Senoir rider, what am I doing wrong? Help me

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2018 3:14 PM

Ok, call me dumb mabey, but here's what I'm trying to do:. Returning since the 80's and I rode MX bikes alot, but never raced. I raced go- karts. But now I have a '95 yz250. And it's very fast. I'm getting pretty comfortable goin fast, and most every thing has come back, to me, except....haha. I'm simply tryin a wheelie, and for the life of me it's not happening. After Countless YouTube instructions, it ain't working. When that bike DOES pull the front end up, it's not cause I was trying. I'm just going slow pace, foot covering brake, second gear, Poppin clutch, and either back wheel spins out, or it comes up a few inches and takes off! Then I try first gear, and same thing. What's goin on?

|

4/2/2018 3:27 PM

This should have been posted yesterday.

|

4/2/2018 3:30 PM

??

|

4/2/2018 3:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 3:33 PM

This is a situation where I would ordinarily recommend an aftermarket powerband however I'm going to suggest you keep trying. Try throwing your wait forward a bit to compress the forks then time it with your throttle and clutch to get the front wheel up.

If all else fails, try, try again, or get an aftermarket powerband suitable for pulling rad wheelies.

|

4/2/2018 3:36 PM

You are going to go through a lot of rear fenders. You need to get you weight back more and feather clutch in second gear to get that pop. Again. Be prepared to go through a lot of rear fenders while you learn.

|

4/2/2018 3:46 PM

Apparently, this is a thing...

Photo

|

4/2/2018 7:07 PM

Get a cat! Or slide back further on the seat!

|

4/2/2018 7:08 PM

Hola senoir. If you want to rip the wheelies, get a 75 tooth rear sprocket on that bad-azz YZinger. You can't fail with a sprocket almost as big as the rear wheel. Pulling mega-wheelies up and down your street is a guaranteed panty-dropper.

|

4/2/2018 7:14 PM

Harry Backmon wrote:

Hola senoir. If you want to rip the wheelies, get a 75 tooth rear sprocket on that bad-azz YZinger. You can't fail with a ...more

Valid points!

|

4/2/2018 7:18 PM

Ya gotta give her the beans.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

4/2/2018 7:19 PM

Make sure the clutch is in actual working order and not a disintegrated original from '95.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

4/2/2018 7:22 PM

If you have any hills around try practicing on the incline. It gives the bike a angle where it’s easier to lift the front end and it also keeps your speed down. Once u begin to get a good feel for it on a hill then apply the same techniques on level ground

|

4/2/2018 7:22 PM

Learn to wheelie your mountain bike really well and then come back to this.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

4/2/2018 7:24 PM

Pull up on the bars really really really hard

|

Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst.

4/2/2018 7:26 PM

Squid wants to be a comedian
I'm not THAT rookie

|

4/2/2018 7:29 PM

KennyT wrote:

If you have any hills around try practicing on the incline. It gives the bike a angle where it’s easier to lift the front end ...more

Best advice right here. That's how I learned many years ago.

|

4/2/2018 7:38 PM

KennyT wrote:

If you have any hills around try practicing on the incline. It gives the bike a angle where it’s easier to lift the front end ...more

Steadman wrote:

Sorry, Bros. I can't go along with this. If Senoir mounts the sprocket below, he will be the wheelie champ of his local area. Also, Senoir, please use a calibrated torque wrench when fastening your sprocket to the rear hub.

Photo

|

4/2/2018 7:57 PM

KennyT wrote:

Steadman wrote:

Harry Backmon wrote:

Sorry, Bros. I can't go along with this. If Senoir mounts the sprocket below, he will be the wheelie champ of his local area. ...more

This set up will pull wheelies and babes for days.Local legend Wild Wheelie Willie runs this sprocket (but one tooth larger) He also added the Answer Roost Boost for extra hit. Sprocket bolts checked daily.

|

4/2/2018 8:01 PM

If this isn't an April fool thing........try getting into 3rd, sit way back on the seat, keep your chest way back, arms straight,
Grab a handful, Let the motor pull. When you start hitting the power band, that front should start to come up.
If it isn't you're pussying out and leaning forward.

Anyone remember this guy?
Watched him do the whole Unadilla track, Hill included.

|

4/2/2018 8:03 PM

That's like a "Speedway" sprocket,. Lol

|

4/2/2018 8:23 PM

Rick_Art wrote:

That's like a "Speedway" sprocket,. Lol

Haha right? Things a monster!

|

4/2/2018 8:38 PM

Do it in first gear up a hill, slower is better. You dont need the clutch, just gas on, then gas off the gas on again, that will load up the fork spring and you will pop a sweet wheelie. Dont try and do a goon powerstand, finding the fulcrum is key.

|

4/2/2018 8:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 8:58 PM

I think rotaholic has said it best. I haven't heard of that one before, so I'm going to try it tomorrow. & Try not to Goon stand it,. Lol. My problem is I am dead center of a big city, but near by my storage... where the yz is, ...is a vacant lot, like a pasture, really smooth, but there's 1 spot that has a slight incline.

|

4/2/2018 9:13 PM

These guys aren't wrong, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Here's how I see it: when you're going slow, pull in the clutch, rev it up higher, and let out the clutch, you're either going to spin the rear, or pop the front up so fast, you'll throw your weight forward to try to stop this thing from happening, and not really feel it.

If I may... get going a little bit faster. Not super fast, but maybe like, second gear, middle of the gear, where it's juuuuuust starting to maybe get into the power a little. Like dudes above said, weight back, extend your arms if you can, pull in the clutch, rev it just a few thousand more than you're at, and let the clutch out smoothly but fairly quickly.

If you want to have a really smooth "first wheelie", do it in third and power wheelie. This time, go maybe 3/4 of the gear, where it's just starting to put the power out, sit back, pull in the clutch, rev it a few thousand, let it out. Did it come up too fast? Then go a little higher in the gear (let the rpms come up even higher) before revving it, it will come up slower. Did it not come up fast enough? Rev it just a little bit more before you let the clutch out, and repeat.

Have fun!

|

4/3/2018 6:07 AM

Take off front tire. Apply throttle

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

4/3/2018 8:06 AM

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

Ya gotta give her the beans.

Winner!

|

4/3/2018 8:12 AM

Sit farther back on the seat pull in the clutch and give it a ton of gas, on a hill.

|

4/3/2018 12:58 PM

Motocross Kid wrote:

This is a situation where I would ordinarily recommend an aftermarket powerband however I'm going to suggest you keep trying. ...more

Wierdo

|

4/3/2018 3:49 PM

Whatever you end up doing.. please have someone film it. And post here. Thank you in advance.

|

4/3/2018 3:58 PM

I got so much comic , haggling replies ,. thanx but no thanx.

|