Sexton out for RedBud

Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 12:42pm

|
Press516
Fantasy
90th
7/5/2019 12:30pm
Bummer... Hope to see him back to 100% soon.
7/5/2019 12:34pm
Damn that sucks. Hope to see him back soon.

But I wonder if we'll see more guys still having residual issues from Florida, I have think going out and exhausting yourself isn't going to be much help to getting back to 100%.
7/5/2019 12:41pm
I definitely think some of these guys that train hard everyday during the week need to ease back some and try to rest more. I think they exhaust themself before race day and then race day just takes so much, that they are making themselves sick. I hope Sexton gets himself back to 100% and comes back strong.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
7/5/2019 12:43pm
I hope this doesn’t have long term effects on him. Many people are extremely sensitive to heat after experiencing heat exhaustion that first time.

The Shop

McG194
7/5/2019 12:45pm
There is a break after Red Bud and I think they may want to look at doing it after WW next year.
It took me a week to recover and I was just a spectator.
Kyle_McNab
7/5/2019 1:17pm
Who ever made him ride between ww and south wick made a terrible decision. Is it not common sense he shouldn’t have been on the bike?
DoctorJD
7/5/2019 1:50pm
I hope this doesn’t have long term effects on him. Many people are extremely sensitive to heat after experiencing heat exhaustion that first time.
I suffered from heat exhaustion on a road bike ride a couple of years ago. It took me months to recover. It seems like you're hypersensitive to heat for a long time after you get heat exhaustion.
hamncheeze
7/5/2019 1:56pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Who ever made him ride between ww and south wick made a terrible decision. Is it not common sense he shouldn’t have been on the bike?
He probably forced himself to ride. I've heard all of the Sandbox guys (Roczen, AC, Seely, Craig) at some point say how hard Sexton works. He almost always does the most laps, the longest bike rides, etc. Some of that is dedication, but a tiny part of it can be insecurity. At his young age, he's learning some valuable lessons about pushing too hard in training. All of those guys from Sandbox were a bit flat at WW, and AC even said they all did too much.

Also, I said this before, but Blake Savage was coaching KR, Cole, Craig and I believe Sexton. One has to wonder with his horrible injury and not being around what effect that is having on the training programs. I'm sure he's still in contact but not being there firsthand to keep an eye on the fatigue is a big factor.
SWOHIO GUY
7/5/2019 2:02pm
Makes you wonder if the Florida national will return. Maybe they make it a night race?
Sweetd31
7/5/2019 2:12pm
DoctorJD wrote:
I suffered from heat exhaustion on a road bike ride a couple of years ago. It took me months to recover. It seems like you're hypersensitive...
I suffered from heat exhaustion on a road bike ride a couple of years ago. It took me months to recover. It seems like you're hypersensitive to heat for a long time after you get heat exhaustion.
Same, but mine was due to recently tinted windows, no A/C (high octane muscle car = very hot cabin+ gulf coast heat) and attempted an hour long drive not once, but twice. Very very dumb on my behalf... Been struggling ever since. Today, I could not even make a 10 minute drive in +100 heat index before having to pull into a Wendys to save my life.

This has been a nasty summer, if you are not sweating, get off the track/get indoors immediately.
500 Mike
7/5/2019 2:18pm
Something definitely needs to change for races in those kind of temps. Morning race, night race,..... something. It’s not worth putting these guys health in jeopardy like that.
mb60
7/5/2019 2:44pm
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
Makes you wonder if the Florida national will return. Maybe they make it a night race?
DC said something about being earlier on the schedule next year. Not sure Florida in May is any better then in June. Same with Texas as May through September is brutal.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/5/2019 3:21pm
So does Roczen have a similar problem? I wouldn't be surprised. He hasn't been the same after FL moto 2
Mr. Info
7/5/2019 3:35pm
Sweetd31 I know your trying to lighten up the seriousness of his issues but he doesn’t get paid if he doesn’t do his job and he could have problems from now on with hot or hot and humid races.
mark_swart
7/5/2019 3:36pm
So here's my question- was it better for him to go all out that first moto to establish that he had the speed to win, or would it have been better to back it down, survive, and lock down probably 3rd in the overall championship? I think you could make an argument for either.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
7/5/2019 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 3:47pm
mark_swart wrote:
So here's my question- was it better for him to go all out that first moto to establish that he had the speed to win, or...
So here's my question- was it better for him to go all out that first moto to establish that he had the speed to win, or would it have been better to back it down, survive, and lock down probably 3rd in the overall championship? I think you could make an argument for either.
If he had to push himself that hard to beat cooper jt wasnt worth it. Since then what have his results been like? Goose egg. Meanwhile Cooper is still racing and up front in the process.

I think Tomacs 7th in moto 1 might have been from his experience at Freestone his rookie year. Better to go 7-1 and have a chance at the title than fall apart like Roczen. Shoot, even a 7-7, while not ideal is better than one moto win and some dnfs or fading several races later.
dimetime
7/5/2019 3:48pm
DoctorJD wrote:
I suffered from heat exhaustion on a road bike ride a couple of years ago. It took me months to recover. It seems like you're hypersensitive...
Sweetd31 wrote:
Same, but mine was due to recently tinted windows, no A/C (high octane muscle car = very hot cabin+ gulf coast heat) and attempted an hour...
Same, but mine was due to recently tinted windows, no A/C (high octane muscle car = very hot cabin+ gulf coast heat) and attempted an hour long drive not once, but twice. Very very dumb on my behalf... Been struggling ever since. Today, I could not even make a 10 minute drive in +100 heat index before having to pull into a Wendys to save my life.

This has been a nasty summer, if you are not sweating, get off the track/get indoors immediately.
Another one here, l've never been the same after a summer vacation on the Colorado River when l was 13. It was in the 120s the first three days and we were on a "Camp Afloat" which was a barge you loaded you camper on. Thing did like 2 mph so there was never a breeze and since we had a tent trailer no AC either. Water temp was high 80s. No relief. By the third day l was fucking wrecked. My tolerance to heat has never been the same.
McG194
7/5/2019 3:52pm
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
Florida is here for the next 3 years and it's quite apparent that they are not afraid to spend money on the facility so if the AMA/Racer Productions wants it to be a night race I don't think that's a crazy idea.

I don't personally know the owners of WW Ranch but the people I know that know them say they are doing it for the right reasons. They care about the sport first and foremost and want to put on good events.
captmoto
7/5/2019 4:49pm
It sounds like he was bumping up against Rhabdomylosis. It is a killer and we watch closely during brush fire season out west. I wonder if he got sound medical advice after the race since he is still testing. The big deal is kidney damage with rhabdo.

https://www.healthline.com/health/rhabdomyolysis#outlook

My experience with heat exhaustion was at a fire.105 degrees in full turnout gear and air tank. I tapped the hydrant then ran about 80 yards, climbed a ladder to a second story and started swinging an ax. After about 10 minutes I got weak. There was no where to sit and rest. I could not get my gear off. I barely got my helmet off. I needed help to shed my air tank and coat. Getting down the ladder seemed to take forever and I was breathing hard at the bottom. I went back to the station and felt like I couldn't cool off or get enough water in me. I was totally shot for the rest of the shift but I don't remember any long term affects.
SWOHIO GUY
7/5/2019 4:53pm
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Florida is here for the next 3 years and it's quite apparent that they are not afraid to spend money on the facility so if the...
Florida is here for the next 3 years and it's quite apparent that they are not afraid to spend money on the facility so if the AMA/Racer Productions wants it to be a night race I don't think that's a crazy idea.

I don't personally know the owners of WW Ranch but the people I know that know them say they are doing it for the right reasons. They care about the sport first and foremost and want to put on good events.
I love the track and it’s my odds on favorite to have the next MXofN in the US. The heat is just something unreal, maybe some portable lighting and have the first moto start at 8pm, you could maybe if the timing is right and the networks are for it having the whole thing live on NBC.
kpiper
7/5/2019 4:57pm
I am pretty sure Sexton commented that he did not feel bad until he stopped after that moto win. Not many of us would slow down when you are leading especially if you felt ok.

And it is interesting that the two training buddies, Sexton and Roczen seem to be suffering the most from the Florida race.

Everyone else seemed to ride well at Southwick except those two.
Highflier
7/5/2019 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 5:07pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
hamncheeze wrote:
He probably forced himself to ride. I've heard all of the Sandbox guys (Roczen, AC, Seely, Craig) at some point say how hard Sexton works. He...
He probably forced himself to ride. I've heard all of the Sandbox guys (Roczen, AC, Seely, Craig) at some point say how hard Sexton works. He almost always does the most laps, the longest bike rides, etc. Some of that is dedication, but a tiny part of it can be insecurity. At his young age, he's learning some valuable lessons about pushing too hard in training. All of those guys from Sandbox were a bit flat at WW, and AC even said they all did too much.

Also, I said this before, but Blake Savage was coaching KR, Cole, Craig and I believe Sexton. One has to wonder with his horrible injury and not being around what effect that is having on the training programs. I'm sure he's still in contact but not being there firsthand to keep an eye on the fatigue is a big factor.
I listened to the Weege pod with Bailey today, it was from last week before Southwick.
Sexton was on it talking about his problem in Florida that he couldn’t cool down after 1st moto.
He then said the next week he rode 3 days and his dad wouldn’t let him go into air conditioning between his practice motos to cool down and recover.
His dad made him sit out in the heat.
Dumb, very dumb.

Sounds like he should fire his dad as a trainer
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
7/5/2019 5:15pm
1. Marvin Musquin (KTM) 1-2
2. Zach Osborne (Husqvarna) 3-1
3. Eli Tomac (Kawasaki) 2-3
4. Cooper Webb (KTM) 4-4
5. Jason Anderson (Husqvarna) 7-5

Aldon's boys didn't have a problem. He knows when to back it down depending on the weekends load on his athletes.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
7/5/2019 5:17pm
gt80rider wrote:
Over heating is no freakn joke..
Granted I'm no kid anymore, (in my 40's), but I'm in pretty decent shape. Not overweight, and I take pretty good care of myself. I've always been one that can take the midwest high humidity heat with plenty of fluids and, seeking shade when needed. I've always made a living in the elements, so keeping an eye on myself has always been on my mind. But, there is something to be said about this summer and the rather strange heat we are having. It has put me on my ass twice in one month, the last one really making me take a different look at things. I was up on my parents roof cleaning out their gutters for a spell, then hopped down to powerwash the mess I made below. Within an hour of doing so, I was 5 bottles of water deep into thirst with no end in sight. Every muscle hurt, and I had parts of me hurting I didn't even know I owned. Top it off, I was freezing to death, all while being in the AC at 72. I didn't do much the next couple of days, nor pissed much.....but eventually came around. Fast forward 2 weeks, all the same again from simply mowing the pasture. We have had record flooding here this year, so it's really humid. But as silly as it sounds, there seems to be a hell of a difference between 85 and 92 this summer, and July just started. Guys, especially those of us who work in the elements, please be aware this shit can put us down with no warning. Look after yourselves.......
mxbrian15
7/5/2019 5:28pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
hamncheeze wrote:
He probably forced himself to ride. I've heard all of the Sandbox guys (Roczen, AC, Seely, Craig) at some point say how hard Sexton works. He...

Highflier wrote:
I listened to the Weege pod with Bailey today, it was from last week before Southwick. Sexton was on it talking about his problem in Florida...
I listened to the Weege pod with Bailey today, it was from last week before Southwick.
Sexton was on it talking about his problem in Florida that he couldn’t cool down after 1st moto.
He then said the next week he rode 3 days and his dad wouldn’t let him go into air conditioning between his practice motos to cool down and recover.
Dumb, very dumb.

Wow. If that’s true, that’s insane and such a horrible train of thought. I live and train in Florida. Ride every weekend. The heat and humidity is ridiculous this time of year.
brocster
7/5/2019 5:30pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
hamncheeze wrote:

Highflier wrote:
I listened to the Weege pod with Bailey today, it was from last week before Southwick. Sexton was on it talking about his problem in Florida...
Dumb, very dumb.

Maybe his dad should jog around the track the entire time Chase is out doing a moto and they can “rest and cool down” in the heat together and see how that works out. Chase has been “touched” by the heat and his threshold is now lower for a re occurance, not higher and going about it the way his dad thinks doesn’t make you tougher or more resistant against it, once you have been “touched”. Bad call motodad!
McG194
7/5/2019 5:36pm
gt80rider wrote:
Over heating is no freakn joke..
dadofagun wrote:
Granted I'm no kid anymore, (in my 40's), but I'm in pretty decent shape. Not overweight, and I take pretty good care of myself. I've always...
Granted I'm no kid anymore, (in my 40's), but I'm in pretty decent shape. Not overweight, and I take pretty good care of myself. I've always been one that can take the midwest high humidity heat with plenty of fluids and, seeking shade when needed. I've always made a living in the elements, so keeping an eye on myself has always been on my mind. But, there is something to be said about this summer and the rather strange heat we are having. It has put me on my ass twice in one month, the last one really making me take a different look at things. I was up on my parents roof cleaning out their gutters for a spell, then hopped down to powerwash the mess I made below. Within an hour of doing so, I was 5 bottles of water deep into thirst with no end in sight. Every muscle hurt, and I had parts of me hurting I didn't even know I owned. Top it off, I was freezing to death, all while being in the AC at 72. I didn't do much the next couple of days, nor pissed much.....but eventually came around. Fast forward 2 weeks, all the same again from simply mowing the pasture. We have had record flooding here this year, so it's really humid. But as silly as it sounds, there seems to be a hell of a difference between 85 and 92 this summer, and July just started. Guys, especially those of us who work in the elements, please be aware this shit can put us down with no warning. Look after yourselves.......
A few weeks ago I actually had to leave work a few hours early because I was getting lightheaded and dizzy. I have had heat exhaustion/ heat stroke whatever it is before so I kinda know when it's coming on and pulled the plug. Proudly I was still too tough to actually see a doctor about it. The next day I still wasn't recovered and stayed home.

I was at WW Ranch from Thursday at about 2:00 until Sunday and I rode my bicycle back to the camper between motos to get in the air conditioning and pound more beverages.
APLMAN99
7/5/2019 5:50pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
hamncheeze wrote:

Highflier wrote:
Dumb, very dumb.

That's the jackass approach of thinking that heat injuries are related to toughness and manhood......
omalley
7/5/2019 6:06pm
captmoto wrote:
It sounds like he was bumping up against Rhabdomylosis. It is a killer and we watch closely during brush fire season out west. I wonder if...
It sounds like he was bumping up against Rhabdomylosis. It is a killer and we watch closely during brush fire season out west. I wonder if he got sound medical advice after the race since he is still testing. The big deal is kidney damage with rhabdo.

https://www.healthline.com/health/rhabdomyolysis#outlook

My experience with heat exhaustion was at a fire.105 degrees in full turnout gear and air tank. I tapped the hydrant then ran about 80 yards, climbed a ladder to a second story and started swinging an ax. After about 10 minutes I got weak. There was no where to sit and rest. I could not get my gear off. I barely got my helmet off. I needed help to shed my air tank and coat. Getting down the ladder seemed to take forever and I was breathing hard at the bottom. I went back to the station and felt like I couldn't cool off or get enough water in me. I was totally shot for the rest of the shift but I don't remember any long term affects.
I know my side of the fence likes to razz you guys (and you, us), but when the chips are down I have huge respect for what you do. I’ve seen some stuff on assist fire calls that would’ve given me the willies...Thank you for your service.

Post a reply to: Sexton out for RedBud

The Latest