

Riding that next week,cool

|

10/15/2020 8:43 AM

kpiper wrote:

Shane seems like a very good guy.

JMart decided to not point out as well along with many others through the years. The AMA has a stupid rule. That is not Shane's doing.

This business can not work out in the best scenario for every rider. Only one person can win a title.

I hope Shane finds a good ride and has success. The sport needs good people and he is one.

At least Jeremy was honest and owned it. At Seattle 2019 I literally watched McElrath skim a brutal set of large whoops multiplel times that most 250 guys could barely get through, and then pull out of the night show with "back pain".

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

10/15/2020 11:22 AM

He's a frustrating guy to watch because he has champion speed and skill, but also looks like "rather be doing something else" apathy. No killer instinct.
I'd put him on a privateer 450 team, and see if he tries to earn his way back to a factory team. Though, you could also say Yamaha gave him that shot and he whiffed.
Test rider maybe?

|

10/15/2020 11:27 AM

Seems JGR isnt quiting as they posted their SX track prepped for offseason.

|

10/15/2020 11:34 AM

McElrath worked longer than almost any rider on Star's team, he was at the track the longest, and put in the most work on the bike. dude would run endless motos in the heat.

Star contractually forced him to live in Southern California, I just wonder if he would have done better if he was allowed to live and train at home back east, rather than a shitty one bedroom apartment in Murrieta...

|

10/15/2020 11:43 AM

Brent wrote:

McElrath worked longer than almost any rider on Star's team, he was at the track the longest, and put in the most work on the bike. dude would run endless motos in the heat.

Star contractually forced him to live in Southern California, I just wonder if he would have done better if he was allowed to live and train at home back east, rather than a shitty one bedroom apartment in Murrieta...

Seems odd he worked hardest but after holeshots went backwards like it was fitness issue at races? And secondly why he didnt get 2 bedroom apartment if that was problem?

|

10/15/2020 11:44 AM

Patrick_Potato wrote:

He's a frustrating guy to watch because he has champion speed and skill, but also looks like "rather be doing something else" apathy. No killer instinct.
I'd put him on a privateer 450 team, and see if he tries to earn his way back to a factory team. Though, you could also say Yamaha gave him that shot and he whiffed.
Test rider maybe?

He did well when he got a good start, but did not seem to be able to move through the pack at all if he didn't. I don't know what people expect Star to have done for him being that he was likely not going to be able to race 250's again. Personally, if he could stay on a 250 I think they would have taken him over either Nichols or Craig. He's never been wonderful outdoors from a series points perspective, but he's always been able to bring it indoors.

|

10/15/2020 2:24 PM

McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues to be one of the top talents in the US, yet you're all trashing him like he isn't worth a dime. Maybe Shane didn't play his cards perfectly, but he's certainly deserving of a factory supported ride.

That being said, I hate the AMA 250 class points rules. Shane, the Martin bros and Craig should all be moving up to the 450 class for 2021... and really should've years ago.

The MXGPs don't do it perfect either with their 23 Age Limit rule for MX2, but it's a better system than what we have here.

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

10/15/2020 3:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 3:19 PM

bayodome wrote:

McElrath was very strong outdoors, save for a few motos and took the SX East championship fight all the way to the final round. He continues to be one of the top talents in the US, yet you're all trashing him like he isn't worth a dime. Maybe Shane didn't play his cards perfectly, but he's certainly deserving of a factory supported ride.

That being said, I hate the AMA 250 class points rules. Shane, the Martin bros and Craig should all be moving up to the 450 class for 2021... and really should've years ago.

The MXGPs don't do it perfect either with their 23 Age Limit rule for MX2, but it's a better system than what we have here.

I disagree totally with making ridings move to the 450 class ever.

I agree with you that Shane is a top rider. Only one person can win. Nothing bad about top five riders. They are fast as heck.

|